[Grades] Grades v. Mavs 11/30/2015

If DeMarcus Cousins never misses another game this season , do we make the playoffs?

• Yes

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • No

Votes: 20 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
what a disaster that would have been. he literally made no impact out there
Makes you question Vlade's thought process. He was acting like torn Achilles was a sprained ankle when he talked about Wes Matthews over the summer. Same thought process led him to pass on Mudiay because "he didn't know enough about him".

I live in Dallas. Wes Matthews has been fine this year. He would have been good for the Kings. Perhaps overpaid short term but not when the cap baloons. I was sceptical about his health but he's come back pretty well.

He was always a better fit for the Kings than the Mavs. He's been a 3 and d guy this year same as always. He'll never jump off the page at you. But how good would we be if we had a full sized 2 guard who generally makes open looks and keeps his defender from collapsing on Cuz who also plaus solid d? (Instead we have Ben who is full sized but cant shoot or a collection of scorers who can't defend)

Seth appears to be the perfect answer to our shooting guard stipulations. I still think that BenMc is a better defender, but when you need quick scoring, Seth seems to be the ultimate weapon.
Sort of. He tries on defense and hits open shots, but he's still a shrimp for the position and teams will eventually start posting him up if he pmays 2 for major minutes.

The more intreesting question is can he be the backup pg. The sample size is too small right now. But if he keeps looking like a polished pro who can run an nba offense make open shots and be ok defensively we might have to start thinking is Collison a luxory asset that would be better used getting us a full sized 3 and d sg? ( im not advocating this ... yet, but with Rondo being a major minute guy it might be smarter to limit Karl's ability and excuses to play 2 and 3 pg lineups for long stretches)

DC has tunnel vision and no desire to play off the ball
I think you're criticizing the wrong guard. Karl had to go to a 5th guard in Seth because our two SGs were making almost no impact (6 points between Ben and Marco in 31 minutes). DC was using his speed to attack and hit shots. Seth brought intensity on both ends and hit shots. Ben and Marco were invisible by comparison.

Not understanding the minority's hate for Collison. He did what was expected of him tonight. His problems tonight weren't ball-hogging as I believe some think, but it was defending the Dirk pick and pop. He was a revolving door for the guards in that pick and pop.
He's not a ball hog. He just doesn't see the floor well. He had the same issue last year. The difference being, there was no Rondo on the roster to compare and contrast with.

Sort of. He tries on defense and hits open shots, but he's still a shrimp for the position and teams will eventually start posting him up if he pmays 2 for major minutes.

The more intreesting question is can he be the backup pg. The sample size is too small right now. But if he keeps looking like a polished pro who can run an nba offense make open shots and be ok defensively we might have to start thinking is Collison a luxory asset that would be better used getting us a full sized 3 and d sg? ( im not advocating this ... yet, but with Rondo being a major minute guy it might be smarter to limit Karl's ability and excuses to play 2 and 3 pg lineups for long stretches)
What do you get for Collison though? He's a hard piece to trade and get an equal value back.

What do you get for Collison though? He's a hard piece to trade and get an equal value back.
Taj Gibson?

Bulls still have a solid 3 big rotation with Gasol, Mirotic, & Noah with Portis picking up spot minutes. On the plus side, they get a solid backup PG to help keep their hopes alive if Rose goes down with another injury.

Meanwhile, we get a solid PF who could even start next to Cousins and push Cauley-Stein to the bench. Not to mention, it might help us be more competitive when Cousins isn't playing considering we would still have a 3 big rotation of Gibson, Koufos, & Cauley-Stein

PG - Rondo (37 min)/Curry (11 min)
SG - McLemore (24 min)/Belinelli (24 min)/Anderson
SF - Gay (34 min)/Casspi (14 min)/Butler
PF - Gibson (22 min)/Cousins (9 min)/Cauley-Stein (12 min)/Casspi (5 min)/Acy
C - Cousins (28 min)/Koufos (20 min)

Cousins - 37 min (#1 option/defensive anchor)
Rondo - 37 min (floor general)
Gay - 34 min (#2 option)
McLemore - 24 min (3 and D)
Belinelli - 24 min (6th man/floor spreader)
Gibson - 22 min (defensive roleplayer)
Koufos - 20 min (2nd team defensive anchor/post option)
Casspi - 19 min (bench scorer/floor spreader)
Cauley-Stein - 12 min (defensive roleplayer)
Curry - 11 min (bench scorer/floor spreader)

PG depth would be a concern. Wouldn't mind trying to snatch Hinrich as well, but you'll have to make salaries match.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Seth appears to be the perfect answer to our shooting guard stipulations. I still think that BenMc is a better defender, but when you need quick scoring, Seth seems to be the ultimate weapon.
Actually, as much as it surprises me to say this, Curry played very solid defense. Ben is the better athlete, but Curry seems to have better anticipation. Just one game, but I was impressed with his D.

I've said it a couple times, but some of our more attractive bench options collide with our core. Let's look at each position.

PG:
Collison plays the same position as Rondo (and he isn't big enough to be a SG). He's the right type of change of pace PG you want behind Rondo, but the amount of minutes a player of his caliber deserves (20-28 min) would take away minutes that should be going to Rondo.

SG:
If McLemore continues to develop into a 3 and D player, I don't really have an issue with a McLemore/Belinelli SG rotation. Their skill sets compliment each other well.

SF:
Casspi should be getting around 20-24 min a game, but he plays the same position as our 2nd option (Gay). Neither can play SG effectively and playing either at PF leaves us small with a disadvantage on the glass and defensive side of the ball. Not to mention, you probably want a defensive roleplayer behind Gay (rather than a scorer) considering Gay isn't a very good defender and we don't have any SGs who are known as solid wing defenders.

PF & C:
Cousins is our franchise player and this team should be built around him. Cousins best position is C which means he should be logging all of his minutes at C. However, our 2nd best big on the roster is a 270lb, 7'0" C. Koufos is good enough to where he deserves around 20-24 min. That means Cousins is playing only 24-28 min at his best position. Ideally, you'd like to have a defensive minded C who can anchor the defense when Cousins is off the floor (like Koufos), but you invest in better bigs who can play PF (to compliment Cousins at C). Having a C like Ajinca behind Cousins makes sense because he's a big body who can clean the glass and protect the rim while Cousins is out (however, he's a guy who would be satisfied with 10-15 min thus not pushing Cousins out of his best position).

Actually, as much as it surprises me to say this, Curry played very solid defense. Ben is the better athlete, but Curry seems to have better anticipation. Just one game, but I was impressed with his D.
If Curry pans out as a reliable NBA PG, a Rondo/Curry pairing makes more sense. At this point in Curry's career, you don't have to worry about playing him big minutes. Meaning Rondo can log 35-38 min a night with Curry picking up around 10-13 min behind. If Curry shows he deserves more than that, I think his ability to play off the ball pairs better with Rondo than Collison's off the ball ability (and Curry has an inch in length on Collison).

I'm not trying to say Curry is better, but I'm saying that Curry might be a better fit with the current core. For instance, if Curry could give us 10 solid minutes a night where he plays average defense, runs the offense, spreads the floor, and knocks down open threes, I think you look to move Collison in an effort to upgrade our starting SG or our starting PF. Freeing up Collison's minutes all of a sudden gives us no excuse to play 2 PG lineups or to play McLemore/Belinelli at SF.

I live in Dallas. Wes Matthews has been fine this year. He would have been good for the Kings. Perhaps overpaid short term but not when the cap baloons. I was sceptical about his health but he's come back pretty well.

He was always a better fit for the Kings than the Mavs. He's been a 3 and d guy this year same as always. He'll never jump off the page at you. But how good would we be if we had a full sized 2 guard who generally makes open looks and keeps his defender from collapsing on Cuz who also plaus solid d? (Instead we have Ben who is full sized but cant shoot or a collection of scorers who can't defend)
The stats on Wes do not agree with your analysis.

I would definitely take all the pieces we got instead of Wes any day.

I think Karl should rest Rondo for a game with all the minutes hes racking up. Give Seth the start to get a better idea of what we are working with. Give DC a good amount of mintues so he doesnt feel bad.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Seth has shown to me in his limited minutes more than Ben has shown me since his drafting...he just understands the game and doesn't rush things. He played for Coach K so that probably helps things too and he's had a father who's played in the league as well to help him understand the game.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I think Karl should rest Rondo for a game with all the minutes hes racking up. Give Seth the start to get a better idea of what we are working with. Give DC a good amount of mintues so he doesnt feel bad.
The team is 7-12...they can't afford to rest Rondo. They are trying to make a push for a playoff seeding. Limit his minutes....absolutely. You don't want to over work your work horse.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
We can't afford to be playing games like that. They're all important for us. We're not like San Antonio cruising along where a spare loss doesn't hurt.

We can't afford to be playing games like that. They're all important for us. We're not like San Antonio cruising along where a spare loss doesn't hurt.
Honestly. I feel pretty good about our team with Cousins. Against a team like Boston, coming off of two days rest. I think we could afford to give our 75% 3 point shooter a chance to show what he can bring to the table. But yes.. if this backfired and we lost, i would feel pretty dumb.

Seth has shown to me in his limited minutes more than Ben has shown me since his drafting...he just understands the game and doesn't rush things. He played for Coach K so that probably helps things too and he's had a father who's played in the league as well to help him understand the game.
Let us not forget about his MVP older brother. I mean, some things have to brush off right??

Honestly. I feel pretty good about our team with Cousins. Against a team like Boston, coming off of two days rest. I think we could afford to give our 75% 3 point shooter a chance to show what he can bring to the table. But yes.. if this backfired and we lost, i would feel pretty dumb.
Boston is not a team to be taken lightly. Sure, they aren't elite, but they bring it almost every night and will not have a problem beating you if you're asking for it. Seth should see more court time for sure, but starting? Not to mention I sincerely doubt Rondo sits vs Boston.

He's definitely been absorbing a lot from his brother's progress. His defensive approach is just like him and the warriors. Plays up real tight on his man

Give Seth Curry the start? I'm seriously hoping you're being sarcastic because if you aren't ... there are no words.
I know that is a stretch because Seth has a very small sample size to make any move on. But if Seth is anything like his brother, i'd like to know sooner rather than later.