ESPN says Kings have decided to KEEP George Karl

This is a good decision even for those, like myself, that knows Karl is a bad fit.

We cannot keep the instability status quo from this front office and expect different results. The first thing that needs to happen here is to find a GM for the forseeable future. If that is Vlade or not, that needs to happen first.

Then that GM needs to find a coach and let him fill out his staff. Vlade didn't hire Karl and some of his assistants are Kings picks. This needs to change with the new coach.

The new coach and GM need to be on the same page so the strategies fit the personnel and vice versa.

We can't keep this up. Making a change now doesn't fix anything and sends the wrong signals to future candidates. Let Karl walk after the season and start from the top down.

Get ready to see Demarcus traded soon. I just hope we get a great haul from trading him away. A few draft picks and a core player for the future. Preferably a guard.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojVerticalNBA 4m4 minutes ago
Kings never decided to fire Karl, which is why...they didn't fire him. Ranadive leaned toward dismissal, but Divac talked him out of it.
This is interesting if true. Ranadive, during his reighn, has been rash leading to chaos. Divac advocating patience perhaps saying we all rise or burn together. It also would tell Georgie in no uncertain terms who is beholder to whom. He might even listen.

Remember when we all said "screw national media, they know nothing, the bad eggs are gone, we are gonna turn this around!" HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
To make a small point in our defense, the national media contended Boogie/Karl/Rondo would clash personally. That has been less of an issue than the fact Karl is old, lacks vitality and can't coach anymore. The basis to fire Karl was more based on his pathetic coaching performance and not feuding with players.

So the national media was wrong :p

Considering the circumstances, this is the right thing to do.

Look, I hate Karl's fast pace offense even more than his lack of defensive schemes and adjustments because it is totally wrong for our personnel and it is going to run the big fella into the ground. BUT... the season is likely gone. There is no point to change the coach again and make our team and Vlade/FO look incompetent (warranted or not) more than it already is when we are very likely to not make the playoffs this year regardless.

At least this shows prospective coaches out there that the team is willing to give the coach a chance even with this kind of adversity. Keep Karl until the end of the season and have him resign.

If we need about 19-20 wins out of our last 30 games to make the playoffs, it is not going to happen. This is assuming the Jazz, Blazers or Rockets will all be playing below .500 ball to even give us a slim chance.

As much as I hate the way Karl has handled things, many of the players are to blame as well for their lack of effort and being unprofessional in letting all this ruin themselves from even having a chance at the playoffs this year.

I suspect that Vlade had a meeting with Karl and basically told him the concerns of the FO and the players. It's either change, or you are gone right now. Karl, not wanting to be fired again, found it in his stubborn head to somehow make at least enough compromise that Vlade is allowing this. There may also be an agreement that not firing him now also entails Karl to resign after the season.

So the season was thrown away for what? The core players here QUIT on Karl. That means either he goes or the players go. Its time for Cousins trade, no other way around it. It's too late, he will never succeed in Sacramento. Give him a clean slate somewhere else and give us a clean slate and a new set of faces to get behind. Get players with character who play hard every night and play for eachother. This is just not a healthy environment for anyone to work in. Imagine how good WCS could be in a San Antonio environment? I don't want guys like him to be wasted away by this filth. Sometimes you have to take two steps back to come out ahead.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Get ready to see Demarcus traded soon. I just hope we get a great haul from trading him away. A few draft picks and a core player for the future. Preferably a guard.
We have threads for trade discussions. This isn't one of them. Let's try and keep this on track. It's too hard to split a thread once it's gone in about 10 different directions. Thanks... :)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I suspect that Vlade had a meeting with Karl and basically told him the concerns of the FO and the players. It's either change, or you are gone right now. Karl, not wanting to be fired again, found it in his stubborn head to somehow make at least enough compromise that Vlade is allowing this. There may also be an agreement that not firing him now also entails Karl to resign after the season.
Talk is cheap. Let's see if Karl can actually do more than just agree to some compromise.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Remember when we all said "screw national media, they know nothing, the bad eggs are gone, we are gonna turn this around!" HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
The sad thing is, I keep trying to come up with rational explanations for the bizarre series of contradictory decisions emanating from the front office and they keep finding moves which side step all of them. I give up! There is no rational explanation.

hm. didn't see that coming, but i think it's a big mistake. vlade may be seen as a capable consensus-builder, but it's also necessary to recognize when the constant strain of trying to build consensus has become counter-productive to the team's growth. the kings need to get focused on playing with consistency and learning how to win. they can't keep "hashing out their issues" every other month...

you can absolutely pursue and promote the idea of stability for all the wrong reasons. if karl wasn't the right coach for this team yesterday, he's not likely to transform into the right coach for this team tomorrow. and even if you can smooth over the problems of today, they will undoubtedly present themselves again before this season closes, and they will certainly present themselves again next season if karl retains his position to that point...

i mean, jesus, the last f***ing thing this franchise should want is a big fat question mark hanging over their heads as they open the doors to a new arena. the players can't head into every season wondering if their coach at training camp will still be there come the all-star break. either george karl is this franchise's guy for the long haul or he's not. figure it the f*** out and make a permanent decision...

all of that said, if vlade is simply biding his time and waiting for the offseason to jettison karl, i suppose that's just fine; it's what i'd been advocating prior to the five-game win streak and the ensuing downward spiral. since then, i've largely pivoted from that position in the belief that there's nothing left to salvage here, and it'd be best to gear up for the pursuit of tom thibodeau. but thibs likely isn't making any decisions about his future before the offseason anyway, and he's also not likely headed to new york. dream job though it may have been reported for thibodeau, phil jackson's not about to hire anybody outside of his coaching tree, especially a personality as strong and combative as thibodeau...

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
So I wonder if Karl's contract requires he actually attend practices and games? I mean could he tellacommute or something and let Corless handle all the pesky in person stuff?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
MOD NOTE: We have threads about George Karl. We have threads about DeMarcus Cousins. THIS thread is about the decision apparently made by Vlade NOT to fire George Karl and what it means in the short and long term. Just a request to kind of keep things on track.