Temple Traded for Ben McLemore and Deyonte Davis (merged)

From what I can gather the "cash considerations" should be close enough to the amount needed to buy them both out. So then the Kings basically opened up 2 rosters spots and saved like 6 or 7 million. Which means they could now absorb a very large contract.

We shall see. I just hope this is a chess move and not a hangman move.
It’s has got to be the prelude to another move. Nothing else makes much sense.

Ok. So we traded out one of vets that can actually play some small forward for a shooting guard and another center/power forward.

Something has to be brewing.

There was obviously some urgency to clear some cap space here. We best be getting some 1st round draft picks or a starting small forward in any trades here.

Something (good, I hope :)) is going down very soon.

I for one like it. A second rounder was really all we could get for a journeyman like Temple.

Whatever the case, it removes a logjam at the wing and the coach's second favorite player. Ben and Davis are just going to ride the end of the bench as 12th and 13th men, so who cares.
What logjam at wing??? We just became thinner at our weakest spot and deeper at our deepest. I can only assume another trade is coming.

Capella is the only fa left worth the money but definitely not a need given our roster construction. Not sure what Vlade and co are up to here?

dude12

Hall of Famer
Stuff you read about Temple before this trade:
WTH do we still have Temple?
If we are giving Temple playing time, Joerger needs to be fired
Temple couldn’t make a shot if he was standing on a ladder next to the rim looking down at the rim

Stuff you read about Temple after the trade:
People are sleeping on Memphis adding Temple and Anderson
Temple going to start next to Conley and Anderson
Memphis having a great offseason and now adds Temple

Sigh.

I'm not mad at this. I don't think playing Buddy/Bogdan 27 mpg was really helping either of them and Temple got in the way. Playing them both 32-34mpg should be the goal.

If this leads to some sort of Otto Porter trade ill be incredibly happy.

I've been saying WCS/Skal/Jackson for Porter.

Giles/Koufos/Davis
Bagley/Randolph
Porter/Shump
Bogdan/Buddy
Fox/Mason

I could support this.

Most likely is another something coming, but I like this deal as it stands

Davis
2021 2nd rounder
-One less body to take minutes from Buddy/Bogdan/JJ.

all for a guy whose been declining for several seasons, despite what Zach Lowe might tell you.
By all accounts, it seems like they would have rather he had just not taken his player option for the coming season. Once he did, they found a way to move him.

I think there are enough young guys on the team right now that are ready to step up into leadership positions. As a stabling locker room presence, I think Temple's value here is much less than it was two years ago.

dude12

Hall of Famer
By all accounts, it seems like they would have rather he had just not taken his player option for the coming season. Once he did, they found a way to move him.

I think there are enough young guys on the team right now that are ready to step up into leadership positions. As a stabling locker room presence, I think Temple's value here is much less than it was two years ago.
I believe that Giles is going to be the alpha dog on this team....possibly right now.

gunks

Hall of Famer
If this is just to clear capspace to make a ridiculous offer to Rodney Hood or Clint Capela I'm going to be really angry.

If it's to clear capspace to help facilitate a trade that lands the Kings draft pick(s) and/or prospects then I'll be happy.

If it's really just a trade to bring back Ben McLemore I'll be incredibly confused.
I'm banking on the first option (probably Hood, dunno why we'd go after Clint).

but why? at least now Temple won't be taking up Buddy's nor Bogdan's minutes.
Exactly. JJ too. And you get a low-level prospect in Davis and a future 2nd that has a chance to be good in 2021 with how old Conley/Gasol are getting.

This is honestly one of the first deals Vlade has made that actually makes sense for a rebuild. Clear minutes for the young guys we want playing, pick up a future pick, collect a young asset. As low level as all of these things are in this deal, it's a step in the right direction.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Exactly. JJ too. And you get a low-level prospect in Davis and a future 2nd that has a chance to be good in 2021 with how old Conley/Gasol are getting.

This is honestly one of the first deals Vlade has made that actually makes sense for a rebuild. Clear minutes for the young guys we want playing, pick up a future pick, collect a young asset. As low level as all of these things are in this deal, it's a step in the right direction.
I mean, if this is the end game, then cool. But Vlade loves throwing those giant offers out.

I actually would be fine without a major FA aquisition. Gotta let the kids grow, but this may just be a precursor to a larger move.

The off-season wizardry of Vlade continues. Temple was a shot-happy bricklayer and declining defender. At 32 he was going to add nothing next season. Bye! We all know about Ben and his foibles but no one can convince me he is not equal or better to G-Leaguer Jackson. Aren't they the same age too? We may not even keep him but Ben can run faster and jump higher and will bomb his three shot at same accuracy rate (low 30s). What does Jackson do better besides interview? Nothing! Ben can at least run the floor with Fox. Jackson can't. This move also gives us 1M in cap space to trade WCS to the Rockets and MAX out Capella. We need to make a run at Capella to solve our D and rebounding issues. Make it happen, Vlade.

The smarter thing to do would be to leverage taking on Ryan Anderson for 2 years into Houston's 2020 and 2022 1st round picks and another 2nd next year. What choice would the Rockets have? Capela reportedly isn't happy with the offer he's gotten from them and they need CP3/Harden/Capela all on the same page if they want a repeat of last year. It's such a good leverage spot for us: either we offer all our cap to Capela, put Houston into mega cap hell OR they can maintain a reasonable cap while bringing their core back AND getting rid of their most worthless contract. Freeing up Anderson too would let them add to their core this year and next.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Honestly I'm thrilled with this move. Don't get me wrong, I love Temple as a locker room community guy, but I can't stand him as a player.

And did I mention, MCBEN!!!
(I really hope they don't just waive him)

Capella is the only fa left worth the money but definitely not a need given our roster construction. Not sure what Vlade and co are up to here?
Adding Capella would be a great idea if we simultaneously unload Willie. It would be a HUGE upgrade. These guys are same age. One talks a great game. One let's his play do the talking:

Total Rebound Rate:
Capella 22.2%
Willie 14.2%

Defense Rebound Rate:
Capella 30.8%
Willie 22%

True Shooting
Capella 65%
Willie 53%

Block Shot Rate
Capella 5.7%
Willie 3.1%

Net Rating
Capella +25
Willie -2

The off-season wizardry of Vlade continues. Temple was a shot-happy bricklayer and declining defender. At 32 he was going to add nothing next season. Bye! We all know about Ben and his foibles but no one can convince me he is not equal or better to G-Leaguer Jackson. Aren't they the same age too? We may not even keep him but Ben can run faster and jump higher and will bomb his three shot at same accuracy rate (low 30s). What does Jackson do better besides interview? Nothing! Ben can at least run the floor with Fox. Jackson can't. This move also gives us 1M in cap space to trade WCS to the Rockets and MAX out Capella. We need to make a run at Capella to solve our D and rebounding issues. Make it happen, Vlade.
I want Capella! He's a killer and he's just 24 years old. His defense would take quite a bit of pressure off of Giles and Bagley.