The Kings are 29th in free throw percentage.

This has been frustrating to watch the whole season. Some players complain they don't get fouls called. But when they do they usually miss one of the free-throws. If we make the playoffs, making free throws will be the difference between winning and losing. That and good defence.

Another small issue. Is it just me or are we really bad at tip offs and jump balls?

I think the bigger issue is that we're not getting too many reps at the line...We're only averaging somewhere around 22-23 FTA/game. If we were to get more reps, I think the % will increase over time.

I'm not too concerned at our low %. At least not as much as others may be. We still have time before the end of game 82 during which we can improve.

Here's what I did as a kid to become a very good free throw shooter: shot a huge amount of free throws.

Look I get these guys are dealing with tossing 250lb bodies around and then have to focus on fine motor skills to shoot a free throw. But can anyone tell me how this isn't a fixable problem by simply doing a massive number of reps? It's not like it tires you out and you build up lactic acid that interferes with recovery.

I've been at a loss for 45 ish years as to why all pro players aren't 90%+

Here's what I did as a kid to become a very good free throw shooter: shot a huge amount of free throws.

Look I get these guys are dealing with tossing 250lb bodies around and then have to focus on fine motor skills to shoot a free throw. But can anyone tell me how this isn't a fixable problem by simply doing a massive number of reps? It's not like it tires you out and you build up lactic acid that interferes with recovery.

Some of it is paying attention to the small details. I'll tell one thing I don't like about Fox' details at the line. He tends to back off the line as the ball is on it's way. You'll notice that most of all the great shooters, hold their balance on the line.

Some of it is paying attention to the small details. I'll tell one thing I don't like about Fox' details at the line. He tends to back off the line as the ball is on it's way. You'll notice that most of all the great shooters, hold their balance on the line.
Nash in particular was totally mechanical on his follow through... with form, balance, eyes, all of it.

I don't recall Reggie Miller or Larry Bird losing their balance at all either.

Nash in particular was totally mechanical on his follow through... with form, balance, eyes, all of it.

I don't recall Reggie Miller or Larry Bird losing their balance at all either.
Yes. Backing away or leaning away from the line is usually a subconscious move to keep the shot from going long. A fade away type move does work to take something off a shot, but it doesn't help your % in the long run from the line. Basically the odds of shooting 85+% over a large sample are not good, if you're off balance.....and what you do immediately after the release is an indication of something that started during the release

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member

More reps in games would be nice refs.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Sabonis takes too long to shoot and Fox shoots it too quick but that's just my point of view. The likes of Barnes, Monk and Murray, I'd imagine they would be solid free throw shooters

Kings are streak shooters. If they fall, they're falling, if they don't, watch out. Even stars like Fox and Sabonis don't shoot free throw well. Huerter is the definition of a streak shooter. Malik and Barnes and possibly Keegan are the only one that show any sign of consistency.

This has been frustrating to watch the whole season. Some players complain they don't get fouls called. But when they do they usually miss one of the free-throws. If we make the playoffs, making free throws will be the difference between winning and losing. That and good defence.
I know we all have varying experiences as KINGS fans, in terms of how long we’ve been following the team, but I believe the masses of long term fans will back me up when I say that free throws have plagued this franchise since it’s been in Sacramento.

The beloved 1998 - 2006 era teams had the the same problem, specifically in big games. Unfortunately, this is nothing new. But just as maddening as ever.

I know we all have varying experiences as KINGS fans, in terms of how long we’ve been following the team, but I believe the masses of long term fans will back me up when I say that free throws have plagued this franchise since it’s been in Sacramento.

The beloved 1998 - 2006 era teams had the the same problem, specifically in big games. Unfortunately, this is nothing new. But just as maddening as ever.
No, no. I refuse to believe this will continue in big moments. I trust Fox more than any Kings player we've ever had

85er here. Can confirm.

I think Fox missing at the line maybe a result of lacking any sort of ritual. Some guys always do certain things before they shoot to help temper their minds I guess. But Fox doesn't do any but simply bounce and shoot. Maybe it helps if he do some ritual...like wipe hands on jersey before every shot. You can tell he can be a great ft shooter because if he miss one...he most likely make the second. That tells me there's a lack of concentration or patient at the line.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
The diff between the best team's FT%*FTA and the worst amounts to a bit under 3 points per game.
As of today, that number is 2.8 points per game. Interestingly, we are taking exactly the same number of FTs per game (22.9) as the best shooting team (OKC).

That 2.8 points per game would move our margin of victory from -0.23 (19th in the NBA) to +2.57 (t-8th in the NBA) and would move our team ORtg from 13th to 7th.

As of today, that number is 2.8 points per game. Interestingly, we are taking exactly the same number of FTs per game (22.9) as the best shooting team (OKC).

That 2.8 points per game would move our margin of victory from -0.23 (19th in the NBA) to +2.57 (t-8th in the NBA) and would move our team ORtg from 13th to 7th.
Yeah it's a ton. A big problem is HBs FTrate has fallen off a cliff this year. Nearly 20% less than last year. And he's an elite FT shooter.

Domas and Fox are the only guys who draw any fouls and are fairly inconsistent game to game. That's why we still draw a decent amount, but shoot poorly

In terms of impact on W-L, maybe we get one more win (vs GSW) if our team were excellent from the line instead of terrible