2021 NBA Draft Superthread

Who do you think the Kings end up drafting in tonight?

• Wagner

Votes: 24 39.3%
  • Sengun

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Moody

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • Johnson

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Kuminga

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • They’ll end up trading the pick.

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • Other

Votes: 5 8.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
"Our relationship is over with our disgruntled star who refuses to shoot in the 4th quarter. Oh btw, give me your whole team for him"

is a hell of a trade strategy.
"It's this guy's fault and this guy's fault alone that we lost in the conference semi-finals despite being heavily favored and we never want to see his face in this town again! Anyways, trade us Dame and a couple of picks for him or else we'll have no choice but to keep him!!"

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
"It's this guy's fault and this guy's fault alone that we lost in the conference semi-finals despite being heavily favored and we never want to see his face in this town again! Anyways, trade us Dame and a couple of picks for him or else we'll have to keep him!!"
It's like somebody suddenly turned on "trade logic" on Morey's NBA 2K life and he just hasn't realized it yet.

Not related at all to your post, but you seem to have the best feel for Sengun.

What do you think of him developing as a spacer? Think 35%-ish on some volume is attainable?
I wouldn't consider myself an authority on Sengun, but I have liked him for a while. I have no worries about his shot, and I would be surprised if he isn't around 35% from three, by year 3 or so. He has the feel, touch and form to be a good shooter from the outside, it's just not his bread and butter right now. People acting like he can't shoot will be proven wrong. He is not just a post guy either, he has legitimate talent as a facilitator and will be able to take other bigs off the dribble due to his handles and quickness.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's not surprising that all the 1st rounders from 2007 and 2008 are either on different teams or out of the league. That's 13 to 14 years ago. That'd be Kobe or Timmy level to still be with the team that drafted you at that point.

Lowenherz beat me to it but Rubio isn't only coincidentally with the team that drafted him after leaving Minny and playing for Utah and Phoenix before returning last season.

Not surprising that Steph and Klay are two of the only guy from the 2009-2011 drafts that are legitimately still with the team that drafted them.

Interesting that he only two guys still with their team from the 2012 draft (Beals and Lillard) could potentially be traded this offseason.

I made this point in another thread, but the reason Kuminga scares me is that the Kings already had two elite athletes that were expected to go higher in the draft fall in their laps in Thomas Robinson and Ben McLemore. Both were viewed as guys with all the physical tools and abilities who were still raw in a basketball sense. I mean, at least Ben had gorgeous form on his jumper and we thought at least Robinson's rebounding would translate. Kuminga doesn't really have anything to hang his hat on at the moment. He could end up being one of the best players in this class, but he could also be a Justice Winslow type bust and I think the latter is a bit more likely.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Eric Pincus @EricPincus
B/R Staff Makes Final 2021 NBA Draft Predictions - I went for more rogue/wild predictions - like the Knicks including Mitchell Robinson with thier two picks to get No. 9 from Sacramento - just guessing here, trying to have some fun with it! bleacherreport.com/articles/29464…

Yes all day!
Holy hell, where do I sign up for this trade. If the Lakers trade also goes through, the Kings would have three mid-1sts to work with to potential move back up and nab one of the guys they've been scouting or move again and gather draft assets for future seasons.

Also Mitchell Robinson, injury issues be damned, would immediately be our best defender.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Well, I finally researched the prospects in our range, and let me just say I will not mind it in the least if McNair decides to go with….

….. trading the pick for a vet.

I guess I wouldn’t be mad if we end up with Sengun, Kuminga, or Wagner either. More apathetic with a willingness to be pleasantly surprised down the road.

Might even be a good draft to pull the Vlade move of trading down for multiple picks! As long as McNair doesn’t pull the other Vlade move of blowing said picks!

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member

Serious question: what the hell would the Spurs even do with Kuzma? They've been playing Keldon at the 4 slot and have Vassell waiting in the wings for more playing time and Kuzma doesn't really fit the mold of a Spurs big in the post-Duncan era.
Only slightly less serious question: what the hell would the Lakers do with DeRozan? He's still a 26% 3Pt shooter who won't spread the floor for James and Davis. His game is midrange and in which doesn't seem like a good fit. He's become a good playmaker but how much of that will he get to showcase with LeBron dominating the ball?

Weird trade rumor all around.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer

Serious question: what the hell would the Spurs even do with Kuzma? They've been playing Keldon at the 4 slot and have Vassell waiting in the wings for more playing time and Kuzma doesn't really fit the mold of a Spurs big in the post-Duncan era.
This smells like Lakers PR to push the Kings into making a quick deal w/o doing their homework.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Holy hell, where do I sign up for this trade. If the Lakers trade also goes through, the Kings would have three mid-1sts to work with to potential move back up and nab one of the guys they've been scouting or move again and gather draft assets for future seasons.

Also Mitchell Robinson, injury issues be damned, would immediately be our best defender.
I don't know how realistic this made-up trade offer is (Eric Pincus covers the Lakers so probably not very), but if anyone needs a reminder that the perceived value of serviceable young bigs right now is the lowest it's ever been here's another one. As proven shooters with reasonable contracts, Buddy Hield and Harrison Barnes probably have more trade value around the league right now than we think. How McNair chooses to leverage that value could be more significant than his draft picks this year.

My favorite pet theory is that Golden State would love to dump Wiggins and Wiseman and Harrison Barnes is a guy that already fits their lineup and timeline. I don't really want Wiggins or Wiseman for us but a 3rd team might be interested.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Only slightly less serious question: what the hell would the Lakers do with DeRozan? He's still a 26% 3Pt shooter who won't spread the floor for James and Davis. His game is midrange and in which doesn't seem like a good fit. He's become a good playmaker but how much of that will he get to showcase with LeBron dominating the ball?

Weird trade rumor all around.
Plus signing DeRozan would hard cap them

I'm going with Sengun. An analytics darling who dominated a strong mens league at 18. I think he can have an impact similar to Sabonis which is fantastic value at 9.