Who Should We Sign? (2023 Off-Season)

Assuming they would agree to sign here, which SF/PF would be your top choice in free agency?

• Cam Johnson

• Dillon Brooks

• Grant Williams

• Jae Crowder

• Jalen McDaniels

• Jerami Grant

• Josh Hart

• Kyle Kuzma

• PJ Washington

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I wish we had an answer on Queta. Maybe by me asking that we already do but I like his potential. He is huge, protects the rim and can pass. After 3 years of college and 2 development years the time to show us what you got is this summer and next season
yeah, I was thinking if we really can swing Sasha as back up 4/3, and also keep Lyles as the backup center, you still need a big body in case of emergency. I wouldn’t want to spend more than the minimum, though, and maybe Queta is already the answer—if he’s ready. Although, hasn’t rebounding been a concern for him, too?

Anyone like Christian Wood? I read he doesn't want to go back to Dallas next season. Not the greatest defender, but maybe with a change of scenery he could fix that like Wiggins did. He shoots 38% from 3, a decent weakside shot blocker at 1.5 per 36, and a good 10 rebounds per 36.

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Jaxson Hayes!

Ultra athletic, 7', long arms and explosive, throws down ridiculous dunks and flys around on defense and protects the rim. A great buy low candidate for Coach Brown to help fine tune. He needs a new spot to start over, a high paced uptempo suits him. He's a guy if he's really engaged on the boards, it could pay huge dividends. He's also just able to get his hands on boards in the upper atmosphere, can highpoint and tip rebounds that most players could only dream of reaching.

He'd provide us with a VERY different look. Turns 23 in a few weeks, could we nab him super cheap on a 2 or 3 year deal and get outselves a great bargain in year 2 or 3 sorta like what we did with Malik Monk?

Pound-for-Pound he's easily gotta be one of the best athletes per dollar on the market, cuz it sure seems he'll be cheap.

Major space eater, covers incredible amounts of ground very quickly, including recovering out to the perimeter to block 3's.

Obviously he had some off the court issues, maybe we catch him in a maturing / growth phase. Worth investigating he'd add a very different look here.
Yep. He's a guy I was hot on last year. It would seem like McNair could get him on the cheap so he'd be relatively low risk from that perspective, and he certainly has a ton of upside. If I'm just thinking abstractly of what the Kings' need and who in the NBA could provide it, Hayes is the guy I come up with.

Anyone like Christian Wood? I read he doesn't want to go back to Dallas next season. Not the greatest defender, but maybe with a change of scenery he could fix that like Wiggins did. He shoots 38% from 3, a decent weakside shot blocker at 1.5 per 36, and a good 10 rebounds per 36.
I think Lyles is better. Wood suffers from the Bagley syndrome (but actually good on offense) but there's nowhere for him to guard on defense. He needs to be a 5 on D, but doesn't have the rim protection ability. And doesn't have ability to defend the perimeter.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
The problem I have with all of these names people keep bringing up for this summer is that none of them are stars and signing them will take us out of the running for anyone in the much better 2024 class. This may be our year to remain low-key -- sign Vezenkov if we can, re-sign Lyles and Queta then just patiently wait a year while our young guys continue to develop.

Something else to consider about the 2024 FA class is that some of those guys might be available at the trade deadline for teams that see the writing on the wall and don't want to lose a big asset for nothing. We'll conveniently have a big chunk of expiring salary in Richaun Holmes that we can package to try and nab one of them. In my perfect world Jaylen Brown's relationship with Boston continues to sour over the summer and we step in with an offer of Kevin Huerter, Holmes' expiring, and future picks to add another All-Star then Vivek allows us to go over the cap to re-sign Jaylen, Domas, and Malik. But even in a less perfect world, OG and Pascal wanting out of Toronto seems likely and guys like Isaiah Stewart in Detroit or Patrick Williams in Chicago might be better fits for us anyway than Kuzma, Wood, Grant, or Washington.

What do u guys think about zach collins?
Oh yeah, he's on the list. Dream scenario is we're able to swap Homes+37+a future 2nd for Collins, but not sure that's enough capital for the Spurs to take on Holmes. But if they were planning on letting him go this summer anyway, why not get a few picks and playable C in return?

My initial read on Collins was he was a 4/5 flex as a prospect. Not sure he still has that mobility after the injuries, but he's been excellent when healthy at the C. Gives you some of that same great passing that Sabonis does, spacing from the 5 (37% on 2.3 attempts) is a good-not great rebounder and very very efficient scorer in limited opportunities.

Monte didn't empty the clip this deadline with all the 2nds we have, but Collins would be an excellent use of packaging 2 or 3 to go shore up the back-up C slot with a young guy who was finally able to stay healthy and show why he was a lotto pick.

Last edited:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Josh Hart is another player I'd like to see Monte pursue, he can't space the floor but he is a bulldog, strong rebounder and puts it all out there on defense. Kings fans would love him instantly.

Dillon Brooks would be a nice pick up at the right price (TPMLE or less)... IF, the FO is able to land Cam Johnson. Brooks is miscast in his role as a starter at Memphis, but he would be very handy as the 2nd SF on this roster. Also, he will not be required to shoot as much with Fox, Monk/Huerter, Murray and Cam... so he can focus on what he does best, defend and pester the opponent SG or SF.

My current list of wants.

Bird Rights
Kessler Edwards (team option) - yes
Harrison Barnes - maybe
Terence Davis - yes if cheap enough
Tre Lyles - 1000% yes
Alex Len - probably not

Signing Rights
Vezenkov - yes

UFA - one of these 3, in order.
Naz Reid
Josh Hart
Jae Crowder

RFA - doubt it on all of them
Cameron Johnson
PJ Washington
Grant Williams

UNKNOWN
3rd string PG after Delly becomes a coach.

Trade involving draft picks (draft night), maybe S&T with a current UFA???

Dillon Brooks would be a nice pick up at the right price (TPMLE or less)... IF, the FO is able to land Cam Johnson. Brooks is miscast in his role as a starter at Memphis, but he would be very handy as the 2nd SF on this roster. Also, he will not be required to shoot as much with Fox, Monk/Huerter, Murray and Cam... so he can focus on what he does best, defend and pester the opponent SG or SF.
he’s basically said he doesn’t want that role.

My current list of wants.

Bird Rights
Kessler Edwards (team option) - yes
Harrison Barnes - maybe
Terence Davis - yes if cheap enough
Tre Lyles - 1000% yes
Alex Len - probably not

Signing Rights
Vezenkov - yes

UFA - one of these 3, in order.
Naz Reid
Josh Hart
Jae Crowder

RFA - doubt it on all of them
Cameron Johnson
PJ Washington
Grant Williams

UNKNOWN
3rd string PG after Delly becomes a coach.

Trade involving draft picks (draft night), maybe S&T with a current UFA???
Jae Crowder is dust at this point. Replace him with Okogie and this basically lines up with my thinking this summer

Jae Crowder is dust at this point. Replace him with Okogie and this basically lines up with my thinking this summer
Agreed with you about Crowder... but Josh Okogie is too small at SF, especially more so considering that Sabonis is undersized as a C. I'd pass on Josh Hart for the same reason, unless he will play SG.

Last edited:
Josh Hart is another player I'd like to see Monte pursue, he can't space the floor but he is a bulldog, strong rebounder and puts it all out there on defense. Kings fans would love him instantly.
I am all for Josh Hart too, but the price might be too steep, he is certainly a player the Knicks will look to retain.

Anyone see Vanderbilt on Lakers play Steph on D? Wish we could have gotten him
Oh my goodness... This x1000

I wish we got Jarred Vanderbilt too, n I sure bet you De'Aaron does too, thats one of his friends.. He'd have made all the difference in that series vs the Warriors, that 3rd quarter where they dogged us on the boards.. Now we have to wait 2 summers to bid for his services....

I like Christian Wood. I think he'd actually perform excellently on our Kings team, lotta questions though; whats the price? whats the years? what are his expectations? I think money would ultimatley be an issue. But there's no doubt in my mind he'd look good here he's got a 7'3" wingspan and he's a space eater and mobile can hit open 3's and he gets hot so he'd be another on our long list of potential hot hands..

I am starting to like the idea of Hamidou Diallo. He has become a really good defender. He could be the lock down wing defender that we have been looking for. Kessler Edwards is good but he has limited offensive skill set. Diallo, on the other hand, is an incredible finisher in transition. He is also an excellent slasher in half court. Not to mention he has a mid range pullup jumper.

He is likely affordable for us and he must be friends with Fox and Monk. They were all at Kentucky at the same semester. Why not another Kentucky bro?

Oh my goodness... This x1000

I wish we got Jarred Vanderbilt too, n I sure bet you De'Aaron does too, thats one of his friends.. He'd have made all the difference in that series vs the Warriors, that 3rd quarter where they dogged us on the boards.. Now we have to wait 2 summers to bid for his services....
Yeah, Vando would have been an awesome pick up. The Kings would have beat GSW for sure, and the Lakers next too.

Well, there is an alternative though... Herbert Jones, who might fit this roster even more than Vanderbilt. The Pels have a player option on him this summer but he is a free agent after that. I do not know if the Kings FO can convince the Pels FO to make a trade this summer itself, or what that trade would look like (Terence Davis + future 1st?)... but this closing 5 would be wonderful in the playoffs.

Fox, Herbert, Murray, Cam, Sabonis

Depth: Davion, Huerter and/or Monk, Brooks, Lyles, Sims/Edey.

I feel Herbert's length and defense at SG can help to reduce or cover any flaws of Murray, Cam and Sabonis have on perimeter defense or rebounding. He could also be used at SF, with one of Monk/Huerter at SG and one of Cam/Murray at PF. I am probably sounding like a stuck record cause I have posted about Herbert quite a few times before... it's just that this seems like a perfect signing to me (along with Cam), because there is so much synergy to be had there.

Last edited:
Yeah, Vando would have been an awesome pick up. The Kings would have beat GSW for sure, and the Lakers next too.

Well, there is an alternative though... Herbert Jones, who might fit this roster even more than Vanderbilt. The Pels have a player option on him this summer but he is a free agent after that. I do not know if the Kings FO can convince the Pels FO to make a trade this summer itself, or what that trade would look like (Terence Davis + future 1st?)... but this closing 5 would be wonderful in the playoffs.

Fox, Herbert, Murray, Cam, Sabonis

Depth: Davion, Huerter and/or Monk, Brooks, Lyles, Sims/Edey.

I feel Herbert's length and defense at SG can help to reduce or cover any flaws of Murray, Cam and Sabonis have on perimeter defense or rebounding. He could also be used at SF, with one of Monk/Huerter at SG and one of Cam/Murray at PF. I am probably sounding like a stuck record cause I have posted about Herbert quite a few times before... it's just that this seems like a perfect signing to me (along with Cam), because there is so much synergy to be had there.
Disagree that Herb Jones would fit here better than Vanderbilt.. It's about the rebounding... Herbert Jones is a 4 boards in 30 minutes guy, Vanderbilt is double that, Vando is a certified ball-hawk and he's got a 7'2 wingspan which would look nice around here.

Lakers got such a boost from the Jazz in that trade. highway robbery.

I believe LeBron has described Vanderbilt as the Lakers Dennis Rodman.

I am starting to like the idea of Hamidou Diallo. He has become a really good defender. He could be the lock down wing defender that we have been looking for. Kessler Edwards is good but he has limited offensive skill set. Diallo, on the other hand, is an incredible finisher in transition. He is also an excellent slasher in half court. Not to mention he has a mid range pullup jumper.

He is likely affordable for us and he must be friends with Fox and Monk. They were all at Kentucky at the same semester. Why not another Kentucky bro?
Yep, likely affordable. The question is him vs Terence Davis and Davis IMO has a really strong case as he's obviously a better 3pt shooter, more of a potential hothand, and also Coach Brown must trust him quite a bit to ride with him in game 6 and 7 like that.

Diallo though can guard more effectively especially SF's. He sure is incredible in transition, covers a lot of ground. The price could be right too. He's also able to really get some insane blocks for a player his size, extremely explosive. Still a bit of a liability from the FT line though, hasnt gotten that right yet.

and yeah very familiar with Fox and Monk of course, they were teammates.

Last edited:
Yep, likely affordable. The question is him vs Terence Davis and Davis IMO has a really strong case as he's obviously a better 3pt shooter, more of a potential hothand, and also Coach Brown must trust him quite a bit to ride with him in game 6 and 7 like that.

Diallo though can guard more effectively especially SF's. He sure is incredible in transition, covers a lot of ground. The price could be right too. He's also able to really get some insane blocks for a player his size, extremely explosive. Still a bit of a liability from the FT line though, hasnt gotten that right yet.

and yeah very familiar with Fox and Monk of course, they were teammates.
I feel like Davis is gone. He has too many mental lapses to be a consistent rotation player for a playoff team; you know the fouling, missed defensive rotations and questionable shot decision. Davis played in game 6 and 7 I think more of a desperation move than a trust thing.

If we can replace Davis and Metu with Hamidou Diallo and Keita-Bates Diop, we would have decent defensively versatility to cover up for Domas' weakness.

Disagree that Herb Jones would fit here better than Vanderbilt.. It's about the rebounding... Herbert Jones is a 4 boards in 30 minutes guy, Vanderbilt is double that, Vando is a certified ball-hawk and he's got a 7'2 wingspan which would look nice around here.

Lakers got such a boost from the Jazz in that trade. highway robbery.

I believe LeBron has described Vanderbilt as the Lakers Dennis Rodman.
Well, you are right about their individual rebounding numbers... but I'm also taking into account the position each plays in and who they could play alongside.

- If Vando + Murray are the forwards, then you will have Monk/Huerter at SG.
- If Herbert is at SG, then you will have Murray + another Forward next to him (hopefully, Cam Johnson).

So which group's rebounding ability will be better?

1) Fox + Huerter/Monk + Murray + Vando + Sabonis.
or
2) Fox + Herbert + Murray + Cam + Sabonis.

I think it would be the latter.

Saw something about Grant Williams looking for 20 a year. I would like to change my vote please, haha.
On the flip side, 20mil/season probably gets the Celtics to walk away from him and not match a RFA offer.

something to think about. It's too expensive, but not by much. 4/60 is probably about right for Grant. If you have to pay 4/80 to secure him and get another young asset to grow with this core? Probably ok to do.

Last edited: