KING IN ARABIC

I'd be surprised to see a team seeing Monk as a 20+ million a year player but you never know all it takes is one. The issue for Monte moving forward is signing Monk at the max means that unless Monte dumps salary somewhere adding in FA with much of his MLE isn't happening. The Kings will be right around that 1st apron area without moves. This really feels like Monte has set himself up to make a move on draft night as one of his only options to go into the summer with some ability to improve. I still think the playoffs are the big factor. If the Kings disappoint I think Monte could very well look to get aggressive when it comes to a big deal.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I still think the best is for him to sign a 2 year + 1 player option at the 17.x base for the early-Bird. That way if he gets hurt he is protected. Plus the he doesn't need to be paid some obscene amount to "make up" for what he lost. Just 2-3 extra per year on the next deal.

Of course it doesn't really matter if someone throws 20+ at him.

These are the only teams that can outbid us. Not many fits for his services. I still really only consider the Magic and Spurs as potentially good fits but both have invested in first rounders that could potentially block a starting job for Monk (Black for the Magic and Branham for the Spurs)

Detroit Pistons ($58 million to $64 million),

Orlando Magic ($47 million to $69 million),

Philadelphia 76ers ($44 million to $64 million),

Utah Jazz ($39 million to $44 million)

Toronto Raptors ($23 million to $46 million),

Oklahoma City Thunder ($35 million),

Charlotte Hornets (up to $35 million, possibly over the cap),

San Antonio Spurs ($21 million)

These are the only teams that can outbid us. Not many fits for his services. I still really only consider the Magic and Spurs as potentially good fits but both have invested in first rounders that could potentially block a starting job for Monk (Black for the Magic and Branham for the Spurs)

Detroit Pistons ($58 million to $64 million),

Orlando Magic ($47 million to $69 million),

Philadelphia 76ers ($44 million to $64 million),

Utah Jazz ($39 million to $44 million)

Toronto Raptors ($23 million to $46 million),

Oklahoma City Thunder ($35 million),

Charlotte Hornets (up to $35 million, possibly over the cap),

San Antonio Spurs ($21 million)
The problem is that teams have a minimum NBA salary floor and these teams with a lot of salary cap space needs to spend just to get to the floor. Seeing that these rebuilding teams would have no shot and no use for top tier or high priced FA, signing a player like Monk would help bring them to the floor and is young enough to be part of their rebuild.

The Magic would be the biggest threat, because they have the money, a starting SG spot and are already a playoff caliber team. But don't underestimate a team like Detroit throwing stupid money at a free agent just to sign someone to get to the salary floor.

Last edited:
The problem is that teams have a minimum NBA salary floor and these teams with a lot of salary cap space needs to spend just to get to the floor. Seeing that these rebuilding teams would have no shot and no use for top tier or high priced FA, signing a player like Monk would help bring them to the floor and is young enough to be part of their rebuild.

The Magic would be the biggest threat, because they have the money, a starting SG spot and are already a playoff caliber team. But don't underestimate a team like Detroit throwing stupid money at a free agent just to sign someone to get to the salary floor.
Detroit wants a power forward and they have Cade/Ivey there already. It’s not impossible but I think it’s very unlikely.

Magic tend to like long players so he may not be a fit and would make for a smallish backcourt with Suggs. It would also be kinda punting on Anthony Black who they used a top pick on. They are a team to circle for sure but the threat feels moderate.

Detroit wants a power forward and they have Cade/Ivey there already. It’s not impossible but I think it’s very unlikely.

Magic tend to like long players so he may not be a fit and would make for a smallish backcourt with Suggs. It would also be kinda punting on Anthony Black who they used a top pick on. They are a team to circle for sure but the threat feels moderate.
We shall see. I'm really hoping y'all are right and the Kings will be able to re-sign Malik.

IMO, our best chance may be to try and get him to agree to the 4 years/$78 mil contract right before the start of free agency, like what Naz Reid and HB did this past summer. Get him locked up before the free agency period begins.

Great piece by Slater. On the flip side, he also said this:

“Monk felt he should’ve won Sixth Man last season. He finished fifth behind Malcolm Brogdon, Immanuel Quickley, Bobby Portis and Norman Powell. He’s expected to win it this season. Monk admitted it’s an award he desires. But don’t mistake that for a full-on embrace. He doesn’t necessarily love the fact that he never starts.

“Hell no,” Monk laughs. “Hell no I don’t like it. But, s—, it’s what I got to do for us to win and play better. So I just take the role head on.”

Monk is also 2nd in most points in overtime this season. During the match at Toronto a card was shown that he has 42 points (Kyle Draper also mentioned it when shooting 2 free throws vs Memphis in overtime), but according to Statmuse he has 38 (still 2nd). DeRozan is first, statmuse writes 42 points but there was a video from "Nodunks" last night that he has 53 points (3rd player in play by play era to score 50+).

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Poetic justice if the idiotic contract they gave Barnes hampers them from being able to sign Monk.
That’s not how the salary cap works lol

If you want to get on someone for signing an extension, the only one that would’ve really mattered in whether we’d have extra money to throw at Malik is Domas’s and that one is an absolute no brainer.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
That’s not how the salary cap works lol

If you want to get on someone for signing an extension, the only one that would’ve really mattered in whether we’d have extra money to throw at Malik is Domas’s and that one is an absolute no brainer.
Even if we replaced Barnes with nobody ($0 salary) we wouldn't have enough cap space to sign Monk to more than the Early Bird.

“Tell the fans don’t think about that too much. Me and Mike do that [stuff] all the time.”

After last night's performance, I do worry. The Kings cannot afford another shooting night like that one!

I watched the video posted again. I believe that Mike Brown said to Monk, "Get to the lockers." And he did.

You all can draw your own conclusions.

I’d like to start off by saying that by no means do I want to lose Monk in FA. But if we do lose Monk in FA, I don’t think it’s the end of the world looking at our cap situation.

If Monk walks in the 2024 off-season, I’d only sign contracts that can expire in the 2025 off-season. I’d also immediately look to trade Huerter and Barnes for contracts that expire in 2025 (while hopefully getting some assets back if possible). That might result in us taking a step back in the 2024-25 season considering Monk, Huerter, and Barnes would no longer be on the roster, but since our 1st will most likely convey to ATL in 2024, we’d at least get to keep this more attractive 2025 1st and add another young, cheap asset to a core of Fox, Sabonis, Murray, Ellis, and Jones.

This would leave us with ~$43-45 mil in cap space during the 2025 off-season (a 0-6 year max would start at $38.8 mil and a 7-9 year max would start at $46.3 mil) to add another significant piece to this core. Ideally, you’re targeting a SF/PF with that cap since your starting lineup could be Fox - Ellis/Jones - Murray - ??? - Sabonis. Below is a list of the SFs and PFs that would be free agents during the 2025 off-season…
  • Brandon Ingram (UFA)
  • Lauri Markkanen (UFA)
  • Jonathan Isaac (UFA)
  • Scottie Barnes (RFA)
  • Jalen Johnson (RFA)
  • Trey Murphy (RFA)
  • Franz Wagner (RFA)
  • Jonathan Kuminga (RFA)
  • Evan Mobley (RFA)
  • Matisse Thybulle (PO)
  • Jimmy Butler (PO)
  • Khris Middleton (PO)
  • Jayson Tatum (PO)
  • John Collins (PO)
  • Dorian Finney-Smith (PO)
  • Aaron Gordon (PO)
  • Julius Randle (PO)
  • Bobby Portis (PO)
  • Naz Reid (PO)
That’s a lot of talented forwards to choose from and could be a good way of retooling this team in the off chance that Monk walks.

I’d like to start off by saying that by no means do I want to lose Monk in FA. But if we do lose Monk in FA, I don’t think it’s the end of the world looking at our cap situation.

If Monk walks in the 2024 off-season, I’d only sign contracts that can expire in the 2025 off-season. I’d also immediately look to trade Huerter and Barnes for contracts that expire in 2025 (while hopefully getting some assets back if possible). That might result in us taking a step back in the 2024-25 season considering Monk, Huerter, and Barnes would no longer be on the roster, but since our 1st will most likely convey to ATL in 2024, we’d at least get to keep this more attractive 2025 1st and add another young, cheap asset to a core of Fox, Sabonis, Murray, Ellis, and Jones.

This would leave us with ~$43-45 mil in cap space during the 2025 off-season (a 0-6 year max would start at $38.8 mil and a 7-9 year max would start at $46.3 mil) to add another significant piece to this core. Ideally, you’re targeting a SF/PF with that cap since your starting lineup could be Fox - Ellis/Jones - Murray - ??? - Sabonis. Below is a list of the SFs and PFs that would be free agents during the 2025 off-season…
  • Brandon Ingram (UFA)
  • Lauri Markkanen (UFA)
  • Jonathan Isaac (UFA)
  • Scottie Barnes (RFA)
  • Jalen Johnson (RFA)
  • Trey Murphy (RFA)
  • Franz Wagner (RFA)
  • Jonathan Kuminga (RFA)
  • Evan Mobley (RFA)
  • Matisse Thybulle (PO)
  • Jimmy Butler (PO)
  • Khris Middleton (PO)
  • Jayson Tatum (PO)
  • John Collins (PO)
  • Dorian Finney-Smith (PO)
  • Aaron Gordon (PO)
  • Julius Randle (PO)
  • Bobby Portis (PO)
  • Naz Reid (PO)
That’s a lot of talented forwards to choose from and could be a good way of retooling this team in the off chance that Monk walks.
Just a little correction you might want to make, but the barnes and huerter contract expires in 2026, so 2 more years of both of them still. Because they aren't exactly expiring contracts, trading them might be a little harder and relative to their performance they aren't worth their contracts. Not saying they are bad contracts, but maybe a slight overpay. Kings may have to attach assets just to trade them. Another thing is if the kings don't make the playoffs this season they keep their draft pick, which could be considered a good or bad thing. If kings can identify a player they like and it works out that'd be great but if not then they lose the flexibility to trade their pick since it'll still be tied to the hawks. Also I'm not sure how willing the organization is to take 2 steps backwards to take 3 steps forward in the future.

Just a little correction you might want to make, but the barnes and huerter contract expires in 2026, so 2 more years of both of them still. Because they aren't exactly expiring contracts, trading them might be a little harder and relative to their performance they aren't worth their contracts. Not saying they are bad contracts, but maybe a slight overpay. Kings may have to attach assets just to trade them. Another thing is if the kings don't make the playoffs this season they keep their draft pick, which could be considered a good or bad thing. If kings can identify a player they like and it works out that'd be great but if not then they lose the flexibility to trade their pick since it'll still be tied to the hawks. Also I'm not sure how willing the organization is to take 2 steps backwards to take 3 steps forward in the future.
I don’t think that’s really a correction. In fact, it’s the exact reason why I’d be looking to trade Huerter and Barnes.

Huerter and Barnes are under contract for the 2024-25 and 2025-26 season. If my goal was to maximize cap space for the 2025 off-season, I’d need to trade them for expirings during the 2024 off-season or at the 2024-25 trade deadline, or you’d have to trade them to a team for straight cap space in the 2025 off-season.

As for the draft pick, trading future 1sts isn’t really part of the plan I outlined. The only reason the draft pick was mentioned was so we could factor that salary into the payroll to determine how much cap space we might have to target someone in FA.

Hell of a thing to happen in the most important game of the year, not to mention in his contract year.

Any updates from Mike Brown? Monk never even came back to the bench.

According to ESPN:

"Monk leads the NBA in points (1,110) and assists (370) off the bench this season - something only Lou Williams (2018-2019) did for a full season since starters were first tracked in 1970-1971, according to ESPN Stats & Information research."

Very impressive. With only nine games left, I assume that these numbers will hold up. Bobby Portis would have to score 147 points in eight games just to catch up. TJ McConnell would have to come up with 56 assists in nine games to pull even.

According to ESPN:

"Monk leads the NBA in points (1,110) and assists (370) off the bench this season - something only Lou Williams (2018-2019) did for a full season since starters were first tracked in 1970-1971, according to ESPN Stats & Information research."

Very impressive. With only nine games left, I assume that these numbers will hold up. Bobby Portis would have to score 147 points in eight games just to catch up. TJ McConnell would have to come up with 56 assists in nine games to pull even.
Virtually got the Sixth Man Award locked up. Pretty good in a contract year coming off the bench!

Magic going after Klay seems like a bad move for them but good for us if it makes Monk more likely to stay.
I actually like the move for them. A two year big money deal similar to Fred down in Houston. Championship experience, still an elite shooter (still above 38 percent on high volume). Gives them much needed spacing for Franz and Paulo and then the money comes off the books just in time for the big extensions thell need to make and give Black a bit of time to develop.

Last edited: