Free Agency

Am I the only one who wants to see what Dave Joerger can do with Rondo and Rudy? I really don't want them to be traded. It won't be easy to get this level of talent in Sacramento. I'd rather overpay for a better SG (and pay close to max for Rondo) and see how it goes.
that would handicap future moves. we will need to pay cousins soon, maybe ben if he's still here and wcs. if we're bringing in bogdon, hes gonna cost some $$ too. yeah the cap is rising but we can't be fools handing out big contracts like candy on halloween

well I have come to the decision I need to take 5-6 showers a day for the next 5 days.
Yeah, it's starting to look desperate. Time to step up your game!

Yep. It's nothing against Rondo or even Gay. They are just ball stoppers and their game won't/can't change at this point. Now matter how talented they are, you can't run a free flowing offense with them.
Coach Joerger told everyone willing to listen, that he doesn't have a system, but rather adapts his playbook to his personnel. Team with Demarcus Cousins should look to play through him every second, he's on the floor, not make him first of an array of equal weapons. Yes, it should be smarter, than we're used to seeing, often deteriorating into a wrestling match between Boogie and his defender, while ever, but it still should be around DFC first and foremost. We have just said goodbye to a free-flowing, everyone attacks mastermind.
Gay really looks by far the best available second scoring option, so turning away your nose, based on style, can only get you a high draft pick. Now Rudy wanted out in the winter, and maybe he still feel betrayed by the Malone firing as he cited working for MM as the main reason for extending, but if Rudy wants to be in Sacramento, it would be stupid to just give him away for generating his own offense on a team, that can't create any with Boogie on the bench.

Marc Stein
Jon Leuer has landed a four-year deal worth $42 million with the Pistons, sources
So Detroit came to the conclusion, that they are not getting Horford or Anderson, I guess.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Jon Leuer for $10M per year.......for 4 yrs........this FA process this year is insane. I think Vlade and Catanella so far are doing ok. Not great since we haven't signed anyone but also not terrible because we haven't overpaid some of these guys. If they can't get potential starters, wait this process out and then sign some vets to 1 year deals with a team option for big money to get to the cap floor.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojVerticalNBA
Vertical Sources: Hawks still shopping Paul Millsap now, working contingencies should Horford want to stay. Sides still apart on contract.

Good signing at a reasonable contract that improves a position of need. Looks like Vlade wasn't willing to give Lee the 4 years most likely as Bogdanovich will be here next year. Smart.
I think it might be the right move. I'd rather have Crabbe, but if we are planning on having Bogdan be our starting SG soon, I guess there is no sense in spending a boatload on that position this year.

Rondo leads the NBA in assists but he's washed up, his contract last year was a 1 year deal but it was dumb.
Funny thing about Rondo is that his stats last season were actually pretty good:

- Posted best three point shooting percentage of his career (.365)
- His shooting percentage for two pointers was the fifth best of his ten year career and better than his career average
- His assists per game matched his career high
- His defensive rebound total was a career high, likewise so was his overall rebound total.
- His points per game tied the second best of his career (he's averaged 11.9 ppg three times in his career)
- Steals per game was the second highest of his career

However, last season he posted his career high in turnovers per game, his free throw percentage was still poor, and his defense was pretty lacklustre. So Rondo is one of those difficult players to really decide on what we should do with them, because in some ways he did really well, and in others he was not the player he once was. The one year contract was worth the risk, but a new contract is a different proposition because is Rondo going to start playing defense like he did in Boston or has that ship sailed? If it has, then do we really want to bring back a player who struggles defensively and in some ways is a liability? It's a tough one to decide on and I don't envy Vlade's position on having to make a decision on him.

So let me get this right, you think....

Rondo leads the NBA in assists but he's washed up, his contract last year was a 1 year deal but it was dumb.

Your rehashing the Philly trade as a dumbass trade...it wasn't. No need to hash that out again. Those players were and are crap.

Fournier is going to be a top 5 SG in the league.

I love your passion but things aren't so extreme one way or the other.
Him getting assists do not balance his entire game out. If he wasn't washed up, why are there only a few teams after him in FA? Why aren't the Kings pushing hard for him when we desperately need a PG?
The only teams that have been connected to Rondo are the Bulls, Sixers, and Kings this year. Who else was connected to the Rondo last season? As far as I know, we bet against ourselves with $10million. This is the same Rondo who before the Mavs trade said that he would NOT resign in Sacramento no matter what. The Kings were willing up to give 2 1st rounders for Rondo, but Rondo said he would NOT resign with the Kings no matter what we did or who we brought in after his contract ends. That very offseason, he decides to sign with us... could it be because nobody else on the market wanted him? What made him change his heart to, "hell no, I will not resign with you if you trade for him" to "yes, i'll take sign here for 10million". We had the same exact roster. Nothing changed.

Yes the Sixers trade was dumb. We've traded consecutive pick swaps and our 2018 1st rounder(the year Cousins leaves) to sign an overpaid Rondo $10million/year. We would've been able to fit Belinelli and Koufos even wtihout the dump.

We traded away Carl Landry who's only making 6million/year. Scrubs like Etwan Moore are making 8million/year now. Jon Leur is making 10.5million/year. Mozgov is making 16million/year. You can't tell me Landry at 6million isn't cheap. You can't tell me no one in the NBA would've gone after Landry for a 2nd rounder.

JT only had 2-3million guaranteed on his contract for 2015. If we decided to keep him 1 more year, we could've waived him this year without penalty.

So Vlade traded away Landry at a valuable contract + JT +Rookie +pick swaps +future 1st just so we could win 4-5 more games, when we could've just waited 1 year?

I don't know about you, but 2015 was a crap show. Nothing could've gone worse. Landry/JT couldn't have made things worse.
I said this at the time of the trade, there's no need to trade Landry when guys are going to get crazy overpaid! His contract will seem like a bargain. Fast forward 1 year...his contract IS a bargain.

What does my opinion about Fournier have anything to do with this? Me thinking a guy who I've watched 50+times this season in the NBA will have a good future has nothing to do with the Sixers trade or Carl Landry. I don't know why you don't think Fournier becoming a top SG isn't plausible. If I cant infer from your previous post, you have not watched him very much? He's going to be very good.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Interesting addition considering they have just spent the second overall pick on a small forward, Brandon Ingram. I guess they might use Deng at power forward like the Heat did when Bosh went down, but that does throw Julius Randle to the bench. So either their second overall pick starts life on the bench, or they move a former top ten pick who looked pretty steady last year to the bench, for a solid veteran. I've got to be honest, I'm not sure what the Lakers are hoping for at this point because I doubt Deng and Mozgov are going to get them into the play offs, but at the same time they are two good veteran additions, albeit pricey ones.
I understand the logic of what they are doing. Deng is a stop gap who provides both a starting SG while Ingram fills out and adjusts to the NBA game and also provides a solid veteran presence who can help on his development. I think they overpaid, even in this FA climate but I get it. Mozgov they have to think is a solid starting C. I disagree but:

Mozgov
Randle
Deng/Ingram
Russell
Clarkson

is pretty balanced. But unless Ingram really is Durant-lite I don't see this roster achieving much.

Decent move. Lee is a much, much better defender as Afflalo has lost almost all aspects of his previous defensive ability, but Afflalo is more offensively inclined. Still a good shooter and a good vet. Lee helps us more the next 2 seasons, but hurts quite a bit during his age 34 and 35 years as he starts to decline.