There is no topic

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
It sounds like Lahaina is essentially obliterated from the fire. Absolutely horrible. We were last there in 2012 and I've been wanting to go back. Now it's gone.

Maui Fires Burn Historic Lahaina | Weather.com

(5:12 p.m. ET) 'The businesses, the historic area, burned to the ground. Gone.'
A crew from Air Maui helicopters has gotten a first look from the air at the catastrophic damage in Lahaina. Here’s how pilot Richie Olsten, who has flown over Hawaii for 52 years, described the scene:

“It looked like a war zone, like an area that had just been bombed … And, it's just, I can't even put it in words, what, what we saw. So many people, hundreds of homes burned to the ground. People displaced, the whole Front Street of Lahaina … The businesses, the historic area, burned to the ground. Gone.”

See the video the crew shot here.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
This is probably the only time in my life I’ll ever say this but good job noted kings fan (because Vivek paid his appearance fee) Floyd Mayweather Jr.
https://x.com/nojumper/status/1689874355193532416?s=46&t=F0QdLwSmnj7UC8H8GGYnSw

So, apropos of...well, embedding tweets...it appears that any tweets (xweets?) with the "x.com" domain cannot be embedded. However, since "twitter.com" and "x.com" point to exactly the same place, embeds are still possible by replacing "x.com" with "twitter.com". This will definitely work, as above, with the embed media option (under the "ellipsis" drop down menu) or by directly pasting the "twitter.com" URL into the post.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
So, apropos of...well, embedding tweets...it appears that any tweets (xweets?) with the "x.com" domain cannot be embedded. However, since "twitter.com" and "x.com" point to exactly the same place, embeds are still possible by replacing "x.com" with "twitter.com". This will definitely work, as above, with the embed media option (under the "ellipsis" drop down menu) or by directly pasting the "twitter.com" URL into the post.
A Kings twitterer posited the theory that the change to X was rooted in forcing users to login with twitter accounts to interact with tweets, even to the point where the brand name X kills Google SEO dead is a feature not a bug. I wondered how long before he kills the API accordingly. But this is an interesting find.

Also I think Kings twitterer who was the only person I saw with this take must be a genius because it's just about the only thing about X that makes sense.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
I wondered how long before he kills the API accordingly. But this is an interesting find.
I'm pretty sure this particular issue isn't on the end of the Twitter/X API but on the site software on this side. Our software embed process screens the domain of the URL and recognizes "twitter.com" but doesn't recognize "x.com" even though they are the same thing.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I'm pretty sure this particular issue isn't on the end of the Twitter/X API but on the site software on this side. Our software embed process screens the domain of the URL and recognizes "twitter.com" but doesn't recognize "x.com" even though they are the same thing.
Possible but I still think the theory holds water. He's certainly made it harder to view tweets without having an account and being logged in. And as a fan of one of the three bands named "X", I've long been aware of how difficult it is to search on.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I got an upcoming shows from Live Nation email and half the concerts were at the "RV Inn Style Resorts Amphitheater" which makes me think about Power Balance Pavilion and leaves me wondering if anyone ever looks at a naming rights deal and says "you know, I think accepting this deal will kill our brand"?

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
That may or may not be the case -- I'm not very familiar with Michael Lewis' other work or what the context is for this comment -- but there's no question Moneyball or more specifically Paul DePodesta's devotion to On-Base Percentage over traditionally valued Batting Average and counting stats has completely transformed the business of baseball. I don't see how anyone could argue that the story expressed in that book is fabricated to make it more marketable. Taking a story about baseball statistics and turning into a hit book which garnered enough fans to also be made into a really good (and moderately successful) movie is already an artistic accomplishment worthy of critical praise but almost 20 years later it couldn't more obvious that the stat folks who were the subject of Moneyball have won a landslide victory over the old guard. So in this case at least the story checks out.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I was actually hoping some of the remnants of it would dump some decent rain in the NorCal Sierra Nevada mountains to fill up our reservoirs even more. Not sure how much they are actually getting, though.

I was actually hoping some of the remnants of it would dump some decent rain in the NorCal Sierra Nevada mountains to fill up our reservoirs even more. Not sure how much they are actually getting, though.
I thought most of the reservoirs in norcal were doing pretty well or at least at their average levels? I'll be driving to Yreka tomorrow so I'm curious to see what Shasta Lake looks like. It looked like the end of the world when I drove by it last year.

I'm hoping the rainstorm today and tomorrow put that fire out up near Yreka. 10,000+ acres and 0% containment. Sometimes rain is good for fires but other times it's bad because there isn't enough rain to help contain the fire while the lightning that accompanies it causes even more issues.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
I thought most of the reservoirs in norcal were doing pretty well or at least at their average levels?
Yes. Trinity is the only NorCal reservoir below historical averages right now; there's also one in SoCal very slightly below. The other 15 major reservoirs in California are above historical averages, and 13 of 17 are at 78%+ capacity. I don't know how much capacity is being reserved for any snow melt that might be left - at this point it's pretty late in the season, but we had a ton of snow this year.

https://cdec.water.ca.gov/resapp/RescondMain

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I got the proposed date for my car pickup today. It's in 3 weeks. Unfortunately that isn't "great" from a work schedule standpoint but it isn't the worst case scenario. So I am probably going to have to save SD and the Badlands for another time. If I can get ~10 days off the plan will be to take the southern route and visit friends/family in CA over the weekend otherwise I'll just probably go STL to KC and then Denver, Salt Lake, Boise, Portland. I have friends at all/most of these stops so it wouldn't suck but would not amount to much sight seeing.

Hopefully if I take the Southern Route I can at least do some stretch of Route 66 and/or see the Grand Canyon.

Have a meeting with my boss tomorrow so fingers crossed she says "take how long you need" but she's actually going to be out of the country during this time along with my lead colleague on the training side, so heaven knows what will happen. Also will have to miss two of kiddo's football games, which sucks. But that was always in play.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I successfully completed my road trip across the country in a new EV (my first, and also non-Tesla which makes a difference when it comes to the availability of charging networks). Total out of pocket on charging was about 10.50, and that's because I accidentally let the charge run a minute two long at two stations, was overcharged for one at another, and paid for one not "free" station in Oklahoma to the tune of $8.50.

The hotel bill was a little higher :D

The route I wound up taking was: Greenville, SC (BMW Performance Center Delivery) -> Nashville, TN -> Memphis, TN, -> OKC, OK -> Albuquerque, NM -> Kingman, AZ -> Orange, CA -> Sacramento, CA -> Ashland, OR -> Portland. 3500 miles in total.

Places I took time out to visit: Broadway, Johnny Cash Museum, Country Music Hall of Fame Museum (where I spent a surprising amount of time) in Nashville. Graceland ate up all of my Memphis visit, largely on account of staying longer than planned in Nashville. Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo Texas. New Mexico ... well I finally had a Whataburger and while I've never watched the show it was apparent as soon as I checked into my hotel that Breaking Bad was filmed there. I didn't stay long. Kingman, Arizona has a great Route 66 history museum, with a room dedicated to electric cars I thought was cool given the nature of my trip. Rest of the was was visiting family and friends/colleagues.

I wish I had more time to spend at certain places, but I did have to spend some time doing workstuff and I wanted to have some wiggle room for anything unexpected which meant not staying an extra day in Memphis. I'd have been more careful booking a hotel in Albuquerque but other than that all around it was a 10/10 and would do it again. I will say that I was shocked that my worst charging experiences were all in California.

found it odd that today there was a Halloween costume festival being held at a local park with train rides, DJs playing kid friendly music, inflated castle to jump in, etc. near my house with Halloween being 10 days away, I know it falls on a Tuesday but it's strange to do it so far in advance in my view

while we're on the topic, how many countries in the world celebrate Halloween other than the USA?

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Halloween is many people's favorite holiday given how many other holidays have been ruined by people who vocally express their displeasure about the reason for celebrating (sometimes this has merit but just take a day off and have a party your way?). Plus who doesn't love pumpkin stuff? So of course it has become a month long festival now. No surprise.