Sergio Rodriguez

I want to see Rondo pressuring the ballhandler. I want to see him down in a good defensive stance. I want him to fight through screens. Because that's what good perimeter defense is.
It basically looks like this:

or this

When anyone can convince me, that Rondo can play defense like this, I will be all for resigning this guy.
So you require Rondo to be one of the best defensive guards in the entire NBA as well as the best distributing PG in the NBA before you want him as the Kings PG?

You don't think your standards and expectations are a tad high for Rondo?

BTW - Marcus Smart looks from those clips to be three times the defender Bradley is - half of AB's plays could have been called fouls/reach-ins.
And on a non-physical defense team like the Kings (in the West), those exact same WOULD have been called fouls.
He gets away with those because the entire Celtics team plays really physical defense, and it's the East, where steals happen.

Rondo doesn't have to be one of the best defensive guards. The least he could do is try. It sends a bad message to your teammates when you simply don't put any effort on the defensive end and expect them to cover your behind for your laziness.

Brad Stevens cared about defense.

Rick Carlisle cared about defense.

Under both of thee coaches who are known for getting the most out of their teams, Rondo didn't. Give me a reason to expect Joerger will get Rondo to play defense.

There's a big difference between a scheme being non-functional and simply not trying. The latter has plagued Rondo.

Don't know about Brad Stevens.

I do know that Rick Carlisle is arguably the biggest butthead coach in the NBA, and is the worst fit personality and floor-managing-dictator-wise in the league.

George Karl was the most inept defense coach in the NBA, and blamed his players for his own defensive anachronistic incompetence.
In fact, I am very confident that Rondo is a better defensive coach than Karl, and the plays that were known to be drawn up by Rondo (both offensive and defensive), were more successful than Karl's on average.

I'll wait till I see Rondo skate by with pee-poor defense when he actually has a proper coach with a reasonable defensive strategy that fits the players before I write him off.

So you require Rondo to be one of the best defensive guards in the entire NBA as well as the best distributing PG in the NBA before you want him as the Kings PG?

You don't think your standards and expectations are a tad high for Rondo?

BTW - Marcus Smart looks from those clips to be three times the defender Bradley is - half of AB's plays could have been called fouls/reach-ins.
And on a non-physical defense team like the Kings (in the West), those exact same WOULD have been called fouls.
He gets away with those because the entire Celtics team plays really physical defense, and it's the East, where steals happen.
Well Rondo is a guard, who built his resumee on passing, floor management, rebounding and defense.

Despite his improved 3pt stats he is not a good shooter. Lets take a moment to think about, how to characterize a good shooter.
I personally think about a guy like Damian Lillard, when I hear the term good shooter. A guy where the defense knows they can't give him only a little bit of space or he will pull up and hit a jumpshot out of the dribble. Now Rondo can hit wide open corner 3's, but his shooting is not a game changing thing, that draws attention from the defense. It's an afterthought and something every team is happy to give up on D. Rondo is a reluctant shooter and there is a reason for it. He just isn't comfortable shooting out of the dribble, his jumpshot is slow and he can't elevate over the D.

Now this doesn't mean Rondo is a bad player. He is maybe the best playmaker in the entire league, he is a very good on the floor leader on offense, and he may be the best rebounding guard after Westbrook.
But because he is not a well rounded offensive player, he needs to make up for it in other areas in order to be considered a top PG.

So yes - in order to be a top PG, Rondo needs to become an elite defender again. And given our very thin talent base a top PG is needed to even have a chance to sneak into the 8th seed.

BTW - usually the ref's favour the more aggressive player on D. Smart and Bradley get away with their style of play, because they are so aggressive and despite using their arms move their feet extremely well.
What's most impressive is that Smart, unlike Bradley, is not very quick and very thick and heavy for a guard. This guy will defend Russel Westbrook and than switch onto Kevin Durant and won't give up his space on the floor even against a 6'10 guy.
I know he is a pretty bad shooter, but boy his defense and intensity is a beauty to watch.
I would give up a lot, to see this kind of defense in SAC again.
I just love to watch defense.....
And nowhere in my posts did I write Rondo off.

Despite his improved 3pt stats he is not a good shooter. Lets take a moment to think about, how to characterize a good shooter.
I personally think about a guy like Damian Lillard, when I hear the term good shooter. A guy where the defense knows they can't give him only a little bit of space or he will pull up and hit a jumpshot out of the dribble. Now Rondo can hit wide open corner 3's, but his shooting is not a game changing thing, that draws attention from the defense. It's an afterthought and something every team is happy to give up on D. Rondo is a reluctant shooter and there is a reason for it. He just isn't comfortable shooting out of the dribble, his jumpshot is slow and he can't elevate over the D.
Then it seems odd to me that you state that Conley is the best fit PG for the Kings....

Rondo was the better shooter last year for us (.454/.365 vs .422/.363), AND Rondo got way more steals! (2.0 vs 1.2)

It seems pretty weird the way you (and others) so quickly dismiss Rondo and accept someone else who likely doesn't even want to play for us.
The grass is not always greener....

Then it seems odd to me that you state that Conley is the best fit PG for the Kings....

Rondo was the better shooter last year for us (.454/.365 vs .422/.363), AND Rondo got way more steals! (2.0 vs 1.2)

It seems pretty weird the way you (and others) so quickly dismiss Rondo and accept someone else who likely doesn't even want to play for us.
The grass is not always greener....
Well that's because I don't use stats. Yes Rondo get's more steals. How does he get those steals? By gambling in the passing lane. Maybe you saw different games than I did and saw Rondo in a defensive stance, with active hands and feet on D. Because I didn't. Defense is not about stats. Rondo managed to get more steals than Tony Allen this season. You think he is anywhere close to the defender Allen is? I don't.

And again - shooting stats is not the thing I talk about. Yes Rondo's stats look solid. You watched the Grizzlies over the past years? Conley's release is way quicker. Conley can shoot off the dribble and utilize a high ball screen to get his shot off within a split second. No Conley is not the shooter Lillard is, but over the years he made up for it with his defense and intensity. Now of course Conley was injured and had a down year. So obviously he comes not without risks. But he is the more well rounded PG. So I would prefer him over Rondo.
But Conley is a long shot for the Kings.

FG% on Jumpshots

Conley - .377

Rondo - .341

Rondo shot the 3 at a higher percentage last year relative to his career averages, so he could regress back to sub .300 on 3 Pt shots next season.