Would Gerald Henderson be a good fit?

seems Portland might be willing to part with him.
Do not know what to offer for him, Ben?
Anderson is a FA this year. I guess it's ultimately up to the Kings on whether or not they're going to fully push 8th seed even without Karl.

It gets a bit scary knowing that if our push fails and Henderson leaves, it means we gave up Ben for nothing. It's even more scary once you realize that WCS would be our only young developmental talent left.

I think he'd be a good fit here. He would probably solidify our starting SG

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
This guy is a 32% three point shooter for his career. He's playing 18 minutes per game off the bench for Portland having a flukey good shooting year on only 82 shots. Trading Ben for him is crazy. Not to mention we're both fighting for the same playoff spot. We don't want to help them (unless we're tanking for Philly's benefit I guess) and they don't want to help us. I doubt swapping SGs is going to be a great move for either team in that context.

K

KingMilz

This guy is a 32% three point shooter for his career. He's playing 18 minutes per game off the bench for Portland having a flukey good shooting year on only 82 shots. Trading Ben for him is crazy. Not to mention we're both fighting for the same playoff spot. We don't want to help them (unless we're tanking for Philly's benefit I guess) and they don't want to help us. I doubt swapping SGs is going to be a great move for either team in that context.
Come on Gerald was a excellent two way player prior to his injury in Charlotte (he's looking good again now) you swap him for Ben straight away without even thinking, his defense and IQ is on another universe compared to Ben or any SG we have had since Reke. Aside from being worse 3 pointer shooter he still spaces the floor being a good mid range shooter post up player and slasher (still an elite athlete) he's WAY better than Ben if Ben reaches Henderson's ceiling than the Kings got a steal in that weak ass draft.

He's in a tough spot cause they got two All Stars basically in the backcourt who space the floor better than he does but Henderson has proven he's a starting SG in the NBA I can't say the same about anyone on the Kings.

(THIS IS ASSUMING WE ARE MAKING A PUSH FOR THE PLAYOFFS)

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Come on Gerald was a excellent two way player prior to his injury in Charlotte (he's looking good again now) you swap him for Ben straight away without even thinking, his defense and IQ is on another universe compared to Ben or any SG we have had since Reke. Aside from being worse 3 pointer shooter he still spaces the floor being a good mid range shooter post up player and slasher (still an elite athlete) he's WAY better than Ben if Ben reaches Henderson's ceiling than the Kings got a steal in that weak ass draft.

He's in a tough spot cause they got two All Stars basically in the backcourt who space the floor better than he does but Henderson has proven he's a starting SG in the NBA I can't say the same about anyone on the Kings.

(THIS IS ASSUMING WE ARE MAKING A PUSH FOR THE PLAYOFFS)
I just don't see it. He's a solid defender but he can't shoot. So we're losing something rather significant in order to improve somewhere else. It's not that I wouldn't mind having Gerald on the team. I'd prefer him to Marco since Omri, Rajon, and DeMarcus have provided enough shooting to make up for Marco's lack of production anyway. But I agree with Iced Espresso that his relative value in a trade is rather low. He's a 28 year old on an expiring contract who may be due for a raise because of his age and the ballooning salary cap while Ben is a 22 year old with one more year left on his bargain basement rookie contract.

A lot of this though is about undervaluing Ben McLemore. As usual people forgot to account for player growth (under 24) and decline (over 28) when evaluating trade targets throughout the off-season. First impressions are hard to shake and Ben's was about as bad as it gets, but he's still just 22. Gerald Henderson was a rookie averaging 2.6 points on 8 minutes per game in his age 22 season. Even after a recemt downturn, Ben's shooting percentages are excellent this year (.451/.372/.732) he's just not getting enough shots (or minutes) to put up the counting stats that attract attention. All of his per36 numbers are respectable for a starting SG right now.

I told people Danny Green wouldn't be worth his contract and he hasn't been. I also said that players like Aaron Afflalo, Monta Ellis, and Wesley Matthews were due for regression and none of them have been worth their inflated contracts either. Simply by improving from bad to average this year Ben has moved up the SG ladder while formerly reliable vets are starting to slide down. I would think long and hard before trading Ben for anybody because he's right at the point in his career where he's really going to become a useful player and we're going to need his production in our SG rotation whether it's in the starting lineup or off the bench.

K

KingMilz

I just don't see it. He's a solid defender but he can't shoot. So we're losing something rather significant in order to improve somewhere else. It's not that I wouldn't mind having Gerald on the team. I'd prefer him to Marco since Omri, Rajon, and DeMarcus have provided enough shooting to make up for Marco's lack of production anyway. But I agree with Iced Espresso that his relative value in a trade is rather low. He's a 28 year old on an expiring contract who may be due for a raise because of his age and the ballooning salary cap while Ben is a 22 year old with one more year left on his bargain basement rookie contract.

A lot of this though is about undervaluing Ben McLemore. As usual people forgot to account for player growth (under 24) and decline (over 28) when evaluating trade targets throughout the off-season. First impressions are hard to shake and Ben's was about as bad as it gets, but he's still just 22. Gerald Henderson was a rookie averaging 2.6 points on 8 minutes per game in his age 22 season. Even after a recemt downturn, Ben's shooting percentages are excellent this year (.451/.372/.732) he's just not getting enough shots (or minutes) to put up the counting stats that attract attention. All of his per36 numbers are respectable for a starting SG right now.

I told people Danny Green wouldn't be worth his contract and he hasn't been. I also said that players like Aaron Afflalo, Monta Ellis, and Wesley Matthews were due for regression and none of them have been worth their inflated contracts either. Simply by improving from bad to average this year Ben has moved up the SG ladder while formerly reliable vets are starting to slide down. I would think long and hard before trading Ben for anybody because he's right at the point in his career where he's really going to become a useful player and we're going to need his production in our SG rotation whether it's in the starting lineup or off the bench.
I agree what you said in this post but I can't agree that Ben 'right now' is the better player which is what I thought you suggested in the post before. Ben has potential but he's so mentally fragile I don't mind trying to develop him but RIGHT NOW Henderson would help more than Ben and he's far tougher mentally/physically and more well rounded.

Last edited by a moderator:
All I know if he's thoroughly outplayed Ben and Marco this year... We have got to have one of the worse SG rotation in the NBA. So yes I'd do that trade if I was the Kings. I would prefer they trade Marco instead of Ben though.