With Rudy on board, who do we get for PF?

Realistically we could knock that out with one move that gives us a legit PF and moves JT to the backup Center for now
Agreed and that might be what PDA works on - we know he has upgrade strategy for sure. For 2015 here's somewhat incomplete list of unrestricted FA big men:

Brook Lopez
Omer Asik
Tyson Chandler
Greg Monroe
Roy Hibbert
Marc Gasol
Robin Lopez
Kosta Koufas
Enes Kanter

Realistically we could knock that out with one move that gives us a legit PF and moves JT to the backup Center for now
Here's a list of trade able PFs who would compliment Cuz very well. Greg Monroe, Taj Gibson, Amir Johnson, Jared Sullinger, Channing Frye, Ersan Ilyasova(healthy) and Ryan Anderson.

Last edited:
Here's a list of trade able PFs who would compliment Cuz very well. Greg Monroe, Taj Gibson, Amir Johnson, Jared Sullinger, Channing Frye, and Ryan Anderson.
Monroe would be absolutely awesome. Would bring back shades of Webb and Vlade in the sense of having two excellent passing big men who can operate out of the high post and the elbow

Agreed and that might be what PDA works on - we know he has upgrade strategy for sure. For 2015 here's somewhat incomplete list of unrestricted FA big men:

Brook Lopez
Omer Asik
Tyson Chandler
Greg Monroe
Roy Hibbert
Marc Gasol
Robin Lopez
Kosta Koufas
Enes Kanter
The only ones that would fit on this team would be Monroe and Kanter.. Maybe Brook Lopez and Gasol. The rest of the guys would terribly force Cuz into guarding PFs. Cuz would foul out of every game in the 1st quarter. I think a lot of people don't realize that JT guards the best big man on the opposing team day in, and day out. JT is very valuable to our team. I don't think we need to replace him because he's about top 10 in terms of defensive PFs. The only thing he can't do is block shots. I think that's really overrated. It would be very difficult to see Hibbert trying to guard Griffin..

Monroe would be absolutely awesome. Would bring back shades of Webb and Vlade in the sense of having two excellent passing big men who can operate out of the high post and the elbow
It would be nice. If Cuz-Monroe could develop chemistry together, we'd probably the best offensive front court in the NBA.. Troubles would steam on defense though..

Needs to be a shot blocker. A defensive anchor who can guard both PFs and Cs. If we could turn back the clock by about 7 years, Sammy Dalembert would be a great fit. Ibaka would be perfect now days but insanely unlikely.

Still think someone like Sanders, Favors, Gibson, would be great for us. I think we could do with someone as dumb as McGee. I think Malone could reign him in and turn him into a productive role player.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Guys, Monroe is all offense. He's really talented, but he can't possibly fit between Cuz and Gay.

Taj could, but he's going nowhere. Amir could, but he's going nowhere. These are important cogs on top teams.

Sullinger is again all offense, terrible defense. Frye is a wuss. Ilyasova is...a mystery.

Anderson is a 6th man/wuss too.

Think bad teams, spare pieces that don't fit.

DEN: they might be regretting that Faried contract, but bet they can Shaw before Faried. They can get more for Mozgov then we can give. Hickson was already here, and failed. Boards, but no defense. McGee is a dummy maybe, but a rim protector/backup center to help our reserve falloff.

UTH: nobody really. They are about youth, have no oldies of note.

MIN: Dieng would be nifty, but I strongly suspect the idea would be to move Pek instead, who does not fit at all. They wnt to a great deal of trouble to land Thaddeus Young, for unknown reasons, doubt they dump him, and he's an Eastern Conference wuss forward anyway. Should be a SF.

LAL: well they are certainly terrible, but unfortunately so bad they kind of need the roleplayers/reserves they have startging. Still, Jordan Hill is very interesting, and Ed Davis could be. But no guarantees of great advances there.

Go East and the problem you get is the Conference stinks so everybody thinks they're in it even if they're not. Nets have nobody we could use (don't see them moving Plumlee with KG so near death). Knicks have nobody we could use. Toronto has Amir, but they aren't giving him up. Boston has Sullinger...as a fat defensive softie. Skilled, but duplicative of Cuz and misplaced here. Bass is highly medicore and no sort of advance for us. Washington is playing too well now to think about Nene, and at his contract you shouldn't anyway. Charlotte has Biyombo getting no time...but that's because he's not very good as it turned out. Philly doesn't even have NBA players up front. Orlando has tweenrs, Vucevic, and Frye (who theoretically could be available if you wanted to go wuss, maybe less so now that they lost Gordon). Miami is locked in. Atlanta has Horford, put a star next to that one. He's not up to snuff so far, he's got a big contract...maybe? Just maybe? He's actually become too much offense in recent years too, but he's a major player at least who would probably remember how to play defense. Milsap is small and offensivbe minded again -- that's not what's needed. Milwaulkee...1) they're competitive and may not be moving much. 2) the more you see of Henson and Ilyasova the more you go eh... Still the Sanders thing, but again they are competing. And Sanders is currently under referee supervision as much as Cuz is. Not to mention any potential chemistry disruption here. Taj isn't leaving Chicago. Cleveland is probably going to stay put given Tristan sharing the agent with Bron, and TT is horribly overrated in places anyway. Inefficient mediocrity. Indiana might be surviving enough not to do anything. Again, in the East the allure of winning 37 and making the playoffs as a #8 seed always lingers. Obviously Hibbert remains interesting, moreso because he's bounced back without Lance stealing his cookies. West/Scola are too old really. And finally there's Detroit, with the Smith/Monroe situation. Neither guy a great fit, Smith scary because he could be a chemistry wrecker with his chucking and anvil contract.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I've actually been considering Ilyasova of late, if we're considering a trade. In free agency I'd have other targets but I'd have to think Ilyasova is somewhat available and he potentially pairs pretty well with Cuz. Good defender, can spread the floor, decent passer, scrappy.

Production has gone down the last two years and he strikes me as a guy who needs a change of scenery. If we could get the Ersan from 2011-13, a guy hitting about 45% from 3, getting 7-9 RPG(in under 30 mins), who was an above average spot up shooter and brought above average defense, I'd go for it. He's not an ideal fit but he's exactly the type who I could see excelling on both ends of the floor next to Rudy and Cuz.

He actually reminds me a little of Robbert Horry. I've been a fan of his since he was overseas though and while I'm not generally a fan of stretch 4's, Ersan really is scrappy and a plus defender.

On 7.9M, all of JT/Landry/DWill are potential foundations for a deal to be centered around. I'm not sure the Bucks want another big though. Would DWill's expiring be attractive to them? Ersan is 100K from being tied as their 2nd highest player and is on the books through 16-17. I don't think they'd want to keep him around at that price as he's not a key piece for them going forward. He also seems the type PDA would go after.

The only ones that would fit on this team would be Monroe and Kanter.. Maybe Brook Lopez and Gasol. The rest of the guys would terribly force Cuz into guarding PFs. Cuz would foul out of every game in the 1st quarter. I think a lot of people don't realize that JT guards the best big man on the opposing team day in, and day out. JT is very valuable to our team. I don't think we need to replace him because he's about top 10 in terms of defensive PFs. The only thing he can't do is block shots. I think that's really overrated. It would be very difficult to see Hibbert trying to guard Griffin..
Agreed RE: JT. He is doing a serviceable job and, unfortunately, his contract is probably untradeable.

Add to that the fact the Boogie had proven more than capable of anchoring an elite defense, and I'm not sure it's smart to invest big money on front court defense, when it seems to me that our bigger problem is a lack of reliable scoring options, especially when it comes to perimeter shooting.

I would like to see Anderson as a 6th man, not only for the hometown connection but because of how badly we need more scoring options, especially in the second unit.

I'd then like to add a big body who can play in the post - if nothing else, to absorb a lot of fouls and keep Boogie in the game (a la Pollard back in the day). If someone like Asik, Lopez, or Hibbert could be gotten for cheap, I would be ecstatic about it.

Obviously my first choice would be Chandler, Ibaka, Noah, or similar, but I would be VERY doubtful we could make that happen without crippling out ability to fix out shooting woes.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would love a trade for Ilyasova if the Kings didn't have to give up anyone of real value.

Whether starting or off the bench, the Kings need a floor spacer at the 4 to let Rudy & Cuz operate.

I've actually been considering Ilyasova of late, if we're considering a trade. In free agency I'd have other targets but I'd have to think Ilyasova is somewhat available and he potentially pairs pretty well with Cuz. Good defender, can spread the floor, decent passer, scrappy.

On 7.9M, all of JT/Landry/DWill are potential foundations for a deal to be centered around. I'm not sure the Bucks want another big though. Would DWill's expiring be attractive to them? Ersan is 100K from being tied as their 2nd highest player and is on the books through 16-17. I don't think they'd want to keep him around at that price as he's not a key piece for them going forward. He also seems the type PDA would go after.
Ersan Ilyasova may turn out to be a good fit. I just don't know how much impact of adding another undersized PF to our platoon of undersized PFs will do for the team. Also, can a career 0.6 blocks per game/36 minutes be of much help to the Kings?

Let us say we got him for the very attractive expiring contract of DWill, then he turns out only to be mediocre, what are we going to do until 2017?

Ouch, if it also happens we got Ersan Ilyasova at the expense of JT.

Kings platoon of midget PF:

Carl Landry: 6' 7.75" without shoes
Ersan Ilyasova: 6' 7.75" without shoes
Reggie Evans: 6' 7.5" without shoes

Last edited:
I think our PF position is fine. JT is capable of doing good work and I don't see him OMFG destroying the Kings any time soon. He's been on the Kings for a long time, and I think he'd want to stay and see where this team is going, especially since it seems like the Kings are just about getting their feces together. He deserves to stay, both personally and professionally.

I would love a trade for Ilyasova if the Kings didn't have to give up anyone of real value.

Whether starting or off the bench, the Kings need a floor spacer at the 4 to let Rudy & Cuz operate.
Agreed. Which is why I don't get the poo-poohing of Anderson (who isn't even a free agent to begin with). The Pelicans actually have it figured out pretty well--platoon a floor spacer (Anderson) and a rim protector (Asik) next to their star big.

I like both Horford and Millsap on the Hawks. They work both offensively and defensively. Neither a big shot blocker, but if you're solid defensively around the horn then you're okay. A Gay, Cousins, and Millsap frontline is a nightmare for other teams.

I like Enas Kanter. I think Malone can teach him into a Boogie Jr defensively and offensively and make for a good backup center. That still leaves a quandry at the 4 spot.

DeAndre is also a FA. He can probably work with Cousins, but I'm not sure about it.

I don't like Hibbert because that leaves Cousins guarding stretch 4s.

Jordan Hill and Ed Davis work, but who knows what LA is doing. Byron Scott and Kobe are in fantasy land. Xavier Henry suddenly can't get playing time. Carlos Boozer is dreaming of the days in which he was relevant.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Kings platoon of midget PF:

Carl Landry: 6' 7.75" without shoes
Ersan Ilyasova: 6' 7.75" without shoes
Regie Evans: 6' 7.5" without shoes
A difference is Landry and Reggie flat out have never been good defenders. At the 4, Ersan back in that 2011-13 period I brought up, was top 15-20 in P&R defense and top 50 in post defense. He has defensive tools and a defensive mind for the game.

I'd love a shotblocker at the 4 next to Cuz but I don't see who's available. I've said a number of times my top FA target would be Asik, and I'd also go after Robin Lopez who is a realistic target but both bring the issue, as well as other actual shotblockers available this summer, of moving Cuz to PF. I still am not sure which way I'd swing on that decision and it'd be dependent upon who we would acquire at the 5.

But if it's Ersan or what we have currently at PF, I'd have to think pretty hard about taking the risk. This wouldn't prevent us from going after a shotblocker this summer either and if we got one, having Ersan off the bench is a good problem to have. I really am an offense over defense guy but at the same time the complete lack of spacing JT provides Cuz, as well as Rudy who likes operating out of the post is hurting this team and if we were to go the stretch 4 route, I'd jump at Ersan before a guy like Ryan Anderson or others who are weenies on the defensive end.

Guys, Monroe is all offense. He's really talented, but he can't possibly fit between Cuz and Gay.

Taj could, but he's going nowhere. Amir could, but he's going nowhere. These are important cogs on top teams.

Sullinger is again all offense, terrible defense. Frye is a wuss. Ilyasova is...a mystery.

Anderson is a 6th man/wuss too.

Think bad teams, spare pieces that don't fit.

DEN: they might be regretting that Faried contract, but bet they can Shaw before Faried. They can get more for Mozgov then we can give. Hickson was already here, and failed. Boards, but no defense. McGee is a dummy maybe, but a rim protector/backup center to help our reserve falloff.

UTH: nobody really. They are about youth, have no oldies of note.

MIN: Dieng would be nifty, but I strongly suspect the idea would be to move Pek instead, who does not fit at all. They wnt to a great deal of trouble to land Thaddeus Young, for unknown reasons, doubt they dump him, and he's an Eastern Conference wuss forward anyway. Should be a SF.

LAL: well they are certainly terrible, but unfortunately so bad they kind of need the roleplayers/reserves they have startging. Still, Jordan Hill is very interesting, and Ed Davis could be. But no guarantees of great advances there.

Go East and the problem you get is the Conference stinks so everybody thinks they're in it even if they're not. Nets have nobody we could use (don't see them moving Plumlee with KG so near death). Knicks have nobody we could use. Toronto has Amir, but they aren't giving him up. Boston has Sullinger...as a fat defensive softie. Skilled, but duplicative of Cuz and misplaced here. Bass is highly medicore and no sort of advance for us. Washington is playing too well now to think about Nene, and at his contract you shouldn't anyway. Charlotte has Biyombo getting no time...but that's because he's not very good as it turned out. Philly doesn't even have NBA players up front. Orlando has tweenrs, Vucevic, and Frye (who theoretically could be available if you wanted to go wuss, maybe less so now that they lost Gordon). Miami is locked in. Atlanta has Horford, put a star next to that one. He's not up to snuff so far, he's got a big contract...maybe? Just maybe? He's actually become too much offense in recent years too, but he's a major player at least who would probably remember how to play defense. Milsap is small and offensivbe minded again -- that's not what's needed. Milwaulkee...1) they're competitive and may not be moving much. 2) the more you see of Henson and Ilyasova the more you go eh... Still the Sanders thing, but again they are competing. And Sanders is currently under referee supervision as much as Cuz is. Not to mention any potential chemistry disruption here. Taj isn't leaving Chicago. Cleveland is probably going to stay put given Tristan sharing the agent with Bron, and TT is horribly overrated in places anyway. Inefficient mediocrity. Indiana might be surviving enough not to do anything. Again, in the East the allure of winning 37 and making the playoffs as a #8 seed always lingers. Obviously Hibbert remains interesting, moreso because he's bounced back without Lance stealing his cookies. West/Scola are too old really. And finally there's Detroit, with the Smith/Monroe situation. Neither guy a great fit, Smith scary because he could be a chemistry wrecker with his chucking and anvil contract.
So our option basically is, no one. ??? No reason why Toronto wouldn't give up Amir Johnson.. his role has been decreased and he's going to be a FA this year. Hibbert is not a fit with the team.. you say others are a liability on defense, Hibbert is a liability on offense. Plus, he'd force Cousins into guarding 4's.. So it means we're stuck with JT? Of course we'll never find a perfect 4 in the entire world, and I don't expect anyone to except OKC.

Give me a healthy Emeka Okafur for a one year veteran minimum rental around Christmas and I'll be happy. He can effectively guard interior power forwards and centers, is a competent shot blocker, and has playoff history with Landry, Michael Malone, and Collison. He can be an excellent defensive anchor as a starter or off the bench, with enough length and athleticism to help out JT with the defensive big duties, and furthermore, can stay out of the way of Cousins in the post.

Horford would be optimal as well, but will not come cheap...