[Game] Grizzlies @ Kings - 11/3/15 - 7 PST, 10 EST

I stand corrected; not my fault that ESPN hadn't updated their stats. Doesn't really change the fact that McLemore isn't the only player who's been consistently bad, which is what you implied.
I meant not only in scoring, but the overall performance, perhaps I should have said it clear.

When we signed Bellinelli, I had an impression that the only thing he brings is scoring, a bit playmaking and no defense. What I've seen so far (to my untrained eyes) he's a decent team defender, rarely loses his man and good at switching on screens. What even I liked today was he was visibly upset at teammates the way they played the defense in the 4th quarter. C'mon, defense is not his bread and butter.

And he is unquestionably a good playmaker, DC is getting more comfortable dishing ball to him in offense to take the ball pressure of him. And no matter how his scoring is you have that trust in him in crunch time, he just oozes with confidence that rubs off on the rest. It's crucial, how a scorer performs under pressure or in crunch time. Ben usually excels when we lead for good, but disappears when things go south.

I know/positive Bellinelli's scoring struggle is temporary, he'll be back but I can't say the same thing about Ben.
To me there's no comparison between those two so far, but I don't have that patience for Ben to find his mojo.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I meant not only in scoring, but the overall performance, perhaps I should have said it clear.

When we signed Bellinelli, I had an impression that the only thing he brings is scoring, a bit playmaking and no defense. What I've seen so far (to my untrained eyes) he's a decent team defender, rarely loses his man and good at switching on screens. What even I liked today was he was visibly upset at teammates the way they played the defense in the 4th quarter. C'mon, defense is not his bread and butter.

And he is unquestionably a good playmaker, DC is getting more comfortable dishing ball to him in offense to take the ball pressure of him. And no matter how his scoring is you have that trust in him in crunch time, he just oozes with confidence that rubs off on the rest. It's crucial, how a scorer performs under pressure or in crunch time. Ben usually excels when we lead for good, but disappears when things go south.

I know/positive Bellinelli's scoring struggle is temporary, he'll be back but I can't say the same thing about Ben.
To me there's no comparison between those two so far, but I don't have that patience for Ben to find his mojo.
And, like I told @jdbraver, I agree with about 98 percent of this post. But the point is that the net effect of his confidence, better playmaking, et cetera, hasn't amounted to anything in the here and now. History indicates that Belinelli has been the better player in the past. The smart money is on him being the better player tomorrow night, or five games from now, or twenty-five games from now. But, he wasn't any better tonight. And I'm not here for this "Player A sucked" business, when everybody else did their fair share of sucking, too. Miss me with that "consistently sucking" jazz. There was enough suckitude tonight to go around.

I expect Belinelli's shooting slump to end. But it hasn't ended. You don't expect McLemore's slump to end. That's your prerogative.

I keep asking myself, why Ben belli shoot that bad. From the eyetest they don't get enough wide open looks.
Most of the tome the defender closes out fast enough and it results in a pump fake and drive.
I think we need to do a better job to free our shooters by setting screens and using them.
At least Bellis FG% should go up, when we accomplish this.

K

KingMilz

My biggest issue with Ben is he's so shook that it's actually stopping him from playing hard. There is no reason Ben could not impact the game the same way JyMchal Green did today just purely with his athletic ability. Ben's effort level and involvement in the game is down right embarrassing for a guy who should by accident be getting 2-3 leak out dunks/lay ups a game. When the **** was the last time Ben had a hustle play or offensive rebound?

Also in regards to Belli and Rondo both I feel are playing well (lesser extent Belli) but the line ups they are playing in don't allow them to do anything I mean with Rondo the paint is ALWAYS packed for him and with Belli he's become a guy who has to beat dudes of the dribble cause he's the only shooter and teams just lock in on him.

The reality is we have to win at least 1 of these next 4 (3 against ELITE teams), cause 1-7 that's the season right there your not coming back from that in the West.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm already tired of Karl playing Rondo and Collison together. As soon as I see them on the court together I know we're going to fall behind 5-10 points immediately. Stats might prove different but to my eye, this combo just doesn't work.

Well… its time to get up off the mat, dust ourselves off and show the effort, heart and pride of a professional athlete after a extremely poor showing and ***whipping loss. That was pathetic. I fully expect our guys to show up with a sense of urgency and purpose tonight, just as the Grizz showed last night after their pathetic loss the night before.

I am really feeling Ben needs some time away – as in some deep soul searching – I am not sure he knows who he is at this point, or what he wants to be (now that I have said it, this appears to refer to the entire team, including the coaching staff!). But we do not have the luxury of time.

Well after all the team is playing at "The Talking Stick Resort arena" tonight, put the whole team in a tent, pass the peace pipe and the Talking Stick, then go out and play as a Team!!!!

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I keep asking myself, why Ben belli shoot that bad. From the eyetest they don't get enough wide open looks.
Most of the tome the defender closes out fast enough and it results in a pump fake and drive.
I think we need to do a better job to free our shooters by setting screens and using them.
At least Bellis FG% should go up, when we accomplish this.
I don't know if anyone noticed, but the Grizz were playing smothering defense last night. If I didn't know better, I would have sworn that Matt Barnes and Belinelli were wearing the same uniform at the same time. After Belinelli hit his first two shots, they were all over him on the perimeter. As for comparing Belinelli to McLemore, that's ridiculous. McLemore's best year at shooting the three was 35.8%, while Belinelli's worse year was 35.7%. Belinelli has a career average of 39.2%. Are we seriously going to judge him on four games?

Last night, the Grizz knew going in that we had no inside threat with Cuz on the bench, so they decided to put pressure on the perimeter and make life difficult for our shooters. And it worked. They are a very very good defensive team when they want to be, and last night, after getting killed by the Warriors the night before, they wanted to be.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Well after all the team is playing at "The Talking Stick Resort arena" tonight, put the whole team in a tent, pass the peace pipe and the Talking Stick, then go out and play as a Team!!!!
I went to a pre-season game there, and while in the arena, I couldn't find one talking stick. Found plenty of beer though.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I don't know if anyone noticed, but the Grizz were playing smothering defense last night. If I didn't know better, I would have sworn that Matt Barnes and Belinelli were wearing the same uniform at the same time. After Belinelli hit his first two shots, they were all over him on the perimeter. As for comparing Belinelli to McLemore, that's ridiculous. McLemore's best year at shooting the three was 35.8%, while Belinelli's worse year was 35.7%. Belinelli has a career average of 39.2%. Are we seriously going to judge him on four games?
It's not about comparing; they've both been bad. What Belinelli has done in his career before he got to the Kings hasn't amounted to anything since he's been with the Kings. And, I'll say again, the smart money says that he'll come around but, until he does, I'm not trying to hear anything about "Yeah, but lifetime..."

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
It's not about comparing; they've both been bad. What Belinelli has done in his career before he got to the Kings hasn't amounted to anything since he's been with the Kings. And, I'll say again, the smart money says that he'll come around but, until he does, I'm not trying to hear anything about "Yeah, but lifetime..."
Which is a way to be extraordinarily bad at predicting things in most cases.

If Rhonda Rousey loses her next match, and Jane Smith loses her next match to fall to 1-4, and then they meet, do you think that's an even money match? because I don't. Barring injury of some sort, every predictive model ever created is ballasted by past conduct. Bels will very likely be fine because he's always been fine. Even Ben will likely be better than THIS, because this level of play means he is not an NBAer, and he was one last year, if a weaker one.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Hey guys!
Stop the bashing.
Have you met us? We are Kings fans. We moan and groan and bash and voice our frustrations because our only other option is to jump off the Tower Bridge.

We have lived through a lot since 2002. The fact we're still Kings fans is something we have to explain all too often to our friends, our families, our co-workers and anyone else who just doesn't get it.

We'll be fine but right now over-reacting is a way to cope with the roller coaster ride.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Which is a way to be extraordinarily bad at predicting things in most cases.
:: shrugs ::

I'm not in the prediction business.

Statistical trends obviously point to Belinelli breaking out of his slump, and being the far superior player in the long term. But, until it actually bears out on the court, while he's wearing a Kings uniform, what exactly is that worth?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I wasn't replying necessarily to you, and since I didn't read every post, I'm sure I'm not replying to everyone. But it sounded to me like comparing is what was happening. I happen to think that track records matter. If I go to the race track, I certainly look at the record of the horse I'm betting on. That doesn't mean I'm going to win, but the odds are much better. This will be Belinelli's ninth year in the league, and his worse year is equal to McLemore's best year. Now if you don't care about his record, then just what are we talking about? If were pointing out that Belinelli hasn't been shooting the ball as expected, I think we all know that. But if some are using his four game record as some justification for McLemore's poor showing so far, I think that's nonsense.

Is it possible that Belinelli's career is over? That he's no longer the player he once was? Yeah, I suspose it's possible, but then it's also possible that someday pigs will fly. I guess I'm not seeing the point of this conversation. If Cousins were to have started the season as poorly as Belinelli, am I to believe that based on four games, he's now no better than Ryan Hollins? Hell, Curry accomplished more in three minutes of play than McLemore did in twenty minutes. Maybe we should start him!

I'm already tired of Karl playing Rondo and Collison together. As soon as I see them on the court together I know we're going to fall behind 5-10 points immediately. Stats might prove different but to my eye, this combo just doesn't work.
Lawson and Billups were okay together because Billups was strong enough to guard 2's, even if he was a little short for the position. Rondo can guard some 2's with his strength and wingspan, but I keep seeing Collison on the opposing 2. That just doesn't work at all as Collison is on the small end for a 1.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
... Now if you don't care about his record, then just what are we talking about?
I'm honestly not clear on where you're coming from, but I'll do my best to explain my point of view: I'm not in the "pass granting" business. McLemore played like trash last night, and he should be called out on it. Belinelli played like trash last night, and he should be called out on it, too. I'm not about the "Well, he's been good before, so I'm going to let this slide" life. I'm not saying that Belinelli is more at fault for the loss than McLemore; what I am saying is that Kings Fans are letting Belinelli slide on his fair share of the blame, and I'm not here for that.

Everybody played like trash last night, whether it was on offense, or on defense, or just trash in general, and everybody ought to be called out on it. The biggest atrocity about how this has turned into the latest episode of the "Let's Kill Ben McLemore Show" is that it has allowed everybody else to skate on their shoddy play last night, and that shouldn't be happening.
[/quote]

Last night, the Grizz knew going in that we had no inside threat with Cuz on the bench, so they decided to put pressure on the perimeter and make life difficult for our shooters. And it worked. They are a very very good defensive team when they want to be, and last night, after getting killed by the Warriors the night before, they wanted to be.
Of course the Grizzlies are a stellar defensive team. And I didn't compare Belli to Ben at all.
All I wanted to say, is that there has to be a way to get our wing players better looks from the perimeter.
I mean even against the suns - how many wide open looks did Belli get throughout the game with his feet set?