What an abysmal offseason.

Only good team with tons of cap space. We trade out first rounder, re-sign an aging vet who disappeared in the playoffs, and make no roster moves that fix our main concerns. We are running it back with a team that is really good but needed to make a splash in order to truly be a contender. Sasha is great and all but we don’t even know if that experiment will work out. We basically back to square one. What a disappointment. Full Kangz mode.
Now with the NICE Sabonis extension, not only could I not disagree more with you on your original post, your original post couldn't have aged any more poorly.
People these days want immediate gratification. Monte isn't GM of the year for nothing. Dude is a financial WIZARD and is building a team the right way. Mic dropped.

I dont hate our offseason, to me the unloading Holmes move makes sense in all scenarios --- these people who are crying about that trade never speak about how we could've unloaded him somwhere else, they dont know the market, its very likely we had limited option and limited time.

I'd have MUCH preferred we made a big trade for Brad Beal.. honestly.. You cant ever convince me that what we have now is actually a stronger on court product than if we traded for Beal and filled in what we could..

What makes me nervous about this offseason is quite simply this, and I know pretty much everyone else on this forum whos nervous about this offseason is thinking the same thing ---

Are we over here paying more to tread water, while other teams are improving by leaps and bounds? Teams like Houston we're gonna play them n theyre gonna be SO noticeably better than last season.. Our division rivals the Suns.. OKC is vastly improved, The Mavs are much improved. The west is noticably tougher, Wembanyama landing out west isnt good for the Kings either.

Did we have an up year when everyone was tanking for Wemby , and now when their trying we'll be kicked back down to a more middling squad? Guess we'll find out

Hopefully Fox will show up in the best shape of his life and have an even better season and he'll just carry the squad.. Thats what I want to see, dont think I'm being negative just to be negative.

What makes me nervous about this offseason is quite simply this, and I know pretty much everyone else on this forum whos nervous about this offseason is thinking the same thing ---

Are we over here paying more to tread water, while other teams are improving by leaps and bounds? Teams like Houston we're gonna play them n theyre gonna be SO noticeably better than last season.. Our division rivals the Suns.. OKC is vastly improved, The Mavs are much improved. The west is noticably tougher, Wembanyama landing out west isnt good for the Kings either.

Did we have an up year when everyone was tanking for Wemby , and now when their trying we'll be kicked back down to a more middling squad? Guess we'll find out
My one single question to anyone unhappy with this offseason so far (and keep in mind we have about 8M left in cap room) is simply this... what would you have done differently?

And we did improve... Sasha and Duarte are improvements.

I also contend that we were not in the market for a big name wing... because we have a big name wing named Keegan Murray and with a teency weency more patience, everyone will realize we have a borderline all star on our team at that position.

So, not in a rhetorical way, if you're unhappy, what would you have done?

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
(for all the kvetching about wings, it’s still the classic combo of star big + star guard that leads to championships)
Now the question is how much can they carry because they might have to again. Monte even if not by full choice is basically all in on a 48 win team. Next year, they rise or they don't. If they don't, this likely gets hard. Not too hard though because as of yet no real bad contracts are the result. Depending on how the rotation shakes out that could change on a dime though. The bubble guys that could end up as up or down the food chain are Huerter, Davion, Lyles, Sasha, Murray, or Barnes IMO. Someone in that group could be out of the picture at some point relative to expectation.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I don't know why y'all are forgetting PJ Dozier on your roster breakdowns because his deal is on track to be guaranteed on the 10th unless Monte cuts him before then. 6'6" wing/guard already in the system. For all intents and purposes, that's probably your third PG/small wing defender guy right there.

PJ started showing his passing skills near the end of the season. One more year removed from his injury - he could be a really nice depth piece for the Kings. I’m on board with him taking the 3rd point guard spot.

Hopefully Fox will show up in the best shape of his life and have an even better season and he'll just carry the squad.. Thats what I want to see, dont think I'm being negative just to be negative.
Sounds awfully a lot like a “treadmill” thread to me.

One thing that doesn’t get mentioned enough is team chemistry. These dudes fought for each other last year. And it appears they are hanging out a bunch this summer. I think their read/react offense and defensive rotations will be on another level from last season right out the gate.

I say as someone who wanted a versatile front court defender this off-season: Monte just opened up a legit 5-year contender window for the franchise. At some point - he’ll be able to grab that missing piece.

I don't know why y'all are forgetting PJ Dozier on your roster breakdowns because his deal is on track to be guaranteed on the 10th unless Monte cuts him before then. 6'6" wing/guard already in the system. For all intents and purposes, that's probably your third PG/small wing defender guy right there.
oh. Duh. Perfect. There's your "15th" man that probably competes with the Kessler/Duarte/Jones tier to make a play for that 10th slot. So we're probably done then, unless we Queta walk.

Fox || Davion || Dozier
Huerter || Monk || Jones
Keegan || Edwards || Duarte
HB || Vezenkov
Sabonis || Lyles || Queta || Len

Two Way: Ellis, Slawson, ???

I do hope we make a run at Torrey Craig though. Perfect hard-nosed defender that goes to the PJ Tucker school. Very much feels like a Brown guy.

I'm actually not against owners trying to make/save money. I'm also not against the idea of largely running it back with last year's group. Continuity is important and helpful, and in trying to short circuit the development process, we might disturb the team chemistry. A large bad contract can also set the team back. So, I don't have many problems with the moves themselves.

I do believe though, that "selling" Holmes' contract by bribing the Mavs with our FRP was a cheap move. Yes he didn't have much value (or perhaps -ve value, which is why we had to pay Mavs). I believe that that would have changed next year (or even at the deadline this year, if he got a chance to play). We didn't gain anything other than space, which we still have to use. Bringing back Barnes and Lyles could have been done without trading away Holmes. So, the only gain is Vivek's.

Perhaps Monte can still use it to orchestrate something, or use the TPE during the season as some folks have suggested. Perhaps he extends Domas. Don't understand CBA enough, but from some accounts, cap space was a requirement to do so. Maybe these end up being better value than FRP, or whatever Holmes could have netted next year. Where we are right now, it seems like a cheap move.

As to the highlighted part of your post above, I'm not saying we should hand out bloated contracts. All I'm saying is that the moves we made, we could have made without trading Holmes. We would have still remained below the LT. So Vivek is the only beneficiary from that move. That's pretty much the only point I'm making. Viewed from that reference, it is exactly like selling our FRP for cash.
That’s a fair take…. I do also feel like there is an emotional impact of making the Holmes trade on draft night as we are making our pick. We all get invested is hoping certain players drop to us in the draft, there is an excitement on draft night and a crescendo of adrenaline that builds as we make our pick. If that trade happens a month before the draft and nobody has expectations going into the event, I think some of the frustration over trading the pick goes away (not necessarily to you, but in general). Time will certainly tell if someone picked between 24 and our drafting of Colby Jones ends up giving us regret down the road.

I'm actually not against owners trying to make/save money. I'm also not against the idea of largely running it back with last year's group. Continuity is important and helpful, and in trying to short circuit the development process, we might disturb the team chemistry. A large bad contract can also set the team back. So, I don't have many problems with the moves themselves.

I do believe though, that "selling" Holmes' contract by bribing the Mavs with our FRP was a cheap move. Yes he didn't have much value (or perhaps -ve value, which is why we had to pay Mavs). I believe that that would have changed next year (or even at the deadline this year, if he got a chance to play). We didn't gain anything other than space, which we still have to use. Bringing back Barnes and Lyles could have been done without trading away Holmes. So, the only gain is Vivek's.

Perhaps Monte can still use it to orchestrate something, or use the TPE during the season as some folks have suggested. Perhaps he extends Domas. Don't understand CBA enough, but from some accounts, cap space was a requirement to do so. Maybe these end up being better value than FRP, or whatever Holmes could have netted next year. Where we are right now, it seems like a cheap move.

As to the highlighted part of your post above, I'm not saying we should hand out bloated contracts. All I'm saying is that the moves we made, we could have made without trading Holmes. We would have still remained below the LT. So Vivek is the only beneficiary from that move. That's pretty much the only point I'm making. Viewed from that reference, it is exactly like selling our FRP for cash.
Why the hell you want to keep Holmes, he's pathetic? I seen enough of him on the court to know he's pathetic. His pick n roll defend is atrocious leaving guy free lane to the hoop because he's either too slow or just not smart enough to recognize the situation. His lazy half effort on the court when giving playing time isn't doing much for the team. His contract is big and it is taking up a wasted spot on the team roster. What they done is great to free up the cap and re-sign their players. You think that even without that cap, they still can sign Barnes and all those players? Nah...you don't know what you're talking about....they could have lost Harrison Barnes if they didn't get the cap space and they might not be able to extend Sabonis contract.

My one single question to anyone unhappy with this offseason so far (and keep in mind we have about 8M left in cap room) is simply this... what would you have done differently?

And we did improve... Sasha and Duarte are improvements.

I also contend that we were not in the market for a big name wing... because we have a big name wing named Keegan Murray and with a teency weency more patience, everyone will realize we have a borderline all star on our team at that position.

So, not in a rhetorical way, if you're unhappy, what would you have done?
Sasha and Duarte are improvements where? At the 4 spot and two spot.

guys we have that should be playing the 4:
Barnes, Murray, Lyles, Vezenkov.

guys that will share the back Court with Fox:
Huerter, Monk, Jones, Duarte

guys we added as long 3 and D wings:
Slawson.

we all came into the off season saying we needed to improve the 2-3 wing defense and shot blocking at the rim. Tell me how adding Duarte and Vezenkov does either of those things?

Sounds awfully a lot like a “treadmill” thread to me.

One thing that doesn’t get mentioned enough is team chemistry. These dudes fought for each other last year. And it appears they are hanging out a bunch this summer. I think their read/react offense and defensive rotations will be on another level from last season right out the gate.

I say as someone who wanted a versatile front court defender this off-season: Monte just opened up a legit 5-year contender window for the franchise. At some point - he’ll be able to grab that missing piece.
with what cap space? The window he just closed with the Domas extension. Long wings are the hardest position to get in free agency as we just saw from the expensive contracts they all got.

to be a top 3 and D wing requires
Top lateral quickness:
Not Barnes, Keegan, Lyles or Vezenkov

Top end end length of 7’ or more wingspan
Not Duarte or Jones

the ability to hit a three over 36%
not Kessler currently.

all three of those are rare which is why the low end contract is a Brooks at 4 and 80…. Everyone claiming we didn’t sign a bad contract seem to be missing that when every 3 and D wing goes for 25 - 30M a year that is what they cost because scarcity drives demand.

Last edited:
Brooks signed in Houston. This team is treading water while everyone else is getting better
Why do you want Brooks? The guy is pathetic. He's taking a tons of shots like he's a superstar and keep bricking it. He destroys any team momentum on the court...that's why i was LMAO when the Grizzlies play the Warriors during the Playoffs and getting run over because of this fool. They have better shooters on the floor and yet they're giving green light to this fool to take the shot every chance he get. Don't believe me, look at his career stats:
1688311900805.png

Im fine with it all. Kinda lackluster but I didnt/dont have a wish list. Not sure what I was hoping for. I think they can be better this year. Hopefully hueter can learn to play through pressure. Hope to see Keegan turn into the dynamic scorer people are taking about. I dont watch much college ball, so didn't see it there. Glad we didn't do any dumb deals for aging stars or overpay someone.

Why do you want Brooks? The guy is pathetic. He's taking a tons of shots like he's a superstar and keep bricking it. He destroys any team momentum on the court...that's why i was LMAO when the Grizzlies play the Warriors during the Playoffs and getting run over because of this fool. They have better shooters on the floor and yet they're giving green light to this fool to take the shot every chance he get. Don't believe me, look at his career stats:
View attachment 12023
he wasn’t my first choice for the 3 and D wing we don’t have. But he was 2nd team all defense and is better than a late second round pick.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
yep why he didn’t get 25-30M and why he was not my first, second or third choice……
20 million dollars a season is already considered a vast overpay. The fact your fired front office guy friend thought he'd get 25-30 million dollars doesn't change that. There is absolutely no world in which Dillion Brooks makes 30 million dollars a year, even with an okay wingspan and 100% less baggage.