Anthony Davis watch

Might have been ADs worst game of the year overall. He scored 26 on brilliant shooting (9-15, 8-9 line), but 3 boards, 1 block no assists, no steals.

He might lead the league in scoring, and he's at times the 4th offensive option for the pels, behind Tyreke, Holliday, and Ryan Anderson. Can anyone recall anything like this?

PER drops to 33.5. God this guy sucks. ;)

Last edited:
He's still young and he'll have to learn to develop that killer, dominating attitude. Right now he deserves a little bit of criticism for not demanding the ball from his guards enough, especially in crunch time. That was a point made by the Pelicans commentators so I assume they know what they're talking about.
I am not sure that it's a given that it develops. I feel that it is something that you either have or don't. For example, Cousins's rookie year in a summer league game against the T-Wolves... we were down 1 and the game was drawing to a close, Cousins backed down his defender, spun left and hook shot = game winner. The significance of this was that the T-Wolves were one of the 4 teams to pass on him in the draft and that was certainly something that Cousins did not forget. He had this attitude from Day 1.

I have not watched AD enough to know for sure whether or not he has that "killer" gene in him. When I have watched him (probably 4-5 games worth), I don't feel that killer instinct. I see a guy that is incredibly gifted both with skills and athleticism, but I don't see out of him what I see in Cousins. When the game is on the line, I know, you know, our mothers know who will be getting the ball down the stretch for the Kings. With the Pelicans, this isn't the case. Most of the time I have no idea who will be touching the ball (even though I know who should be). I partly blame their coach, but also AD to an extent. If he had that killer attitude, he would speak up and say "Give me the ball." Nothing else, nothing more than that. I don't consider him incapable of carrying them down the stretch in tight games, but he has got to want the ball. He's got to man up, pin his man down on the block or get the ball at the top of the key, and go to work.

AD may be more gifted than Cuz or they might be on equal terms (doesn't matter to me), but give me the guy with the "I will beat you to a pulp" attitude over the more passive guy any day of the week. If there is a difference in talent, it isn't a sharp one. Cousins any day of the week for me.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I am not sure that it's a given that it develops. I feel that it is something that you either have or don't.
Nobody thought that LeBron James had a "killer gene" until he had one. In fact, the book on him was precisely that he didn't have one: that he would rather pass than attempt the game-winning shot. Then he tore the Thunder and the Spurs' hearts out in consecutive seasons, and nobody says he lacks killer instinct any more. Every one said that Dirk Nowitzki lacked killer instinct until after he won a championship, too.

I get the sense that Davis may just be one of those players that you and others have made up your mind about, and you won't ever be dissuaded until and unless you see him raise a banner. And hey, I'm not even knocking that; I feel the same way about Stephen Curry. I don't like that kid's game, and no matter how many great plays he makes, or how many threes he hits, until he wins a title, I refuse to believe in him.

Nobody thought that LeBron James had a "killer gene" until he had one. In fact, the book on him was precisely that he didn't have one: that he would rather pass than attempt the game-winning shot. Then he tore the Thunder and the Spurs' hearts out in consecutive seasons, and nobody says he lacks killer instinct any more. Every one said that Dirk Nowitzki lacked killer instinct until after he won a championship, too.

I get the sense that Davis may just be one of those players that you and others have made up your mind about, and you won't ever be dissuaded until and unless you see him raise a banner. And hey, I'm not even knocking that; I feel the same way about Stephen Curry. I don't like that kid's game, and no matter how many great plays he makes, or how many threes he hits, until he wins a title, I refuse to believe in him.
Not entirely true. I believe in his talent and skills, I am just less inclined to believe in his attitude/mentality (thus far). You bring up fair points, but with Lebron he also sucked against Dallas in the Finals as well. It also took Dirk well over a decade to win a ring. I also don't like Curry's game. It will never stand deep in the playoffs.

I think Blake Griffin is better than Anthony Davis right now.

Griffin is the better offensive player, while Davis is the better defensive player.

The biggest factor for me is that Griffin is a leader and Davis is a follower. I have no clue why a player of Davis' caliber is as passive as he currently is.

Who would you rather have? A passive Lebron James or a vocal Kevin Durant? For me, it would obviously be a vocal KD.

It comes down to the same with Griffin and AD.
Griffin outplayed AD in their head to head matchup and it wasn't even CLOSE. AD scored almost all of shots in the 4th quarter when the Clipper's lead was well extended and Griffin wasn't on the floor anymore.

I think Blake Griffin is better than Anthony Davis right now.

Griffin is the better offensive player, while Davis is the better defensive player.

The biggest factor for me is that Griffin is a leader and Davis is a follower. I have no clue why a player of Davis' caliber is as passive as he currently is.

Who would you rather have? A passive Lebron James or a vocal Kevin Durant? For me, it would obviously be a vocal KD.

It comes down to the same with Griffin and AD.
Griffin outplayed AD in their head to head matchup and it wasn't even CLOSE. AD scored almost all of shots in the 4th quarter when the Clipper's lead was well extended and Griffin wasn't on the floor anymore.
I wonder if you would be saying that if AD has Chris Paul on his team. Blake isn't a leader. He is all flash and no substance. Look past the dunks and easy shots. In regards to the Clippers, their main problem is that they don't have that leading voice. Chris Paul is the designated leader, but he has never led any of his teams to anything except the 2nd round before. Not good enough. The Clippers play a style of basketball that goes away significantly in the playoffs. While their talent may be off the chart, they worry too much about flopping, officiating, and lose focus. They really should be a lot better than they are because talent wise, they are top 3 or 4 in the league.

I wonder if you would be saying that if AD has Chris Paul on his team. Blake isn't a leader. He is all flash and no substance. Look past the dunks and easy shots. In regards to the Clippers, their main problem is that they don't have that leading voice. Chris Paul is the designated leader, but he has never led any of his teams to anything except the 2nd round before. Not good enough. The Clippers play a style of basketball that goes away significantly in the playoffs. While their talent may be off the chart, they worry too much about flopping, officiating, and lose focus. They really should be a lot better than they are because talent wise, they are top 3 or 4 in the league.
Griffin can actually knock down 15ft jumpers. He also has more of a post game than AD. He has both the size and quickness to take his defender to the post, but we hardly see that with AD. I think it's a lack of strength and post game for AD.

The problems this year for the Clippers aren't the same. The Clippers role lack a good bench which is their major weakness. DeAndre Jordan becomes a black hole once they reach the playoffs too. I think it has less to do with CP3 and Griffin, then it was to do with the rest of that team.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
He also has more of a post game than AD.
Not really.

I look at it like this: if you ask me which player is more likely to get fifty in a game, I'm going to say Griffin. If you ask me which player is more likely to get a 20-point, 20-rebound, 10-block triple-double, I'm going to say Davis. And if you ask me which one of those players I would consider to be more important, I would say the one who can do the second thing.

Maybe Griffin has this tremendous post game, but I don't really see it. Davis can't see Cousins, or Jeezy, or even Brook Lopez in the post, but I've actually seen Davis win an NBA game with a post move, and I can't say that about Griffin.

"Anthony Davis is something new. Something never seen before, something that represents—and may as well be from—the future.

That is why the search for comparable players from the past never seems to yield any results.

The Numbers

Fruitless as it feels, we have to look in those bygone eras because Davis' numbers this season put him so far beyond his contemporaries. He's miles ahead of his peers with a 33.2 player efficiency rating and is the only guy in the league who ranks in the top 10 in points, rebounds, blocks and steals per game, according to Basketball-Reference.com.

He is also shooting 57.7 percent from the floor and unofficially has lapped the field in "Holy crap, what did I just see?!" highlights.

Davis is statistically peerless."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2293737-anthony-davis-is-beyond-compare-so-stop-trying

Put AD on the clippers over Blake they win the title. The other way around? Pelicans would be ever worse.

Last edited:
K

KingMilz

Put AD on the clippers over Blake they win the title. The other way around? Pelicans would be ever worse.
There's no way you can know if that's true or not, that's hypothetical and until it either occurs you can't make that statement imo. I'm pretty sure without Chris Paul, Blake Griffin took a roster similar to what Davis has to one of the best records in the L during that stretch. Outside of CP3 and Blake the Clipper don't have much talent at all.

Also Davis literally couldn't score 2night when Quincy Acy was on him (other than one bail out foul call where Acy had him locked up), which for a MVP candidate is pretty sad.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
There's no way you can know if that's true or not, that's hypothetical and until it either occurs you can't make that statement imo. I'm pretty sure without Chris Paul, Blake Griffin took a roster similar to what Davis has to one of the best records in the L during that stretch.
Wait, when did that happen? I recall Griffin having a losing career record before Paul showed up.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
You mean, after Chris Paul had already taught those guys how to win, and they had Doc Rivers, and they'd brought in shooters to stretch the floor, and they signed guys to be tough so that Griffin didn't have to, and Jordan was having a career year? That's all on Griffin, huh?

K

KingMilz

Wait, when did that happen? I recall Griffin having a losing career record before Paul showed up.
Last year when Paul was injured the Clippers went on a crazy run with Blake and DC.

You mean, after Chris Paul had already taught those guys how to win, and they had Doc Rivers, and they'd brought in shooters to stretch the floor, and they signed guys to be tough so that Griffin didn't have to, and Jordan was having a career year? That's all on Griffin, huh?
You mean scrubs like Jared Dudley (who they couldn't wait to get rid of) and Matt Barnes? Who is tough on that team? Broke down Hedo or Big Baby who barley played? Please that was all Blake Griffin last year once CP3 went down, without his playmaking and ability score in the paint they were not going to do anything.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Last year when Paul was injured the Clippers went on a crazy run with Blake and DC.

You mean scrubs like Jared Dudley (who they couldn't wait to get rid of) and Matt Barnes? Who is tough on that team? Broke down Hedo or Big Baby who barley played?
Okay fine, I would like to modify my previous statement:

The only way I take Blake Griffin over Anthony Davis is if Griffin comes with Chris Paul and Doc Rivers.

K

KingMilz

Okay fine, I would like to modify my previous statement:

The only way I take Blake Griffin over Anthony Davis is if Griffin comes with Chris Paul and Doc Rivers.
That I agree with, my whole thing is you can't say (not directed at you) take player A off one team take and swap him with player B and that teams wins a championship and the other team becomes worse. That's not how it works.

That I agree with, my whole thing is you can't say (not directed at you) take player A off one team take and swap him with player B and that teams wins a championship and the other team becomes worse. That's not how it works.
The point was, AD is much better than Blake. That's all. In my opinion, which apparently you feel is wrong and I shouldn't be allowed to say, is that AD, being a much better player, would therefore make any team he's on better than Blake does. Clippers are a pretender as constructed. AD would give them a real legit chance.

If you think it's a stretch to say AD is not better than Blake, well, there's really no statistical argument for that. You won't convince me of that.

In this case, yea it is.

Blake is an elite PF and certainly one of the top bigs in the league in the last 15 years, but an AD-CP3 PnR would absolutely wreck the NBA. It'd be Nash-Amare reincarnate, except CP3 and Davis are lock-down defenders too.

The point was, AD is much better than Blake. That's all. In my opinion, which apparently you feel is wrong and I shouldn't be allowed to say, is that AD, being a much better player, would therefore make any team he's on better than Blake does. Clippers are a pretender as constructed. AD would give them a real legit chance.

If you think it's a stretch to say AD is not better than Blake, well, there's really no statistical argument for that. You won't convince me of that.
I have a question for you. Who would you rather have? A passive Lebron, or a vocal Durant?

If Lebron was not a vocal player, he would not be as great as he is. AD is someone who you can shut down if you force the easy alley oops and dunks away.
Let's take away both AD and BG's dunks and alley oops. BG would still be the better offensive player.

Defensively, the only thing AD has over Griffin is his blocks. AD is a monster at blocks, but he's not a great man on man defender. There's a reason why he didn't guard Cousins.

I have a question for you. Who would you rather have? A passive Lebron, or a vocal Durant?

If Lebron was not a vocal player, he would not be as great as he is. AD is someone who you can shut down if you force the easy alley oops and dunks away.
Let's take away both AD and BG's dunks and alley oops. BG would still be the better offensive player.

Defensively, the only thing AD has over Griffin is his blocks. AD is a monster at blocks, but he's not a great man on man defender. There's a reason why he didn't guard Cousins.
Hey, if you think Blake is better, more power to ya.

I do not. Not in any way on either side of the court. But I have an irrational hatred of all things from LA.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Davis questionable to return against Cleveland, with a chest contusion.

EDIT - Just made official, per Jen Hale, Davis will not return tonight.

Last edited:
He pretty much took a road victory from the Jazz last night on the defensive end. We couldn't do anything for the last 8 minutes of the 4th quarter.

He pretty much took a road victory from the Jazz last night on the defensive end. We couldn't do anything for the last 8 minutes of the 4th quarter.
Your team isn't good.. You guys need to seriously start trading your players and changing your lineups. The only other team that I can think of that has a small 1-3 lineup is the Raptors. Let's compare the Jazz to the Raptors 1-3s.

Jazz- Burke, Burks, Hayward
Rapt- Lowry, DeRozan, Ross

Like Utah, Toronto has a ball dominate back court. However, unlike Utah, Toronto's SF is not ball dominate. He's a 3&D guy.

The Jazz has way too many ball dominate players in your starting lineup. I think Hayward is a lock to stay... so it means either Burke or Burks gets the boot. I actually think a very good idea would be to make Burks-Hayward your starting back court. They would have a ton of size over opponents and this would function as last year's PHX backcourt. I think Burks is fully capable of PG duties. Hayward would be right there to help him out. I think Burks is a more natural PG and Hayward more of a SG.

Bring a 3&D guy through trade(Maybe someone like Harrison Barnes), or promote Hood from the bench, and let him be a catch and shoot player.

I think Burks-Hayward-Barnes would scare a lot of teams in the NBA. I don't think Burke is a starting PG...neither is Exum at this moment.

Anthony Davis remains alone at the top of all-time PER seasons. Wilts 31.82 is still well below AD's current 33.4.
He's in the midst of arguably the greatest season ever for a player of his age. Wilt was already in his mid-20's at the time he did it. He's also just on the outside of a top 10 all time wins/shares per 48 at 11.

It's almost the end of december. Can we start taking him seriously yet?

1*. Anthony Davis 33.4 2014-2015
1.Wilt Chamberlain*31.821962-63SFW
2.Wilt Chamberlain*31.741961-62PHW
3.Michael Jordan*31.711987-88CHI
4.LeBron James31.672008-09CLE
5.Michael Jordan*31.631990-91CHI
6.Wilt Chamberlain*31.631963-64SFW
7.LeBron James31.592012-13MIA
8.Michael Jordan*31.181989-90CHI
9.Michael Jordan*31.141988-89CHI
10.LeBron James31.112009-10CLE

Anthony Davis remains alone at the top of all-time PER seasons. Wilts 31.82 is still well below AD's current 33.4.
He's in the midst of arguably the greatest season ever for a player of his age. Wilt was already in his mid-20's at the time he did it. He's also just on the outside of a top 10 all time wins/shares per 48 at 11.

It's almost the end of december. Can we start taking him seriously yet?

1*. Anthony Davis 33.4 2014-2015
1.Wilt Chamberlain*31.821962-63SFW
2.Wilt Chamberlain*31.741961-62PHW
3.Michael Jordan*31.711987-88CHI
4.LeBron James31.672008-09CLE
5.Michael Jordan*31.631990-91CHI
6.Wilt Chamberlain*31.631963-64SFW
7.LeBron James31.592012-13MIA
8.Michael Jordan*31.181989-90CHI
9.Michael Jordan*31.141988-89CHI
10.LeBron James31.112009-10CLE
Na, still can't create for himself like Cuz can ;)