The Official "Lies the media is telling about the Kings" thread.

I thought it would be interesting to have a place to deposit the lies the media is telling about the Sacramento Kings. Most journalists know nothing about the Kings, so when they need to write something on them, they just recycle what someone else wrote on the Internet... but they don't fact check their work.

It is one thing to write a rumor like "I hear the Kings offered Tobias Harris a max deal" and have it be untrue;

It's a whole other thing (a thing called a lie) to say "The Kings offered Tobias Harris a max deal."

It's even worse (called an unwarranted assumption fallacy) to say "The Kings offered Tobias Harries a max deal and he spurned them for less money to play elsewhere."

The five principals of journalism are: Truth and Accuracy, Independence, Fairness and Impartiality, Humanity, and Accountability... The people writing these stories are clearly not journalist, but a hype-men trying to sell something ala Flavor Flav... but Flavor Flav told the truth.

List them if you got them.

Let's name names:

Fred Katz - Fox Sports
Mark Berman - NY Post

Last edited:
http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/...10154082815894552&adbpl=fb&adbpr=112638779551

Players added: Willie Cauley-Stein, Rajon Rondo, Kosta Koufos, Marco Belinelli

Players lost: Ray McCallum, Nik Stauskas, Carl Landry, Jason Thompson, Derrick Williams

Offseason review: The Kings cleared cap space thinking they could bring in some big names with it. Unfortunately, the draft picks they gave up to create that room weren't worth it. Sacramento saw Andrea Bargnani, Monta Ellis, Wesley Matthews, Corey Brewer, Tobias Harris and Patrick Beverley all reportedly turn down offers from the Kings to take less money from other teams.

2014-15 season outlook: The Kings probably will be better than they were last year, but it would be an upset to see them in the postseason. Bringing in floor-scrunchers to surround DeMarcus Cousins, who needs space to operate in the middle of the floor, isn't the way to go when you have the best post scorer in the league, and the tension between him and coach George Karl is an awkward way to start the year.

GRADE: D
— Fred Katz

Fred Katz did say "reportedly" but talk about misleading!

In free agency, the Kings, according to a source, made a maximum offer to restricted free agent Tobias Harris of Long Island, who eventually returned to the Magic. The Kings used their cap space to sign point guard Rajon Rondo, shooting guards Marco Bellinelli and Caron Butler, center Kosta Koufos, and to re-sign Israeli forward Omri Casspi.
http://nypost.com/2015/07/16/knicks-bid-for-derrick-williams-upside-was-too-rich-for-us-karl/
Mark Berman of the New York Post used "according to a source"... too bad we all know that this is not true already...

The Kings have had a rough offseason, trading away draft picks so they could clear cap space and sign some big names. But reported offers to Wes Matthews, Tobias Harris, Corey Brewer, Patrick Beverley, Andrea Bargnaniand Monta Ellis never worked out. All six took less money to sign elsewhere, and the Kings were left signing secondary and tertiary options. It should've been a regrettable decision when it happened. It's even worse now.
http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/...-wearing-virtual-reality-goggles-photo-071415

Unnamed Fox Sports Writer - Fancy they don't even put their names on it.

And this one actually lies saying "all six too less money to sign elsewhere".

I would not put it past Cousins' agent (Fegan) to be the ringleader here in the parade of agents sliming the Kings organization.

This is part of his (and their) retribution for Vlade telling him to shove it ; "Cousins isn't going anywhere".

This bad press through leaks and "sources" is the cost Vlade paid for not backing down to Fegan's demands, and it is an attempt by the other agents to put a chilling effect to other franchises who dare do the same thing in the future. They want to keep their power, and expand it if possible.
These tactics are part of that power play in the modern NBA social media and "sports news" landscape.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
...This bad press through leaks and "sources" is the cost Vlade paid for not backing down to Fegan's demands, and it is an attempt by the other agents to put a chilling effect to other franchises who dare do the same thing in the future. They want to keep their power, and expand it if possible.

These tactics are part of that power play in the modern NBA social media and "sports news" landscape.
While you might be right, it's almost laughable for the simple reason they're doing such a poor job of it.

We all should understand that agents are sleazy, but at what point did the media just agree to go to print with any nonsense they hear?

Add Scott Howard-Cooper to the list. The Jason Levien story appears to be completely false.

This thread is kinda whinny.....
If the national media was trashing your Jazz like this I'm sure you'd be aggravated. It's a sore point because the disrespect shown to the small market Kings can be directly connected to the reasons why the Kings got cheated out of a championship in 2002 because of favoritism toward a big market team. As a supporter of another small market team I would think you would understand that.

I'm surprised more NBA players don't fire their agents.
Thing is, it IS a dirty business. And it's the agents job to work in that realm, and if player can have an agent that does that for them, and make them money, then that is a win. The stank associated with agents almost never transfers to a player. I suppose that is also part of the agents job. Do the dirty work, quietly, and make the player (and yourself) a crap ton of money.

The NBA is a gold rush right now for any player mid level talent or above, basically any rotation player. They know it might not last forever, but damn is there a lot of money in the NBA right now, and it's only going to grow in the next few years. Just wait till free agency 2017. That is going to be insane. Next year, yes, But even more so the following year, because the precedent will have been set so high by the 2016 free agency, and teams will have even more money, and some teams will likely be gunning for that offseason anyway, not all teams shoot for capspace in the same year. So the teams that have capspace will have a crap TON of it, and there market will already have been set SKY HIGH by the previous offseason. Get ready to see some crazy dollar amounts.

Unfortunately media has become very sensationalist. Rating is all that counts. That way they will make themselves useless in the long run. Concerning the Kings, I don't care what they write. I wait for the results on the floor. The better the results, the funnier the reports of these writers will look. I'm confident that the coming season will make a serious impact in the Western Conference.

If the national media was trashing your Jazz like this I'm sure you'd be aggravated. It's a sore point because the disrespect shown to the small market Kings can be directly connected to the reasons why the Kings got cheated out of a championship in 2002 because of favoritism toward a big market team. As a supporter of another small market team I would think you would understand that.
The National Media did trash (or more importantly not even mention) the Jazz when they were terrible. You would have to go all the way back to last year to find such articles. The thing is, the Jazz haven't been as bad as the Kings have been since before coming to Utah. I know this isn't news to Kings fans but the Kings have been a circus both on and off the court for the last half dozen years or so. The Jazz have been to the playoffs 5 out of the last 10 years. By comparison the Kings have been once.....ten years ago.

My point wasn't to point out how much better the Jazz are than the Kings. My point was that it is a waste of energy to whine about not getting positive media attention and that thinking that there is a grand conspiracy out there to keep Sacramento down is silly.

If you are bad don't expect the media to sit around and wait to find reasons to be optimistic for the upcoming year. Fans do this and it is what keeps us coming back. The roster changes look to be positive. They all look like good decisions and calculated gambles that have a good chance of paying off. Until they do I wouldn't expect too much optimism from the national media.

On the bright side, you get to watch them play....

I think what is hard about the media, is that it is the FANS that matter... not the players or the coaches or the owners or the media... it is the FANS or, as you could write it FAN$; because they drive all the money. So when the fans are required to have an optimistic viewpoint and the media just bring out the sensationalist hammer and lies, something doesn't add up. The media is there to give me, the fan, what I want and I want fact-based, unbiased sports news.

I think what is hard about the media, is that it is the FANS that matter... not the players or the coaches or the owners or the media... it is the FANS or, as you could write it FAN$; because they drive all the money. So when the fans are required to have an optimistic viewpoint and the media just bring out the sensationalist hammer and lies, something doesn't add up. The media is there to give me, the fan, what I want and I want fact-based, unbiased sports news.
I don't think the media has a bias against us... I think that they have a really bad yet unbiased image of the Kings organization.

I think that almost any poster here will agree that this franchise wasn't exactly a model for how to do things right... and where many of us kings fans see change- the media is not so eager to join in on the optimism.

The criticisms about Rondo didn't start when he came for Sacramento, and the Koufos signing for example recieved very positive review by the national media.

The off-season grades are traditionaly lazy columns, but they did mentioned we got better as a team... I think our negative grades on this pieces is driven by the fact the media (and many here too) see these moves as giving up assets to get better know and supports the idea that we need to get to the playoffs to keep Cousins:
In that regard I think in many people eyes this season became "playoffs or bust" and because the national media doesn't see us as having a chance to get to the playoffs the grades are going to be bad.

If we will win enough that sentiment will change in the media, but I won't expect it to change anytime before that...

And it's not like we are not giving them stuff to work with- from Karl's statements to Cousins cryptic tweet to Malone verifying negative rumors (4 on 5 for example) to Vlade's honesty (verifying the Karl-Cousins rumors) and of course the overall ridiculousness of Vivek's behaviour and statements... so let's stop focusing on the media and just... hang loose.

This one from Zach Lowe today cracked me up: "Karl loves Lawson, but he’s not calling the shots in Sacramento, and the Kings just dealt all their best stuff to Philly."

So Stauskas went from a "bust," to a "good player we shouldn't give up for nothing" to "our best stuff." I suppose he is talking about the 2018 lottery protected draft pick as some of our "best stuff," or the swap rights as "our best stuff," but I think Boogie, Gay, DC, Ben, etc... would be surprised to learn Nik and a lottery protected pick are our "best stuff."