Trade for Rondo??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rajon Rondo is the only star left of the championship Celtics team and though Ainge publicly says he is not looking to trade Rondo, many believe that Rondo can be had for the right price.

Now I know we are just 1 day before the 7/10 FA signing date which would make the Tyreke move finalized, but how does matching Tyreke's offer and trading for Rondo sound? Ainge has long been rumored to covet Tyreke since his rookie year and tried trading for Tyreke with Rondo.

Rondo made not be the best guy in the locker room but he is a fierce floor general. He would do wonders with setting up Cousins, Mac etc.

This is assuming what the Kings and Pelicans have is merely a non binding verbal agreement.

If not with Tyreke, we should explore other ways to get Rondo. 2014 #1 plus Jimmer & Hayes? :) one can only dream.

Mojo

G-League
No. The verbal agreement will not be broken.

And we can not move our 2014 #1 because of the trade with Cleveland.

Will not or cannot?

Also, Tyreke is just an example. We can offer other players in a trade as well.

So you are saying no to Rondo?
Boston does not want anything we can offer. They are rebuilding. We gave a conditional first round pick to Cleveland as part of the Hickson trade. The NBA bylaws do not allow us to go two consecutive years without a first round pick so we cannot trade our pick until 2017(when the pick gets turned into a 2nd round pick I think) or Cleveland uses the pick.

Even though Rondo is injured, I still think we should try and acquire him. Boston is completely reloading and going for the youth movement in order to tank for a star in this draft. He is a defensive monster, great passer, and always ups his game come playoff time. With him, we would have:
PG: Rondo
SG: Ben
SF: to be decided
PF: Thompson/PPat
C: Cousins

Now, the issue is what do we have that Boston would want? Ben? Close to untouchable in my book. We could send back IT, an expiring contract, McCallum..someone else...? I really have no clue. Rondo has always worked well with Ray Allen as he was the ultimate sidekick for Rondo being a great shooter and Ben would assume the Ray Allen role. We would still need a solid player at the SF spot though. Everything starts at the PG spot. Offense and defense. Rondo is good at both (shooting is a weakness, but we have Ben for that).

I could be wrong, but I have always gotten the sense that Rondo is not what you would call a "locker room guy." So I would be against this.
I think Rondo needs to be the top dog in the locker room. By some accounts he forced himself into that position in Boston before he had necessarily earned it on the court. I could imagine a Rondo vs. IT throw-down at some point.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Even though Rondo is injured, I still think we should try and acquire him. Boston is completely reloading and going for the youth movement in order to tank for a star in this draft. He is a defensive monster, great passer, and always ups his game come playoff time. With him, we would have:
PG: Rondo
SG: Ben
SF: to be decided
PF: Thompson/PPat
C: Cousins

Now, the issue is what do we have that Boston would want? Ben? Close to untouchable in my book. We could send back IT, an expiring contract, McCallum..someone else...? I really have no clue. Rondo has always worked well with Ray Allen as he was the ultimate sidekick for Rondo being a great shooter and Ben would assume the Ray Allen role. We would still need a solid player at the SF spot though. Everything starts at the PG spot. Offense and defense. Rondo is good at both (shooting is a weakness, but we have Ben for that).
Heh, what?

the way rondo is (over)valued Boston would likely start with IT/Ben/our #1 as opening demands.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Lets see? Where do we need help. OK, we need a starting SF, and we need a shotblocking PF to put along side of Cuz. Here's the answer, lets trade for a PG. Problem solved. Seriously, I'm not a big Rondo fan. I think he's overrated, and he's also hard to get along with. I'll pass thank you!

K

KingMilz

We would have to give up way to much including #M16 and at this point in the rebuild I'm comfortable with Vasquez at the point.

Heh, what?

the way rondo is (over)valued Boston would likely start with IT/Ben/our #1 as opening demands.
Well it's a shame that the Kings FO couldn't have (over) valued Evans the way BOS (over) values Rondo and gotten a little more for him than what they did...like say Rondo.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Lets see? Where do we need help. OK, we need a starting SF, and we need a shotblocking PF to put along side of Cuz. Here's the answer, lets trade for a PG. Problem solved. Seriously, I'm not a big Rondo fan. I think he's overrated, and he's also hard to get along with. I'll pass thank you!
This is where we disagree most often in basketball philosophy because to my mind Rajon Rondo is the perfect PG. He's the captain of the defense, a terrific rebounder for a guard, and he makes quick decisive moves with the ball that often result in easy baskets. On the other hand, his lack of shooting prowess changes what you can do on offense because he's not going to be able to create the same space on a PnR without that ability to shoot over a sagging defender. That and he's not a threat spotted up for three while DeMarcus works in the post. Basically he's the yin to Steve Nash's yang. But while I certainly appreciate the ways that a Steve Nash can help you win, I take Rondo over Nash every time and try to beat you on the defensive end. All things being equal, I'd take a peak Rondo over pretty much anybody at PG because I think defense at PG is just as important to the overall team as that stopper in the post. If you can acquire an elite defender at PG you absolutely do that and worry about the SF and PF issues next June.

So I love the idea of bringing in Rondo to kick-start the Mike Malone defense-first era, but it's a general idea lacking a specific plan right now. Whenever Rondo gets healthy, it's quite likely Boston is going to shop him but what are you really getting? Boston is in pole-position for the coveted worst record lottery odds right now and Ainge will want to keep it that way by holding Rondo out. When he does get traded, you're really only getting him for a couple months in 2014 plus next season. So what do you give up for one season of Rondo? Three seasons of McLemore for cheap and a draft pick is what Boston wants which is obviously too much. The rest of our roster is so bereft of talent I don't really see anything happening for us. Phoenix letting the deadline expire without locking up Eric Bledsoe long-term is a little more interesting considering he's best buds with DeMarcus and off to a terrific start so far, but the better he plays the more likely Phoenix is to match any and all offers.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I'd rather trade for Schroder. He's not going to command the market value of a Rondo and his ceiling could be just as high. It's conceivable that the Kings could get him with some of the players we have on our roster, but no way could that happen with Rondo.

Petrie would never conceive of trading vets for draft picks. However, I get the feeling this management team is different. They may have more confidence in their drafting skill and will trade a "what you see is what you get" veteran like a Thompson for a draftee who has never played in the NBA. I'd be game for that strategy. You conceivably could end up with players with higher ceilings than those we have.

Absolutely no to Rondo. We already have one headcase we are attempting to reign in. Adding another well-documented headcase as his main supporting cast does not seem like a great idea. That's not even discounting the fact how incredibly overrated Rondo is as a player

Rondo would most likely cost to much for us however they have another guard over there I think would fit here perfectly who goes by the name of Avery Bradley. While he does not have the court vision of a Vasquez he does put a tremendous amount of pressure on opposing ball handlers and thats something we have not had since DC. He has a QO after this season and Boston is going to have to make a decision as it pertains to their salary. Next season their larger contracts consist of Rondo 13M and expiring, Gerald Wallace 10+M, Brandon Bass 7M and Courtney Lee 5.4M so if we manage our salary correctly we should be able to make a offer that could net us an ELITE defender.

Let's not shop for another PG now or in the near future. A big and a three are more pressing. But let's play another ten or twenty games before we look for a new one of any kind. The only thing that would move me sooner is on the other sof the ledger - a good deal to move Thornton, Fredette on. I'm saying that it is more important to move Thornton early than it is to get a specific need filled but, of course , the two things go hand in hand.

Rondo would most likely cost to much for us however they have another guard over there I think would fit here perfectly who goes by the name of Avery Bradley. While he does not have the court vision of a Vasquez he does put a tremendous amount of pressure on opposing ball handlers and thats something we have not had since DC. He has a QO after this season and Boston is going to have to make a decision as it pertains to their salary. Next season their larger contracts consist of Rondo 13M and expiring, Gerald Wallace 10+M, Brandon Bass 7M and Courtney Lee 5.4M so if we manage our salary correctly we should be able to make a offer that could net us an ELITE defender.
He is a great defender. I'm just not sure what we'd do with him. He isn't a point guard and we have Ben as our 2 of the future. He could be a great 3rd guard but we'd need to settle our pg situation and have other pressing needs.

Rondi isn't overrated. He's a 4x All Star, and more importantly for us, a 2x 1st Defensive Team/2x 2nd Defensive team, player. He's a proven star in this league, obviously wouldn't mind passing to Cuz or BMac, and can play D.

Rondi isn't overrated. He's a 4x All Star, and more importantly for us, a 2x 1st Defensive Team/2x 2nd Defensive team, player. He's a proven star in this league, obviously wouldn't mind passing to Cuz or BMac, and can play D.
He is those things but he's probably also overrated. He's played almost his entire career next to 2-3 hall-of-famers. Not many all-star, pass first guys can say that. Last year, with kg and pierce declining, his weaknesses were more apparent. Lets see how he does when he's carrying a team on both ends.

He is a great defender. I'm just not sure what we'd do with him. He isn't a point guard and we have Ben as our 2 of the future. He could be a great 3rd guard but we'd need to settle our pg situation and have other pressing needs.
Pressing needs you say, how about some perimeter defense. Fact is neither Vasquez or IT are locked up for long term deals so our pg situation is far from being settled. Even as a third guard Bradley would be an amazing fit here imo because defense changes the game when you look at it from a possession by possession perspective and he still has so much room to grow his game.

The one guy I would pull from Boston now is Gerald Wallace. We probably can't get him in a 2 team trade. But Thornton to a third team willing to send future draft picks to Boston for Gerald Wallace would be a nice thing to do. Salmons can slide to SG anytime and Ben would start. We'll be so much improved defensively with Luc and Crash at SF.

When Landry is back, a line-up of Vasquez/Ben/Wallace/Landry/DMC would be very competitive.
Then IT can take all the offense from the bench with Salmons/Luc/Hayes/JT

The one guy I would pull from Boston now is Gerald Wallace. We probably can't get him in a 2 team trade. But Thornton to a third team willing to send future draft picks to Boston for Gerald Wallace would be a nice thing to do. Salmons can slide to SG anytime and Ben would start. We'll be so much improved defensively with Luc and Crash at SF.

When Landry is back, a line-up of Vasquez/Ben/Wallace/Landry/DMC would be very competitive.
No way. He's washed up and has a horrible contract.

No way. He's washed up and has a horrible contract.

Pressing needs you say, how about some perimeter defense. Fact is neither Vasquez or IT are locked up for long term deals so our pg situation is far from being settled. Even as a third guard Bradley would be an amazing fit here imo because defense changes the game when you look at it from a possession by possession perspective and he still has so much room to grow his game.
I don't disagree that we need perimeter d but at his cost, we'd have to let either GV or IT go. I'd hate to let a potential 6th man stud like IT go and would not be happy with him as our main pg next year. If we somehow brought in a starting pg and let both of our current ones walk, than Bradley may make a lot of sense.

We have to look at available dollars and what we do with talent/fit.

The team doesn't need another PG, what the team needs is a defensive big and a SF that can defend and score.
The problem right now is that other point guards are lighting us up. We need both those things that you mentioned but it's also possible that we end up needing a point guard too if GV continues to be unable to stop anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.