Kings extend QOs to Queta and Ellis

I wonder when we hear the next update in the Queta saga...This is like one of those TV shows that just never ends.. every episode finishes with a cliffhanger
G-league MVP runner up last year who posted gaudy numbers with no offer incoming says a lot. Maybe he's waiting for the best offer sheet but seems like that would've been offered by now

G-league MVP runner up last year who posted gaudy numbers with no offer incoming says a lot. Maybe he's waiting for the best offer sheet but seems like that would've been offered by now
I'm guessing Queta will accept the 3rd 2-way slot from the Kings.... The Kings big roster is full of bigs now, but spots may open up next season.... he's just not ready for the big club yet..... I think it would be fair to give him one more year in Stockton and see if he figures things out.....

I think Queta should spend one more year in the G-league.

Get a little more experience under his belt didn't he start playing basketball later he might still need more time to just get better.

There is rumours Queta will get offered a contract from Partizan for the Euroleague/ABA, currently they only have former GSW Smailagic (to small/crap to be a starting Euroleague C) and unproven Balsa Koprovica at C and desperately need a upgrade. It will be interesting to see if he does sign because former Kings Eric Mika signed for the same team a few years ago and failed pretty badly for whatever reason. Also I'm not sure if the coach will tolerate him he hates players who have mental lapses/non high motor which Queta is both.

I think at this point Euroleague experience might be better than the G-League where he does not have much to prove.

Last edited:
There is rumours Queta will get offered a contract from Partizan for the Euroleague/ABA, currently they only have former GSW Smailagic (to small/crap to be a starting Euroleague C) and unproven Balsa Koprovica at C and desperately need a upgrade. It will be interesting to see if he does sign because former Kings Eric Mika signed for the same team a few years ago and failed pretty badly for whatever reason. Also I'm not sure if the coach will tolerate him he hates players who have mental lapses/non high motor which Queta is both.

I think at this point Euroleague experience might be better than the G-League where he does not have much to prove.
I agree this sounds better for him.. The idea that its 'best for Queta' to just resign here on a two-way, I dont buy that at all (Noel being signed here is the final nail in that coffin), its a matter of stepping up to the next level of competition, Queta has made his point in the G-League, getting him back there sure works for the Kings/Kings fans, but I dont think that makes much sense from Queta's POV, he should be looking to get paid Market-value, n his market value is above a two-way contract..

I'm sure your familiar with Edy Tavares... To me Queta is sort of near that same talent level as he was, (Queta's far more polished too), Edy's good enough to play in the NBA, but its gotta be a really good teamfit and contract n things are just a lil off, Queta seems to be in a similar boat, n honestly lots of C's are, this is a situation that happens more with pure C's than other positions.

Last edited:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member

Not only is that better for Queta, it's probably better for the Kings as well. At this point if Neemy signed a two way deal, he'd only have a chance at being the 3rd (or possibly 4th depending on how Lyles is used) center with the big club if there were an injury. He'd likely improve more and get paid more in the Euroleague.

As for the Kings, right now they don't have a 3rd PG, so signing Jordan Ford to that last two way deal gives them PG insurance while still leaving open a roster spot for another defensive wing if they choose to go that route.

I'm sure your familiar with Edy Tavares... To me Queta is sort of near that same talent level as he was, (Queta's far more polished too), Edy's good enough to play in the NBA, but its gotta be a really good teamfit and contract n things are just a lil off, Queta seems to be in a similar boat, n honestly lots of C's are, this is a situation that happens more with pure C's than other positions.
Yeah even Jahlil Okafor just signed for Aday Mara's former club which is a bottom/at best fighting to be middle tier team in Spain. In regards to Queta how man players have been in the GLeague for 3 years and made it to the NBA? (Marko Simonovic just get cut and signed to Partizan rivals and he was in the same boat 2-3 years of GLeague and now is 24 as well).Like I understand if he was 17-18 going on to 20/21 and needed to develop but at 21-24 it's kind of tough imo. Queta is good enough to play in the NBA in some role but it doesn't mean your an NBA player sadly getting a chance is the hardest part for most players.

Tavares literally was the biggest reason Real Madrid won the title this year, he's built for the Euro game with no defensive 3 second rule. Some other decent bigs that were cut from the NBA have made nice careers recently like Brandon Davies (76ers) and Motley (Clippers/Dallas), Jan Vesaly/ Big Papa comes to mind.

Last edited:
I agree this sounds better for him.. The idea that its 'best for Queta' to just resign here on a two-way, I dont buy that at all (Noel being signed here is the final nail in that coffin), its a matter of stepping up to the next level of competition, Queta has made his point in the G-League, getting him back there sure works for the Kings/Kings fans, but I dont think that makes much sense from Queta's POV, he should be looking to get paid Market-value, n his market value is above a two-way contract..

From a purely financial perspective, how does the salary in a 2-way contract work if he accepts the QO?

I don't know the value of the QO, but the 2-way contract value is quite low
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-way_contract#Basketball

If the QO is higher, and he gets signed to a 2-way, what will be his salary? Just wondering if he will be financially better off playing here vs Europe.

From a purely financial perspective, how does the salary in a 2-way contract work if he accepts the QO?

If the QO is higher, and he gets signed to a 2-way, what will be his salary? Just wondering if he will be financially better off playing here vs Europe.
Well I hate to not respond to your question directly... BUT

"financially better off" is a kind of thing that goes more than one way... are we talking upfront money? cuz for me, If im his agent, I want him in a spot where he can showcase for an even bigger payday, that to me represents 'financially better off', the opportunity, rather than cash upfront, cuz he's still relatively young.

Yeah even Jahlil Okafor just signed for Aday Mara's former club which is a bottom/at best fighting to be middle tier team in Spain. In regards to Queta how man players have been in the GLeague for 3 years and made it to the NBA? (Marko Simonovic just get cut and signed to Partizan rivals and he was in the same boat 2-3 years of GLeague and now is 24 as well).Like I understand if he was 17-18 going on to 20/21 and needed to develop but at 21-24 it's kind of tough imo. Queta is good enough to play in the NBA in some role but it doesn't mean your an NBA player sadly getting a chance is the hardest part for most players.

Tavares literally was the biggest reason Real Madrid won the title this year, he's built for the Euro game with no defensive 3 second rule. Some other decent bigs that were cut from the NBA have made nice careers recently like Brandon Davies (76ers) and Motley (Clippers/Dallas), Jan Vesaly/ Big Papa comes to mind.
ah I was a believer in Jonathan Motley.. Injuries got in his way of transitioning to the NBA I think.. big believer in Tavares too

As for your question of "How many players have been in the g-league for 3 years and made it to the NBA?" I think its a very good question, but I'd almost expect the answer to surprise ya how many (though I dont have data)

I think we can pull the QO. I think extending it was more of a cap mechanism than actually offering him a roster spot.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Just guessing here, but I suspect that after last season Queta and his team felt he should get some interest from an NBA team. He had by any measure, an outstanding season and is a gifted big. So the QO from the Kings for a 2-way was nice insurance but not what they were looking for. Unfortunately, his inconsistent play in SL raises questions. I will still not be surprised to see him offered a slot on an NBA team at vet min, but I hope in terms of development he and his team can delay gratification for a season so he can get big min as a starter for one more year. I have not given up on him, but being the 3rd or 4th big on a bench with only garbage min at this point will not help him develop nearly as much a two-way where he can practice with the NBA team and play in the G League one more year. We will just have to see what offers he gets, but I would hate to see the Kings pull the QO as much as I would love to see Ford in Stockton.

Well I hate to not respond to your question directly... BUT

"financially better off" is a kind of thing that goes more than one way... are we talking upfront money? cuz for me, If im his agent, I want him in a spot where he can showcase for an even bigger payday, that to me represents 'financially better off', the opportunity, rather than cash upfront, cuz he's still relatively young.
Oh I agree. Was just curious.

That said, I think HndsmCelt's post helped me understand a bit better, as also Keon's situation. The QO is likely for a 2-way, and is probably minimal in value.

I will hate to see him put up big numbers for some other team, but I don't see much of a future for him with us (at least not short term). With Len and Noel on one year deals, there could be minutes available next year. It's possible that he would have moved on by then.