Free Agency

The problem is if we keep we get nothing in return if the reports of him wanting out are true. 30 is not that old you are right, but the real issue is leverage and we don't have it.
99% of the time I would agree with you, but with the cap going up again next year, there will be teams who want to have a ton of cap space available as the free agent class next year is looking great. Someone like Rudy might be a great option for someone.

What in the world makes you think Payne is going to break out? Also, most of the okc roster is at their peak too and 30 is not that old.
No they're not.

Russell Westbrook: 27
Steven Adams: 23
Enes Kanter: 24
Andre Roberson: 24
Victor Oladipo: 24
Cameron Payne: 22
Domantas Sabonis: 20
Anthony Morrow: 31
Kyle Singler: 28
Dion Waiters??:24

That's basically their core. The only guys at their peak are Morrow and Singler...mostly because they're role players who might not even have a big role on the team next year.

OKC has a younger roster than we do.

So New Orleans has a press conference for their "free agents" tomorrow
But they can't afford all of them. Stein thinks it will be Norris cole.

I hope kings pick up toney douglas if/when New Orleans releases him

Douglas adds to the "lets completely change the defense on the wing" theme

Last edited:
I feel like we would be trading for trading sake in that scenario. I don't really think we would be improving. I honestly think Gay is better than Reke and fits better. Mclemore has more upside than Douglas. Koufas is better than Ajinca. I don't like it.
I agree with you but you have to look at the circumstances. If Collison indeed gets suspended we would have to start either Isaiah Cousins or Garret Temple at PG. We can't do that. Rudy wants out and in only on a one year deal. So Im sure a trade is coming. Of course we could go another way than Tyreke but there aren't that many options avalaible. Maybe Rubio. Maybe Bledsoe. Maybe Beverley. But that's it.
Actually if we just assume it's Rudy for Reke and Ajinca everything falls into place. Collison-Tyreke-Afflalo is a good guard rotation. Casspi and Barnes handle the SF Position. Cuz, Willie, Koufos and Tolliver is your frontcourt.
Bench scoring is not an issue anymore as either Reke or Collison gets all the back up PG minutes.

No on Reke. Been there, done that, no thanks. Keep Gay, get a good 2nd string PG for a good second string C. A pick for Ben. Pray to the heavens that WCS works out as a starter and go for the playoffs.

K

KingsFan80

Since we need a PG so bad maybe we should trade Rudy to Boston for Isaiah Thomas...oo wait we let him walk for NOTHING in return. That one still hurts for me. Freaking Vivek and PDA

I agree with you but you have to look at the circumstances. If Collison indeed gets suspended we would have to start either Isaiah Cousins or Garret Temple at PG. We can't do that. Rudy wants out and in only on a one year deal. So Im sure a trade is coming. Of course we could go another way than Tyreke but there aren't that many options avalaible. Maybe Rubio. Maybe Bledsoe. Maybe Beverley. But that's it.
Actually if we just assume it's Rudy for Reke and Ajinca everything falls into place. Collison-Tyreke-Afflalo is a good guard rotation. Casspi and Barnes handle the SF Position. Cuz, Willie, Koufos and Tolliver is your frontcourt.
Bench scoring is not an issue anymore as either Reke or Collison gets all the back up PG minutes.

It is a waste of assets. We could just sign someone like Norris Cole to back up DC instead.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
So New Orleans has a press conference for their "free agents" tomorrow
But they can't afford all of them. Stein thinks it will be Norris cole.

I hope kings pick up toney douglas if/when New Orleans releases him

Douglas adds to the "lets completely change the defense on the wing" theme
Bringing TD back would be fantastic.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Surprised - almost shocked to see the Blazers match on Crabbe. I figured the Turner signing was driven by The decision to let AC go. But Paul Allen has deep pockets and clearly they see last year's playoff run as the beginning of a contending team.

Steep price to pay for a sixth man who has had one good season but I understand.

In hindsight it's very good that Vlade targeted Afflalo instead. He's the better player currently, comes cheaper and was unrestricted.

If the Nets miss out on Crabbe AND Johnson that's going to make for a frustrating summer so far. Especially with LeVert apparently still not healthy enough for Summer League.

K

KingsFan80

Surprised - almost shocked to see the Blazers match on Crabbe. I figured the Turner signing was driven by The decision to let AC go. But Paul Allen has deep pockets and clearly they see last year's playoff run as the beginning of a contending team.

Steep price to pay for a sixth man who has had one good season but I understand.

In hindsight it's very good that Vlade targeted Afflalo instead. He's the better player currently, comes cheaper and was unrestricted.

If the Nets miss out on Crabbe AND Johnson that's going to make for a frustrating summer so far. Especially with LeVert apparently still not healthy enough for Summer League.
I wanted Crabbe to join the Kings but I guess in hindsight that wouldn't have worked out. Does Crabbe have the option to leave anyway or with the Blazers matching does he have no choice?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wanted Crabbe to join the Kings but I guess in hindsight that wouldn't have worked out. Does Crabbe have the option to leave anyway or with the Blazers matching does he have no choice?
He has no choice.

He may have preferred being a starter in Brooklyn rather than a reserve in Portland but he'll make the same money either way and in this scenario he'll likely make the playoffs, something I don't see the Nets doing.

The Blazers have done this before when they matched on what I thought was a crazy offer for Nic Batum from Minnesota.

K

KingsFan80

He has no choice.

He may have preferred being a starter in Brooklyn rather than a reserve in Portland but he'll make the same money either way and in this scenario he'll likely make the playoffs, something I don't see the Nets doing.

The Blazers have done this before when they matched on what I thought was a crazy offer for Nic Batum from Minnesota.
They might have a strategy to trade him and get value rather than letting him walk?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
They might have a strategy to trade him and get value rather than letting him walk?
It's definitely an attempt to hold onto an asset rather than lose it for nothing but I doubt they matched on Crabbe simply because they plan to trade him down the road.

After all, he just got top of market value. Hard to believe a team that didn't offer him $17.5 M/year would be willing to pay that price AND give up an asset for him.

And based on the rules Crabbe is a Blazer for at least a season if not longer.

I think this is correct. The Blazer are like the Kings, a low appeal team. Even when they make the playoffs and played really nice basketball, significant free agents are not targeting that team. That's why they match even a crazy offer and grow by trades and draft. The Crabbe contract is excessive in my opinion, but I can see the logic behind matching.

Jimmer is available.....

It's just summerleague, but boy did he look good.. I think jimmer should get 1 more shot at the NBA. He's a hardworker, but unfortunately wasn't blessed with any athleticism. He could make so much money playing overseas right now. I wonder if this is his last go for the NBA before he takes that overseas option.
eh, just another summer league superstar. Beware

i believe they'll be sorely mistaken. I see them coming back down to earth this coming season

With Crabbe's offer matched and Leonard resigned Harkless is there for the taking. Integral part of the Blazers PO run, defended Steph Curry in the second round and did well, great rebounder, low usage, very good defender.
We better be quick.

Well, Harkless can't shoot... :)

But more importantly, Blazers haven't waived his cap hold due to its small size. As a result Mo is still a RFA, and we just saw Crabbe being matched.
Nets will probably sign him now, but Blazers can still match.

K

KingsFan80

Sorry I'm missing the point here....

When we go to a conference finals, I'm sure we'll have the luxury of signing good players to reasonable deals as well.

These posts of yours make it seem like you have no idea how the NBA operates.
So you are implying we had no shot at Sullinger? If so, fair point. But it doesn't take away the fact it sucks. We paid more money for a scrub PF and they got a solid PF.