Best shooting guard prospects the Kings should look at

You know, once in a while it actually might be nice if you posted something without the freaking snark. We can have intelligent discussions around here without it always resorting to insults. What is going to happen? Gee, I wonder.

An escalation of insults, of snark, of meaningless crap that detracts from the topic at hand perhaps?

...sigh...
I'll happily quit it when people stop intentionally misrepresting quotes (knowingly) in order to make someone look bad.

You know as well as I do that no reasonable person would take the position that Vlade didn't have an exit meeting with Cuz because he's disgusted with him. That's nonsense and deserves to be called out.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'll happily quit it when people stop intentionally misrepresting quotes (knowingly) in order to make someone look bad.

You know as well as I do that no reasonable person would take the position that Vlade didn't have an exit meeting with Cuz because he's disgusted with him. That's nonsense and deserves to be called out.
Whatever. I personally do not recall you being selected to be the official "caller outer" but it seems you have adopted the post. Look back on your posts. It's a frequent occurrence. It just makes the job of a moderator more difficult because it sets a tone...and I think it detracts from legitimate discourse.

We have an IGNORE feature for a reason. If you think somebody is misrepresenting quotes, spouting nonsense, etc. why not give it a try?

Judgment phrases like "intentionally misrepresenting" and "no reasonable person" and even "nonsense" just ignite the flames and at times it seems there are just too many fires burning.

Just my two cents...

Whatever. I personally do not recall you being selected to be the official "caller outer" but it seems you have adopted the post. Look back on your posts. It's a frequent occurrence. It just makes the job of a moderator more difficult because it sets a tone...and I think it detracts from legitimate discourse.

We have an IGNORE feature for a reason. If you think somebody is misrepresenting quotes, spouting nonsense, etc. why not give it a try?

Judgment phrases like "intentionally misrepresenting" and "no reasonable person" and even "nonsense" just ignite the flames and at times it seems there are just too many fires burning.

Just my two cents...
It's a forum, I can express my opinion without being selected by anyone, just as others can express theirs.

Legitimate discourse applies to everyone. Not all opinions are equal, and enabling people who know they are talking nonsense isn't helping. People deserve to be called out if they're going to sling mud.

And yes I realise my tone is not good recently. It's extremely frustrating to read some of the stuff that's being posted. I should probably take a break from posting for a while.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I thought I would try and distinguish between Jamal Murray and Dejounte Murray. Both are SG's, and both are 6'5", but that's about where the comparison ends. Jamal is a solid 200 plus pounds, while Dejounte is a paltry, under nourished 162 pounds. Jamal is an excellent three point shooter, while Dejounte shot a sub par 28.8% from the three. That's not to say that Dejounte isn't without some skills.

He's been compared at times to Jamal Crawford, and I suspect it's because like Crawford, he has a wicked crossover dribble. While his overall three point average isn't that good, he is a streaky shooter who can get hot and put up some big numbers in a hurry. He almost single handedly brought Washington back from a 22 pt deficient against USC scoring 29 points. Despite his frail appearance, he's a good defender who averaged 1.8 steals a game. He's also a very good passer averaging 4.5 assists a game. Very good for a SG. I don't see him getting drafted until the 2nd round, but who knows. Someone desperate might reach for him. He does have long range potential. He's a good athlete with handles and a good feel for the game.
Outside of the fact that he's rail thin, Dejounte reminds me a bit of Tyreke Evans in how he plays - outside jumper isn't a real threat, but has a real knack of getting to the basket anyway. Unfortunately for Murray, I don't think he's anywhere near as good at converting at the rim, some due to being bounced around a bit because of his weight and some because I just don't think the talent level is quite equal. Right now he doesn't look like a guy I think we should be considering at #8, but I also guess that he'll be off the board before we might have an opportunity to acquire another pick, and certainly before our pick at #59.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Outside of the fact that he's rail thin, Dejounte reminds me a bit of Tyreke Evans in how he plays - outside jumper isn't a real threat, but has a real knack of getting to the basket anyway. Unfortunately for Murray, I don't think he's anywhere near as good at converting at the rim, some due to being bounced around a bit because of his weight and some because I just don't think the talent level is quite equal. Right now he doesn't look like a guy I think we should be considering at #8, but I also guess that he'll be off the board before we might have an opportunity to acquire another pick, and certainly before our pick at #59.
Yeah I doubt he'll be there at 59. Hard to get a read on him. There is no way we should consider him at number 8, so unless we acquire another pick through a trade, he shouldn't be up for consideration.

This might be the best example of delusion I have seen on this board. That is a spectacular way to misrepresent every reasonable interpretation of everything Cousins and Vlade have said. It would be borderline impressive if it wasn't so obscenely laughable.
Hyperbole much?

I am right a lot more often than wrong regarding this team, starting with Boogie and ending will every player on this roster present and past. I bashed Jason Thompson for years and was met with 90% scorn and silliness like yours. The delusion is often those who fall prey to group think which is almost always lazy and misguided and sentimental rather than objective.

For example, there is common sentiment on this board for months that Marco was a "championship asset" being misused and only if he were properly used the horrid season he logged never would have come to pass. Oh really? Then I guess we are to surmise the reason Seth outperformed him so dramatically once he got a chance (one I was calling for for months) was because Karl "used him correctly"?

Hog wash. Good players find way to be productive in minutes granted and opportunity allowed, circumstances be damned. It is having to cater to a limited skill set that reflects more on the player than anything else. Yet those who found Karl as a convenient scapegoat excused the underperformance of said player.

Moreover Karl was blamed by the masses for the early season shortcomings of Boogie by "not putting him in the post where he belongs". This was the conventional sentiment .....which is blatantly inaccurate. Boogie is face-up beast with a live dribble in the middle of the floor out of pick and roll and this agility and versatility was exploited in context of rim runs and periodic post-ups.

Boogie went onto to post career highs in a lot of statistical areas and had some of the best stretches of his career because of the way Karl used him.

Now ultimately Karl was a failure but not for this reason, which was completely disregarded by the fans on this board (excluding myself and a few others) who offer lazy incomplete analysis and then refuse to admit when they were wrong. Most recently I declared Karl needed to be fired the day after season ended so as to get head start on premium coaches. The response I received (not from you) was prepare for long ownership squabble while the debate Karls merits and lack thereof was belabored into the summer.

And here we are with a lot of history and water under the bridge and I am telling you Vlade is not married to the idea of Cousins long-term. Why would he be when his words are as hollow as the leadership and maturity he offers? I have a history of being right so accuse me of delusion at the risk of egg on your face.

I'll part by adding the odds of Boogie being traded this summer are greater than him returning.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Yeah I doubt he'll be there at 59. Hard to get a read on him. There is no way we should consider him at number 8, so unless we acquire another pick through a trade, he shouldn't be up for consideration.
I still need to watch more tape on him, but I like Dejounte a lot. Depending on who gets taken above us, I might even want him at #8. I watch a lot of Pac 12 basketball and Dejounte Murray and Jaylen Brown were far and away the most impressive prospects I saw in the Pac 12 this season. Jakob Poeltl is solid and Ivan Rabb and Marquese Chriss have a lot of talent as well but they didn't jump out of the screen at me as NBA players the same way.

The thing that jumps off the screen when I watch Dejounte play is that he's a special ballhandler. He can use either hand, he can maneuver through traffic, and he's got a knack for using his body to shield defenders away from the ball. He always looks like he's running downhill but not in an out of control way -- he just surprises people with how quickly he can move with the ball and change direction decisively. That's a skill that's going to translate right away and it's a rare skill. The jump shot needs work, he needs to get stronger, he could be better at finishing around the basket but on raw pure physical tools and ability he's already special and that's what I'm looking for. There's something to be said for a consummate system player who gets to their spots, moves the ball, and takes smart shots but the guys I flip out over show something special which elevates them above their peers and I always feel like you can teach fundamentals but you can't teach instincts or physical ability.

If you look at guys like Russell Westbrook or Kyrie Irving in college, there were questions about their ability to run an offense but there was no question about their ability to get to the basket and put pressure on the defense. And both of them have been able to use that scoring threat to create plays for other people. So I don't know that Dejounte is going to be a starting PG -- he's got some playmaking abilities but then he'll get into a scoring mode and stop looking for teammates too. It may be that his role is 6th man combo guard, but that doesn't make him a bad pick at #8. I'll take an elite 6th man over a mediocre starter if it comes to that. And actually, if we plan on keeping Seth Curry than somebody like Dejounte could end up being a perfect foil for his abilities. Jamal Crawford has had a 16 year NBA career (and counting). He's been a 20 point scorer, he just won his 3rd sixth man of the year award. I could see Dejounte having a similar impact in the NBA. He doesn't really have that killer pull-up J which limits his offensive potential right now, but I like how much he harasses ballhandlers on defense so his value isn't just as a scorer.

I still need to watch more tape on him, but I like Dejounte a lot. Depending on who gets taken above us, I might even want him at #8. I watch a lot of Pac 12 basketball and Dejounte Murray and Jaylen Brown were far and away the most impressive prospects I saw in the Pac 12 this season. Jakob Poeltl is solid and Ivan Rabb and Marquese Chriss have a lot of talent as well but they didn't jump out of the screen at me as NBA players the same way.

The thing that jumps off the screen when I watch Dejounte play is that he's a special ballhandler. He can use either hand, he can maneuver through traffic, and he's got a knack for using his body to shield defenders away from the ball. He always looks like he's running downhill but not in an out of control way -- he just surprises people with how quickly he can move with the ball and change direction decisively. That's a skill that's going to translate right away and it's a rare skill. The jump shot needs work, he needs to get stronger, he could be better at finishing around the basket but on raw pure physical tools and ability he's already special and that's what I'm looking for. There's something to be said for a consummate system player who gets to their spots, moves the ball, and takes smart shots but the guys I flip out over show something special which elevates them above their peers and I always feel like you can teach fundamentals but you can't teach instincts or physical ability.

If you look at guys like Russell Westbrook or Kyrie Irving in college, there were questions about their ability to run an offense but there was no question about their ability to get to the basket and put pressure on the defense. And both of them have been able to use that scoring threat to create plays for other people. So I don't know that Dejounte is going to be a starting PG -- he's got some playmaking abilities but then he'll get into a scoring mode and stop looking for teammates too. It may be that his role is 6th man combo guard, but that doesn't make him a bad pick at #8. I'll take an elite 6th man over a mediocre starter if it comes to that. And actually, if we plan on keeping Seth Curry than somebody like Dejounte could end up being a perfect foil for his abilities. Jamal Crawford has had a 16 year NBA career (and counting). He's been a 20 point scorer, he just won his 3rd sixth man of the year award. I could see Dejounte having a similar impact in the NBA. He doesn't really have that killer pull-up J which limits his offensive potential right now, but I like how much he harasses ballhandlers on defense so his value isn't just as a scorer.
Dejounte Murray reminds me a little of Penny Hardaway back in the day. I worry about his physique and ability to defend. He has some Kevin Martin and Rip Hamilton to his game too just based off the few clips I watched.