Dame asks out

I wonder how Grant would feel standing in the corner and watching Harden dribble at half court for 18 seconds

Seems like that trade is likely or a Lowry/Herro type package from the Heat.

I can't imagine the Blazers are caught off guard by this

How does Dame decide? I know the Blazers want to do right by him, but if they have a much better offer from a team that is not his preferred destination, the Blazers have to go for it
Which team wants to pay for a disgruntled Dame? It would be a one-year rental as he has a player option for next year. You don't antagonize the star player that you're getting in a trade.

Which team wants to pay for a disgruntled Dame? It would be a one-year rental as he has a player option for next year. You don't antagonize the star player that you're getting in a trade.
fair point. but I don't think Dame would be unprofessional if he ended up on a team that is not his preferred destination. Any team that would take him would be a team that is going for a championship and that thinks Dame would put them over the top. And if that were to play out, Dame might be happy to stay there.

fair point. but I don't think Dame would be unprofessional if he ended up on a team that is not his preferred destination. Any team that would take him would be a team that is going for a championship and that thinks Dame would put them over the top. And if that were to play out, Dame might be happy to stay there.
One would hope so. We have seen superstars force their way out of teams many times.

I just realized that he has already exercised his player option for next year. Any team trading for him should get him on board their vision before taking on a $90 million contract.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
You know, you could have done this a week ago and let Portland get some draft compensation and evaluate the Grant situation as a rebuilding team.

Dame Lillard is a b*. F dame.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Damn. I can't even imagine how the Blazers fans feel.
They are most likely blaming the FO for not trading the pick for 10 stars to win now.

My twitter feed has surprisingly not been Dame focused this morning, my son came down while I was playing video games and told me about it just now.

I think this is what the Blazers have been waiting for. They just didn’t want to be the ones to decide. Same with Lillard. He desperately didn’t want to look like a big market/ring chaser. Perhaps Blazers fans haven’t been realistic about their future prospects as built around Dame making this harder for the org to begin.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
With the salary floor Portland probably needed to give all that money to Jerami Grant anyway. They're not in bad shape overall considering they're likely to get a ton of picks for Lillard and now they can focus on building around Scoot, Shaedon, and Kris Murray. Dame was the only player on the team in his 30s. I'm sure they tried to shop the #3 pick and the returns were underwhelming. Miami isn't trading Bam or Jimmy and Brooklyn isn't trading Mikal Bridges -- the whole point of getting Lillard would be to stay competitive. So maybe they get a third team involved.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think this is what the Blazers have been waiting for. They just didn’t want to be the ones to decide. Same with Lillard. He desperately didn’t want to look like a big market/ring chaser. Perhaps Blazers fans haven’t been realistic about their future prospects as built around Dame making this harder for the org to begin.
With the salary floor Portland probably needed to give all that money to Jerami Grant anyway. They're not in bad shape overall considering they're likely to get a ton of picks for Lillard and now they can focus on building around Scoot, Shaedon, and Kris Murray. Dame was the only player on the team in his 30s. I'm sure they tried to shop the #3 pick and the returns were underwhelming. Miami isn't trading Bam or Jimmy and Brooklyn isn't trading Mikal Bridges -- the whole point of getting Lillard would be to stay competitive. So maybe they get a third team involved.
I agree with you both. But if the Blazers had the guts to make the decision on a full rebuild (the right decision IMO) they likely could have (a) gotten more for Dame and (b) used their cap room to absorb bad contracts from other teams for draft compensation ala the Thunder instead of locking up Grant for 5 seasons.