Kings extend QOs to Queta and Ellis

That leaves no path for Jake Stephens to ever play with the Kings. Another NBA team could come along and sweep him up with an offer. The front office could have waited until after Summer League to make these final decisions.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Teams are only allowed up to TWO 2-way contracts. How are they signing Queta when they also had Slawson as a 2-way contract.
Queta already had two two-way contracts, this year would be a vet minimum deal with the NBA team. As other posters noted the King still can sign two more two way players under the new CBA

Queta already had two two-way contracts, this year would be a vet minimum deal with the NBA team. As other posters noted the King still can sign two more two way players under the new CBA
So where does that leave Stephens? If he has potential, we should know pretty soon...

It would be cool if Jake Stephens worked out in the NBA. Hope the Kings have room for him. He shoots the three well and is really long!

ThereĀ“s new rules this year in the CBA, A player can be signed for a Third year 2-way contract and Teams can sign 3 2-way contract for this season.

So technically Neemy can sign as a 2-way also, however, I don't think hes interested, which is understandable.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
So far:

Colby Jones signed a four year NBA contract
Keon Ellis signed a two way deal
Jalen Slawson signed a two way deal
Jake Stephens signed an Exhibit 10 deal
Neemius Queta was given a qualifying offer

The Kings still have one two way contract available.

The Kings also exercised their option on Kessler Edwards contract for next season.

The following players are under contract or have agreed to a deal:

C Sabonis/Len
PF Barnes/Lyles/Vezenkov
SF Murray/Edwards/Duarte
SF Huerter/Monk/Jones
PG Fox/Mitchell/Dozier (unguaranteed)

Right now the Kings have one open roster spot, though they can create a second by not guaranteeing Dozier's contract for this year.

Queta has been given a QO but is currently not signed to a contract.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. A quick web search turns up a couple of clarifications on Exhibit 10:

https://www.sportskeeda.com/basketball/what-exhibit-10-contract-nba

<An Exhibit 10 contract gives a franchise the flexibility to convert it into a two-way deal, but the team has to ensure that it happens before the commencement of the regular season. Exhibit 10 deals are usually non-guaranteed, which means the team can waive the player and get the cap hit off their payroll.

If a player is on an Exhibit 10 contract with a particular team, it would allow him to participate in that franchise's training camp. The team will control that player's G League rights, and he is eligible to get $50,000 if he manages to spend 60+ days with the G-League affiliate. Signing a basketball athlete to an Exhibit 10 contract works out well for NBA teams, who hold the option to cut them or include them in the roster if they play well.>

https://www.sportsbusinessclassroom.com/what-exhibits-comprise-an-nba-contract/

<Additionally, a player who is waived (and clears waivers) before the season on Exhibit 10 can sign with the G League to play for the NBA teamā€™s affiliate franchise. If that player sticks with the G League team for at least 60 days, theyā€™ll receive their Exhibit 10 bonus. An affiliate player in the G League is technically a free agent eligible to sign with any NBA team.>

I would not be surprised if Stephens ends up in training camp, given that he is the first player to sign an Exhibit 10 contract with the team.

I hope Queta will either accept his QO or be signed to the roster by the kings. I believe the Kings will regret it if he's gone and another team gets him.

Queta doesn't look ready for the big league club yet. I wouldn't mind if we brought back Queta on a 2-way and then signed Harry Giles to a minimum contract to see what he has to offer.

Giles shot looks a lot better, his mobility looks good and his passing would be as close to Sabonis-like as any center still available in the FA market. IMHO, Giles still has some upside if his knees can hold up.

Queta doesn't look ready for the big league club yet. I wouldn't mind if we brought back Queta on a 2-way and then signed Harry Giles to a minimum contract to see what he has to offer.

Giles shot looks a lot better, his mobility looks good and his passing would be as close to Sabonis-like as any center still available in the FA market. IMHO, Giles still has some upside if his knees can hold up.
I don't like the idea of rewarding Harry Giles with a roster spot over a 3rd year player that we've spent 2 years developing in our farm system on consecutive 2-way contracts. It would be a bad look for future prospects and agents, especially because Harry hasn't played professional basketball in over a year. The last time he played was in the 2021-2022 season in the GLeague, but he suffered a season ended injury in January of 2022.

If it's similar to Moneke's partially guaranteed deal.. then I might consider it. But I think we have to move on from Giles. It's a new regime and entirely new group. I don't think his NBA comeback aligns with the Kings' aspirations of contending in the playoffs. It might even serve a bit as a distraction because Giles is a fan favorite and our local media might keep asking coach about Giles' pt throughout the season. We don't really need that here.

I don't like the idea of rewarding Harry Giles with a roster spot over a 3rd year player that we've spent 2 years developing in our farm system on consecutive 2-way contracts. It would be a bad look for future prospects and agents, especially because Harry hasn't played professional basketball in over a year. The last time he played was in the 2021-2022 season in the GLeague, but he suffered a season ended injury in January of 2022.

If it's similar to Moneke's partially guaranteed deal.. then I might consider it. But I think we have to move on from Giles. It's a new regime and entirely new group. I don't think his NBA comeback aligns with the Kings' aspirations of contending in the playoffs. It might even serve a bit as a distraction because Giles is a fan favorite and our local media might keep asking coach about Giles' pt throughout the season. We don't really need that here.
Yeah, the problem is does Queta deserve loyalty at this point? Not saying we go get Giles, but there's still a pile of actual viable back-ups still unsigned:

Wood (pipe dream, but maybe he inks a vet min prove it deal)
Biyombo
Kaminksy
Willy Hernangomez
Dieng

Summer league was fairly discouraging tbh. I've always championed to not put too much stock into whatever we see in SL, but this was his 3rd summer, he was coming off a G-League MVP, he was one of the best players last year... and he just looked more or less the same as he did his first summer, just in better shape. Moments of brilliance, but wildly inconsistent. I wanted him to just really show "Yeah, I'm ready for the NBA squad, give me my 15 MPG role right now" and it wasn't there at all.

Yeah, the problem is does Queta deserve loyalty at this point? Not saying we go get Giles, but there's still a pile of actual viable back-ups still unsigned:

Biyombo
Kaminksy
Willy Hernangomez
Dieng

Summer league was fairly discouraging tbh. I've always championed to not put too much stock into whatever we see in SL, but this was his 3rd summer, he was coming off a G-League MVP, he was one of the best players last year... and he just looked more or less the same as he did his first summer, just in better shape. Moments of brilliance, but wildly inconsistent. I wanted him to just really show "Yeah, I'm ready for the NBA squad, give me my 15 MPG role right now" and it wasn't there at all.
I don't think Queta is ready to play 15mpg for the Kings. The issue comes down to roster construction + player personnel. Our goal next season is to be a contending team. We have a very filled out roster with players who fit our offense. The Kings' MO last year with the starters was to run the offense through Sabonis. But when Sabonis sat down, the goal was to run our offense through guard play. Some might suggest that we only had heavy guard play in the 2nd unit because we didn't have anyone who could emulate Sabonis on offense, but I disagree. I think Coach Brown wanted find ways to unleash Monk, Davion, and Fox against the bench lineups. But with that in mind, it means that our backup C just needs to be a traditional C who can protect the paint, grab rebounds, get putbacks, but get out to the way on offense.

In the SL, Queta struggled most when he was asked to play within that traditional C role. The times we saw him excel is when we gave him a longer leash and let him expand more on his offense. I didn't watch a lot of the GL team last year, but I wouldn't be surprised if he had a much more concentrated role on offense than he did during our SL where we ran exclusively through Keegan.

This makes things difficult for Queta. We're trying to win games and we can't really afford to give Queta minutes to go through his normal growing pains as a young inexperienced player. Mike Brown has asked a lot out of all his players and we've seen how quick he is to pull guys. I don't think Queta can fit in the mold of a 15mpg center who does all the little stuff. He can't even do it in SL. He'd probably be best on another team where he can showcase more of his all-around game. I didn't really see the growth I was hoping for.

It gets tricky because I think he should probably be back on a 2-way, but I'd let him explore other options if he thinks there's a better opportunity out there for him.

But tying it into my original point, I'd probably rather convert Queta into a 1 year minimum contract than sign Giles. At least it looks like we're rewarding our guys for sticking with us vs. paying an unknown who hasn't played basketball in over a year.

Queta had too many mental lapses during summer league. No way Mike Brown give him minutes on the big league squad this year. Brown and Monte is all about high basketball IQ players who make the right plays and Queta is not there yet.

Giles has one of the highest BBIQ of any prospect that had played for the Kings. The Kings did spend 3+ years developing him too. His problem was always his knees and whether they could hold up, it wasn't a question of talent or BBIQ. Giles is still only 25 and if he's healthy now, I think he has a better chance of helping our team win this year than Queta.

Last edited:

Biyombo
Kaminksy
Willy Hernangomez
Dieng

Queta's Visa got delayed for around 2 months, so He arrived to the US 48 hours before the California classic started, that means he spent the last months or so without any type of specialized practices except for a couple training sessions in Lisbon, that also means he arrived way behind everyone else in terms of conditioning and game rhythm .

If Harry makes an NBA roster he will be sitting on the bench and at this stage of his career I don't see the point. Granted, his life not mine, but why not play a year internationally? Get playing time, showcase yourself, have a good life experience overseas e.g., in the NBL?

I'm not super convinced re Queta but as a cheap backup to our backup I don't see the harm in having him around for one more year.

Harry Giles III has performed as an actual NBA player. Neemias Queta has not yet proven he can do that, even in Summer League. He was offered a contract and has yet to sign it. I trust Mr. McNair to make the right decision, but if Mike Brown wants Giles, the offer will be rescinded.

The Kings also have the option of signing Christian Wood, another proven NBA player.

Harry Giles III has performed as an actual NBA player. Neemias Queta has not yet proven he can do that, even in Summer League. He was offered a contract and has yet to sign it. I trust Mr. McNair to make the right decision, but if Mike Brown wants Giles, the offer will be rescinded.

The Kings also have the option of signing Christian Wood, another proven NBA player.
Or Nerlens Noel. No, he was not on my radar, that signing was totally out of the blue.