Why Isn't Sasha Playing?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
To be fair, I’m wondering why he’s not playing at all now. Same for Keon Ellis.
Keon is more understandable.

I'm sure part of it is that Brown benched Davion and challenged him to make some improvements that he may be showing in practice.

But more than anything, Keon is on a two-way deal so short of a trade that opens up a roster spot to give him a traditional contract he's limited to 50 games.

HB is the effectively the 5th option (when Huerter starts), but he isn't a good enough defender or rebounder to contribute in that role. Not his fault, but most of his value is his offense. For all the talk about his efficiency, it's essentially been the same for the last 4 years. So it's not like he's become some knock down shooter that stretches the floor.

If this team wants to be a contender, they need to make the best team possible. David Lee was the heart and soul of the warriors at one point, but became an afterthought once they won a ring. He was dumped the next year, but vets didn't hesitate to join the warriors.

HB is the effectively the 5th option (when Huerter starts), but he isn't a good enough defender or rebounder to contribute in that role. Not his fault, but most of his value is his offense. For all the talk about his efficiency, it's essentially been the same for the last 4 years. So it's not like he's become some knock down shooter that stretches the floor.
he is a knock down shooter. 39.9 percent. There are legit criticisms you can have for HB or any player on our squad but shooting is definitely not one of them for Barnes.

he is a knock down shooter. 39.9 percent. There are legit criticisms you can have for HB or any player on our squad but shooting is definitely not one of them for Barnes.
Significantly, HB seems able to contribute on low volume. He has high efficiency, despite not needing to get into a rhythm with a consistent diet of shots.

When I think of Sasha's EuroLeague highlights; the aspect of his game that stands out is his ability to get a shot off when there are no open shots. That's a job for a #1 option on a team, not a roleplayer.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Keon is more understandable.

I'm sure part of it is that Brown benched Davion and challenged him to make some improvements that he may be showing in practice.

But more than anything, Keon is on a two-way deal so short of a trade that opens up a roster spot to give him a traditional contract he's limited to 50 games.
yeah I was a little surprised they sent Keon in during garbage time vs. ATL because it seems clear they are managing his contract. But I don't see how we don't ultimately give him a full contract. I think he's shown to be a guy we'll want on the playoff roster.

yeah I was a little surprised they sent Keon in during garbage time vs. ATL because it seems clear they are managing his contract. But I don't see how we don't ultimately give him a full contract. I think he's shown to be a guy we'll want on the playoff roster.
I would bet that they have already decided to give Ellis a full contract, but are just waiting to see what happens at the dead line

It’s a long season…
For me, this is the answer, plain and simple. It's a long season and every player needs to understand their role and establish a rhythm within it. Just look at what Darvin Ham is doing with the Lakers right now, switching up his rotation nightly in a desperate attempt to find something that works while they're in the midst of their worst stretch of the season. Now Ham's losing the locker room and there's a sense that it could cost him his job if the Lakers don't turn things around in a hurry. You just can't jerk NBA players around like that and expect a winning formula to emerge.

Most good coaches will fiddle with the rotation on the margins, or use injuries as an opportunity to shift things around. So far, this is how Sasha has received minutes, as Mike Brown fiddles on the margins or while a guy like Lyles was unavailable due to injury. But in the NBA, it's kinda rare to see established starters pulled from the lineup for anything but disciplinary reasons or consistently poor play (or the occasional matchup nightmare). It actually says a lot about how far Kevin Huerter has fallen in the eyes of the coaching staff that he's been supplanted by Duarte of late. Defenses have reacted to the Kings' DHO actions and Huerter has less space to work with, and apparently he's not a good enough shooter to stay above average under those conditions.

Harrison Barnes is a more interesting case study, because so often he's just Mr. Invisible out there. But he listens. He doesn't complain about his role. He still hits his outside shots at a strong clip. And every once in awhile, he makes a big boy move to the basket that reminds you he's alive. He's also a seasoned veteran with playoff experience and a leader in the locker room. And Mike Brown seems to value all of those contributions even if they don't have as much impact game in and game out as the average fan may like. Coaches go with the guys they trust and it's almost always to the irritation of fan bases when one or more of those guys underperform. Sasha certainly isn't going to see starter's minutes over a player like Barnes, so it probably means that Lyles needs to hit a serious cold streak or get injured again for there to be any consistent minutes available for Sasha.

That is the only think the ''Sasha fans'' are asking for ... We (I suppose not only I ) just want ot see IF he is really NBA material ... But this just can't happen with 2 minutes there , 2 minutes here and mostly bench polishing ....
Give him 10-15 games with reasonable minute with Fox-Sabonis-Monk-Keegan and if he is not for this unit - froze him ...
But it leaves a bit the impression that he is not even given the chance to proove ...
I know there is training , something we are not watching , but since he got there he was all but only pirized for his attitude in that part of the game ...
He did get that opportunity though. It's only recently, over the last 5 games, that he's had no true role. And again... you just don't get that opportunity to play big minutes as a starter on a good team, especially as a rookie. That's what made Keegan so special last season; the fact he was able to be a starter on a playoff team and be good in that role is incredibly rare.

There's no hidden agenda to "hold back" Sasha. Every coach is just eternally on the clock for their job; they have to keep winning games to keep their job. If Brown thought Sasha would help us win more games right now, he would be playing. But right now, Duarte has the shine and he's produced in 3 of the last 4 games. But he was also out of the rotation for like 15 games and worked his way back in. Keon fought his way into the rotation too. It's the life of competing for an 8th-10th man slot on a good playoff team. If you want to keep playing, you have to keep producing to keep your job. There's no "guaranteed" role, unless you work your way into the core.

Again all you said is true - there is no price without hard work , just can’t agree that is last 5 games …
It last 10/15 games ….
8/10 minutes separated in 3/4 times isn’t any role at all , just someone filling the gap for someone else to rest ….
Anything under 7/8 min in a row at least twice can’t show what someone is capable of ….
All in all I will take Coach’s words (which I totally disagree) that Vezenkov is just not ready to play and wait to see what the future is cooking for him …
Till then Go Kings :)
Trade HB and KH and DM
And wake up Coach :)

Also, what slavic country did you come across that seemed cold?
There was a pretty serious exterior the Bulgarians put on - but warmed up once you started talking to them. Also, Russians do this. For Russians, smiling is considered a sign of weakness, a character flaw. lol. I think they think it's a bit fake.

Both Bulgarians and Russians though are very very sincere people.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
In spite of the horrific and unjustified things our government has done to them, the Serbians do not hold a grudge, generally speaking, against Americans.
Intelligence is knowing that everybody, whether American or foreign, has some sort of beef about something that the U.S. government has done at some point in time.

Wisdom is knowing not to steer the discussion in that direction on a basketball forum.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
There was a pretty serious exterior the Bulgarians put on - but warmed up once you started talking to them. Also, Russians do this. For Russians, smiling is considered a sign of weakness, a character flaw. lol. I think they think it's a bit fake.

Both Bulgarians and Russians though are very very sincere people.
I suppose a dark and troubled past is the reasoning behind the Russians approach to character building, along with their tendencies to drink hard liquor which interferes with brain cells and without getting into too much detail on the matter. Bulgarians I can't speak much about because I don't know their history and whether they went through times of war, genocide or any of the above.

I suppose a dark and troubled past is the reasoning behind the Russians approach to character building, along with their tendencies to drink hard liquor which interferes with brain cells and without getting into too much detail on the matter. Bulgarians I can't speak much about because I don't know their history and whether they went through times of war, genocide or any of the above.
Just 500 years under Turkish slavery which ended 30 years before the First World War and another almost 200 years under Byzantine (1018-1185)….
We are a country with LONG history , established in 681… With huge history of almost anything …

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Just 500 years under Turkish slavery which ended 30 years before the First World War and another almost 200 years under Byzantine (1018-1185)….
We are a country with LONG history , established in 681… With huge history of almost anything …
how do current Bulgarians view their history?

You guys should relax - management have to use "assets for trade" in every game before trade deadline and to raise their value. I strongly believe that Sasha will play after trades will be done...

Significantly, HB seems able to contribute on low volume. He has high efficiency, despite not needing to get into a rhythm with a consistent diet of shots.

When I think of Sasha's EuroLeague highlights; the aspect of his game that stands out is his ability to get a shot off when there are no open shots. That's a job for a #1 option on a team, not a roleplayer.
This is huge for us because we struggle against a team with long-wing defenders. Everyone else needs open looks, except maybe Malik and Fox; who can space themselves from defenders. It is where Sasha could give us breathing room for everyone, but he's been hesitant to take shots that are open by his standard. This limits his biggest advantage and every other aspect of his game is average.

It’s a long season…
Amen

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
The last game he played in he either quickly passed the ball, or he drove the lane. I wonder if he is worried about getting in trouble for shooting while still trying to get his defense up to speed.

It is a long season and its a grind. Someone will get hurt somewhere or a trade will happen and I suspect he'll get to show what he can do without fear of getting yanked for a mistake.

Yeah, he joined a 48 win team, 3 seed in the West with a team that mostly kept it's core intact. And Brown has never operated as a coach to just "give" a guy playing time. You have to earn it. Duarte has shown that with his recent surge, after being out of the rotation for like a month. Keon earned that time after his Rockets game.

Sasha has been good, but he hasn't been good to the point of forcing Brown's hand to automatically give him 20 MPG. We can argue about HB all we want, but he's just not going to bench HB in lieu of Sasha. Where do you play him?

Fox 34 || Davion/Keon 14
Duarte 20 || Monk 28
Keegan 32 || Huerter 16
HB 24 || Lyles 16 || Sasha 8?
Domas 34 || Len 14

And this is being generous with Fox/Domas/Keegan minutes. Most competitive games, they're going to be closer to 36+. Right now, Duarte is showing a ton as a defensive role player too; so 20 minutes is probably extremely light for him as well.

People can want Sasha to play, (I do too), but a trade has to happen to open up that time. Or he has to overtake Duarte, basically, to get back into the rotation.
And yet that's exactly what Brown should do: give all HB's minutes to Lyes and Sasha.

There's always a possibility the team sees sitting on the bench as more beneficial. As opposed to getting tossed into games where he may not be ready yet. Think how limited a role Keegan had last year compared to this year. Granted Sasha is 28 and a vet, but we have him locked up for 3 years. If his role is to be HB's heir apparent he doesn't necessarily need to be getting 5 minutes a game to prepare for that and learn. Lots of development can be going on outside of games

DNPs got to the end , unfortunately because of an injury ...
But i have to say that i was expecting a littbe bit more , after the great start he set for himself in the first 2/3 possesions ...
Kind of get stucked in the motion of the game and mage stupid calls ... Did not take some good looks , missed a couple of others ...
Looks a bit out of self-confidence ... Hope he will proove me wrong ...
Good to see from the game though is the connection with Domas ... We can use this more in the season ... Those tow seems to play
good together ...