So, are we down to primarily finding a backup (big) center at this point?

I know we have success with Trey at a smallball 5, but we still need at least one more banger in the paint, especially if Queta is still developing.

Maybe a backup PG for depth? But with Monk and others we have some of that covered as well, I think.

Agree, I’m curious about both Zubac and Valancianas, pretty sure they’re both physical.

Why not Len? I mean I’m not sure what else they’d be looking for really. He played damn near perfect at the end of last season setting picks, rebounding, defending, pick & roll. I find it odd so many people seem to view him as an afterthought. It’s like ya’ll forget how he played at the end of last season. Was effective even in playoffs even though going in was worst possible matchup for him (and all big bodied bigs).

You’re not gonna find a better rim protector / rebounder / big body that’s available in my opinion.

Last edited:
I think so, our two biggest needs are interior defense and rebounding. Lots of players out there who can help with that. Plumlee, Wood, Jalen McDaniels, Dillion Brooks we have a clean run at, then Grant Williams and PJ Washington are the RFAs, and Zubac/Val via trade.

I think there's one more move to be made.

I know we have success with Trey at a smallball 5, but we still need at least one more banger in the paint, especially if Queta is still developing.

Maybe a backup PG for depth? But with Monk and others we have some of that covered as well, I think.

Queta will develop by playing NBA minutes, He´s dominated the G-league, so he won´t gain anything from getting sent back down there. The correct thing to do with would be to plug him in the correct backup match-ups 10 to 15min to get him accustomed to the speed and details of the game.
This should have been done occasionally last year, but ending that playoff drought was understandably a higher priority.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Plumlee was good as a backup to Jokic in Denver. We could do a lot worse, and we would be able to run some similar sets as the starting unit. He is prone to trying to do more than he is capable of at times, however.

I think so, our two biggest needs are interior defense and rebounding. Lots of players out there who can help with that. Plumlee, Wood, Jalen McDaniels, Dillion Brooks we have a clean run at, then Grant Williams and PJ Washington are the RFAs, and Zubac/Val via trade.

I think there's one more move to be made.
No Brooks...that dude is crazy!! I mean TRULY CRAZY!!! There are other dudes I considered crazy in this league, Beverley and Westbrook.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I figure between Edwards and Slawson and Colby (a bit undersized as a 3, but not for bench minutes) somebody is going to step up and claim that role.

Still, we've got nine guys basically set in the rotation even before a defensive 3 OR a full-sized backup center. I don't see a lot of minutes to be spread around until garbage time. Should be plenty of that, though.

I figure between Edwards and Slawson and Colby (a bit undersized as a 3, but not for bench minutes) somebody is going to step up and claim that role.

Still, we've got nine guys basically set in the rotation even before a defensive 3 OR a full-sized backup center. I don't see a lot of minutes to be spread around until garbage time. Should be plenty of that, though.
Niiiice...

:cool:

Queta will develop by playing NBA minutes, He´s dominated the G-league, so he won´t gain anything from getting sent back down there. The correct thing to do with would be to plug him in the correct backup match-ups 10 to 15min to get him accustomed to the speed and details of the game.
This should have been done occasionally last year, but ending that playoff drought was understandably a higher priority.
yeah I have Queta as the backup center

They’re looking for somebody to take that part time backup center position that Len/Holmes had last season. I can see Queta being promoted to that spot with Lyles as the backup center.

I think the Lopez train sailed when we dropped below 18M in available cap space. That said we could always facilitate a S/T. Now i think our best bet is Plumlee or Bamba. Thomas Bryant was a good option as well, but my understanding is we still have $13M and i dont think any of those guys are worth that. With most of our main pieces locked up, we can turn our attention to those RFAs. The issue up till now was we didn't want to hold up our cap space for a week while we got used against the home clubs like we have in the past. Now, with Sasha, Lyles, HB all in the fold, we can chase other targets including RFA without as much hesitation. Thinking:
*PJW (although we have a glut of forwards, but can at least guard wings where Lyles and Sasha probably cant)

*Grant Williams

*Austin Reaves

My approach would be to throw the lot of our remaining money at Brook lopez and hope he bites. If that doesn't work i would settle for Christian Wood based on his potential, but i am very wary of why he keeps getting moved (is he a problem in the locker room? ) i haven't read anything overtly negative about him so i dont know, but he has the skill set to be a good rim protector for us.

If we cant get either of those guys then i try for one of the 3 listed RFA above (PJW>Reaves>Grant in that order) - Reaves will play very well next to Fox, Mitchell and Monk and it will really mess with the lakers dynamics (win win for us). I then go for a defensive minded big: Plumlee, Waynen Gabrielle, Bamba, Thomas Bryant or bring back Len. None will command more than the vet min. The other option which intrigues me is going for Dwight Howard with the vet minimum

Is it just me, or is it incredibly SILENT out there regarding Christian Wood? Don't hate his game, but I haven't seen anyone out there mention him at all. Maybe someone that could be had at a bargain price?

Is it just me, or is it incredibly SILENT out there regarding Christian Wood? Don't hate his game, but I haven't seen anyone out there mention him at all. Maybe someone that could be had at a bargain price?
Is it still possible that Wood is the player we get back from Dallas for our #1 and Holmes contract? Sign and trade? 2/24?

Lopez gone!!! Now, it's down to Wood. I hope Kings sign him. His length is what we needed....and ability to shoot 3s and stay away from the paint is important. There is nothing wrong with his game, he play the right way. I am not sure what is his problem. Ballhogging? I don't see it. Not following coaching plan? I don't know...but I am sure Brown will correct him. Off court issue? i don't know about that either. But as far as just basket and ability to help a team win, I do not see a problem signing him.

Why can't we bring back Len? Always liked him in the role we have given him.
I like Len, a lot.

My only contention is that if we can spend more and try to find a bigger impact player in that spot, we should do so. Still some bullets left - even with a Domas raise (assuming Sasha's deal qualifies for one of the exceptions).

Regardless of how it plays out... watching Monte work is a true pleasure. Occasionally in any given field you encounter someone who is a real virtuoso. Monte, (and especially after his visit with my nona), is approaching those levels. The Godfather in a sport vest.

I like Len, a lot.

My only contention is that if we can spend more and try to find a bigger impact player in that spot, we should do so. Still some bullets left - even with a Domas raise (assuming Sasha's deal qualifies for one of the exceptions).

Regardless of how it plays out... watching Monte work is a true pleasure. Occasionally in any given field you encounter someone who is a real virtuoso. Monte, (and especially after his visit with my nona), is approaching those levels. The Godfather in a sport vest.
He plays the big body role pretty well and he's a vet. Who would be the Len replacement that's better for more money? Maybe that player is out there, ai just dont know who it is.