Defensive Big Man Choices

K

KingMilz

Now why would they want to take a risk on a questionable personality in Sanders....and also pay him a ton of money, when we've got a prospect in Moreland who plays a very similar style and can sign to a much lower cost rooking contract?
Yeah after seeing Moreland do his thing I have jumped off the Sanders bandwagon unless we can trade Landry for him with some other garbage.

The Maddening thing about JT is his inability to keep from playing defense with his hands instead of his feet. Most of his fouls are "reach in" fouls and very seldom is he able to steal a ball without fouling. He's had too many years in the NBA to not have learned this lesson. I do agree, however, that if the FO is going to trade him, they better get someone better!!
Go Kings!!
Thompson by all accounts is an extremely dumb defender. He's out of position often, he fouls too much, after 6 years in the league he still hasn't figured out the verticality rule...

...and yet, despite all of this, he is still the best defensive PF on the roster by Synergy and +/- metrics. Because he has solid physical tools, something none of the rest of the riffraff can claim. You take Reggie Evans' brain and stick it into JT's body and there is no question that we have a longterm PF partner next to Cousins.

J

jdbraver

Thompson by all accounts is an extremely dumb defender. He's out of position often, he fouls too much, after 6 years in the league he still hasn't figured out the verticality rule...

...and yet, despite all of this, he is still the best defensive PF on the roster by Synergy and +/- metrics. Because he has solid physical tools, something none of the rest of the riffraff can claim. You take Reggie Evans' brain and stick it into JT's body and there is no question that we have a longterm PF partner next to Cousins.
Evans doesn't whine like JT. To me that is JT biggest weakness. The I didn't do anything sickness. At least Evans and Acy don't cry so much. I'd rather watch focus and intensity over size and tears.

Evans doesn't whine like JT. To me that is JT biggest weakness. The I didn't do anything sickness. At least Evans and Acy don't cry so much. I'd rather watch focus and intensity over size and tears.
that's what drives me crazy about him and makes me not stand him.

The constant dumbfounded look on his face while yelling at the top of his lungs towards the refs after every single call makes me want to punch him in his face

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I think it's safe to say that teams are scared to offer him anything at all based on his injury last season. He is a productive player though when he has a chance to play.

that's what drives me crazy about him and makes me not stand him.

The constant dumbfounded look on his face while yelling at the top of his lungs towards the refs after every single call makes me want to punch him in his face
Have to agree. I'd think by now that he would have grown past this, at least somewhat,...but unfortunately it seems like it's become worse. It never helps his 'cause' in any way at all

K

KingMilz

Larry Sanders article

Milwaukee Bucks center Larry Sanders is inclined to pick books over brawling these days after a nightclub beat down last year. Sanders reportedly got into it with a man in a Wisconsin bar last November which resulted in some smashed bottles and the other guy needing stitches. Apparently he's over all that now, preferring to spend his time with a good book instead. He's also mentoring some of the young bucks, big brother-style.
http://www.classicalite.com/article...s-books-brawling-days-nightclub-beat-down.htm

My mouth always waters over a mental stable (if possible) combo of LS and DMC, Larry has also been practising with the Bucks Summer League team. Maybe he's a somewhat changed man and has calmed down similar to what DMC did this season.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Larry Sanders article

http://www.classicalite.com/article...s-books-brawling-days-nightclub-beat-down.htm

My mouth always waters over a mental stable (if possible) combo of LS and DMC, Larry has also been practising with the Bucks Summer League team. Maybe he's a somewhat changed man and has calmed down similar to what DMC did this season.
See here, there's a big difference between the two: Drugs.

Now if Sanders is clean and gone cold turkey then that's a maybe. If not, then hell no.

We don't have that much money.

Emeka Okafor, Ekpeh Udoh, Ed Davis, and Jordan Hill are still available.

What are you waiting for PDA?
Okafor and Udoh are still out there. Could be worth signing one of them to a vet min deal in case Moreland ends up needing more seasoning in Reno to start off. I think the recent Outlaw/Acy trade bought the room under the luxury tax, assuming Ellington is stretched and Tyler waived.

K

KingMilz

I just looked at Hibberts contract and he's got 2 years left which means imo we could take a gamble on him even if he is badly overpriced, if it does not work out with us the upcoming season (we are unliklely to make the playoffs anyway) , he's a decent expiring deal in some ways the year after. We if we could swap Williams and Landry/JT for him that's actually a deal I would really do if the Pacers are going to make a move since PG went down.

I don't think Hibbert and Cousins would work. Hibbert is slow to get up and down the court and Cousins isn't exactly the fastest to get up and down either, unless he's dribbling.

I don't think Hibbert and Cousins would work. Hibbert is slow to get up and down the court and Cousins isn't exactly the fastest to get up and down either, unless he's dribbling.
You can't have everything.
If you have the opportunity to land a 7'3 shot blocking big to pair with Cousins while he devours the PFs of this league, you leap, not jump at that opportunity.

K

KingMilz

Both Z-Bo and Marc Gasol are very slow as well they seem to do fine and Cousins is faster than both, that should not be a issue, honestly is David West quicker than Cousins? I sure would not say he is at this point in his career.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
If your 5-man fontcourt next year was:

Roy Hibbert
DeMarcus Cousins
Carl Landry
Reggie Evans
Eric Moreland

that would be about as complete a frontcourt as you could assemble. Everything would key on Cuz's ability to play PF, but you would have 2 scorers, 2 shotblockers, and 2 rebounders. You would have answers for virtually everything, with only a true 3pt shooting stretch 4 posing any real matchup awkwardness. But I have been a longtime opponent/giggler at the idea that stretch 4s represent some sort of threat to anybody but their own team. When is the last time that any 3pt chucking PF outside of Kevin Love and Dirk, who also just happen to be/have been two of the best players in the league, chucked his team to victory out there?

K

KingMilz

If your 5-man fontcourt next year was:

that would be about as complete a frontcourt as you could assemble. Everything would key on Cuz's ability to play PF, but you would have 2 scorers, 2 shotblockers, and 2 rebounders. You would have answers for virtually everything, with only a true 3pt shooting stretch 4 posing any real matchup awkwardness.
I don't see why he couldn't of the top 15 or so PF's aside from Duncan/Ibaka/Davis/Gibson none of the other 11 are better defenders than DMC. To me Cousins is a better defender than a lot of elite PF's such as Griffin/Love/LMA and can play offence just as well.

Derrick Williams to Indiana to me makes sense now that PG is gone for a good amount of time, it's a place where he can start again and they need a SF they got no one atm. It's a high reward low risk signing and at worst clears cap space for them. It's similar to the gamble they took on Lance which paid off although this one probably won't. I think the deal if Indiana wants to move Hibbert is one that really does make sense for both parties, Indiana is going to take a couple steps back to move forward again and we get better.

The only concern to me with the Hibbert trade is if Rudy Gay goes on a Toronto like chucking spree and Hibbert starts to moan that's the only potential issue.

I don't get why people are questioning off DMC can play PF or that we would be to slow with him and Hibbert. DMC and PDA themselves have stated they want a 7'0 with them and DMC himself has said he wants to play PF so if he thinks he can why should we be concerned he knows who he would have to guard at that position.

But I have been a longtime opponent/giggler at the idea that stretch 4s represent some sort of threat to anybody but their own team. When is the last time that any 3pt chucking PF outside of Kevin Love and Dirk, who also just happen to be/have been two of the best players in the league, chucked his team to victory out there?
I am also against having a 3-point "chucking" PF - the likes of the undersized 6' 7" PF Josh Smith. But a non-chucking good 3-point shooter PF (or even Center) or so-called stretch-4 I will take.

Maybe you are forgetting the 3- point threat players - the likes of Rasheed Wallace, Robert Horry, or even Larry Bird on occasions he played PF?

Oh yeah, I also remember a center named Bill Laimbeer occasionally bombing with those three's!

Those were great Championship teams!

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I am also against having a 3-point "chucking" PF - the likes of the undersized 6' 7" PF Josh Smith. But a non-chucking good 3-point shooter PF (or even Center) or so-called stretch-4 I will take.

Maybe you are forgetting the 3- point threat players - the likes of Rasheed Wallace, Robert Horry, or even Larry Bird on occasions he played PF?

Oh yeah, I also remember a center named Bill Laimbeer occasionally bombing with those three's!

Those were great Championship teams!
Robert Horry is welcome to try to guard DeMarcus Cousins in the post anytime he wants to. I highly encourage it even. Never liked that S.O.B. and he would be in pain. Maybe Cuz can stomp on his face after he runs him over.

J

jdbraver

Robert Horry is welcome to try to guard DeMarcus Cousins in the post anytime he wants to. I highly encourage it even. Never liked that S.O.B. and he would be in pain. Maybe Cuz can stomp on his face after he runs him over.
Then cuz would get stomped by the dream or shaq

J

jdbraver

You can't actually be serious. Please just stop.
You are telling me you would take cuz hibbert over horry Olajuwon/Shaq? You are right hibbert is good at stopping. He stopped scoring and rebounding for two straight games.

Hell horry cuz would be better than hibbert sorry slow ass.