Training Camp Cuts

So Temple is backup PG for first 8 games which in the grand Joeger scheme of things might work out if major emphasis is on defense and ball movement. Team and rotations are not going to stabilize until after trade deadline anyway and with both DC andLawson life could become really interesting.
On other hand offense could struggle to find rythm, bad shots, bad passes, turnovers means we cant set our defense, other teams get fast break opportunities, trailing threes etc.
A good defense starts with an efficient offense that produces good shots so team can get back and set its defense.

Can't we simply send a couple guys to the Bighorns and be done (like any 2 out of: PapaG, Malachi or Isaiah Cousins)?

The idea of these Rudy trades coming to fruition today seems like wishful thinking. I'll be happily shocked but shocked nonetheless.

Dont trades take days to complete, players going through physicals, league approval etc.? Doubt much happens today other than player cuts.

Can't we simply send a couple guys to the Bighorns and be done (like any 2 out of: PapaG, Malachi or Isaiah Cousins)?

The idea of these Rudy trades coming to fruition today seems like wishful thinking. I'll be happily shocked but shocked nonetheless.
They still count to the 15 man roster. If they waive icuz they can designate him to reno and we get rights to sign him first if another teams tries to sign him from the d league.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I don't care as much about the sentiment but rather when it reflects poor decisions that deserve to be mocked
I gave up on "common wisdom" when a ton of so called experts thought we should end a loosing season by throwing a 5 year deal at the crazy old man in the parking lot holding a sign that read "will coach for food"

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
We're almost out of time. Why do I get the bad feeling we're about to do something that is going to be mocked by everyone
On the contrary, it appears we did...nothing.

Thinking Vlade is going to run around making willy nilly trades is I think ignoring the history forming up with him. Its the social media age, we get rumors of him trying in the background. but as far as actually pulling the trigger, Vlade has shown a Petrieesque ability to hold his water thus far. Maybe too Petrieesque.

Bricklayer

20 min after deadline and still no news? tired of hitting refresh button
Well we have to have done SOMETHING, even if that something is just finally release Farmar.

Of course this isn't like the trade deadline. The only deadline we are facing here is keeping Farmar under contract. While its more disruptive still, there really is no reason we can't just make a trade in a week, or two weeks. Its just that we will have had to release Farmar from his deal today, and he could go sign with anybody. Who knows, maybe we made an iron clad promise to him that hang around keep himself available, and we'll resign you as soon as the deal is done. Still odd though. Farmar knows Joerger from last year, but for a vet player to intentionally tie himself down to a team that MIGHT open a roster spot for him, maybe, one of these days, and even sit around sans contract/money waiting for it to happen seems odd without deeper ties to the organization. Odder still since one of the moments when he could really make a difference would have been this first 8 game stretch sans Collison.

Cousins/Koufos?/Papagiannis (Reno)
WCS?/Tolliver/Skal
Gay/Casspi/Barnes
Afflalo/McLemore/Richardson (Reno)
Collison*/Lawson/Temple?

?s reflect position preferences. Jones' chat today said he didn't think Joerger would end up playing Cousins and Koufos together often, notwithstanding the fact we've seen them start together for most of the preseason.

Bricklayer

Cousins/Koufos?/Papagiannis (Reno)
WCS?/Tolliver/Skal
Gay/Casspi/Barnes
Afflalo/McLemore/Richardson (Reno)
Collison*/Lawson/Temple?

?s reflect position preferences. Jones' chat today said he didn't think Joerger would end up playing Cousins and Koufos together often, notwithstanding the fact we've seen them start together for most of the preseason.
There's no preseason evidence against the Cousins/Koufos plan, so the only wildcard there is Matt Barnes, who was largely held out in preseason, and who Joerger said he planned on playing at PF a lot this year.

More decent talent in the NBA this year. A lot of decent, capable players waived, but not many teams with roster space to sign them. Lakers and Nets may be only squads that go fishing deep into the waivers.

They need to up the pay in D-League to keep these guys in the system with their teams.

Bricklayer

archie goodwin waived
Just not relevant to us. We are so full of contracts with all the draft picks we don't have room for anybody. Goodwin, Yi, Gee, Beno (who Detroit just picked up), Farmar etc. etc., just no room for any flyers between our established vets and our clueless kiddie corps in Reno.

Last edited:
The Trade deadline is February will be the next big date.

If there is no trade of Rudy now, we will have to wait and see if someone wants to do a salary dump at the trade deadline (for expiring contracts like Gay) to net us back a rotation player.

I still think Goran Dragic will be a prime candidate to trade for in February, when Riles will want to unload some salary for the 2017 Free Agent Frenzy.

There's no preseason evidence against the Cousins/Koufos plan, so the only wildcard there is Matt Barnes, who was largely held out in preseason, and who Joerger said he planned on playing at PF a lot this year.
There was plenty of evidence in the Clippers game. Griffin and Jordan's athleticism was a real problem both in the halfcourt and on the fast break, and Cousins/Koufos were having trouble helping Ben guard Redick off of screens. The Kings just can't afford to put someone as slow as Koufos starting next to Boogie

Bricklayer

There was plenty of evidence in the Clippers game. Griffin and Jordan's athleticism was a real problem both in the halfcourt and on the fast break, and Cousins/Koufos were having trouble helping Ben guard Redick off of screens. The Kings just can't afford to put someone as slow as Koufos starting next to Boogie
I remember Koufos doing very well against that frontline. In fact arguably outplayed those guys. Certainly he and Cuz together considerably outperformed DJ/Blake.

Bricklayer

is Lamar Patterson waived too or did he resign?
says waived now.

then again it said waived last week. Then there was the report he had been resigned (to where? NBA or Reno?). Now it says he's been waived again, but unclear if he was re-waived or its just a re-reporting/summarization of our moves in the last week.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
says waived now.

then again it said waived last week. Then there was the report he had been resigned (to where? NBA or Reno?). Now it says he's been waived again, but unclear if he was re-waived or its just a re-reporting/summarization of our moves in the last week.
The official media release (http://www.nba.com/kings/new/kings-waive-two) does not mention Patterson being waived. Of course, there was never ANYTHING official on Patterson being re-signed to my recollection. Just a single tweet that may have been a false alarm - and this official release NOT mentioning Patterson makes that seem to be even more likely the answer (that Patterson was never re-signed in the first place).