We need to trade Cousins, but have to wait for his value to improve...

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I am not agreeing on trading Cousins or Evans. I still believe these two will be superstars someday and they will bring back glory to this team.

But let us not shoot down those who want it, as if they don't have an iota of a valid point.

Remember, we got Webber via trade.
We got Webber for relatively nothing (the Rock's production fell off a cliff) because two other teams gave up on a top five talent too early. Sound familiar?

This guy has to be joking. Cousins the last 3 games weren't even close to him being in top form and he put up 20 and 13. I don't even know where you would begin to go look for equal value back for him or if its even possible to come up with an even remotely realistic trade idea where we wouldn't get fleeced

This guy has to be joking. Cousins the last 3 games weren't even close to him being in top form and he put up 20 and 13. I don't even know where you would begin to go look for equal value back for him or if its even possible to come up with an even remotely realistic trade idea where we wouldn't get fleeced
Did you even read my original post? This has absolutely nothing to do with his basketball talent. As the great O.J. Mayo once said.. "He's got Mental Issues". :)

Did you even read my original post? This has absolutely nothing to do with his basketball talent. As the great O.J. Mayo once said.. "He's got Mental Issues". :)

Cousins is a big child who can't control his emotions. That's the extent of it. He will always have a mean streak, but he will grow up one day. And when that happens, he is someone you definitely want on your side. He's pretty harmless. He's not getting the right coaching here and his maturation has been slower than it should have been as a result. But trading him would be absolutely idiotic, the extent to which we haven't seen in this franchise's history. And you just proposed we do it.

think of what damage he could do under popovich, adelman or phil jackson?

same for reke. both of them have special talent. just need to harness it the right way

Well, Philly seems to be a preferred trading partner, and they are looking for a starting center... Bynum is an expiring... bundle a few players and do a salary dump? The Maloofs are probably thinking about it!!!

Am I reading this correctly..there's no way that I'd trade either Demarcus or Tyreke.

think of what damage he could do under popovich, adelman or phil jackson?

same for reke. both of them have special talent. just need to harness it the right way
Exactly! If we had a real coach, we wouldn't be in this mess.

His value is at an all-time low right now, but nothing we can do about it at the moment. Have to hold him at this point, wait for things to blow over eventually.

Well, Philly seems to be a preferred trading partner, and they are looking for a starting center... Bynum is an expiring... bundle a few players and do a salary dump? The Maloofs are probably thinking about it!!!
I see where youre going with this and it might make sense...if youre NOT the Sacramento Kings. The only way this team gets better is via the draft and via trades. The Kings arent buying big name free agents anytime soon, no matter how much capspace they have to work with. Let time fix whatever issues Cousins has. Hes going to be a consistently dominant player and everyone knows it.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
What we need to trade for is one or more strong steady vets to surround him with. Preferably non-nonsense type.

Right now I imagine a team to be Reke, JT, Hayes, Cisco, strong near star vet, solid starting vet, another vet, another vet, Cousins. possibly an IT tagged on. Point being, I want our steadiest personalities/vets/guys with fewest issues, I want to add to them with vets coming in who are similar, or at least highly successful/success driven and then I want to drop Cousins into a lockerroom where there are no other issues. Where everybody else is steady, and anything he does will jump out to him as much as anybody else. I don't dislike all our guys, but this is just the best shot you would have at controlling this. Surround DeMarcus with steady guys, guys who know how to win and aren't all trying to prove their own thing, and let it bleed over.

What we need to trade for is one or more strong steady vets to surround him with. Preferably non-nonsense type.

Right now I imagine a team to be Reke, JT, Hayes, Cisco, strong near star vet, solid starting vet, another vet, another vet, Cousins. possibly an IT tagged on. Point being, I want our steadiest personalities/vets/guys with fewest issues, I want to add to them with vets coming in who are similar, or at least highly successful/success driven and then I want to drop Cousins into a lockerroom where there are no other issues. Where everybody else is steady, and anything he does will jump out to him as much as anybody else. I don't dislike all our guys, but this is just the best shot you would have at controlling this. Surround DeMarcus with steady guys, guys who know how to win and aren't all trying to prove their own thing, and let it bleed over.

I am trying to think of why another team would trade a vet that knows how to win for one of our bench players that are barely able to stay in this league. I am even less confident that any established vet with a good head on his shoulders would willingly come into this mess.

If you want an established vet with a good head on his shoulders you will need to entice other teams with one of the young guys with "unrealized potential."

what would it take to get rondo???

rivers(can we trade for him? lol), pierce and kg would whoop dmc into shape and into their new franchise player

dmc+thornton for rondo

would we do it? would they do it? can it be tweaked to make it work? would tyreke + rondo work? maybe tyreke at sf again? sorry for all the questions but i just wanna blow this *(#( up!

rondo
?
Tyreke
Thompson
Robinson

not to mention rondo would be able to max trobs potential. and you have jimmer and IT off the bench, who seem to actually have great chemistry and play well when theyre on the floor together. and youd have salmons at sf off the bench and chuck hayes at back up center and ? and backup pf

It’s not ideal, but I think the Kings are headed to another rebuild. Stacking up the most pieces:

Kings get:
Toronto’s pick (only top 3 protected)
Lamb
Zeller
Perry Jones

Thunder get:
Verajao
Caspi

Cavs get:
Cousins
Perkins

We don’t need another shooting guard, but its asset collection at the point and I think the Kings are trading Evans this summer in a sign and trade. The Cavs and Thunder might do some version of this trade. Taking Perkins and Cousins not ideal for them, but Perkins mentors Cousins for two years and then they trade Perkins as an expiring contract in year three. Also, this trade makes the Thunder a huge favorite to win the title.

Bricklayer

The celtics are apparently admirers of JT and Tyreke.

but i honestly don't see any package that seems realistic.
gee, I wonder why they would be admirers of Reke and JT? We try to trade them every week around here.

I am admirers of the top couple of most stable players on a lot of franchises too. Difference is I know that those guys are exactly the players those franchises are never going to trade me, becuase those franchises like to win and are not idiots.

Bricklayer

If you want an established vet with a good head on his shoulders you will need to entice other teams with one of the young guys with "unrealized potential."
no, exactly. I'm down to only 3 names on my not trading list (Cousins, Reke, JT). The idea is to rebuild around them, so anybody aroudn the league still intrigued or excited about Thornton, Robinson, Jimmer, IT, or whoever, and there are probably a few teams with interest in each, needs to contact me. This hasn't worked. I'm not going to just dump guys, but I would be looking for youth for stability swaps at this point. I'm sure we are fielding calls everyday from people looking to pluck young players of interest out of our seething mess.

As an aside, Hayes and Cisco, while potnetially having a little value in trade, retain some for me as well since I want more level headed vets, not fewer. I'm looking for a critical mass of veteran behavior here. Reke's a good kid, and seemed to be getting it on the court. JT is a steady guy heading toward steady vethood himself, and also critical as Cousins insurance. They can work smoothly with a steady vet team. But I'd do what it took otherwise to make Boogie the lone point of lockerroom shear. He's the guy with the talent to make us winners, so I am suggesting building absolutley as steady and stable a tower as you can below him. Eliminating as much immaturiyt and selfishness elsewhere as possible so that Cousins, and we, only have to worry about him. This would have been the ideal sitation for him to go into elsewhere -- showing up in San Antonio to get mentored int he way of things there etc. So I want to build that here. Not keep stacking kids and vets with selfish agendas all tryign to prove themselves in the league/earn their next contracts. Don't need them anyway if Reke and Cousins work out. If you get Cousins head on straight and he is averaging 22 and 11 next season, and Reke is averaging 20 on good efficiency next to him, that's all you need to win if the rest of the structure is steady. Everybody else can be boring support personnel (although I'd like more).

no, exactly. I'm down to only 3 names on my not trading list (Cousins, Reke, JT). The idea is to rebuild around them, so anybody aroudn the league still intrigued or excited about Thornton, Robinson, Jimmer, IT, or whoever, and there are probably a few teams with interest in each, needs to contact me. This hasn't worked. I'm not going to just dump guys, but I would be looking for youth for stability swaps at this point. I'm sure we are fielding calls everyday from people looking to pluck young players of interest out of our seething mess.

As an aside, Hayes and Cisco, while potnetially having a little value in trade, retain some for me as well since I want more level headed vets, not fewer. I'm looking for a critical mass of veteran behavior here. Reke's a good kid, and seemed to be getting it on the court. JT is a steady guy heading toward steady vethood himself, and also critical as Cousins insurance. They can work smoothly with a steady vet team. But I'd do what it took otherwise to make Boogie the lone point of lockerroom shear. He's the guy with the talent to make us winners, so I am suggesting building absolutley as steady and stable a tower as you can below him. Eliminating as much immaturiyt and selfishness elsewhere as possible so that Cousins, and we, only have to worry about him. This would have been the ideal sitation for him to go into elsewhere -- showing up in San Antonio to get mentored int he way of things there etc. So I want to build that here. Not keep stacking kids and vets with selfish agendas all tryign to prove themselves in the league/earn their next contracts. Don't need them anyway if Reke and Cousins work out. If you get Cousins head on straight and he is averaging 22 and 11 next season, and Reke is averaging 20 on good efficiency next to him, that's all you need to win if the rest of the structure is steady. Everybody else can be boring support personnel (although I'd like more).
The voice of reason once again.

The young guys that we have, the cornerstones if you like are set up to fail by the franchise partly for the reasons that you have just outlined. There is a lot of tradeable talent on this team but like you, I would have 3 that I would not trade (same 3 as you) and everyone else is tradeable for the right veteran. Even if I am getting less in return in terms of pure talent, I would still pull the trigger provided that I am getting a steady veteran presence that is willing to play his role and be a locker room leader for the young guns, especially Cousins.

You just do not throw the baby out with the bath water. Cousins is just too talented to give up on this easily. It is our duty to help the kid out and give him every chance to succeed in the NBA and if that happens, its happy times for everyone, us included.

I am completely open to trading DMC. I am doubting that he will ever do well here. Perhaps he will do better somewhere else, but I do not think that he has the emotional resilience to do well here with everything happening here. I have serious doubts whether he even wants to be here. I think he would well in Chicago. I think that Tom T would put him in his place and DMC would enjoy playing for a team doing well right now in a big city with lots of people patting him on the back. I think that MT would do well there as well.

In return, I want Noah and and Hinrich. It is a downgrade in scoring talent, but a big upgrade in attitude and leadership. These 2 do not need to shoot the ball to be successful. They do very well setting others up for shots. They will do whatever they need to help the team and will not complain about it either. They certainly will not verbally accost the coach, teammates or the media.

The only question is, would Chicago do it? If not, why not?

Bricklayer

I am completely open to trading DMC. I am doubting that he will ever do well here. Perhaps he will do better somewhere else, but I do not think that he has the emotional resilience to do well here with everything happening here. I have serious doubts whether he even wants to be here. I think he would well in Chicago. I think that Tom T would put him in his place and DMC would enjoy playing for a team doing well right now in a big city with lots of people patting him on the back. I think that MT would do well there as well.

In return, I want Noah and and Hinrich. It is a downgrade in scoring talent, but a big upgrade in attitude and leadership. These 2 do not need to shoot the ball to be successful. They do very well setting others up for shots. They will do whatever they need to help the team and will not complain about it either. They certainly will not verbally accost the coach, teammates or the media.

The only question is, would Chicago do it? If not, why not?

Of course they wouldn't -- they think they have a title contender right now when Rose gets back, and with this latest move we have squashed Cousins value for most teams aorudn the league. The top teams won't trust him to break up the core for, the younger teams will worry they will have the same problem containing him.

And, I will say this again, you can NOT trade a talent of Cousins level. Its a franchise altering blow to lose him. The team will be in another city before you ever see a big man talent of that level again in Sacraemnto. Trading him is tantamount to giving up, admitting mediocrity is your ceiling, and never giving anybody a reason to come back ever.

Last edited:
It is easy to replace coaches and role players, it is not easy to replace franchise player talents (Cousins, Evans).

Sure we could trade Cousins for some mid-tier players, but then we would be on our way to mediocrity for the next few years and have to start the rebuilding process over again.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Of course they wouldn't -- they think they have a title contender right now when Rose gets back, and with this latest move COUSINS has squashed Cousins value for most teams aorudn the league. The top teams won't trust him to break up the core for, the younger teams will sowrry they will have the saem rpoblem containing him.
Fixed. It is Cousins who has destroyed his trade value at this point. You look on other message boards and pretty much nobody is talking about how they need to go after Cousins who would be great if he was on their team.

Of course they wouldn't -- they think they have a title contender right now when Rose gets back, and with this latest move we have squashed Cousins value for most teams aorudn the league. The top teams won't trust him to break up the core for, the younger teams will sowrry they will have the saem rpoblem containing him.

And, I will say this again, you can NOT trade a talent of Cousins level. Its a franchise altering blow to lose him. The team will be in another city before you ever see a big man talent of that level again in Sacraemnto. Trading him is tantamount to giving up, admitting mediocrity is your ceiling, and never giving anybody a reason to come back ever.
It could easily be argued the other way around. That is, "you must trade a malcontent of Cousins level. It is a franchise blow to keep him."

I am not saying that we must trade him. However, if the organization does go this direction, and trades him, I would not blame them a bit. The guys ability to do harm to the team matches his talent ability. I'm not convinced he is worth the risk.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
He's way too young to give up on him. You need to build on him, and with a coach who realizes he is an all star talent. I get what Smart is trying to say about having everyone be equal, but it's just not true . You need to play your stars and build around your stars and treat the 10-12 players (minutes-wise) like the 10-12 players. That's how you help cultivate the talent.
You just can't give up on a talent like cousins, but the writing may already be on the wall.