Yahoo: The 10 best teams of the decade never to win a championship (Yahoo! Sports)

Revrag

Father, Husband, KingsFan
Staff member
Administrator
Contributor
OK, we know that the first decade of the 21st century doesn't really end until 2011. We think.

More...

I really hate when people try to justify the game 6 officiating by point out the officiating in game 5. The whole point of the federal investigation that was done was to show that the league was trying to appoint the lakers as the 01-02 champs. Doesnt that say enough? From my knowledge its the most controversial case of rigging a professional sports game ever. Anyway, I guess theyre saying the Cavs were number 1 because they won the most games. Nevermind them being in the Eastern conference = /

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm beyond the whole "jobbing" of the team by the referees and I wish supposed sports analysts would get past it, too. Quite frankly, I know of at least four people on this board (right off the top of my head) that could have done a MUCH better job with this kind of article. In fact, I'd like to see at least a couple of them - and I think they probably know who they are - give it a try.

Sorry, Dwyer, but your article is vapid and predictable...and I'm just glad I didn't have to pay anything to read it.

I really hate when people try to justify the game 6 officiating by point out the officiating in game 5. The whole point of the federal investigation that was done was to show that the league was trying to appoint the lakers as the 01-02 champs. Doesnt that say enough? From my knowledge its the most controversial case of rigging a professional sports game ever. Anyway, I guess theyre saying the Cavs were number 1 because they won the most games. Nevermind them being in the Eastern conference = /
Whether the Lakers got a little jobbed in Game 5 really doesn't mean much, except Jackson complained loudly to the media, which always seems to work for him. Anyway, Lakers fans tend to forget that Horry's last second shot in game 4 wouldn't have mattered if the refs hadn't counted Samaki Walker's 3-pointer after the half time buzzer. It was released well after the buzzer, which was complety and irrefutably shown in replays. The next season the refs were allowed to review tape on buzzer beaters at the end of periods, becasue the NBA was pretty embarrassed by that horrible non-call, too.

I want the Kings to win a championship someday, but it won't ever make the pain of that series go away, because I loved those guys and they played such beautiful team basketball. They refs tore out their hearts in front of our eyes. I choose to look forward with hope and not think about it too often. Until something like this article makes me think about it again. That and every time they show that damn Horry shot, which is too often for me.

Last edited:
Ok. Cavs at 1?

And I won't even touch on the Game 5 comment or the flopping comment.
No kidding. Vlade could flop all day and it would never make up for the Bibby's nose fouling Kobe's deliberately aimed elbows call. Nor would it make up for the breathing on Shaq calls against Vlade in game 6. Shaq didn't have to flop, because he got calls for just being slightly touched by our guys.

No kidding. Vlade could flop all day and it would never make up for the Bibby's nose fouling Kobe's deliberately aimed elbows call. Nor would it make up for the breathing on Shaq calls against Vlade in game 6. Shaq didn't have to flop, because he got calls for just being slightly touched by our guys.
Yeah, he feailed to mention those ones now, didn't he? :rolleyes:

Plus it just seems that whenever someone talks about Vlade, they HAVE to mention flopping. If it's intended for a cheap laugh, it certainly accomplishies cheap and it stopped being funny about 15 years ago. :rolleyes:

Quite frankly, I know of at least four people on this board (right off the top of my head) that could have done a MUCH better job with this kind of article. In fact, I'd like to see at least a couple of them - and I think they probably know who they are - give it a try.
Well, 21, if *I* were going to write this article, #1 thing I'd do is disqualify any teams that actually won a championship in this decade (four of his automatically come off the list: Lakers, Spurs, Pistons, Heat). I wouldn't go season by season, but would look at the teams that actually had a chance at the championship, and include them based on how close they were. The Nets of '02 and '03 is one glaring omission. I'd also find a way to include the '00 Pacers (which, by extension or honorable mention, would include the '98 Pacers).

My list would include, in no particular order:

Kings ('02-'04)
Nets ('02, '03)
Blazers ('00)
Mavs ('06, '07)
Suns ('05-'07, maybe #1 on the list)
Wolves ('04)
Cavs ('09)
Pacers ('00, '04)
Sixers ('01, '03)

That's nine. If I were going to break my rule for teams who actually broke through and won it, I would break it for the Pistons, for going to the ECF six years in a row. Teams like the Lakers and Spurs, who both won it four and three times respectively, don't belong on a list like this.

If Kings would have won that 02 finals like they should have they would be in mainstream discussions for top 5 team period of this decade. As Kings fans we know how good that team really was but without a ring everyone else becomes blind.

K

KingsFan4Life_2323

Kings...

Whether the Lakers got a little jobbed in Game 5 really doesn't mean much, except Jackson complained loudly to the media, which always seems to work for him. Anyway, Lakers fans tend to forget that Horry's last second shot in game 4 wouldn't have mattered if the refs hadn't counted Samaki Walker's 3-pointer after the half time buzzer. It was released well after the buzzer, which was complety and irrefutably shown in replays. The next season the refs were allowed to review tape on buzzer beaters at the end of periods, becasue the NBA was pretty embarrassed by that horrible non-call, too.

I want the Kings to win a championship someday, but it won't ever make the pain of that series go away, because I loved those guys and they played such beautiful team basketball. They refs tore out their hearts in front of our eyes. I choose to look forward with hope and not think about it too often. Until something like this article makes me think about it again. That and every time they show that damn Horry shot, which is too often for me.
Walker's three pointer after the buzzer PISSED ME OFF back when it happened, until Mr. Horry hit that three pointer that is.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

I also agree with you 100% that the pain on that series will never ever go away, I extremely miss watching good ol KINGS BASKETBALL!!!! The product on the court back then was absolutely amazing and worth watching. I am so happy that I was able to be a season ticket holder during those years. I still remember Bibby's game 5 shot like it happened yesterday. That arena was rocking like never before...

However, what pisses me off more than Walker's and Horry's shots is/was the fact that Dona-Pee was paid by a bunch of selfish bastards to get the Kobes into the damn finals, because the nba wanted RATINGS, rather than wanting the best team that season to win the championship. Stern, Jackson, Kobe, Shaq, Horry, The Laker Girls, and Laker fans all know deep down inside that the better team was from SACRAMENTO, and NOT LOS ANGELES!!!!!!

Kings Fan 4 Life!

Last edited by a moderator:
walker's Three Pointer After The Buzzer Pissed Me Off Back When It Happened, Until Mr. Horry Hit That Three Pointer That Is.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

I Also Agree With You 100% That The Pain On That Series Will Never Ever Go Away, I Extremely Miss Watching Good Ol Kings Basketball!!!! The Product On The Court Back Then Was Absolutely Amazing And Worth Watching. I Am So Happy That I Was Able To Be A Season Ticket Holder During Those Years. I Still Remember Bibby's Game 5 Shot Like It Happened Yesterday. That Arena Was Rocking Like Never Before...

However, What Pisses Me Off More Than Walker's And Horry's Shots Is/was The Fact That Dona-pee Was Paid By A Bunch Of Selfish Bastards To Get The Kobes Into The Damn Finals, Because The Nba Wanted Ratings, Rather Than Wanting The Best Team That Season To Win The Championship. Stern, Jackson, Kobe, Shaq, Horry, [Edit: Comment removed by mod.], And Laker Fans All Know Deep Down Inside That The Better Team Was From Sacramento, And Not Los Angeles!!!!!!

Kings Fan 4 Life!
Word
+1

Last edited by a moderator:
Wasn't even our best team -- that was the 02-03 squad when the dream abruptly ended with Webb's knee.
That's true. And it was almost as painful to have our hearts torn out again. Somehow it was easier to take, because injuries are part of the game and can happen to any team any time. That was a truly great team that year, though.