TDOS Tropical Island IPOD Cover Draft - Round 20

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
good thing I am paranoid apparently

but you've got like 200 other options. you'll live. :p
Here's the thing about cover songs - very few of them are really rockin'. I mean unless you consider the countless number of hard core/thrash versions of bubble gum pop tunes.

I'll have to dip deeper into the stash than I figured so I have a couple songs that legitimately rock on my list.

Keeping it up tempo, lets add some flamenco to the island. With my 3rd selection, I choose:

Hotel California - Gipsy Kings (1988) Gipsy Kings

Original: Hotel California - Eagles (1977) Hotel California

I'm a fan of the Big Lebowski, and this cover was made famous by the larger than life character of "The Jesus", played by John Tuturo in this movie. This song is the background for the scene introducing his character, and is an excellent filler for many a mix tape :)

More: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotel_California_(song)

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
I am forever a country boy, I do enjoy myself some swamp rock...but unfortunately I find this version to be slightly superior

I heard it through the grapevine - Marvin Gaye (1968)

Single by Marvin Gaye
from the album In the Groove
B-side "You're What's Happening (in the World Today)"
Released October 30, 1968
Format 7" single
Recorded February 3, 8, 13, 15, & April 10, 1967
Hitsville USA (Studio A)
(Detroit, Michigan)
Genre Psychedelic soul
Length 3:16

Original- Smokey Robinson & the Miracles (1966)

"I Heard It Through the Grapevine" is a song written by Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong for Motown Records in 1966, and made famous by Marvin Gaye in a single released in October 1968 on Motown's Tamla label.
Originally recorded by Smokey Robinson & the Miracles in 1966, that version was rejected by Motown owner Berry Gordy who told Whitfield and Strong to make it stronger. After recording the song with Marvin Gaye in 1967, which Gordy also rejected, Whitfield produced a version with Gladys Knight & the Pips, which Gordy agreed to release as a single in September 1967, and which went to number two in the Billboard chart.

Oh and Here is a fun commercial from Levi's featuring a verison of this song!

El Pajasso is now on the clock :)

Last edited:
Soul is when you take a song and make it a part of you — a part that's so true, so real, people think it must have happened to you. … It's like electricity — we don't really know what it is, do we? But it's a force that can light a room. Soul is like electricity, like a spirit, a drive, a power.
-- Ray Charles ~ As quoted in LIFE magazine (July 1966)

I see myself sitting on that island, listening to this song, relaxing, dreaming of ...
and always remember that Ray Charles = GENIUS

Georgia on my mind - Ray Charles (1960) The Genius Hits the Road
-- a 1930 song by Hoagy Carmichael and Stuart Gorrell (Wikipedia)

Next up is Capt. Factorial

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I've got a handful of covers on my list where I really feel like the artist did something unique with the song - and they're dropping like flies. I really don't know if this song would make it several rounds or if it would get snapped up soon, but seeing as it's featured in "Juno" I can't risk it.

Superstar by Sonic Youth (1994)

Originally written by Bonnie Bramlett and Leon Russell, originally recorded by Delanie & Bonney, 1969.

The original song is a bit of a hopeless piece about a groupie with unrealistic expectations, but it's commonly known for a pretty saccharine treatment, and while this song was ever-present in my house as I was growing up, I never really put the lyrics together. I always figured as a kid that though the singer was sad, things would work out eventually. In my head, it was a "separated lovers" song. Then I heard the Sonic Youth cover and it turned the whole song upside down. Sonic Youth even takes it another step to the sinister, leaving it somewhere between "deluded groupie" and "creepy stalker". I love it when a cover makes me look at a song in a whole new way, and that's why this song gets so much play in my rotation, and now on my island.

Dime Dropper is on the clock.

I've got a handful of covers on my list where I really feel like the artist did something unique with the song - and they're dropping like flies. I really don't know if this song would make it several rounds or if it would get snapped up soon, but seeing as it's featured in "Juno" I can't risk it.
It was on my list. For some reason though I figured it would still be there in the middle of the draft.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Soul is when you take a song and make it a part of you — a part that's so true, so real, people think it must have happened to you. … It's like electricity — we don't really know what it is, do we? But it's a force that can light a room. Soul is like electricity, like a spirit, a drive, a power.
-- Ray Charles ~ As quoted in LIFE magazine (July 1966)

I see myself sitting on that island, listening to this song, relaxing, dreaming of ...
and always remember that Ray Charles = GENIUS

Georgia on my mind - Ray Charles (1960) The Genius Hits the Road
-- a 1930 song by Hoagy Carmichael and Stuart Gorrell (Wikipedia)

Next up is Capt. Factorial
another song I had no idea was a cover

OK, crisis averted. Had a mini heart attack when both Heard It Through The Grapevine and Georgia On My Mind went two out of the last three. But Capt. was good to me, and my number one choice at this spot is still here.

House Of The Rising Sun - The Animals (The Animals - 1964)
House Of The Rising Sun - Clarence Ashley and Gwen Foster (1933)

From wiki:
"Like many classic folk ballads, the authorship of "The House of the Rising Sun" is uncertain. The oldest known existing recording is by Appalachian artists Clarence "Tom" Ashley and Gwen Foster, who recorded it for Vocalion Records in 1934. The Animals' version transposes the narrative of the song from the point of view of a woman led into a life of degradation, to that of a man, whose father was now a gambler and drunkard, as opposed to the sweetheart in earlier versions."

I'm not sure just how well known this song is, so not sure if I was in any danger of losing it. There were a couple of other songs I really liked at this spot, and I'm certain they'll be gone before my next pick, but it just wasn't worth the risk of losing this classic. Such a distinctive song, story-telling at it's best.

Let's keep this thing moving. Entity is now on the clock, PM sent.

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
OK, crisis averted. Had a mini heart attack when both Heard It Through The Grapevine and Georgia On My Mind went two out of the last three. But Capt. was good to me, and my number one choice at this spot is still here.

House Of The Rising Sun - Clarence Ashley and Gwen Foster (1933)

From wiki:
"Like many classic folk ballads, the authorship of "The House of the Rising Sun" is uncertain. The oldest known existing recording is by Appalachian artists Clarence "Tom" Ashley and Gwen Foster, who recorded it for Vocalion Records in 1934. The Animals' version transposes the narrative of the song from the point of view of a woman led into a life of degradation, to that of a man, whose father was now a gambler and drunkard, as opposed to the sweetheart in earlier versions."

I'm not sure just how well known this song is, so not sure if I was in any danger of losing it. There were a couple of other songs I really liked at this spot, and I'm certain they'll be gone before my next pick, but it just wasn't worth the risk of losing this classic. Such a distinctive song, story-telling at it's best.

Let's keep this thing moving. Entity is now on the clock, PM sent.
hehe i was going to take this next

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member

Very well known - although only legal due to the change in the rule on "traditional" songs as it dates back into the 1800s (I did my research on this one pre-draft, so, yeah, that's another one off my list).

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
Its about to get very uneasy in here, I think there a few handful of songs a large majority of people in this draft are eyeballing. So many drafters and a few famous ones left!

Excellent album in general. I selected it for the album draft last summer, and I also recommend a solid listen straight through...
Doing that now. What a fantastic album. As time goes on, I see Grace being mentioned right alongside Nevermind as the great albums of that era.

Superstar by Sonic Youth (1994)

Originally written by Bonnie Bramlett and Leon Russell, originally recorded by Delanie & Bonney, 1969.

The original song is a bit of a hopeless piece about a groupie with unrealistic expectations, but it's commonly known for a pretty saccharine treatment, and while this song was ever-present in my house as I was growing up, I never really put the lyrics together. I always figured as a kid that though the singer was sad, things would work out eventually. In my head, it was a "separated lovers" song. Then I heard the Sonic Youth cover and it turned the whole song upside down. Sonic Youth even takes it another step to the sinister, leaving it somewhere between "deluded groupie" and "creepy stalker". I love it when a cover makes me look at a song in a whole new way, and that's why this song gets so much play in my rotation, and now on my island.

Dime Dropper is on the clock.
This is one to add to the collection. Great pick.

@*@Q&LJIHS!!*AS$ASD@&*!&$ I had no idea Georgia or Rising Sun were covers. Georgia would have been my first round pick because it's in my top 5 songs of all time.

For my next selection, I am taking:

Wedding Bell Blues - The 5th Dimension (Original song by Laura Nyro)

Love the 5th Dimension, love this song...

Blitzkrieg Bop - Green Day

Anyone who has gone to a Kings game in recent years has heard the Ramones cheering the team on with "Hey ho, let's go". The song is Blitzkrieg Bop. It invariably amuses me that they're using the Ramones of all people as cheerleaders, and I wonder why they don't include the line from the middle of the song: "Hey ho, let's go, shoot 'em in the back now".

When the Ramones were inducted into the Rock Hall of Fame in 2002, I thought Green Day was the perfect choice for a band to play Ramones songs. In this video they play 3 Ramones songs ending with Blitzkrieg Bop, which starts at about 3:55. Since this draft is about individual songs, I won't say anything about the other 2 songs other than "enjoy". And you have to love the 2-person mosh pit.

Now tell me, do these guys look like cheerleaders? I think NOT! :)

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I absolutely completely do not want to be "that guy", since I really don't care, but is the above selection kosher?

I ask because I was having a conversation with somebody just a couple of days ago and they were disappointed that one of their favorite covers had only been performed live in concerts, and never released as a recording.

I actually think Blitzkrieg Bop is OK. I'm sure there is a DVD out there of all the rock n roll hall of fame performances over the years so it's been released.

I'm nearly positive that Blitzkrieg Bop isn't on any of Green Day's albums. I don't mind switching; I have a number of possibilities left. I have, however, been looking for an opportunity to point out the irony of using Blitzkrieg Bop as a cheerleader song, and this gave me that opportunity, so I'm happy.

The fact that there is a Youtube clip is audio evidence of the Green Day cover. The author of the youtube clip is actually the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, so it is not a bootleg.

The internet is certainly changing media, and I count official video clips as audio proof as per rule #1. IMHO the Green Day pick stands.

I've lost a more picks in this draft than any other draft COMBINED, and we are still just in round 3... :(

For my next pick I select a cover which is one of those covers that is much much better than the original, at least IMHO.

American Woman - Lenny Kravitz

And the original

Album: Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me (but later included in the reissued edition of his 5 album)
Released: 1999
Original Artist: The Guess Who
Original Released Date: 1970