Views from the upper bowl

I have only been to one kings game which was on the road in Minnesota. I would like to come to a home game this year but the game that fits in my schedule is the lakers game on the 29th. If I pay 200 bucks for a seat am I going to wish I was at home watching it on tv? I know that’s subjective, but is the atmosphere still really good up top or would I be better off getting good tickets at an away game in Milwaukee, Chicago or Minny?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I have only been to one kings game which was on the road in Minnesota. I would like to come to a home game this year but the game that fits in my schedule is the lakers game on the 29th. If I pay 200 bucks for a seat am I going to wish I was at home watching it on tv? I know that’s subjective, but is the atmosphere still really good up top or would I be better off getting good tickets at an away game in Milwaukee, Chicago or Minny?
I hate to throw this out there, but here goes:

I don't really like the upper level at G1C. It is very steep and the views are kind of iffy. I would rather watch on TV, unless I felt the absolute need to be in the arena. That said, there are a limited number of seats in the upper deck that are actually pretty good - and by this I mean front row, center court. The front row center court upper deck seats are fabulous. There are no obstructions, nobody sitting in front of you, and if you're dead center, nobody trying to walk past you for the entire game (but don't select these seats if you're a perpetual perambulator, though). The angle is different than you're used to (steeper than TV, you're looking more downwards than you're used to) but it gives an interesting perspective without being TOO far away. Still, my estimate is that from there the action on the court roughly subtends the same visual angle as the live camera shot on the jumbotron.

That said, I would also rather watch on TV than be in the last 10 rows or so of the lower deck. I've got to get pretty close to the court before I feel like there's an advantage to being in the building aside from the advantage of "being in the building".

I'm also not a fan of sitting in the second deck. I feel really disconnected from the action and it's steep. You're basically sitting above the jumbotron. My experiences up there were before last season though, so I haven't experienced it as a full house with energy.

Some common suggestions I've seen for people that buy second level seats is to get the cheapest seats you can and either get to the sierra draught house early and get a place on the rail or hang out on the first level concourse.

I wouldn't sit in the upper deck. Its sooooo steep and the aisle are ridiculously narrow. Sketchy even if there's no one sitting there. Stand up? No way.

Theres also a weird flash/strobe that activates on free throws that I really hate, but you'll get that anywhere you sit

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Actually, I sit in the upper deck most every time I go to a game (say, 4-6 a year). No issues on my end. :)

Is it a bit steep? Sure. But I've never really had any viewing issues. The scoreboards on the end are obviously not as nice as the sideline seats get to see, but they all work well. Avoid the corners or directly behind the basket (especially if you are only going to one game!) and you should be good to go!

If they were $50 upper level seats, I'd suggest you go for it. But at $200? Easy pass. If you do decide to take the plunge for that game, I would suggest getting seats in the center sections. A big con of the upper level is the steepness and lack of cup holders.

If you were able to, I would suggest picking a non-expensive game in order to enjoy the lower level seats. I would recommend anywhere except the sections directly behind the basket.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I know that’s subjective, but is the atmosphere still really good up top or would I be better off getting good tickets at an away game in Milwaukee, Chicago or Minny?
Oh, to answer this question, the atmosphere is good everywhere in that building. ESPECIALLY against the hated team from SoCal. :)

I’ve always felt the complaining about the upper deck is over-the-top. It ain’t that bad. The steepness is the result of keeping the fans a bit closer than in many other arenas where the pitch is less but the view is further away.

I’ve sat in the upper level many times, specifically in the corner behind the home bench. Usually in the first 5-10 rows.

Much of the time, if other friends are also attending, my wife and I don’t end up sitting in our seats and instead hang out in the Sierra Nevada bar area — which is located behind the baseline above the main entrance.The view from there is not bad at all. Same goes for the opposite end of the arena which I believe is called the Bud Light bar area.

If you arrive early you can usually carve out a space along the railing. The Bud Light side has barstool seats that can be moved around. The Sierra Nevada side doesn’t have bar stools, but there are some benches nearby to rest if you get tired from standing and leaning along the railing.

Quite honestly, that’s my preferred way to watch especially with a group of friends. So I’d definitely recommend purchasing the cheapest upper level seats you can get and arriving at least an hour early to find some space in one of those bar areas. You probably need to arrive when the doors open if you hope to secure a barstool on the Bud Light side.