There is no spoon

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
“For the second time in a century, the world has turned on Austria’s greatest man, just because he tried something different.”

This went over the heads of most in the audience during a recent screening of Bruno.

In "Confessions of a Winning Poker Player," Jack King said, "Few players recall big pots they have won, strange as it seems, but every player can remember with remarkable accuracy the outstanding tough beats of his career." It seems true to me, cause walking in here, I can hardly remember how I built my bankroll, but I can't stop thinking of how I lost it

Not really a single quote, but an exchange between four characters in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (one of my favorite movies):

Harvey Logan: Guns or knives?
Butch Cassidy: Neither?
Harvey Logan: Pick.
Butch Cassidy: I don't want to shoot with you Harvey.
Harvey Logan: [draws a big knife] Anything you say, Butch.
[Butch walks over to Sundance]
Butch Cassidy: [in a low voice] Maybe there's a way to make a profit in this. Bet on Logan.
Sundance Kid: I would, but who'd bet on you?
Harvey Logan: Sundance, when we're done, and he's dead, you're welcome to stay.
Butch Cassidy: [low voice, to Sundance] Listen, I don't mean to be a sore loser, but when it's done, if I'm dead, kill him.
Sundance Kid: [low voice to Butch] Love to.
[waves to Harvey and smiles]
Butch Cassidy: No, no, not yet. Not until me and Harvey get the rules straightened out.
Harvey Logan: Rules? In a knife fight? No rules.
[Butch immediately kicks Harvey in the groin]
Butch Cassidy: Well, if there aint' going to be any rules, let's get the fight started. Someone count. 1,2,3 go.
Sundance Kid: [quickly] 1,2,3, go.
[Butch knocks Harvey out]
Flat Nose Curry: I was really rooting for you, Butch.
Butch Cassidy: Well, thank you, Flatnose. That's what sustained me in my time of trouble.

I loved the dialouge from the Evil Dead/Army of Darkness series:

For example, from Army of Darkness

Arthur: Are all men from the future loud-mouth braggarts?
Ash: Nope. Just me, baby... Just me.

Or

Bad Ash: [punching Ash] You're just a goody little two-shoes, a goody little two-shoes, a goody little two...

[Ash takes his gun and shoots Bad Ash in the face.]

Ash: Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Not really a single quote, but an exchange between four characters in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (one of my favorite movies):
That movie's so full of great lines.

Butch noting that the town bank is now covered with bars, shutters, security doors, etc.

Butch Cassidy: What happened to the old bank? It was beautiful.
Guard: People kept robbing it.
Butch Cassidy: Small price to pay for beauty.

Where were you two last year for the movie draft? I took that movie in the middling rounds with barely a squeak of a approval from anyone in the whole draft.

Masterpiece, though.

a quick couple from the Xfiles movie:

MULDER: I'm the key figure in an ongoing government charade, the plot to conceal the truth about the existence of extraterrestrials. It's a global conspiracy, actually, with key players in the highest levels of power, that reaches down into the lives of every man, woman, and child on this planet, so, of course, no one believes me. I'm an annoyance to my superiors, a joke to my peers. They call me Spooky. Spooky Mulder, whose sister was abducted by aliens when he was just a kid and who now chases after little green men with a badge and a gun, shouting to the heavens or to anyone who will listen that the fix is in, that the sky is falling and when it hits it's gonna be the ****-storm of all time.

BARMAID: Well... I say that about does it, Spooky.

MULDER: Whatever happened to playing a hunch, Scully? The element of surprise, random acts of unpredictability? If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced.

Where were you two last year for the movie draft? I took that movie in the middling rounds with barely a squeak of a approval from anyone in the whole draft.

Masterpiece, though.
I never got involved with any of the drafts, mostly because I'm not sure how they work, or if there's some kind of specific time commitment involved.

The Butch Cassidy quotes remind me of Tombstone: I'm your Huckleberry.
Tombstone is another excellent movie, and has a lot of the same black humor found in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

One of my favorite Tombstone Quotes (don't look if you haven't seen it):
Doc Holliday: [after killing Johnny Ringo] It would appear that the strain was more than he could bear.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I have tons of favorite lines from Monty Python and the Holy Grail, but this has to be close to the top of the list:

French Soldier: I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.
Sir Galahad: Is there someone else up there we can talk to?
French Soldier: No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time.

Hands down the movie ( or movies ) I quote the most is The Mighty Ducks series. ( D2 was the best :p )

This trilogy was greattttt. Some of the best quotes :

Lester Averman: Here with us, Greg Goldberg, goaltender for Team USA. Greg, what's it gonna take to beat these feisty Icelanders, tonight?

Goldberg: I think it will take a supreme individual effort, by me, Greg Goldberg.
Coach Bombay: What it is, it's a loafer. And we'll call it the Air-Bombay Loafer; "For kids who want to coach!"
Russ Tyler: Hey... Goldberg! I bet if that puck was a cheeseburger, you'd stop it!
Michele MacKay: Ancient Greece was the beginning of Western civilization. You see in Greece, they didn't have professional sports or Wheaties boxes, so the athletes competed for another reason. Anybody?
Goldberg: Philophles?

I could go all day .. .

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
OK, the tombstone ones mentioned previously, a lot of them from Airplane and Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and maybe those in my sig? ;)

Another one, from Fight Club:

Tyler Durden: "Man, I see in fight club the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see squandering. *** **** it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy **** we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off."

Lot's of other good ones from that movie, too.

This as an exchange, from Holly Grail:

King - Please! Please good people! I am in haste. Who lives in that castle?
Peasant 1 - No one lives there.
K - Then who is your lord?
P1 - We don't have a lord.
K - What?
Peasant 2 - I told you, we're an anarco-syndicalist commune. We take it in turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week. But all the decisions of that officer must be ratified at a special bi-weekly meeting; by a simple majority in the case of purely internal affairs-
K - Be quiet!
P2 - but by a two-thirds majority in the case of more serious-
K - Be quiet! I order you to be quiet!
P1 - Order, eh? Who does he think he is? Ha!
K - I am your king!
P1 - Well I didn't vote for you.

And this for just a quote, from Dr. Strangelove:

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the WAR Room!"

Forrest Gump: [in the Watergate hotel; on phone with security] Yeah, sir, you might want to send a maintenance man over to that office across the way. The lights are off, and they must be looking for a fuse box, 'cause them flashlights, they keep me awake.

---

Rain Man 1988 Raymond: [nervously reciting the who's on first skit] Who's on first, What's on second, I Don't Know is on third...

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
From Blazing Saddles:
[the Johnsons load their guns and point them at Bart (Cleavon Little). Bart then points his own pistol at his head]
Bart: [low voice] Hold it! Next man makes a move, the ****** gets it!
Olson Johnson: Hold it, men. He's not bluffing.
Dr. Sam Johnson: Listen to him, men. He's just crazy enough to do it!
Bart: [low voice] Drop it! Or I swear I'll blow this ******'s head all over this town!
Bart: [high-pitched voice] Oh, lo'dy, lo'd, he's desp'it! Do what he sayyyy, do what he sayyyy!
[Townspeople drop their guns. Bart jams the gun into his neck and drags himself through the crowd towards the station]
Harriet Johnson: Isn't anybody going to help that poor man?
Dr. Sam Johnson: Hush, Harriet! That's a sure way to get him killed!
Bart: [high-pitched voice] Oooh! He'p me, he'p me! Somebody he'p me! He'p me! He'p me! He'p me!
Bart: [low voice] Shut up!
[Bart places his hand over his own mouth, then drags himself through the door into his office]
Bart: Ooh, baby, you are so talented!
[looks into the camera]
Bart: And they are so *dumb*!