Anthony Davis watch

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
NO guards forgot they have Davis on their team.
Also bodes well for us, as that has been a pattern for New Orleans this season: as good as Holiday and Evans have been, if the game is close down the stretch, they'll take Anthony Davis out of the game for us.

NO guards forgot they have Davis on their team.
Might've been one of the most selfish plays I've ever seen this season down the stretch lol. The person who touches the ball 1st, is the one to shoot the basket. Holiday and Evans shot the team out of the game... combined 10-37.

Also bodes well for us, as that has been a pattern for New Orleans this season: as good as Holiday and Evans have been, if the game is close down the stretch, they'll take Anthony Davis out of the game for us.
Funny thing is AD went 14-20 today, and they only went to him once down the stretch....

Never thought i would say this but we really need JT to play tomorrow. Need some of that defense on Davis that we have seen JT play on guys like Aldridge and Griffin already

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Well,

a) Portland did its job about as well as possible here. Beating them, with a late surge that will be in their heads and caused them to have to play their main guys to the end.

b) there remains, and will remain, my question about A.D., and it comes up at times like these: he does not create his own offense. He's wildly efficient because so much of his stuff is just as a finisher. And so when the going gets tough and the games get tight, you don't have to beat Anthony Davis. You just have to beat their guards, because he depends on them. Contrast that to our situation, where once our main guys have the ball they will do the rest.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I actually happen to think that "can't create his own offense" is a stupid knock to put on a big but, whatever. Shaq couldn't create his own offense, either. Neither can Duncan. Neither can Howard, nor Brook Lopez, nor Al Jefferson... Frankly, most bigs can't create their own offense.

Now, where you want to knock Anthony Davis, where it is fair, and what could keep him from truly elite status, is that he's too ****ing passive. He needs to demand that one of his guards give him the ball. After about three or four of those possessions, Davis should grabbed one of his guards by the throat in each hand and screamed, "Look, you little mother****ers, pass me the goddamned ball!"

I actually happen to think that "can't create his own offense" is a stupid knock to put on a big but, whatever. Shaq couldn't create his own offense, either. Neither can Duncan. Neither can Howard, nor Brook Lopez, nor Al Jefferson...
I don't know why you are putting Shaq/Duncan/Jefferson in this.

You could most certainly throw Shaq the ball in the post and tell him to go to work. He would power his man to the rim and dunk on him or "jump hook them to death" in his words

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I don't know why you are putting Shaq/Duncan/Jefferson in this.

You could most certainly throw Shaq the ball in the post and tell him to go to work. He would power his man to the rim and dunk on him or "jump hook them to death" in his words
Davis can't create his own shot in the sense that he can't play with his back to the basket. You can't just dump him the ball in the post.
We've never really had occasion to find out. We don't actually know if he can do it, because they never actually give him the ball to try to do it. It's not like you can point to a whole bunch of times where they gave him the ball down low, and told him to score, and he couldn't.

Bricklayer

I actually happen to think that "can't create his own offense" is a stupid knock to put on a big but, whatever. Shaq couldn't create his own offense, either. Neither can Duncan. Neither can Howard, nor Brook Lopez, nor Al Jefferson... Frankly, most bigs can't create their own offense.

Now, where you want to knock Anthony Davis, where it is fair, and what could keep him from truly elite status, is that he's too ****ing passive. He needs to demand that one of his guards give him the ball. After about three or four of those possessions, Davis should grabbed one of his guards by the throat in each hand and screamed, "Look, you little mother****ers, pass me the goddamned ball!"
No there's a difference. Shaq, Al Jefferson etc. are perfect examples of guys who CAN create their offense. The gap is this: you can throw it to those guys, standing still, and they make all the moves, create the disadvantage for the defense with their own skill. Davis's limitation is that he needs somebody, normally Reke, to break down the defense first, to create that scoring opportunity, and then he just completes it. Its not 100% obviously. He's not DeAndre Jordan. But it is the same idea. Goto guy scorers normally don't need their teammates to beat the defense for them. They beat it.

Bricklayer

We've never really had occasion to find out. We don't actually know if he can do it, because they never actually give him the ball to try to do it. It's not like you can point to a whole bunch of times where they gave him the ball down low, and told him to score, and he couldn't.
That's a bit like saying we don't know that Dwight Howard can't shoot threes.

Actually not quite even that, because its quite obvious if you have a young franchise big who can dominate with nothing more than an entry pass, you're going to use that, at least some of the time. But I think the Davis grew up a guard narrative comes into play here.

It's like saying we don't know if Cousins actually can shoot 3pters, he might be able to, but we don't let him try it. AD cannot play with his back to the basket. He cannot create his own offense. That is the biggest knock on him, until he proves otherwise.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
No there's a difference. Shaq, Al Jefferson etc. are perfect examples of guys who CAN create their offense. The gap is this: you can throw it to those guys, standing still, and they make all the moves, create the disadvantage for the defense with their own skill. Davis's limitation is that he needs somebody, normally Reke, to break down the defense first, to create that scoring opportunity, and then he just completes it. Its not 100% obviously. He's not DeAndre Jordan. But it is the same idea. Goto guy scorers normally don't need their teammates to beat the defense for them. They beat it.
Eh, I've seen all nine games the Pelicans have played this season, and I can't recall more than, maybe, two or three times where they've given him the ball to do something with it, whether it was on the low post or the high post, and he couldn't. He might not back you all the way down and "jump hook you to death," but he doesn't appear to have any difficulty creating space to get himself a wide-open jump shot, or taking his man off the dribble to score on the drive (like he did to Duncan to win the game, Saturday before last); in fact, he gets to the rim pretty much any time he wants to. To borrow a British expression, I consider that to be close enough to "create his own offense" as makes no odds. He doesn't have a go-to move, but that's not the same thing as not being able to create his own offense, because he absolutely can do that.

The problem with his creating his own offense is the same as it is with virtually all other bigs: he's dependent on someone to give him the ball. If you give Davis the ball at free throw line extended, and clear out for him, there's a real short list of guys who can stop him from scoring. But, by not getting him the ball soon enough it the offense, it becomes much easier for the defense to push him out of his comfort zone. As soon as Davis becomes enough of an ***hole to make his guards give him the ball, the 'narrative' about him not being able to create will disappear quickly.

I'm baffled at how you can say those guys can't create there shot when that's all there strength.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
If Davis could work with his back to the basket, don't you think they would let him?
First of All™, working with your back to the basket isn't the only way for bigs to create their own offense. Nowitzki, Griffin and Aldridge can't really work with their backs to the basket, either. And, second of all,

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I'm baffled at how you can say those guys can't create there shot when that's all there strength.
Well, I didn't actually say "create their own shot," I said "create their own offense." For the purposes of my post, I define the person who creates the offense as the one who brings the ball up, and gets everybody into their sets. There are a lot of guys in the league who can create their own shot, but can't create their own offense. Generally speaking, only guards and wings can create their own offense.

First of All™, working with your back to the basket isn't the only way for bigs to create their own offense. Nowitzki, Griffin and Aldridge can't really work with their backs to the basket, either. And, second of all,

Nowitzki and Aldridge absolutely can work with their back to the basket. That may not be their bread and butter, but that skill set isn't non-existent when it comes to them.

Shaq, Duncan, Brook Lopez and Big Al can all create their own shot. Dwight is questionable, but he's improved over the years. Davis really needs assisted buckets. He sort of has a face up jumper game, but it's still kind of awkward. Outside of layups/dunks, he's most efficient from the baseline jumper range,

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Shaq, Duncan, Brook Lopez and Big Al can all create their own shot. Dwight is questionable, but he's improved over the years. Davis really needs assisted buckets. He sort of has a face up jumper game, but it's still kind of awkward. Outside of layups/dunks, he's most efficient from the baseline jumper range,
Like I said already, creating your own shot is not the same thing as creating your own offense, but we are otherwise, more or less, in agreement. I will push back on the notion that he 'needs' assisted baskets: I am not compelled to believe that he 'needs' assisted baskets. I will, of course, stipulate that most of his baskets are assisted, but that may well be a chicken-an-egg circumstance. Tyson Chandler 'needs' assisted baskets, DeAndre Jordan 'needs' assisted baskets, (insert first name here) Plumlee 'needs' assisted baskets, Andre Drummond 'needs' assisted baskets. I am unconvinced that Davis 'needs' them, even though that's where most of his offense comes from.

Lol I've just watched the 4th quarter... I hope this is how they play tomorrow. AD is overrated as hell.. there's a reason why the Pelicans don't go to AD down the stretch. He can't create his own shot... Tyreke forcing everything too
You clearly missed the rest of the game, along with ... maybe every Pelicans game. You're basically the equivalent of a Knicks fan going "Lol Cousins still has anger issues and will never be an all-star"

You clearly missed the rest of the game, along with ... maybe every Pelicans game. You're basically the equivalent of a Knicks fan going "Lol Cousins still has anger issues and will never be an all-star"
Really? That 4th quarter was laughable, did you watch ANY of it? Davis is overrated... wake me up when he can post up and create his own offense. Why do you think the Pelicans didn't go to AD down the stretch? There must be a reason why.. do all of his shots HAVE to be created by his teammates? You can't just give AD the ball like you do Cuz and expect him to do a lot with it.

Tell me AD's post moves. He doesn't score without the help of his guards. You most be equivalent to those NBA fans who think they know it all.

Really? That 4th quarter was laughable, did you watch ANY of it? Davis is overrated... wake me up when he can post up and create his own offense. Why do you think the Pelicans didn't go to AD down the stretch? There must be a reason why.. do all of his shots HAVE to be created by his teammates? You can't just give AD the ball like you do Cuz and expect him to do a lot with it.

Tell me AD's post moves. He doesn't score without the help of his guards. You most be equivalent to those NBA fans who think they know it all.
I'll let the people who actually watch the Pelicans chime in. Also, creating own offense doesn't necessarily mean posting up. Go ahead, watch the whole game. He created his own shot on multiple occasions. He's still not the same kind of offensive player that Cousins is, nor will he ever be. But Cousins also will never be the defensive or athletic force that Davis is.

But alright why don't the Kings just stop by the NBA overrated shop and pick up a guy who can get you 31/11/3/3/3 on 14-20 shooting? You know, the same kind of guys that just happen to average 25/12/4 blocks that just grow on trees and can't create their own shots? Overrated much!

But hey what do I know, since you watched all of the 4th quarter of one game? Because even our own beloved Cousins has never had a bad quarter or one where we mysteriously go away from him right?

Mods: I realised there's a thread about AD specifically. Feel free to move these posts over.

Last edited:
The pelicans clearly have/had (last night at least) crunch time issues. But AD did just fine scoring on Duncan with the game on the line last week, as Slim mentioned. He's passive. Not incapable. Just be glad that's the case cause the NBA is going to be AD's world quite soon. The pels sure didn't lose because of AD. Tyreke/Holliday are the reason.

Guy goes 14-20, 31 points, 11 boards/3 steals, 3 blocks and all you hear here is what he can't do.

Pelicans aren't a great road team. I think locking them in already as a playoff team may be too soon. They don't have the experience and the west, especially on the road, is a nightmare for anyone. We learned that against Memphis/dallas. Heck Houston got annihilated by Memphis. Pels just found out how rough it is against Portland.

Going to be wild all season in the west. If you want to make the playoffs, better protect that home court.

I'll let the people who actually watch the Pelicans chime in. Also, creating own offense doesn't necessarily mean posting up. Go ahead, watch the whole game. He created his own shot on multiple occasions. He's still not the same kind of offensive player that Cousins is, nor will he ever be. But Cousins also will never be the defensive or athletic force that Davis is.

But alright why don't the Kings just stop by the NBA overrated shop and pick up a guy who can get you 31/11/3/3/3 on 14-20 shooting? You know, the same kind of guys that just happen to average 25/12/4 blocks that just grow on trees and can't create their own shots? Overrated much!

But hey what do I know, since you watched all of the 4th quarter of one game? Because even our own beloved Cousins has never had a bad quarter or one where we mysteriously go away from him right?

Mods: I realised there's a thread about AD specifically. Feel free to move these posts over.
Why do you think, that Brow will never be as good a defender as Boogie?:rolleyes:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anthony Davis is a DIFFERENT kind of defender than Cousins who has taken a huge leap forward with his defense and is yet only starting to get begrudging respect for it from fans and sportswriters/media.

I think there's a bit of cognitive dissonance for people when it comes to Cousins and Davis. Boogie slightly taller (6'9.5" to 6'9.25"), longer (7'5.75" to 7'5.5") and with a significantly longer reach (9'5" to 9') than Davis. Add in that Cousins has 30-40 lbs on him and you see that you have a big, strong and definitely long paint clogger in DMC.

Davis on the other hand is ideally suited to be a weakside shotblocker and rim protector. It's why I think the move for the Pelicans to get Asik was a fantastic one. You get that big bodied defender to take on the opponents best post player and Davis can come over and help or challenge shots in the lane instead of being backed into the paint by stronger guys.

The Kings need to fill their PF spot (IMO) in the opposite way, by letting Cuz be the big body down low and somehow acquiring the athletic shotblocker.