Grant calls out front office on his radio show

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
uh oh, what's next?

Aaron Bruski @aaronbruski · 2h
Once again, the line between disaster and everything is awesome is hilariously thin in Sacramento.

Aaron DelBono @Sac_KingAaron · 2h
@aaronbruski honestly, Aaron…do you REALLY think we’re that dense? Give it a rest already…

Aaron Bruski @aaronbruski · 2h
@Sac_KingAaron wait until you see what you’re in for this week. Revisit this with me then.
o_O
Well, I've got no clue what he could be hinting at, but considering that we're currently in "disaster" mode, I think that crossing the line to "everything is awesome" would be pretty nice.

Well, I've got no clue what he could be hinting at, but considering that we're currently in "disaster" mode, I think that crossing the line to "everything is awesome" would be pretty nice.
that's what i said. Maybe he's hinting at a coach hiring and he's expecting Kings fans to go right back to everything is awesome mode

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Agreed. A nice surprise would be a welcome change of pace right now.

Still, I'm not even sure what kind of move that could be. Even hiring George Karl now would be much more "well at least they're trying to salvage the season" rather than "everything is awesome". At least to me.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Agreed. A nice surprise would be a welcome change of pace right now.

Still, I'm not even sure what kind of move that could be. Even hiring George Karl now would be much more "well at least they're trying to salvage the season" rather than "everything is awesome". At least to me.
So you think LeBron is actually "hurt" huh....? :p

Of course knowing Bruski it probably means we're about to trade to get IT back.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Of course knowing Bruski it probably means we're about to trade to get IT back.
Sounds about right. Cousins has reverted to his frustrated, sloppy ways and Rudy has reverted to his inefficient Toronto ways so we might as well bring back IT and fully get back our lack of ball movement from last season.

Maybe PDA can even include McLemore and get a different Plumlee with the added bonus of having an ineffective rookie SG pushed into a starting role just like last year.

Last edited:
moar highlight alley oops by our position-less ballers?
probably why they keep shoving D-Will down our throats. Dude seems to be shown catching ally-oops during every commercial break and keeps getting more and more minutes to the point where he has gotten into the starting lineup, meanwhile Omri Casspi keeps coming down with mysterious injuries and Jason Thompson gets less minutes and now DNPs and shoved to the bench :eek:

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Wtf is this crazy D-Will talk about?! I have a feeling all of these comments put together implies a contract extension for D-Will?
Nope. Can't happen per the CBA because the deadline has passed. Players on a rookie contract can only negotiate an extension up to the October 31st on the final season of the contract.

K

KingMilz

He needs to call out the players now, the coach got fired yeap we know but the players not giving effort is spiting in the face of all the fans and the organization.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
I wouldn't mind bringing D-Will back, but that is a relief..
I agree, bring him back over the summer if he earns it. But I would say that his qualifying offer (over $8M) looks like it's out of the question. There's no way we can afford to make him a restricted free agent.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
https://twitter.com/aaronbruski/status/550844282261602304

"Wouldn’t be surprised if Williams is a part of what I’m guessing is a big media push by the Kings front office this week."
Williams is already part of the media push if the ticket commercials before, during and after the game broadcasts are any indication. I mentioned this to Bruski but he only answers me when it doesn't make him look bad. :p

As far as the "big media push" secret Bruski is hinting about, it's pretty common knowledge the front office is going to start the season ticket renewal campaign in January, trying to get deposits in as early as possible (before things get even worse?). There are rumors of incentives and goodies (bribes) being involved.

So, if you put those two things together, Bruski doesn't have anything.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Sounds about right. Cousins has reverted to his frustrated, sloppy ways and Rudy has reverted to his inefficient Toronto ways so we might as well bring back IT and fully get back our lack of ball movement from last season.

Maybe PDA can even include McLemore and get a different Plumlee with the added bonus of having an ineffective rookie SG pushed into a starting role just like last year.
What's John Salmons doing now? :p

I've noticed the Sacramento Kings Facebook page is really pushing all the dunks. And that's about it.

They think we, the fans, are absolute morons. I suspect they'd (the FO) been pushing to start Dwill for some time now. I think that's now a permanent situation. I guess we'll see Sunday. Matchup problems everywhere against Detroit, but somewhere in all the senseless rambling I do recall a promise to "go smaller."

It's really disturbing how out of touch they are with the fan base.

I have a feeling my head may explode during Monday's showdown interview.

It's simply amazing how out of touch they are with the fans & players.

they were so out of touch with the players, especially the franchise Center, that they thought Malone being fired either wouldn't bother him at all. Either that or they just don't care about his feelings at all.

they are so out of touch with the fans they think we care about tempo over wins.

morons

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
It's simply amazing how out of touch they are with the fans & players.

they were so out of touch with the players, especially the franchise Center, that they thought Malone being fired either wouldn't bother him at all. Either that or they just don't care about his feelings at all.

they are so out of touch with the fans they think we care about tempo over wins.

morons
Or they have evidence of some type that leads them to believe that uptempo will bring more wins, but are out of touch about the ramifications of their actions in trying to get that implemented. That includes totally aggravating your franchise player. Which is totally baffling, as anyone here could have told them what would happen if you set out the series of events and their proposed moves.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I've noticed the Sacramento Kings Facebook page is really pushing all the dunks. And that's about it.

They think we, the fans, are absolute morons.
I suspect they'd (the FO) been pushing to start Dwill for some time now. I think that's now a permanent situation. I guess we'll see Sunday. Matchup problems everywhere against Detroit, but somewhere in all the senseless rambling I do recall a promise to "go smaller."

No, they don't. The poor folks who actually run that (and all the other media stuff) are beyond well aware of the ****storm going on. Their problem is that they have jobs and those jobs are to market the Kings. They work with what they've got and right now dunks are about all they can highlight.

Please do not confuse the working folks with the front office. Most of them are just as frustrated as we are, with the added stress of not being able to say so without possibly losing their jobs.

man, i got offered by Nick Janes of CBS13 to meet him to do an interview for a story they are doing on Peter Vecseys racist tweet. if it was a live interview it would be hilarious to just go there and start going off on a rant about the Kings front office on TV

gunks

Hall of Famer
man, i got offered by Nick Janes of CBS13 to meet him to do an interview for a story they are doing on Peter Vecseys racist tweet. if it was a live interview it would be hilarious to just go there and start going off on a rant about the Kings front office on TV
Do it! :p

No, they don't. The poor folks who actually run that (and all the other media stuff) are beyond well aware of the ****storm going on. Their problem is that they have jobs and those jobs are to market the Kings. They work with what they've got and right now dunks are about all they can highlight.

Please do not confuse the working folks with the front office. Most of them are just as frustrated as we are, with the added stress of not being able to say so without possibly losing their jobs.
I should have been more specific about who "they" refers to. I know folks doing the media push are just trying to sell a crap sandwich right now, and that ain't easy. I think that's going to get a whole lot worse before it gets better. I can't even imagine what's next in this media push, but having Grant Napear tell me about the great Dwill isn't really getting me excited.

All I can say is, if PDA spends an hour dodging questions and talking down to us, that's not going to make things better. I just don't know what they could possibly say or do at this point to get the hardcore fans back. Fans that had legitimate hope and faith that we were moving in the right direction. Worse than that, is that I suspect they are so tone deaf that they'll just go for the casual "dunks are fun" crowd knowing they've lost some of us at the moment and only winning will get us back. And winning right now just doesn't seem likely.

I like dunks too. But it can't hide that the overall product has regressed as dramatically as it has. The team seems much worse off and dysfunctional than last years 28 win team. Much worse. Like Kenny Natt era bad. There are serious signs the team has quit, and has no interest in the new style, or in playing for Corbin. And that's a massive misstep that I don't see any easy way out of. They can bring in George Karl, but I suspect in the past he replaced coaches the players didn't like, as that's usually the reason coaches get fired. This isn't that situation. Even a great coach is going to struggle to get this team back in sync. It won't be overnight. I don't see a "everything is awesome" scenario.

I think they can stop the bleeding. But they can't grow a limb back.

But I hear you, I'm not meaning to throw innocent bystanders under the bus. I am just so frustrated with what has gone down. When I see vf21, bajaden, and capt factorial getting frustrated, I know things have gotten really bad.

Last edited:

They think we, the fans, are absolute morons. I suspect they'd (the FO) been pushing to start Dwill for some time now. I think that's now a permanent situation. I guess we'll see Sunday. Matchup problems everywhere against Detroit, but somewhere in all the senseless rambling I do recall a promise to "go smaller."

reminds me of the magoofs when they bought into the jimmer hype only to see him flop. they thought jimmer would sell a bunch of tickets.

**** dunks, running and all that stuff. I'll take defense and smash mouth basketball.
More Forum "Buzz Words" that really don't mean much when you break them down.

Last I checked Dunks still count as two points and they are points in the paint. So if those 2 points involve DeMarcus or anybody else on the team dunking on someone's head I will gladly take them and so would anybody else here. If the goal is to win you take points however you get them. Most of the time when you get a dunk it's either because of a great defensive play that led to a fast break or a great ball movement that lead to a great pass and a wide open dunk. Either way dunks are often a sign of a team playing well, their not the same as chucking 3's with a hand in your face or forcing ISO shots into double teams.

Defense, I won't argue with you there and that's the major thing lacking from the team since Malone was fired. Fact is this isn't a roster with very many good defensive players and Malone was able to get them to buy into a good defensive system and play good team defense. Without Malone the players are back to playing defense the way most of them have in their careers.

"Smash Mouth" the most ridiculously over used buzz-word on this forum from so many members who sure seem to like the sound of it even though it never actually applied to this team. People give PDA crap for using buzz-words yet a large percentage of this forum is stuck on the "smash mouth" buzz-word that doesn't accurately describe the players on this team or the style of play that they had before Michael Malone was fired.

Does this team have a bunch of shot-blockers? No they really don't even have any shot blockers.
Does this team have elite defenders that beat you up (guys like Tony Allen or Marc Gasol)? Nope
Does this team have multiple players that beat you in the low post or run you over to score (like Ron Artest and Bonzi)? Nope just DeMarcus.

There are only a few players on this team that could even be considered "smash mouth" players. The obvious answer is DeMarcus Cousins but Cousins is way too skilled and has too many moves in his offensive repertoire to refer to him as a smash-mouth player. He's taking dudes off the dribble, hitting 18 foot jumpers, spin moves, etc. When you are the best offensive big man in the world, a term like smash-mouth should be considered an insult. Shaq was a smash-mouth player, DeMarcus is tremendous offensive talent that has elements of smash-mouth to his game.

Is Rudy Gay a smash-mouth player? No.
Ben McLemore? No
Derrick Williams? Hell no
Darren Collison? No
Jason Thompson? About once every two or three weeks he has a smash-mouth game
Nik Stauskas? No, he's afraid to even shoot
Carl Landry? No
Ramon Sessions? No, although he does play with the attention span of a 12 year old with ADHD on a sugar-high to where you want to smash him in the mouth.
Omri Casspi? Yes he actually kinda is
Reggie Evans? No that is unless you count only rebounding while otherwise being completely lost on defense and offense.
Ray McCallum? No

When Michael Malone was coaching the team were they constantly grinding teams down and winning with scores like 92-78, 86-80, 78-72, etc. in their wins?

No on the contrary they were scoring anywhere from 94 to 131 in their wins with most of their wins between about 101-110 points.
Their opponents were scoring anywhere from 88 to 112 in these wins with most of their opponents scoring in the low 90's to low 100's when the Kings won.

So essentially under Malone the Kings were usually beating teams something like 104 to 98, 110 to 105, 98 to 91, stuff like that.

What that indicates is a pretty solid offensive team and a respectable defensive team. Other than 3 point shooting they were pretty well balanced offensively from about 20 feet and in and defensively they were respectable and very good on the boards but hardly a team that would beat you up on defense.

What the scores in their wins under Malone doesn't indicate is a smash-mouth style of play. They were not winning low scoring grindouts. They never were a smash-mouth team under Malone and they were never going to be a smash-mouth team under Malone nor should they have been based on the roster.

So instead of constantly talking about "smash mouth" which is term that doesn't even apply to this team, how about wanting a well balanced team that beats you on both ends of the floor? A team that beats you with DeMarcus inside, Rudy in the middle, and guys like Ben on the outside and cutting to the basket. How about beating you on defense with solid team defense, guys that rotate and help their teammates, and great rebounding? I'll take that formula that actually wins as opposed to yet another buzz-word that sounds cool to say but doesn't actually exist with this team.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
More Forum "Buzz Words" that really don't mean much when you break them down.

Last I checked Dunks still count as two points and they are points in the paint. So if those 2 points involve DeMarcus or anybody else on the team dunking on someone's head I will gladly take them and so would anybody else here. If the goal is to win you take points however you get them. Most of the time when you get a dunk it's either because of a great defensive play that led to a fast break or a great ball movement that lead to a great pass and a wide open dunk. Either way dunks are often a sign of a team playing well, their not the same as chucking 3's with a hand in your face or forcing ISO shots into double teams.

Defense, I won't argue with you there and that's the major thing lacking from the team since Malone was fired. Fact is this isn't a roster with very many good defensive players and Malone was able to get them to buy into a good defensive system and play good team defense. Without Malone the players are back to playing defense the way most of them have in their careers.

"Smash Mouth" the most ridiculously over used buzz-word on this forum from so many members who sure seem to like the sound of it even though it never actually applied to this team. People give PDA crap for using buzz-words yet a large percentage of this forum is stuck on the "smash mouth" buzz-word that doesn't accurately describe the players on this team or the style of play that they had before Michael Malone was fired.

Does this team have a bunch of shot-blockers? No they really don't even have any shot blockers.
Does this team have elite defenders that beat you up (guys like Tony Allen or Marc Gasol)? Nope
Does this team have multiple players that beat you in the low post or run you over to score (like Ron Artest and Bonzi)? Nope just DeMarcus.

There are only a few players on this team that could even be considered "smash mouth" players. The obvious answer is DeMarcus Cousins but Cousins is way too skilled and has too many moves in his offensive repertoire to refer to him as a smash-mouth player. He's taking dudes off the dribble, hitting 18 foot jumpers, spin moves, etc. When you are the best offensive big man in the world, a term like smash-mouth should be considered an insult. Shaq was a smash-mouth player, DeMarcus is tremendous offensive talent that has elements of smash-mouth to his game.

Is Rudy Gay a smash-mouth player? No.
Ben McLemore? No
Derrick Williams? Hell no
Darren Collison? No
Jason Thompson? About once every two or three weeks he has a smash-mouth game
Nik Stauskas? No, he's afraid to even shoot
Carl Landry? No
Ramon Sessions? No, although he does play with the attention span of a 12 year old with ADHD on a sugar-high to where you want to smash him in the mouth.
Omri Casspi? Yes he actually kinda is
Reggie Evans? No that is unless you count only rebounding while otherwise being completely lost on defense and offense.
Ray McCallum? No

When Michael Malone was coaching the team were they constantly grinding teams down and winning with scores like 92-78, 86-80, 78-72, etc. in their wins?

No on the contrary they were scoring anywhere from 94 to 131 in their wins with most of their wins between about 101-110 points.
Their opponents were scoring anywhere from 88 to 112 in these wins with most of their opponents scoring in the low 90's to low 100's when the Kings won.

So essentially under Malone the Kings were usually beating teams something like 104 to 98, 110 to 105, 98 to 91, stuff like that.
What that indicates is a pretty solid offensive team and a respectable defensive team. Other than 3 point shooting they were pretty well balanced offensively from about 20 feet and in and defensively they were respectable and very good on the boards but hardly a team that would beat you up on defense.

What the scores in their wins under Malone doesn't indicate is a smash-mouth style of play. They were not winning low scoring grindouts. They never were a smash-mouth team under Malone and they were never going to be a smash-mouth team under Malone nor should they have been based on the roster.

So instead of constantly talking about "smash mouth" which is term that doesn't even apply to this team, how about wanting a well balanced team that beats you on both ends of the floor? A team that beats you with DeMarcus inside, Rudy in the middle, and guys like Ben on the outside and cutting to the basket. How about beating you on defense with solid team defense, guys that rotate and help their teammates, and great rebounding? I'll take that formula that actually wins as opposed to yet another buzz-word that sounds cool to say but doesn't actually exist with this team.
By modern day standards, we were absolutely smashmouth.

-- our two primary scorers both work the post heavily, our best bench scorer works the post heavily, might have led the league in post ups
-- led the league in FTs because we led the league in postups
-- led the league in rebounding, with scrappers like Omri and Reggie Evans helping the big frontline starters.
-- good defensive team, especially considering that the front office hadn't provided a lot of proven high level stoppers

Smashmouth like Riley's Knicks were smashmouth? No. Smashmouth by modern standards? Yes, especially for a young team still forming up. Post play, rebounding, defense = smashmouth. You're winning by being more physical than your opponent. Embodied by Cousins? Yep, absolutely. But he had help and even the guys not built for it were buying in and trying.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.