The Gerbil

It's why I didn't really understand all that backlash PDA got pretty much up until the point where we started playing well this season. Every new coach/FO deserves a few years to put their plan in place and see if it works. We're seeing much earlier success than I would have expected, but a lot of it is the role player contributions we're getting out of DC, JT, Ben, Omri and Landry this year. Along with full healthy year of Rudy and Cuz, it's turned us into having a really strong 7-man rotation, which is about all you can ask for with most rosters.

I personally didn't expect Omri to play this well, but I believe I voted "great" on rating the move simply because he had learned how to be a role player last season for Houston. He's changed his game here to being a slashing scorer, rather than a Small-ball PF with Houston, but that same energy on the defensive end and getting after boards was stuff he was doing last year.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I object to calling it a complete inability. It takes two (or more) to tango. I'm pretty sure the FO is even more aware than we are of the need for an adequate backup 5. It's not an easy position to fill - as other GMs are not blind to our deficiencies and are not willing to part with anyone we could actually use.
Yes it takes two to tango, although that doesn't apply so much when Robin Lopez comes our way in a trade, fills a hole and we ship him to Portland for nothing. There were also a few backup center candidates available this summer but most of the rumors surrounding player acquisition surrounded guards and leaned towards the offensive end of the floor. We even reportedly offered Jordan Crawford a contract.

And really, this FO has had two summers and one Feb deadline to plug the backup center hole and we're worse off than at any time since I became a Kings fan in 94. Have we ever had a squad where we ran out undersized 4's at center on a nightly basis, in Reggie and Landry? And with Carl at the 5, we're usually also undersized at the 4. It's been Carl/Reggie and recently Carl/DWill. And plenty of others teams, small markets included, have plugged that hole in the same time frame we haven't. And while most aren't too high on him, I maintain that Fesenko would have given us more than anyone we're running out at backup center, he lost a fair amount of weight this summer, went through an NBA training camp and really wanted back in the league. He's now playing in Russia. He also wasn't the only choice. Guys like

Biedrins
Mullens
Mbenga
Gray
Ndiaye

are all available and at the least are physically capable of stacking up against NBA size centers and offering a defensive presence down low better than anything Carl or Reggie will offer. I'm not even that concerned with "fit" at this point. Just give me a legit 7 footer who'll use his 3 fouls per half, contest some shots and offer a presence down low. At the same time, there's evidence a backup center just isn't valued by Malone or our FO. Hollins hasn't got half a decent look this year while we get pummeled inside when Cuz sits. And that very well could cost us later this season as we've lost games due our bench getting overrun at the rim whenever Cuz sits. It's actually somewhat remarkable our starters regain momentum and finish out games with the defensive performance of our bench a number of times.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I agree on the subject of back up center. I've been hammering the same idea. I still say that Chris Kaman would look good sitting on our bench instead of Hollins, who is more image than substance. And Kaman was available this past summer. Not that it had to be him, but he at least is a guy your not afraid to put out on the floor when Cuz takes a breather, and someone you could live with for a while if Cuz ever had to miss some games. I also agree that down the road, unless this problem is addressed, it could be the difference between making the playoffs of not.

I also agree about finding middle ground. It seems that what ever the subject is, a general manager, a player etc. they're either horrible, or great. If someone wants to criticize a player, he's a scrub and should be sent to the D-League, or traded. Coming out of summer league, McLemore sucked and Stauskas should be given the starting job. Now Stauskas sucks, and McLemore is great. Sometimes, it boggles the mind.
Some are over the top in analysis of players, I was too with Ben last year. At the same time, no backup center is something which has hurt this team for awhile now and in the Western Conference it's borderline inexcusable not to have one if playoffs are a serious goal. I wish we had an actual backup center to argue about but we don't. Instead we're watching Carl and Reggie attempt to fill that role which is an unfair position to put them in.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Yes it takes two to tango, although that doesn't apply so much when Robin Lopez comes our way in a trade, fills a hole and we ship him to Portland for nothing. There were also a few backup center candidates available this summer but most of the rumors surrounding player acquisition surrounded guards and leaned towards the offensive end of the floor. We even reportedly offered Jordan Crawford a contract.

And really, this FO has had two summers and one Feb deadline to plug the backup center hole and we're worse off than at any time since I became a Kings fan in 94. Have we ever had a squad where we ran out undersized 4's at center on a nightly basis, in Reggie and Landry? And with Carl at the 5, we're usually also undersized at the 4. It's been Carl/Reggie and recently Carl/DWill. And plenty of others teams, small markets included, have plugged that hole in the same time frame we haven't. And while most aren't too high on him, I maintain that Fesenko would have given us more than anyone we're running out at backup center, he lost a fair amount of weight this summer, went through an NBA training camp and really wanted back in the league. He's now playing in Russia. He also wasn't the only choice. Guys like

Biedrins
Mullens
Mbenga
Gray
Ndiaye

are all available and at the least are physically capable of stacking up against NBA size centers and offering a defensive presence down low better than anything Carl or Reggie will offer. I'm not even that concerned with "fit" at this point. Just give me a legit 7 footer who'll use his 3 fouls per half, contest some shots and offer a presence down low. At the same time, there's evidence a backup center just isn't valued by Malone or our FO. Hollins hasn't got half a decent look this year while we get pummeled inside when Cuz sits. And that very well could cost us later this season as we've lost games due our bench getting overrun at the rim whenever Cuz sits. It's actually somewhat remarkable our starters regain momentum and finish out games with the defensive performance of our bench a number of times.
What I'm seeing the court this year is an actual team instead of what we saw last year. Maybe I'm mellowing with age, but I'm willing to give Pete a little more time to make all the corrections to take us deep into the playoffs. ;)

Biedrins
Mullens
Mbenga
Gray
Ndiaye

There has to be more to the Robin Lopez trade that we don't know about. I don't think Pete saw Robin Lopez and said "yuck a defensive center" and promptly shipped him off to portland. I don't believe for one second the FO and malone don't value a backup center because Ndiaye and Gray were part of the team last year. The reason they're not anymore is because they aren't very good. Biedrins hasn't been anything near an a decent player in the nba since 2010. The Kings courted Mullens in the off-season, so they did try to find a better option than Hollins.

Some are over the top in analysis of players, I was too with Ben last year. At the same time, no backup center is something which has hurt this team for awhile now and in the Western Conference it's borderline inexcusable not to have one if playoffs are a serious goal. I wish we had an actual backup center to argue about but we don't. Instead we're watching Carl and Reggie attempt to fill that role which is an unfair position to put them in.
We're only in year 2. When Pete took over, this team had PG problems, SF problems, PF problems and lack of bench depth. I certainly didn't expect him to fill all the holes of a sub 30 win team in a year and a half.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
There has to be more to the Robin Lopez trade that we don't know about. I don't think Pete saw Robin Lopez and said "yuck a defensive center" and promptly shipped him off to portland.
No, I think the reality was that D'Alessandro saw Lopez as a contract that would eat up $5 million in cap room that he had earmarked for a splashy signing. He'd already pulled the offer to Iguodala at that point but I'm guessing he had other targets that in his mind would be a better use of the money than Lopez as a backup to Cuz.

I don't agree with that line of thought but its my best guess as to the reasoning.

Last edited:
Why does Randy Moss smoke pot? I have no idea.
There's a very obvious answer to that. Though it really shouldn't apply to any professional athlete. The same way drinking any alcoholic drink shouldn't apply.

That's mean seriously, btw, should anyone think I'm being smarmy. Place and a time for this stuff, but if I'm being paid millions to be an athlete, show some commitment.

PDA and our FO have made some moves which have obviously been great. Rudy tops the list along with Collison. Ben is looking like a legit threat to develop into quite a good player for us. Omri was a steal, the steal of the offseason IMO.

However, our FO's complete inability to address the backup center spot is quite a blemish on their record, one which may ultimately cost us down the road this year. If you believe we're a playoff team and if the FO/ownership believes this is a playoff team which will be judged on wins/losses, not addressing our defense up front when Cuz is off the floor in shocking negligence. We're still playing Carl at backup center and that was after playing Reggie at backup center.

And while Carl has had a real bounce back year and has helped us, paying Carl and DWill a combined 13M while not having a defensive presence up front is a glaring mistake, a mistake this FO is accountable for.

Too many try to make this a black and white scenario(which is an issue I just commented on in another thread as well, is there any middle ground around here?) where you either praise PDA/our FO or eat crow. He and our FO have done some good, they've also done some bad. They've built a good core going forward in Cuz/Rudy/DC/Ben-have to re-sign Omri, and they've also hurt the supporting cast with highly questionable decisions. Some holes might be fixed in Feb, or maybe they won't. We're clearly moving in the right direction though and are impressing across the league.
For us a back up C is probably a more difficult player to get than for a lot of other teams. Unless that player can play with Cousins (i.e. Guard PFs as well as Cs) they are not going to get a lot of playing time with us and at that point for a 12-15mpg player, Hollins might be fine.

I think the trick and difficulty for us is to find a C that can also play a great deal of time with Cousins as well as back him up. That player needs to be able to guard both front court positions equally well. Think of Dalembert type in Cousins' rookie year. I think it just might be a case of Malone actually playing JT and Hollins more as back up Cs than going with Landry but I suspect that Williams is getting showcased a bit hence, some "shorter" front court minutes.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I don't consider the door slammed shut on Sessions and Ray.
I'm done with Sessions. His abysmal play is an anchor the rest of the bench has to drag around. Ray is a different matter. I'd like to see him get more minutes, but I'm torn with thinking there's a good reason Malone isn't doing that yet.

I'm done with Sessions. His abysmal play is an anchor the rest of the bench has to drag around. Ray is a different matter. I'd like to see him get more minutes, but I'm torn with thinking there's a good reason Malone isn't doing that yet.
The big mystery is what exactly is that reason? He was their pick. He's been nothing but an outstanding teammate. He played well and showed signs of potential in last years preseason, let alone this years. He sat on the bench for 3/4 of last season, but played well toward the end of the season...when he got a chance.

He played well in Summer League. He made a game winning play in this years preseason. He made the defensive play of the game in Phoenix, on an outstanding closeout on "IT", after he had not played a single second of that game up to that point. Malone went to him as his defensive stopper when IT entered the game...Ray delivered.

If this is where he stands with the current play of Sessions so far,...I can't imagine what his chances of getting some playing time would have been...if Sessions had played just a little below 'average'. I guess non existent for the season, without any injuries? It doesn't make any sense o_O