Following Potential *2024* Draftees

Dunn is likely to become Andre Roberson. Thybulle at least can shoot corner 3 and a better passer, and he still played less in POs than in RS for Philly.

He's likely an UDFA so I'm hoping Kings pick up Jonathan Mogbo from San Francisco to be Sabonis understudy. This guy progressed massively this season and he hasn't had top level training yet in his career. 31p/21r/7a(1.8 A/TO) per 100 possessions. His FT% is up from .432 to .721, he also shot .673 non-dunks around the rim and .328 longer 2s so there's some hope he can shoot. Mogbo is the best player on both ends for his team. He tranferred to 7-9 WCC team and made them 9-2 one so far on par with Gonzaga, who they play at home after losing a close one away so San Francisco are likely to finish 2nd.

Dunn is likely to become Andre Roberson. Thybulle at least can shoot corner 3 and a better passer, and he still played less in POs than in RS for Philly.

He's likely an UDFA so I'm hoping Kings pick up Jonathan Mogbo from San Francisco to be Sabonis understudy. This guy progressed massively this season and he hasn't had top level training yet in his career. 31p/21r/7a(1.8 A/TO) per 100 possessions. His FT% is up from .432 to .721, he also shot .673 non-dunks around the rim and .328 longer 2s so there's some hope he can shoot. Mogbo is the best player on both ends for his team. He tranferred to 7-9 WCC team and made them 9-2 one so far on par with Gonzaga, who they play at home after losing a close one away so San Francisco are likely to finish 2nd.
I’d still take the risk on Dunn. In fact, if we make the playoffs and our pick conveys I’d be working the phones trying to land him anyway. If he pans out you have a top ten defense with Dunn, Keegan and Fox. Start Monk and you have more than enough Firepower in the starting lineup to make up for Dunn. On top of that, now Keegan doesn’t have to take the hardest defensive assignment every night and that may help his offense.

I’m no draft expert, and I watch very little college basketball but I’ve found that when I really latch on to a prospect I tend to get it right ( only has happened a handful of times) I just believe in the guy. Unfortunately I think OkC is going to take him. Their shooting coach has seemingly turned everyone on their team other than Giddey into a great shooter. Like they need another young player! I figure they take a center with one pick and then take a risk on a guy that could be a top 5 defender as a best case outcome.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Ben Humrichous: SF/PF, 6'9", 225 Lb's, Senior, Evansville
28.9 mpg - 15.4 ppg - 52.8% fgp - 44.6% 3pp - 72.7% ftp - 4.5 rpg - 1.7 apg - 0.6 stl's - 1.1 blk's

Thought I'd do a little write up on a player that I'm sure most of you have never heard of. Humrichous started out to be a baseball player, and he was a good one, until he shot up to 6'9". At that point he turned his attention to basketball, which he had only dabbled in up to that point. He spent his first three years going to Community college and then went through the transfer portal to Evansville. So he's a late comer to the game, but he's come far in a short period of time.

He's a very good 3 pt shooter with a very relaxed, effortless looking shot, shooting 44 percent while taking 5.3 attempts a game. He's capable of scoring at all three levels. His release point is a just a smidge low on his shot, but with his height and length, he has no problem getting it off. He's also shown to be a good passer who makes quick decisions with the ball. The ball never stops with him. About 30% of his shots come at the rim, where he's completing 67.4% of them. So far, his handles are more than adequate, although I think they will need some tightening up at the next level. He tends to get a bit loose with his dribble at times.

He's not afraid to put it on the floor and attack close outs where he'll go all the way to the basket, or pull up with a mid-range or a floater. He also has good recognition when defended by a smaller player in a post up, and immediately takes advantage of it. He'll also play a little bully ball at times. Defensively he showed quick decision making as a weakside help defender, always seeming to be in the right place all the time. In short, he seems to have a natural feel for the game.

The Video attached doesn't show him defending, but in the two games I watched, one against BYU and the other I believe was against Drake, he defended very well. He struggled a little on the perimeter when matched up against a smaller, quicker guard, but still used his overall length to make life difficult for the opposing player. Not saying he'll every make the all defense team, but I don't think he'll be a liability either. He's a decent rebounder, but could improve in that area.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I’d still take the risk on Dunn. In fact, if we make the playoffs and our pick conveys I’d be working the phones trying to land him anyway. If he pans out you have a top ten defense with Dunn, Keegan and Fox. Start Monk and you have more than enough Firepower in the starting lineup to make up for Dunn. On top of that, now Keegan doesn’t have to take the hardest defensive assignment every night and that may help his offense.

I’m no draft expert, and I watch very little college basketball but I’ve found that when I really latch on to a prospect I tend to get it right ( only has happened a handful of times) I just believe in the guy. Unfortunately I think OkC is going to take him. Their shooting coach has seemingly turned everyone on their team other than Giddey into a great shooter. Like they need another young player! I figure they take a center with one pick and then take a risk on a guy that could be a top 5 defender as a best case outcome.
You could be right about Dunn, but the odd's are against him. If he was shooting decent numbers from the free throw line, I'd be more encouraged, but he's not. I'm not sure I'd gamble on him in the 2nd rd, but in the 1st rd, and at 14, he'd have to give me some solid reasons between now and the draft. Who knows, maybe he will? If you're sitting at 14 that opens a whole field of players to you. I'd be hoping that Reed Sheppard somehow slides down to us. He's the entire package! The only knock on him is what exactly is he. I don't have a question about that, but apparently some NBA scouts do.

I'd have to think hard about Kyle Flipowski if he sitting there at 14. He's a player that could back up Sabonis, and also play along side Sabonis if he continues to improve his 3pt shot. I guess the point I'm trying to make is I would have to see who else is available before making that decision. I pray to God that were not sitting there with the 14th pick. That would be a disaster. Anyway, too early for me to be making any decisions on who we'll take regardless of where we're picking.

On another note, there are some people that can improve their shooting, but there are also some that never conquer the outside shot. There are people with physical deficiencies that can't be corrected. In some cases, they can be slightly improved. For instance, if you're color blind, you can't correct that. Some players have poor hand/eye coordination. Some have poor depth perception. Most shooters also have, for lack of a better word, a feel for the shot. Some don't, and never will. So, if the dude can't shoot, you're taking a gamble that he'll improve. I'll take that gamble at 55, but probably not at 14..

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Alex Karaban: SF, 6'8", 210 Lb's, Sophomore, UCONN
31.2 mpg - 14.3 ppg - 51.7% fgp - 40.3% 3pp - 89.4% ftp - 5.3 rpg - 1.5 apg - 1.0 stl's - 0.8 blk's

Just finished watching the UCONN/Villanova game, which was a good game until UCONN blew it open in the middle of the second half. Karaban struggled with his 3pt shot in the game, but hit a very important 3 pointer at the very end to give Newton, the pt guard a triple double. The star of the game was definitely Cam Spencer, the SG for UCONN. I believe he ended up with 25 points, and he's the one that blew open the game. But this is about Karaban, so back to him!

As a freshman last season he shot 40% from three, so most people, after he withdrew his name from the draft, had great expectations for him this year. Unfortunately the season didn't get off to the start he wanted as he struggled with his shot. At one point I believe he was shooting around 25% from three. Then, like all good shooters, he shot his way out of the slump. I saw the one game where he hit something like 8 in a row. I was thinking, did they steal Keegan from the Kings?

Karaban is a good athlete but not a great athlete. He actually has better lateral movement when defending than I expected, doing a good job keeping his man in front of him. He's a smart player who knows how to play the game. His BBIQ helps make up for any ahtletic deficiencies he might have. He's a very good post player who converts around 70% of his post ups. He doesn't have great handles, but knows his limitations and doesn't drive into a crowded lane. However, he's excellent at punishing a close out. He's also very good at taking advantage of a mismatch in the post.

I've watched multiple interviews and read several articles about him, and from what I can gleen, he loves the game, and spends a lot of his free time watching film of all the great players. The Michael Jordan's of the world. He's a Gym rat as well. Point being, is that you know you'd be getting a player that going to constantly work on his game. To me, he looks like a player that will end up being a solid rotational player, and if you can land that in the 2nd rd, then you've done your job.

Can he be more than that? Well anything is possible. In this draft, I can't predict that any player in it will be anything more than a solid rotational player! But of course, there will be some stars that come out of this draft. There almost always is. Just don't know who they will be. From top to bottom, almost every player has some sort of flaw. The best point guard in this draft can't shoot a lick. But that's for a different thread. It's possible that Karaban slides into the bottom of the first rd. I doubt it, but you never know.

Last edited:
Karaban is long enough, an excellent shooter from anywhere on the floor and not negative on defense in college. That's an NBA player.
His impact will be measured by how well he'll be able to defend quick forwards. Most likely Karaban is 15-20 minutes backup but maybe you can even squeeze Harrison Barnes of the first half of the season (without scoring in the post explosions) out of him.

Finding that perfect fit at PF next to Sabonis is going to be difficult and the teams that have those types of players currently rarely look to trade them. I think it would be wise to try and use at least some of our 2nds to try and find that player/diamond in the rough.

With that in mind, I feel like I’m going to be focusing on the following guys for our 2nd round pick (included what their age will be at the time of the draft):
  1. Alex Karaban (21.60 years old)
  2. Bobi Klintman (21.29 years old)
  3. Coleman Hawkins (22.53 years old)
  4. Kwame Evans (19.88 years old)
  5. PJ Hall (22.32 years old)
  6. Tristan Da Silva (23.10 years old)
  7. Ulrich Chomche (18.47 years old)

Chomche is super intriguing. He’s 6’11” with a 7’4” wingspan and supposedly great mobility. That would be an excellent physical profile to put at PF next to Sabonis. The question will be if he has the offensive and defensive skills to stick.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Finding that perfect fit at PF next to Sabonis is going to be difficult and the teams that have those types of players currently rarely look to trade them. I think it would be wise to try and use at least some of our 2nds to try and find that player/diamond in the rough.

With that in mind, I feel like I’m going to be focusing on the following guys for our 2nd round pick (included what their age will be at the time of the draft):
  1. Alex Karaban (21.60 years old)
  2. Bobi Klintman (21.29 years old)
  3. Coleman Hawkins (22.53 years old)
  4. Kwame Evans (19.88 years old)
  5. PJ Hall (22.32 years old)
  6. Tristan Da Silva (23.10 years old)
  7. Ulrich Chomche (18.47 years old)

Chomche is super intriguing. He’s 6’11” with a 7’4” wingspan and supposedly great mobility. That would be an excellent physical profile to put at PF next to Sabonis. The question will be if he has the offensive and defensive skills to stick.
I like all the players listed but all to different degree's. First, I think that Da Silva (who I love), Klintman, and Evans are all bottom of the 1st rd picks. My favorite player in that total group is Tristan Da Silva, who I think is likely to go somewhere between 16 and 20. Just my opinion though! I'm not a huge fan of Hawkins, but I do think he's a player that could end up being a rotational player in a year or two. I think Karaban is a good fit because he's similar to Keegan in that he can play multiple positions, has good length at 6'9", and he's a good shooter. I need Hall to shoot the ball better. He's a good rebounder and defender around the basket.

That brings me to Chomche, who I like a lot. Your betting on upside big time, but the reward could be great. Once again, because of his overall athletic talent, I think he'll get picked in the bottom half of the first rd. He could be the best player out of the group you listed. Hope I'm wrong about some of these players. They can't all go in the first rd.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I like all the players listed but all to different degree's. First, I think that Da Silva (who I love), Klintman, and Evans are all bottom of the 1st rd picks. My favorite player in that total group is Tristan Da Silva, who I think is likely to go somewhere between 16 and 20. Just my opinion though! I'm not a huge fan of Hawkins, but I do think he's a player that could end up being a rotational player in a year or two. I think Karaban is a good fit because he's similar to Keegan in that he can play multiple positions, has good length at 6'9", and he's a good shooter. I need Hall to shoot the ball better. He's a good rebounder and defender around the basket.

That brings me to Chomche, who I like a lot. Your betting on upside big time, but the reward could be great. Once again, because of his overall athletic talent, I think he'll get picked in the bottom half of the first rd. He could be the best player out of the group you listed. Hope I'm wrong about some of these players. They can't all go in the first rd.
On the PF side, what do you think of Jaedon Ledee out of SDSU? He's obviously no spring chicken, and he has bounced around a bit, now on his third school and only this senior season did he ever get any consistent playing time, but he's finally getting minutes and is easily the #1 guy on the Aztecs. Legit PF size, scoring 20+, rebounding 8+, finally been allowed to shoot threes and hitting at 45% on reasonable volume (1.2 shots a game). He doesn't seem to be on any of the mocks I've seen, but seems like a guy to keep an eye on.

I wasn't paying any attention at all to the draft because I presumed the Kings would make the playoffs and lose the pick.

All of the sudden with Monk's knee injury, sadly, we're probably all going to be a lot more interested on who will be available around #14 in the draft now. :(

So, Zach Edey at #13/#14?

We need to start looking at who’s available in the #13 or #14 range in the draft, because unfortunately, I don’t think we make it out of the play-in folks.

Last edited:
So, Zach Edey at #13/#14?

We need to start looking at who’s available in the #13 or #14 range in the draft, because I don’t think we make it out of the play-in folks.
I still think Edey is an NBA rotation guy. That said, it tells you what this draft is if he's actually in that range.

I still think Edey is an NBA rotation guy. That said, it tells you what this draft is if he's actually in that range.
I’ve not seen a mock that has Edey in the top 15. Most have him 25 or later. He did drop 37 in the championship game and he was matched up with a dominate defender who may go top 7 in this draft so that may have helped his stock. I wonder if OKC would be interested? Not their typical player but I could see it working next to Chet.

Kansas Jayhawks freshman Johnny Furphy
Looks like he's an intriguing prospect, reminds me of Peja. With 6'9" a floor spacer, and a decent shotblocker. Want to know more about him who watches Jayhawks.

Kansas Jayhawks freshman Johnny Furphy
Looks like he's an intriguing prospect, reminds me of Peja. With 6'9" a floor spacer, and a decent shotblocker. Want to know more about him who watches Jayhawks.
there are some draft gurus who really like Furphy. Monte, at least in the current build, has shown almost no interest in drafting players under 20. Maybe that changes down the road when our roster construction looks different but for now we need to be looking at older players (if we keep our pick). To me this means Da Silva, Knecht (if he falls or you trade up) McCullar Jr. I still like Ryan Dunn but I feel differently now that we have Keon in the starting group and our defense is good. If we stay as constructed I’ll looking for more offense now. If Knecht falls past 9 and we are sitting at 13 I’m trying to move up.

there are some draft gurus who really like Furphy. Monte, at least in the current build, has shown almost no interest in drafting players under 20. Maybe that changes down the road when our roster construction looks different but for now we need to be looking at older players (if we keep our pick). To me this means Da Silva, Knecht (if he falls or you trade up) McCullar Jr. I still like Ryan Dunn but I feel differently now that we have Keon in the starting group and our defense is good. If we stay as constructed I’ll looking for more offense now. If Knecht falls past 9 and we are sitting at 13 I’m trying to move up.
Oh, I see.

Is there any “local” guy who is in the hot list of prospects for the draft this year?
Yep, you're looking at Duke scoring guard/shooting guard Jared McCain. He's being ranked in the late teens to 20s on draft boards:

He's a great shooter and has shown some potential to be a shot creator, but he's a bit undersized for the 2 slot. He has a really large social media following. I think he would be a fan favorite if drafted by the Kings.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I was looking at his draft profile earlier today too. If he's as good as this report seems to suggest he is, we'll probably see him moving up the draft boards after workouts similar to Bilal Coulibaly last year.
Yeah I fear he could be Coulibaly but if he is at 13 and Monte takes a guard over him then I will be fully and full throated off the Monte Bandwagon.

I will bet now Chomche rises and may be gone before 13/14 if we are picking. He is a quintessential non Monte type of pick as a big risky swing but definitely the kind of pick Monte needs to make and hit on for the Kings to be anything other than a play-in team.