Steve Francis to sign with Houston

the franchise is coming home..

July 19, 2007, 1:22PM
Steve Francis to return to Rockets
Three-time All-Star picks former team over Heat, Mavs and Clippers

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Former Rockets guard Steve Francis is about to be future Rockets guard Steve Francis.
Francis chose the Rockets over the Heat, Mavericks and Clippers, his agent Jeff Fried said on Thursday.
"I just hung up with Daryl (Morey, the Rockets general manager)," Fried said. "He is dealing with facilitating the contract.
"It's a combination of a variety of factors including the fit with the team, a comfortableness with the organization and a familiarity with the surroundings. He has a home in Houston. In so many ways, it has remained his home, despite some interim stops, Orlando and New York.
"For Steve, it's coming home."
jonathan.feigen@chron.com

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4982185.html

http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4982185.html

Steve Francis to return to Rockets
Three-time All-Star picks former team over Heat, Mavs and Clippers

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Three seasons and three teams removed from the Rockets, Steve Francis will return to the team for which three times he was an All-Star.

Once known as "Franchise" as the cornerstone of the Rockets' planned post Hakeem Olajuwon rebuilding, Francis chose to return the Rockets on Thursday, passing on more lucrative offers from the Heat, Mavericks and Clippers.

"I think he sees this as a rebirth, as a restart of his career," Rockets general manager Daryl Morey said.

"Steve has a sense we're real close. We think he can be a big part of getting us there. I always thought it was a long shot. Credit to Steve, he chose what he thought was the best chance to win over options that were better financially.

"There was always a chance that Steve would choose Houston, until Steve told me today himself he was coming it felt like a long shot. Jeff Fried was doing a great job as an agent creating options. It came down to Steve focusing on what was the most important to him and that was winning."

The Rockets were limited to the portion of the mid-level exception remaining after acquiring forward Luis Scola last weeks, worth $2.4 million the first year. He will sign a two-year contract with the option to opt out after one season.

Francis played five seasons for the Rockets, averaging 19.3 points, 6.4 assists and 6.1 rebounds. He was traded in June, 2004 to the Orlando Magic along with Cuttino Mobley and Kelvin Cato in the deal to acquire Tracy McGrady. After one strong season with the Magic, he was dealt to the Knicks the next season and generally struggled to regain the form of his first years in the league, usually coming off the bench in the Knicks' crowded backcourt and battling knee troubles last season.

Francis is scheduled for a physical this afternoon, but has reported no problems with the knee since last season.

"It's a combination of a variety of factors including the fit with the team, a comfortableness with the organization and a familiarity with the surroundings," Fried said. "He has a home in Houston. In so many ways, it has remained his home, despite some interim stops, Orlando and New York.

"For Steve, it's coming home."

Dealt the Portland Trail Blazers after the season, he accepted a buyout of the last two seasons of his contract, worth roughly $30 million.

He had considered offers to reunite with Mobley, a friend and former teammate, and Sam Cassell, a friend and business partner, with the Clippers, and to play with each of the 2006 NBA Finals teams, the Mavericks and Heat.

"It's a chance to win," Morey said. "Both Yao (Ming) and Tracy really helped with the recruiting process and are excited about our chance to win with the additions in the off-season," Morey said. "We're feeling good we've addressed a lot of our goals."

The addition of Francis will likely trigger more changes. He would give the Rockets five point guards. Morey has said he is seeking to move John Lucas III. Several teams, the New Orleans Hornets in particular, have indicated interest, but Morey said nothing is imminent. With Francis on the roster, he could also seek to deal last season's starter, Rafer Alston.

"When you have a chance to add a talent like Steve who really fits what coach (Rick Adelman) is trying to do, you do it," Morey said. "Now we have a lot of talent on the roster. Coach and I have to figure out the best way to make it work. What our plans are is still to be determined. Because this was a bit of a long shot, we haven't spent a lot of time on what was the right next step in the coming weeks."

Well looks like the Bibby to Miami possiblity just got a little more likely.
yeah definitely.

the rockets reloaded in one summer. would it be safe to say, western conference finals this season (barring any significant injuries)? adelman will get the most out of the bunch.

Rick is going to have his work cut out for him. His roster has some pretty big egos such as T-Mac, Yao, Francis, Bonzi and Mike James. I'm not saying that Rick won't do a great job, but he's got a lot of work to do.

Rick is going to have his work cut out for him. His roster has some pretty big egos such as T-Mac, Yao, Francis, Bonzi and Mike James. I'm not saying that Rick won't do a great job, but he's got a lot of work to do.
Yao = no ego whatsoever, model communist worker

T-mac = wants to be lead guy, but wants the ball less - he's routinely complained about the fact that he does everything for this team and hanldes the ball 90% of the time, he's been asking for more scorers for a while

Francis = he's already told the team that he'll come off the bench and do whatever they need, he just wants to be home

James = same thing as Francis

Bonzi = whatever, he's trash if he messes up again, no expectations for him whatsoever, he's not entitled to anything so he better earn his time. The dude freaking quit on the team last year and ran away so he better be humble

The two concerns are James and Francis, both of which are coming from humiliating situations where they had career lows and setbacks. i think they both just want to win and in James's case, just to "not feel like a cheap prostitute." I think it'll be fine.

Just curious. Who had the Rockets traded to get McGrady? Francis and Mobley was it?
We traded Francis, Mobley, and Kelvin Cato for McGrady, Juwan Howard, and Reece Gaines.

Just to chronicle how stupid that trade was for Orlando...

They trade Mobley to Sacto for Doug Christie who proceeds to get cut.

They trade Francis to NY for an expiring Penny Hardaway and Trevor Ariza.

And Cato was a throwin in the Darko trade. (who is no longer in Orlando)

In summation, they got Trevor Ariza for Tracy McGrady.

A

AriesMar27

that should be interesting... who is starting at pg? what about pf and back up c? wouldnt mind trading reef or thomas for alston/sura... just to get rid of them... if we trade bibby we would have a pg, a bad one but a pg... id trade both for whatever combination of garbage that they have...

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
So let's see:

C- Yao, Deke, Butler (7'5", 7'2" 7'1")
PF- Scola, ?, Hayes, Scola
SF- Battier, Bonzi, Augustine
OG- TMac, (Bonzi), Snyder, Head, (Francis)
PG- James, Francis, Rafer, Brooks, Lucas

Now knowing Rick I'd be willing to bet he'd try to fake some rotation minutes using the Bonzi freak effect to allow Battier some time at PF -- Bonzi at SF making up for Battier's poor rebounding. But I still think that some of the spare parts down at PG (Alston, Lucas) and OG (Snyder or Head) should be swapped for a rugged rebounding PF. Of course oyu know who I'm talking about. ;)

We traded Francis, Mobley, and Kelvin Cato for McGrady, Juwan Howard, and Reece Gaines.

Just to chronicle how stupid that trade was for Orlando...

They trade Mobley to Sacto for Doug Christie who proceeds to get cut.

They trade Francis to NY for an expiring Penny Hardaway and Trevor Ariza.

And Cato was a throwin in the Darko trade. (who is no longer in Orlando)

In summation, they got Trevor Ariza for Tracy McGrady.
Thanks, and ya the Magic got jacked.

Steve Francis, Mike James, Rafer Alston, Bob Sura, Luther Head, Aaron Brooks, John Lucas. Has any team in the histor of the NBA ever had this many point gurads on the roster?

A

AriesMar27

Steve Francis, Mike James, Rafer Alston, Bob Sura, Luther Head, Aaron Brooks, John Lucas. Has any team in the histor of the NBA ever had this many point gurads on the roster?

when the laker trade shaq they had a team full of sg/sf...

Just to be annoying...Brooks was an og at Oregon. Sura played point but wasn't really.

Bricklayer

Was an interesting process where other than Spanoulis, the Rockets just went out and brough in an entire new crop of guys who will proabbly be 1-2-3 on the depth chart wihtout moving out any of the old ones from last year. Figure they just have to do something with those guys to give Scola some support. Too bad there is no market for Rafer.

Thinking that TMac/Battier/Bonzi/James/Francis should eat almost all the 1/2/3 minutes (and shots) so they really only need maybe 1 young OG type and 1 young PG type out of all those other bodies. Call Brooks the young PG, pick either Snyder or Head as the young OG, and everybody else should be trade bait.

Rockets 'draft' Francis. Rockets trade Francis for T-Mac. Rockets sign free agent Francis...

Rockets sign James. Rockets trade James for Alston. Rockets trade for James.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Don't forget Juwon Howard. Rockets trade Francis for T-Mac and Juwon Howard. Rockets trade Mike James for Rafer Alston. Rockets trade Juwon Howard for Mike James. Rockets sign Steve Francis. They basically added TMac and Rafer Alston for nothing. Pretty neat trick.

Out of all those PGs (Steve Francis, Mike James, Rafer Alston, Bob Sura, Luther Head, Aaron Brooks, John Lucas) the only two that are real PGs are Rafer Alston and John Lucas. The rest of them are scoring guards who play the PG position or combo guards who are undersized for SG. Then you figure Bonzi and Battier are SFs who play more like PFs and TMac is a SG/SF who plays like a PG (6 assists per game) and you've got a very unusual combination of wing players. If this Scola guy is as good as people say he is they've got a pretty solid frontcourt rotation too with Yao, Deke, Chuck Hayes, and Scola. I don't know how all those pieces are going to work, but it certainly is intriguing. They shouldn't have any trouble scoring this year. Whether Rick can come up with a coherent gameplan and rotation that keeps everyone happy remains to be seen. If he wins coach of the year he's really going to have to earn it.

(Off the top of my head I figure Sura is a scratch because he's more or less retired due to injuries at this point and just playing out his contract. Lucas probably gets traded since he's been replaced by Brooks. Head gets most of his minutes at the SG spot and Brooks is bench fodder this season. So that leaves Francis, James, and Alston to split the lead guard minutes. Either Francis or James swing over to the SG spot in a small lineup with TMac playing SF or one of those three has to go. My guess is Rafer Alston will be the odd man out, depending on how quickly Francis can re-acclimate himself to Houston's game. They went out and acquired James so you know he's in the rotation for sure.)

Last edited:
Our extra PGs still have value.

Luther Head has tons because he's a top 10 3 point shooter who's athletic and can play defense.

Rafer Alston, on the surface, would not but his contract is only about 4-5 million per year for 3 years which is less than say Steve Blake who made the MLE. And Steve Blake is crap of the defensive end and isn't that much better on the other side. Indiana, Denver, Miami, and both LA teams all could use a fairly inexpensive point guard. And we'll throw in Luther Head as well.

John Lucas has a tiny contract, is young, and could be a serviceable backup with time. New Orleans apparently wants him and is still slightly under the cap so we can get a trade exception for him.

Sura has a buyout of 1 million or we can just add him to any trade as filler salary.

Either way, man this is just been an insane offseason. And we're not done yet. Another PF is going to come along. And with the way our new GM has just pulled stuff out of a hat, I expect a solid PF not named Kenny Thomas or Shareef Abdur Rahim to be on his way to Houston.

Bricklayer

Our extra PGs still have value.

Luther Head has tons because he's a top 10 3 point shooter who's athletic and can play defense.

Rafer Alston, on the surface, would not but his contract is only about 4-5 million per year for 3 years which is less than say Steve Blake who made the MLE. And Steve Blake is crap of the defensive end and isn't that much better on the other side. Indiana, Denver, Miami, and both LA teams all could use a fairly inexpensive point guard. And we'll throw in Luther Head as well.

John Lucas has a tiny contract, is young, and could be a serviceable backup with time. New Orleans apparently wants him and is still slightly under the cap so we can get a trade exception for him.

Sura has a buyout of 1 million or we can just add him to any trade as filler salary.

Either way, man this is just been an insane offseason. And we're not done yet. Another PF is going to come along. And with the way our new GM has just pulled stuff out of a hat, I expect a solid PF not named Kenny Thomas or Shareef Abdur Rahim to be on his way to Houston.

Well, gotta love enthuiasm for a team on the rise, but in your enthusiasm I hope you realize your new GM has only been sporadically involved in your good fortune thus far. Not wiling to annoint him godlike status yet.

Bonzi back = Adelman
James for Howard = GM, but also long suggested/rumored before he took over
Brooks = not sure, likely GM but read that Adelman may have given the green light because he watched him last year up in Portland
Francis = fell in your lap.
Spannoulis trade = again, fell in your lap.

All of which are the kinds of things that have to happen for any team to make a go of it, but I'm not nearly so clear on his ability to make something out of nothing, and rosy assessments aside, I got to tell you that Head is the only one of those PGs with anything above nothing as value. Rafer is your own version of KT, and Lucas is just a throw in. Well...Sura's ender of course. that would look to be an obvious attraction.

As an aside you guys still have your MLE too don't you?

Last edited:
Well, gotta love enthuiasm for a team on the rise, but in your enthusiasm I hope you realize your new GM has only been sporadically involved in your good fortune thus far. Not wiling to annoint him godlike status yet.

Bonzi back = Adelman
James for Howard = GM, but also long suggested/rumored before he took over
Brooks = not sure, likely GM but read that Adelman may have given the green light because he watched him last year up in Portland
Francis = fell in your lap.
Spannoulis trade = again, fell in your lap.

All of which are the kinds of things that have to happen for any team to make a go of it, but I'm not nearly so clear on his ability to make something out of nothing, and rosy assessments aside, I got to tell you that Head is the only one of those PGs with anything above nothing as value. Rafer is your own version of KT, and Lucas is just a throw in.
Rafer's contract isn't nearly as awful. And PG is a greater commodity right now than PF. I know Miami is already interested in him and there have been rumblings from Indiana. I guarantee someone trades for him. As bad as he is, he gets tons of steals and doesn't turn the ball over. And he won't steal shots from other players.

As for our GM, Morey, I know I'm being a little overdramatic. In fact your assessment is right. It's been a super lucky situation. But, Morey had to have something to do with it.

And Brooks was an Adelman pick. He's the one who recommended him.

Solid 7 man Rick Adelman style rotation there. Francis, James (will play a little 2), Battier, Bonzi, Scola, Yao, and Tmac. Deke being 7 1/2th man. :D Championshipe level? I don't know about that one. Can't be a downgrade considering the Rockets were pretty good before.

Wow i am just loving these moves by the Rockets, they may have just fixed 2 things that killed them in the playoffs. They fianly have a guy other then then T-mac who could create for himself and the team in Franics. And they may have gotten their banger and rebuilder to play beside Yao in Scola. Really I love how the team is built and don't think much else is needed, a power forward such as PJ Brown at vet min would be nice but again not really needed. I see the upcoming roster to be like this:

Franics/Alston/Brooks
T-mac/James/Head
Battier/Boniz/Sylder
Scola/Hayes/Brown?/Landry?
Yao/Deke/Butler

This rockets team has depth, fexiablity, could go big, could go small, could run and gun and could also slow it down. Truely coach RA has alot of toys to play with which could be really dangerous.

And not trying to get supamario's hopes up or anything but this totally rebuild around 2 superstars in one offseason reminds alot of the heat from few years back. They steal a boat load of talent with egos in Walker, Payton, J-Will, and Posey, many thought such a group of characters added to Shaq and Wade would not get it done but it did. Sure the rockets do play in a much tougher conf where they have to go thru the Suns, Spurs, Dallas and others compared to heat who only had to deal with the Pistons. But with this much talent T-mac should get past the first round and beyond

Last edited:
By the way, I'm not as resigned to the idea that Steve Francis isn't still a very good player. We never really saw any sharp depreciation of his game; we just saw him placed in a couple of very bad situations in Orlando and especially NY. But now that he's in what should be an ideal set of circumstances with the Rockets (with the talent and coaching they have), he could possibly return to being a 15-18ppg scorer who rebounds very well for a small guard and can set his teammates up.

This isn't Gary Payton joining the Lakers. I think Steve Francis can really help the Rockets out if he fits in with what McGrady and Yao already have.

By the way, I'm not as resigned to the idea that Steve Francis isn't still a very good player. We never really saw any sharp depreciation of his game; we just saw him placed in a couple of very bad situations in Orlando and especially NY. But now that he's in what should be an ideal set of circumstances with the Rockets (with the talent and coaching they have), he could possibly return to being a 15-18ppg scorer who rebounds very well for a small guard and can set his teammates up.

This isn't Gary Payton joining the Lakers. I think Steve Francis can really help the Rockets out if he fits in with what McGrady and Yao already have.
I agree. I mean the guy is only 30. I never really liked his game, but he can still be a valuable piece. I think he can still probably be in the top 50% of PGs in the league. Not a bad third wheel to Yao/T-Mac. Hopefully the last couple years in NY have humbled him and he can accept a supporting role.

I agree. I mean the guy is only 30. I never really liked his game, but he can still be a valuable piece. I think he can still probably be in the top 50% of PGs in the league. Not a bad third wheel to Yao/T-Mac. Hopefully the last couple years in NY have humbled him and he can accept a supporting role.
His game was frustrating as hell back in the day but he's already been humble about it and is more than willing to be a bench player if necessary. Look, there's virtually no downside to this. We're paying virtually nothing for a guy who was a 20 point scorer just a few seasons ago.

And most importantly, he wants to be here and took less money to come and accept a possible sixth man role.

Plus I can bust out the old Francis jersey now. Never thought that thing would have any use ever again. And boy, the Chinese fans are going ballistic. On the pecking order, Steve comes ahead of T-Mac in China. That's how infatuated they are with this guy.