Vet free agents and filling out the roster

What about a trade with Toronto?

Kings Get: Carroll, Joseph, & 2019 1st (Top 3 protected)
Raptors Get: 2nd round pick (top 55 protected)

Why for the Kings? Gives them two hard working vets who value defense that Joerger can use to bring the rookies along slowly. Since they are just role players, they shouldn't really improve our win total that much. And we get a 2019 1st round pick. Also, Carroll & Joseph would both be off the books for the 2019 offseason (the offseason before we will have to pay any of the rookies/sophomores which allows us max cap space for big FA signings).
Why for the Raptors? That gives the raptors ~$40 mil in cap space with the following players under contract:

PG - Wright / VanVleet
SG - DeRozan
SF - Anunoby
PF - Siakim
C - Valanciunas / Nogueira / Poeltl

If I were them, I'd try to move Valanciunas for value at another position/cap space and let Noguira/Poeltl handle the C position at a very discounted rate. Nogueira had the 7th highest RPM among Centers last year and had a +6.0 On/Off. That would be another $15.5 mil they can spend elsewhere. Then you're looking at being able to add some big pieces next to Lowry/DeRozan/???/???/Nogueira (Hayward, Iguodala, Porter, Griffin, Ibaka, & Millsap)
That works for me, although it seems like a steep price for Toronto. I'd even accept greater protection on that 2019 pick. And do they actually get that much cap space without renouncing Ibaka and Lowry?

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Just a couple thoughts:

1. Unless LeBron gets traded here we are losing a lot of games next year. We don't intentionally need to tank. That will happen automatically. Don't intentionally sabotage your team by passing on quality signings just to get the rooks more playing time.
2. The draft takes care of itself. As we saw this year with the Kings, you can move up in the draft from anywhere.
3. This year it is about developing the youth, and they need good mentors that know how to play the game. I'll leave the decisions on who to bring in up to ownership. Development doesn't necessarily mean starting games or playing the most minutes. I think folks are losing sight of this.
4. Throwing youth to the wolves and expecting good player development are typically mutually exclusive.
5. There is no penalty for meeting the minimum floor salary. Our guys just get the extra $$$ in their paychecks. We don't need to go max someone we don't have to. I'm fine with the young players getting a pay raise that isn't in their contracts if the right FA are not there at a reasonable price (for Sacramento).

That is all well and good BUT....plenty of top 10 picks have not amounted to being an all-star let alone a franchise cornerstone and plenty of "later" picks have become all-stars and in some cases, franchise level talent (Leonard, Giannis, George, Butler, J. O'Neal etc...)

Bottom line is, that firstly there needs to be talent in the pool. No one knows what draft class of 2018 will be like. For all we know it could be one of the weakest in recent years so having even #1 pick means nothing in that case.

I think it is really important to build the culture of his standards, playing to win and expectation of success and then work your backside off as a front office to identify the undervalued talent and then develop that talent into a franchise level player. Spurs are masters at doing this. Kings can take the same approach. Build something tangible and be smart as a front office to get yourself in position to get the talent.

Say the Kings got lucky with Fox and he is a franchise changing talent and lets say they genuinely got a steal of the draft in Giles and Skal....maybe there are two franchise changing talents and another all-star in those 3. Time will tell.

Drafting is inexact science. Kings gotlucky with Cousins and Isaiah and seriously mismanaged the development of Tyreke Evans who could have been an all-star but let's forget Tyreke for a minute.

When new ownership took over, the front office moved forward with Cousins and Isaiah who they never really rated (mistake #1). Petrie left chest full of intellectual property and recommendations for the upcoming draft class of "Draft the Greek kid". They ignored him and used pick 7 on McLemore...they even admitted that they were looking to trade up to get him. This is where mistake #2 comes in. Can you imagine a team with DeMarcus Cousins, Isaiah Thomas, Giannis Antetokounmpo and possibly even Rudy Gay??

To me it says that you can build a contender without finishing with the #1 pick...or even top 3. You just need to be basketball savvy and make sure you absolutely get the picks right and make smart trades and signings. The Kings were SO close yet so far.
I just don't understand the line of thinking that we need to sign a bunch of vets this year, still not be able to win enough to make the playoffs but win enough to force ourselves to pick at the back end of the lottery because drafting isn't an exact science. You pick at the beginning of the draft and you get to choose between Griffin, Thabeet and Harden. You pick at the back of the lottery and you get to choose between Jordan Hill, Derozan and Brandon Jennings. Now obviously you can bust in the top 3 picks with Thabeet or you can find an all star at 9 with Derozan but why on earth would you not want to give yourself the higher odds and pick out of the first group than the second? Stop playing checkers and start playing chess. We have no pick in 2019 so we get one more shot at getting ourselves an all star that is in the same age group as the rest of our young core. We aren't signing franchise changing free agents so we need to get them through the draft.

We have the chance to pull off what the Sixers did in just a few years, so lets do it. This isn't tanking, it's strategy. We have no chance at the playoffs this year anyway so it's the perfect time to play the kids and develop them. They're going to lose but it's still going to be entertaining. We're going to be watching an almost complete roster full of young players full of potential. This isn't a tank while we watch Jason Hart, Francisco Garcia, Donte Green, Jason Thompson and Spencer Hawes lose. We're going to be watching Fox, Mason, Hield, Bogdan, Malachi, Jackson, Skal, Giles, WCS and Papa. Even if we lose by 20, at least one of those guys is going to have a game that's going to get you excited for the future. After we add what is hopefully another Fox level talent next year, we can start to work our way toward making the playoffs for the next 10 years instead of winning 25-30 games a year like we've been doing for the last 10.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
A few of you have all ready said it. The team does not need to go out there and feel obligated to spend big money, that would be a mistake. Just because you have all that capspace does not mean you go and spend it all. Use it for the betterment of the team and continue to give the team flexibility to always make a move to improve. I hope Perry is on Vlade about this. I'm hopeful Vlade realizes this too.

A few of you have all ready said it. The team does not need to go out there and feel obligated to spend big money, that would be a mistake. Just because you have all that capspace does not mean you go and spend it all. Use it for the betterment of the team and continue to give the team flexibility to always make a move to improve. I hope Perry is on Vlade about this. I'm hopeful Vlade realizes this too.
I suspect they ALL know that. I would be surprised if the team signed more than a "reserve" PG and a "potential" starting small forward. The last spot I would assume be saved for a salary dump for assets move.

that's silly talk. The Kings are in prime position to continue adding youth and draft picks and eventually one of these draft picks will be our cornerstone. That's what it's all about. Once you do find your cornerstone, it's time to build around that player. Hopefully in our case, one single cornerstone won't get very far because in the NBA now you need multiple all-stars to be contenders and not pretenders. Having a 2018 top h5 pick would be crucial in playing the odds of the Kings getting that cornerstone.
Have to disagree. We are rebuilt except for the vets we get in the next couple of weeks. You get the best vets we can to fill the heeds we have and we go for the win. Will we have the team we need at the start of the season? Who knows, that's part of the fun of playing the game. If not, we adjust. But let's not worry about the adjustments we might have to make, there will be time for that later.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Have to disagree. We are rebuilt except for the vets we get in the next couple of weeks. You get the best vets we can to fill the heeds we have and we go for the win. Will we have the team we need at the start of the season? Who knows, that's part of the fun of playing the game. If not, we adjust. But let's not worry about the adjustments we might have to make, there will be time for that later.
Go for the win? We don't even know what we have in all these young players. For all we know they are all role players and a notch below all-star caliber, that's not going to get it done. It's time to give them a lot of playing time and further evaluate from there to decide which ones to move forward with and which ones can be expendable in a trade for a star player and/or picks.

Really? We are rebuilt? We sign Gallo 4/100mil, bogdanovic 3/30 and Collison 3/30 and we have our team. Then we draft tenth, extend WCS and w are capped out. That just sounds horrible.

Go for the win? We don't even know what we have in all these young players. For all we know they are all role players and a notch below all-star caliber, that's not going to get it done. It's time to give them a lot of playing time and further evaluate from there to decide which ones to move forward with and which ones can be expendable in a trade for a star player and/or picks.
I agree. Now let's go out and get quality vets to lead the way.

Really? We are rebuilt? We sign Gallo 4/100mil, bogdanovic 3/30 and Collison 3/30 and we have our team. Then we draft tenth, extend WCS and w are capped out. That just sounds horrible.
Why would you assume those would be the vets would/could get? Bogdonovic at 3/30 is probably in the ballpark given the reporting from overseas. The other two are complete unknowns. What if it's Harkless and Davis or Beverly and Ariza along with compensation for the salary dump (i.e. pick(s) in 2019)? Both of those address a need(s) with both of them having a player on his final year and there is reasons for the other team to do it (doesn't mean they will).

Never mind the Beverly and Ariza idea. As Kingsboi already said that ship has sailed.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
When a player wants to leave San Antonio, then that spells trouble to me. No thanks to Aldridge.
He really got blasted on his way out of Portland (I wasn't really paying attention but thought he hung the Blazers out to dry). Apparently the whole team had to walk on eggshells to cater to him. His ego was so fragile that the team made sure to offer every promotional opportunity to him. He turned a notable NBA campaign down, which Lillard took and then the campaign went national and Lillard's star blew up. Aldridge lost it and held everyone else responsible.

I don't care how much talent he brings to the table, he is exactly what we don't want here.
http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/i...ldridge_is_gone_and_now_the_trail_blazer.html

Why would you assume those would be the vets would/could get? Bogdonovic at 3/30 is probably in the ballpark given the reporting from overseas. The other two are complete unknowns. What if it's Harkless and Davis or Beverly and Ariza along with compensation for the salary dump (i.e. pick(s) in 2019)? Both of those address a need(s) with both of them having a player on his final year and there is reasons for the other team to do it (doesn't mean they will).

Never mind the Beverly and Ariza idea. As Kingsboi already said that ship has sailed.
Because the post I quoted said we shoud get the best vets we can and I think Gallo is the best vet we could get, Millsap too but because he would be the worst possible singing in my opinion, i wanted to demonstrate the scenario with someone else. Also for vet pg i named Collison because he is the probably most suggested vet pg here by those who wants to win now.

By getting vets in exchange for first round picks I'm all for as I've been saying all along. In my opinion thats the best way to use our cap space. Alltough I dont see Portland dumping Harkless AND giving up a 1st. If they do a salary dump, Leonard will most likely be the one they dump. Also Houston will be rather dumping Ryan Anderson since he gets paid a lot more than Ariza and Beverley plus Ariza is very important for them.

Resign one of Collison or Lawson to a short contract. Sign a veteran SF to a short contract. Get another high draft pick next year. Wait for next year to make a big free agent move.
Yeah id agree with that.

We dont need to reinvent the wheel.

We are on that father time clock now. the kids will exponentially get better, and as they do, you work out where you can add to the roster based on their development and perceived strengths/weaknesses.

For now unleash them and let the growing pains separate the men from the boys

Because the post I quoted said we shoud get the best vets we can and I think Gallo is the best vet we could get, Millsap too but because he would be the worst possible singing in my opinion, i wanted to demonstrate the scenario with someone else. Also for vet pg i named Collison because he is the probably most suggested vet pg here by those who wants to win now.

By getting vets in exchange for first round picks I'm all for as I've been saying all along. In my opinion thats the best way to use our cap space. Alltough I dont see Portland dumping Harkless AND giving up a 1st. If they do a salary dump, Leonard will most likely be the one they dump. Also Houston will be rather dumping Ryan Anderson since he gets paid a lot more than Ariza and Beverley plus Ariza is very important for them.
Well with the LA Clippers and Houston trade, Beverly and Ariza is not happening. The deal you responded to pshn80 with, I wouldn't do for the reasons you gave. I was trying to show that there were other routes. I wouldn't do Leonard because of the length of the contract preventing him being cut if the roster spot is needed (Davis is an expiring). The Harkless and Davis would depend on how desperate Portland is to shed salary.

As far as the Small Forward position, I would like to add a veteran Small Forward that is on the younger side, that can grow with the rest of the team.

Ideally, I would do a salary dump trade with Portland for Moe Harkless (and a salary dump contract), so I can try and get a 1st round pick out of this. Something that may work would be Moe Harkless and Ed Davis (or Al-Farouq Aminu) which would net us a starting small forward and a back up Power forward and a future 1st round pick. Portland does it to get out of Luxury tax hell in one trade.

There are only 2 free agent small forwards that I think makes sense for the Kings rebuild. Either Tony Snell or Shabazz Muhammad. Both will get paid, probably in the $8-12 mil per year range. Both are still young at 25 or under and can grow with our youngsters.

Bojan Bodanovic may make some sense, being 28 years old. He looks like a player that Vlade may also target.

Some people suggest Joe Ingles, but he is actually a lot older than you may think. He will be 30 years old by the time next season starts. I don't think he fits in our time frame to grow with our youngsters.

I would not overpay too much for any one player, so worse case scenario, we roll with Justin Jackson, Temple, Malichi and Bogdan splitting time at SF.

I'm starting to think they will roll with Temple as the starting SF unless something really big falls into their laps. There won't be minutes for him at SG. The SF slot is perfect for him this year and the Kings kind of owe it to him based on his effort and character. I think it works out perfectly for what should be the game plan this year.

I really like Ingles but I wish he was 25 instead of nearly 30. Bojan is an alright player but he's not going to make the team much better due to his poor defense. Snell and Muhammad are just not good players and I'd hate to have to pass up on an actual good player in the future because we are stuck with either of them.

We are so far from being rebuilt its not funny!

If we are lucky, 50% of these young guys on the roster will make it into good NBA player. If we are lucky. Just because we have a bunch of young guys at every position, it does NOT mean that we have rebuilt. Rebuild NEVER happen overnight. Some of these players will become good NBA players. Some might become all-stars. Some will be out of the league in 3-4 years and some will move on to greener pastures.

The team has done well to speed up the process of rebuilding by loading up on the youngsters and seeing who sticks and who doesn't. This team will not be close to the play offs next year regardless of who the Kings sign. Not close. Having the right veteran presence on this team is critical to the development of these young players. Temple is worth his weight in gold for this team. Kosta is handy as a mentor to the bigs but by the trade deadline he becomes a trade chip.

This team will lose a LOT with or without veterans. Trick is to get veterans who are great mentors but that will not help you win a large number of games. This still allows youngsters to compete for their minutes, get enough minutes on court to develop and at the same time learn to compete.

Next season is about learning to compete night in night out in 82 game season for these youngsters. They have all done it at some lower level but they have not done it at the highest level of all. There will be no stars to take away the attention from the opponent off them. They will need to earn everything they get the hard way. This team as currently constructed will win 20-25 games next year. There is no way they sniff the play offs unless they somehow manage to walk away with Curry and Durant from the free agency or get LeBron for nothing with another all-star FA.

There is talent on the roster but that talent needs to develop and that takes time. They will learn to compete next season and once they learn how to do that each and every game, then they will need to learn how to win because there will be MANY games next year where they lose games that they are in position to win.

I'm starting to think they will roll with Temple as the starting SF unless something really big falls into their laps. There won't be minutes for him at SG. The SF slot is perfect for him this year and the Kings kind of owe it to him based on his effort and character. I think it works out perfectly for what should be the game plan this year.

I really like Ingles but I wish he was 25 instead of nearly 30. Bojan is an alright player but he's not going to make the team much better due to his poor defense. Snell and Muhammad are just not good players and I'd hate to have to pass up on an actual good player in the future because we are stuck with either of them.
I think this is an option many are forgetting. Temple started and played a lot of games as a SF with Washington before signing with the Kings.

If we can't get a quality SF, I think a bunch of minutes will go to Temple at the position and back filled with spot minutes from Malachi, Bogdan and Justin Jackson.

We are so far from being rebuilt its not funny!

If we are lucky, 50% of these young guys on the roster will make it into good NBA player. If we are lucky. Just because we have a bunch of young guys at every position, it does NOT mean that we have rebuilt. Rebuild NEVER happen overnight. Some of these players will become good NBA players. Some might become all-stars. Some will be out of the league in 3-4 years and some will move on to greener pastures.

The team has done well to speed up the process of rebuilding by loading up on the youngsters and seeing who sticks and who doesn't. This team will not be close to the play offs next year regardless of who the Kings sign. Not close. Having the right veteran presence on this team is critical to the development of these young players. Temple is worth his weight in gold for this team. Kosta is handy as a mentor to the bigs but by the trade deadline he becomes a trade chip.

This team will lose a LOT with or without veterans. Trick is to get veterans who are great mentors but that will not help you win a large number of games. This still allows youngsters to compete for their minutes, get enough minutes on court to develop and at the same time learn to compete.

Next season is about learning to compete night in night out in 82 game season for these youngsters. They have all done it at some lower level but they have not done it at the highest level of all. There will be no stars to take away the attention from the opponent off them. They will need to earn everything they get the hard way. This team as currently constructed will win 20-25 games next year. There is no way they sniff the play offs unless they somehow manage to walk away with Curry and Durant from the free agency or get LeBron for nothing with another all-star FA.

There is talent on the roster but that talent needs to develop and that takes time. They will learn to compete next season and once they learn how to do that each and every game, then they will need to learn how to win because there will be MANY games next year where they lose games that they are in position to win.
I have no trouble with anything you say. After we hire vets in the next weeks we will be rebuilt for the foreseeable future and until we see where the tweaks should be made. Of course we are going to see in the season ahead where we are and how are guys have progressed. But we should not use that as a reason not to hire quality vets where the needs exist, guys that can start and play well and give us and our rooks a grater chance to be in games. It's better for the rooks giving more quality minutes though maybe not as many, better FO team development, better at creating a healthy competitive atmosphere for a growing team. If the rooks can or cannot beat the vets out for quality minutes -so be it. It's all fo the best in the long run. The ones that can develop fast will and those that can't may take more time.

There is a big difference to wanting to load up on 10 day contract level players (tank), and not wanting to sign a well known name (Millsap, LMA, Anderson etc) who are in their primes when the bulk of our team are 1,2 or 3yr (Willie) players.
We can sign guys who know how to teach NBA professionalism without signing ill fitting contracts to mentor and squeeze out 5-10 more wins. We get a year with no draft pick conditions finally (!) then a year when we get no 1st rounder and our 2nd is the lesser of ours and the Bucks.

Patience this offseason pays off for the next decade. Trying to short cut our rebuild will likely mean we are right back here again in 7 years.

By my count we have 3 legit spots to fill and 2 more project players to stash in the G league.

12 committed so far.

And I'm looking at this roster. And the more I look the more I am having trouble finding what we need. I don't think we commit to a big contract that will likely come with an ego. I would prefer we focus on specialists, preferrably defensive vet specialists.

Let's run with Fox at the one.
Buddy is ready to start at 2.
I want to see Bogdan try the three, if not quite ready to start, start Temple.
Skal take the 4
5 can be covered by KK/WCS/Papa

I don't want a big star coming in here disrupting chemistry thinking it's his team. I want a star or two to emerge from what we have. I want hard nosed vet defenders manning the bench and filling out the roster. If a rook hits a slump... play one of the vets. But screw it, play the kids. It's what the fans want. There is just too much young talent on this roster to not let them play and figure it out.

So three spots to fill now with Bogdan here....

How much money? 40 mil now for THREE roster spots? Anyone have an exact number how much we have? Yikes.. There are no 20mil players that would come here so what are we going to do?

So three spots to fill now with Bogdan here....

How much money? 40 mil now for THREE roster spots? Anyone have an exact number how much we have? Yikes.. There are no 20mil players that would come here so what are we going to do?
Yup 40M. Bogdan at 12M gets us to 50M committed. 90M minimum.

Anything under that just gets distributed to the players at the end of the season. Which honestly would be a great thing if it came to that as it would build tremendous good will all around. But likely won't.

At the very least we'll take on a salary dump for draft picks.

Anything under that just gets distributed to the players at the end of the season. Which honestly would be a great thing if it came to that as it would build tremendous good will all around. But likely won't.

Aren't we at 38 + Bogdan + 4 rookie contacts? Probably closer to 60 now. Overpay Collison and Ingles on short deals with team options and we'd pretty much be to the minimum.

1. KK 8,393,000
    GT 8,000,000
    WCS 3,704,160
    BH 3,675,480
    GP 2,301,360
    MR 1,504,560
    SL 1,312,611

DF 4,609,200
    JJ 2,365,560
    HG 1,859,400

TOT 37,725,361 7 CONTRACTS FROM LAST YR, 3 ROOKIES AT 120% SCALE

DEAD CAP MB 2,133,542
    AT 666,667
    CB 517,220
    AA 500,000

TOT 3,817,429

so with 10 contracts 41,542,790 cap used leaves 57,457,210 to 99mil cap

Bogs 11,428,571 (would be highest paid player!)
    Frank-#34 1,200,000 (just a guess)

so thats 54,171,361 12 players Leaves 44,828,639 for 3 last roster slots(34,828,639 to 89Mil Floor)

Last edited:
Los Angeles Clippers forward Luc Mbah a Moute will decline player option to test unrestricted free-agency, league sources tell ESPN.
– via Twitter ChrisBHaynes

Some names I haven't heard thrown around

PG- Mo Williams, Farmar
SF- Luc Mbah a Moute
PF- Epke Udoh
Mo Williams is done, no reason to sign him. Jordan Farmar is irrelevant, wasnt even in the league last year, he should be an absolute last resort. Epke Udoh is interesting but he is a C in the NBA. Luc would be an interesting low level signing, but I doubt he signs here after the debacle a couple years ago.

Los Angeles Clippers forward Luc Mbah a Moute will decline player option to test unrestricted free-agency, league sources tell ESPN.
– via Twitter ChrisBHaynes

Some names I haven't heard thrown around

PG- Mo Williams, Farmar
SF- Luc Mbah a Moute
PF- Epke Udoh
Mbah a Moute would be a fine addition, probably relatively cheap and a short deal. He can come in and not be pushed around by all of the great wings in our league. The current group of true SFs we have would give up 50ppg to the 8-10 SFs in the league so adding a defensive specialist is a must.

Farmar is sufficient as well. I imagine with Joerger as our coach one of Farmar or Luc would start.

Also you cannot expect Justin Jackson/Bogdan/Temple to be able to hang with all of the great 2/3s in this league full time thats just not fair.

Any PG or SF gets a hot hand against us just sic Temple/Luc on them until things calm down. :D

By my count we have 3 legit spots to fill and 2 more project players to stash in the G league.

12 committed so far.

And I'm looking at this roster. And the more I look the more I am having trouble finding what we need. I don't think we commit to a big contract that will likely come with an ego. I would prefer we focus on specialists, preferrably defensive vet specialists.

Let's run with Fox at the one.
Buddy is ready to start at 2.
I want to see Bogdan try the three, if not quite ready to start, start Temple.
Skal take the 4
5 can be covered by KK/WCS/Papa

I don't want a big star coming in here disrupting chemistry thinking it's his team. I want a star or two to emerge from what we have. I want hard nosed vet defenders manning the bench and filling out the roster. If a rook hits a slump... play one of the vets. But screw it, play the kids. It's what the fans want. There is just too much young talent on this roster to not let them play and figure it out.
It would be a mistake to just let the kids play without having to earn it. Not only that they will be sacrificial lambs early on and that can effect development and confidence. Its pretty clear what we need. A veteran PG that can start if needed(Collison, Lawson, Mills). A true wing( Gallinari, Igoudala, Mbah Moute, Ingles, Porter). And a stretch 4 type (Ilyasova, Patrick Patterson, Jamychael Green).