2021 NBA Draft Superthread

Who do you think the Kings end up drafting in tonight?

• Wagner

Votes: 24 39.3%
  • Sengun

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Moody

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • Johnson

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Kuminga

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • They’ll end up trading the pick.

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • Other

Votes: 5 8.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Well you may be in luck as the latest Intel has GoldenState taking Wagner at 7 and Orlando with Kuminga at 8 and us taking Sengun at 9.
Depends on whether the Warriors manage to pull off a Beal trade (or equivalent trade) tonight or not. If the Wizards wind up getting that pick, I don't see them grabbing another 3/4 stretch big wing after taking Rui and Deni in consecutive drafts (in fact they'd probably become a prime Sengun destination as a team completely blowing it up and having just hired Mike Malone's right hand man in Denver as coach).

That said, I don't see a trade happening there but it's a possibility.

I just don’t want Wagner.
I didn't either at first but I've watched a few Michigan reruns on ESPN before bed this last week and Wagner is actually pretty impressive. Reminds me a lot of Haliburton actually. Plays almost mistake free except his defense is much better than Hali's. When they let him run the pick and roll, he is capable of making some sweet passes that not many players his size can make. I think he will be like Hali/Ingles where his numbers wont always jump off the page at you but his advanced stats will be among the best on the team.

Watched a couple Jalen Johnson games and he is definitely going to take more time to develop than Wagner but he looks like he could take over games in a way that Wagner can't. He has a bit of Buddy in him where he makes some really stupid decisions that leave you scratching your head. He's aggressive, strong and puts in effort but he has mental lapses all over the place. He also makes things happen in a way that Wagner doesn't and that is more important to a struggling team....but that's probably going to take him a couple years at the next level.

Depends on whether the Warriors manage to pull off a Beal trade (or equivalent trade) tonight or not. If the Wizards wind up getting that pick, I don't see them grabbing another 3/4 stretch big wing after taking Rui and Deni in consecutive drafts (in fact they'd probably become a prime Sengun destination as a team completely blowing it up and having just hired Mike Malone's right hand man in Denver as coach).

That said, I don't see a trade happening there but it's a possibility.
yeah a lot of analytics guys have Sengun #1 on their boards.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Well you may be in luck as the latest Intel has GoldenState taking Wagner at 7 and Orlando with Kuminga at 8 and us taking Sengun at 9.
Makes sense for GS if they can’t trade the pick. Based on everything he seems solid, but I want MORE.

I’d be cool with hoping on Sengun.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I'm definitely not completely against drafting Sengun but I would be against it if that was all we were to do tonight. If we do that Buddy trade and bring in a second first round pick to get that wing help we need, I'd be all for drafting him. Just not sure Kings fans would be patient enough to survive several years of Sengun struggling to adjust to being a third option in the NBA.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Makes sense for GS if they can’t trade the pick. Based on everything he seems solid, but I want MORE.

I’d be cool with hoping on Sengun.
It's weird but aside from wildly reaching on a late first round level guy or drafting Mitchell or something, I am pretty much already at peace with whatever Monte decides to do with this pick.

It's weird but aside from wildly reaching on a late first round level guy or drafting Mitchell or something, I am pretty much already at peace with whatever Monte decides to do with this pick.
Me too. And I want to watch the draft (kids will mess with those plans). But it is going to be strange not knowing if the dude the Kings draft is really their pick (or part of a trade). Same with the Lakers pick (am I rooting for them to draft someone I like?).

This seems to be the only thing tying the Kings to Sengun. Monte is known as an analytics guy and Sengun is loved by analytics. I just can't see him taking Sengun looking at the type of players he has acquired or tried to acquire.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
This seems to be the only thing tying the Kings to Sengun. Monte is known as an analytics guy and Sengun is loved by analytics. I just can't see him taking Sengun looking at the type of players he has acquired or tried to acquire.
I can but with a couple caveats.

Sengun makes sense for the Kings if McNair & co believe that Sengun:
(a) is capable of being (or becoming) a full time center in the NBA. They certainly measured him when he visited so I think they'll have a sense of whether he's truly a starting big or a throwback PF that can't man the middle.
(b) has shooting upside that will allow him to be a good floor spacing big in time

So far the only things we can really glean from McNair in terms of what he's said and the moves he's made are that:

• He wants to build around Fox
  • He prefers long, athletic, and (ideally) two way wings
  • If Haliburton is any indication he prefers high BBIQ players
  • Analytics play a significant role in his thinking
In terms of analytics, Sengun's efficiency and playmaking at his size are going to appeal and Sengun clearly has a very good feel for the game.

For the other two points - having a post playing big doesn't preclude having long athletic wings at both forward spots. If anything it's a good balance. As far as the fit with Fox, that could be tricky. Sengun operates in the key which clogs the lane for Fox to attack the basket. Which is why it would have to be the case the Sengun develop his shot to be a floor spacer.

IF those conditions are met, then he provides a different type of offense and additional playmaking as well as rebounding. He's a great outlet passer so he doesn't need to be a WCS running the floor on breaks. He can pass ahead and trail the play.

The biggest issue of course would be adding a potential liability on defense to a team that is already the worst in the league on that end. This is where you'd need good defenders starting at the 3&4. I don't think Sengun and two good wing defenders will ultimately be any worse (and can potentially be significantly better) than Holmes, Bagley, and Barnes were last year. Particularly because Bagley had such glaring deficiencies on that end of the floor.

Pay no mind to mock drafts. There's a reason most of them are all significantly different - they're someone's opinion or guesswork. Most of these people don't have connections. And the ones that do are vulnerable to intentional misdirection.

Pay no mind to mock drafts. There's a reason most of them are all significantly different - they're someone's opinion or guesswork. Most of these people don't have connections. And the ones that do are vulnerable to intentional misdirection.
Not related at all to your post, but you seem to have the best feel for Sengun.

What do you think of him developing as a spacer? Think 35%-ish on some volume is attainable?

Sengun scares me, but at the same time you know he at least has an elite skill. Not sure low post scoring is the elite skill that is number one priority, but if you pair that with an above average three point shot, playmaking ability and acceptable defense.... then you really have something.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Well here we are at the moment of truth. The rumors so far have us taking Wagner, Sengun, or Moody? Ugh. I like Moody but he's the guy on my draft wishlist that I'm least excited about and I think y'all are way wrong about Sengun and Wagner being top 10 talents. I'm hoping McNair has got some trade wizardry planned if those are our options at 9. Did I mention how much I hate the NBA draft? It seems like every year I get all hyped up on a half dozen of these prospects and we don't pick any of them.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Sengun scares me, but at the same time you know he at least has an elite skill. Not sure low post scoring is the elite skill that is number one priority, but if you pair that with an above average three point shot, playmaking ability and acceptable defense.... then you really have something.
Right, if this was 2003 or something, Sengun'd be a slam-dunk at 9. In 2021, though, I'm not sure you should be spending draft capital on a guy who feasts when have to clear the paint for him.

Right, if this was 2003 or something, Sengun'd be a slam-dunk at 9. In 2021, though, I'm not sure you should be spending draft capital on a guy who feasts when have to clear the paint for him.
yah we already tried picking the guy that has a good post game but can’t shoot. Although he shoots better now