KING IN ARABIC

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Monk's not reliable enough to start. Some players' games just don't translate to being a full-time starter.

Alternatively, Monk could be a full-time starter, if you build the team like Iverson's Sixers, or the IT/Kyrie Celtics, and surround him with four All-World defenders. At a bare minimum, you'd have to pair him with a big (6'7"+) guard.

Points per game in general weigh far too much for these post-season awards. In points per 36 minutes, however, which is a standard way to measure contributions off the bench, Monk is second on the team to De'Aaron Fox, and just ahead of Domantas Sabonis. That is pretty darned impressive. Even more impressive is that he also ranks second on the team in assists per 36 minutes.

Last edited:
Yes. How do we get him to stay in Sacramento?
I'm not sure starting him would really help us keep Malik. Our main issue would be salary cap space. I'm very concerned that the Kings will lose Malik because the most we can pay him currently is $78mil/years or $19.5 million per year. I'm pretty sure that a team with salary cap space will throw more money his way, that he may not be able to refuse (i.e. $90-100 mil/ 4 years).

My question is, how can the Kings open up more salary cap space to resign Malik? That is the most pressing question that Monte will need to address and he will need to figure it out by the time free agency begins this summer.

Last edited:
What team with cap space is

A. Going to offer him 25mm+ a year

and

B. A team he would be willing to go to?

EDIT.

Pistons - highly doubt he’d go there.
Magic - Maybe, this one make sense for him
Sixers - No way, they are whale hunting
Jazz - Maybe
Raptors - can’t see them offering
Thunder - too many other ways to improve
Hornets - not chance
Spurs - Not a pop type of player

and

EDIT.

Jazz - Maybe
Hornets - not chance
The Pistons, Magic, Jazz and 76ers all have the cap space and a need at SG/PG. It only takes one team to make that offer to lose Monk and a team like the Pistons could throw $25/mil per year at him and still have plenty of cap space to spare. It's hard for any player to turn down an additional $20+ million, especially for someone like Monk who was a fringe NBA player just 2 years ago. Here's an article from SI.com:

https://www.si.com/nba/kings/news/kings-malik-monk-chase-money-free-agency

My thought is that Monte needs to make some moves before the start of free agency to get our offer up to $22-$25 mil/ year to have a chance to keep Monk. Then Monk becomes the starting SG next year, once the Kings trade Huerter or send him to the bench.

Last edited:
Getting to around $25 million in cap space would require liquidating both Huerter’s and Barnes’s contracts, for starters.
A salary dump trade of Chris Duarte and/or Sasha and their $6+ million/yr contract (i.e. include player and a 2nd round pick for cap space trade) would help open some salary cap space to resign Monk.

Monte made a big mistake by not getting Malik on a 3 year deal, which would have given us some Bird rights. So, whatever Monte decides to do to open up salary cap space, he needs to do it before the start of free agency this summer.

Last edited:
A salary dump trade of Chris Duarte and/or Sasha and their $6+ million/yr contract (i.e. include player and a 2nd round pick for cap space trade) would help open some salary cap space to resign Monk.

Monte made a big mistake by not getting Malik on a 3 year deal, which would have given us some Bird rights. So, whatever Monte decides to do to open up salary cap space, he needs to do it before the start of free agency this summer.
It's doesn't work that way. They would need the money in cap space under the cap. Right now they are limited by the early bird exemption for what they can offer.

The Pistons, Magic, Jazz and 76ers all have the cap space and a need at SG/PG. It only takes one team to make that offer to lose Monk and a team like the Pistons could throw $25/mil per year at him and still have plenty of cap space to spare. It's hard for any player to turn down an additional $20+ million, especially for someone like Monk who was a fringe NBA player just 2 years ago. Here's an article from SI.com:

https://www.si.com/nba/kings/news/kings-malik-monk-chase-money-free-agency

My thought is that Monte needs to make some moves before the start of free agency to get our offer up to $22-$25 mil/ year to have a chance to keep Monk. Then Monk becomes the starting SG next year, once the Kings trade Huerter or send him to the bench.
He’s not going to Detroit and the Sixers are looking for a max contract star. Magic is the biggest threat.

How much are you expecting a Monk contact to be this summer?

I'm not a salary cap expert, but if the Kings can't open up more than their current max of $78mil/4 year offer, then I think Malik walks. And I wouldn't blame him.
I’m expecting him to re-sign at the max the Kings can offer.

Perhaps there’s a team out there that offers a few million more, but I’d like to think he doesn’t walk unless he’s blown away the difference. So, for the purposes of this exercise, I was assuming that you’d need to offer somewhere in the mid $20 millions/year to match a difference-making offer, which would require cutting roughly $35 million in salary, since the team is projected to be about $10 million over the cap next year. Duarte, Sasha, etc doesn’t get you there.

He’s not going to Detroit and the Sixers are looking for a max contract star. Magic is the biggest threat.
Like I said, it only take one team to offer that 4 year $100 million and a starting SG position contract and it would be extremely hard for Monk to turn it down. Plus Florida has no state taxes, so the $22 million difference becomes even greater.

and

EDIT.

Jazz - Maybe
Hornets - not chance
That's why I'm not too worried. Spurs and Magic are the only 2 teams that even sort of make sense and that's assuming both teams value him as the top FA and worth throwing a giant bag at.

I think the Magic stay internal and just keep developing there guys. They have huge draft capital in their guards; doesn't make a ton of sense to throw a 25 mil guard into that mix

That's why I'm not too worried. Spurs and Magic are the only 2 teams that even sort of make sense and that's assuming both teams value him as the top FA and worth throwing a giant bag at.

I think the Magic stay internal and just keep developing there guys. They have huge draft capital in their guards; doesn't make a ton of sense to throw a 25 mil guard into that mix
Seeing that most of the upper tier FA are going to re-sign with their current teams. Monk is one of the few top FA targets that is both #1: Still young and #2: Their current team doesn't have full Bird rights. Therefore, attainable for teams with cap space without having to make a trade or give up draft assets.

IMO, Monk will be a pretty desirable FA target this summer. With his younger age, he would fit into the timeline of a contending team or a young building team like the Magic and Spurs. I'm losing hope we can re-sign him. :(

Last edited: