Sabonis at the Four?

Have we seen a line up with Sabonis at the Four? I know about the history in Indy with Turner. And I'm not talking about 48 minutes of two Bigs every game.

I'm suggesting a line up with Sabonis and Len used part of the time similar to how Coaches use "Zone Defense". I don't recall Coach Brown ever trying this. It is a way to get size on the floor and perhaps stopping the layup drills we sometimes see.

If the other team goes really small then adjust. But sometimes it might be worth the effort to make the other team adjust to you.

It also allows sets where the Five stays out of the paint and Sabonis gets to operate inside against Forwards.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Have we seen a line up with Sabonis at the Four? I know about the history in Indy with Turner. And I'm not talking about 48 minutes of two Bigs every game.

I'm suggesting a line up with Sabonis and Len used part of the time similar to how Coaches use "Zone Defense". I don't recall Coach Brown ever trying this. It is a way to get size on the floor and perhaps stopping the layup drills we sometimes see.

If the other team goes really small then adjust. But sometimes it might be worth the effort to make the other team adjust to you.

It also allows sets where the Five stays out of the paint and Sabonis gets to operate inside against Forwards.
To get size or length on the floor, I’d rather move Keegan to the 2. Add in a Kessler at 3 with HB or Lyles or Sasha.
Just don’t like the idea of Len and Domas but you never know

Does Len provide enough shooting to pull out the opposing five? I know he can hit the three, but I'm not sure he's formidable enough of a threat to provide that. I also have concerns with Sabonis guarding most fours on the perimeter. He is moving better this year, but I don't know that he can be asked to defend out there consistently. All that said, I'm open to seeing it at this point, because what's being thrown out there ain't working.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
The problem is that Sabonis is a passable defender at C (despite his lack of rim protection, the advanced metrics are fairly kind to him) but is a poor defender against wings when forced to guard out on the perimeter.

In short, I don't think it improves the defense at all and it reduces spacing on offense on the other end.

I agree with dude12. If you want better defense, put better defenders on the floor (Edwards, Ellis, Mitchell, Murray, possibly Duarte) either with Sabonis or with Len if Sabonis is struggling to defend.

I'm suggesting a line up with Sabonis and Len used part of the time similar to how Coaches use "Zone Defense". I don't recall Coach Brown ever trying this.
Yes, for about two minutes in a game last month. It was fun while it lasted.

Why do you want to try this when it was tested before and didnt work? You know about Indiana, but lithuanian fans know that from Lithuanian national team where we have 2 good centers JV (Jonas Valanciunas) and Sabonis. National team coaches tried that and it didnt work at all ....

We won't be a real contender until we move Sabonis to the 4 that's my hill I'm sticking too.
I too look forward to the day when he has to line up across from the likes of LeBron, Durant, Leonard/George, Doncic, Gordon/Porter Jr., Grant, Kuminga, J. Smith, Jackson Jr., Towns, Zion, Markkanen, etc. at the 4. Then and only then will we truly unlock our potential. ;)

Why do you want to try this when it was tested before and didnt work? You know about Indiana, but Lithuanian fans know that from Lithuanian national team where we have 2 good centers JV (Jonas Valanciunas) and Sabonis. National team coaches tried that and it didnt work at all ....
The main reason is to allow Sabonis to work with the bench players as a point-forward, like LeBron James and Giannis Antetokounmpo. He spends so much of his time working out near the three-point line, it might free him up on offense, and add another big for defense when the bench is in. [Edit: I meant Alex Len as the other big.] Last night, the Kings at one point had Sabonis, Murray, Mitchell, Fox, and Monk on the floor at the same time--three short guards. It worked pretty well. You need different looks in the playoffs, that's for sure.

Last edited:
Who can be the 5 if Sabonis is the 4? It's nearly impossible given the game today. That list is like JJJ and not much else.

I think the Kings' best bet is Keegan continuing to get stronger and more confident/aggressive, but with the Kings turning him into a perimeter defender it has really exposed the Kings lack of length on the interior defense.

Who can be the 5 if Sabonis is the 4? It's nearly impossible given the game today. That list is like JJJ and not much else.
Myles Turner is the other one. They worked well together in Indy despite people thinking they chose one over the other. Perfectly complimentary.

I think a guy like Isaiah Stewart potentially would be a good one. He’s shorter than Domas but has the length,rim protecting and switch ability. Also floor stretching.

If Domas can shoot the three more regularly you can look at more traditional centers.

Myles Turner is the other one. They worked well together in Indy despite people thinking they chose one over the other. Perfectly complimentary.

I think a guy like Isaiah Stewart potentially would be a good one. He’s shorter than Domas but has the length,rim protecting and switch ability. Also floor stretching.

If Domas can shoot the three more regularly you can look at more traditional centers.
Stewart is a good name too, I think that could work. Turner is too slow afoot on D to have any real success alongside Sabonis. Sure, they had success together, but not playoff success and that was in a pretty weak Eastern conference

I was watching all games when Domas was at Indy - and no, it didnt work :)

We won't be a real contender until we move Sabonis to the 4 that's my hill I'm sticking too.
Well he’d have to greatly improve that mid range shot if that’s gonna be something to consider. Right now, there’s no way it can work IMO. Not for an extended amount of time

Apart from Lithuania NT, didn't work at the Thunder as well, playing next to Adams he had similar with "passive HB" numbers starting most of the matches playing around 20 minutes as a rookie. I think the only time he played was against Minnesota but only for a while. The presence of another center next to him could improve our defense but the offense will not function that well for sure.

You don’t play a great center like Sabonis out of position and make him change his game so you can accommodate someone off the bench. Especially if that player has a very similar game to his. I just don’t think Domas is anywhere near mobile enough to consistently spend time on the perimeter. We would be doing the opposing team a favor and our rebounding would tank dramatically.

What we need is to find a well fitting PF that can help cover any weaknesses Domas has. It would be shotblocking and the ability to guard the perimeter on more mobile bigs, while preferably being able to hit the three at a decent clip. This is a rare and coveted type of player so it won’t be without cost, but that’s the sort of mold you look for. I think we see Keegan as a 3 more than a 4.

I always remember championship Pistons with undersized Ben Wallace as C, while tall, long Rasheed Wallace at the 4. Domas lack of length and reach is a problem further from the rim. He is exceptionally quick and fast, but closer he is to the basket on defense - more comfortable he is. Offense? He can be anywhere, that's definitely unquestionable.

Without massive spending (ATM 3Y/33M), I've always wanted to see Domas in a pair with Maxi Kleber. Great defender, good shot blocker, decent rebounder & good enough 3P shooter (career 36%) for a stretch 4. Also, moving well without the ball & good Pick&Roll player. The only 1 problem is that he is made from glass & now already 32 yo. The kind of player that is used to such role and would not have mental problems like drama queen Myles Turner has been having.

So the consensus seems to be Sabonis is a Center and a very good one. And what the Kings need is a 6' 11" PF who can defend the perimeter, shoot the three at a high percentage, block some shots and fits in with the current squad. Well yes I think we can all agree with that:)

I just think a set with two Bigs has a place in the Playbook.

Without massive spending (ATM 3Y/33M), I've always wanted to see Domas in a pair with Maxi Kleber. Great defender, good shot blocker, decent rebounder & good enough 3P shooter (career 36%) for a stretch 4. Also, moving well without the ball & good Pick&Roll player. The only 1 problem is that he is made from glass & now already 32 yo. The kind of player that is used to such role and would not have mental problems like drama queen Myles Turner has been having.
Prime Kleber would have been a good Domas pairing. Or Serge Ibaka. AK47. I’m pretty confident Monte is waiting for that player to become available.

Prime Kleber would have been a good Domas pairing. Or Serge Ibaka. AK47. I’m pretty confident Monte is waiting for that player to become available.
I would love Beef Stew next to Sabonis. Quick enough to guard the four and can hit open 3. Also just a tough dude who would provide some grit for this squad

The problem is that Sabonis is a passable defender at C (despite his lack of rim protection, the advanced metrics are fairly kind to him) but is a poor defender against wings when forced to guard out on the perimeter.

In short, I don't think it improves the defense at all and it reduces spacing on offense on the other end.

I agree with dude12. If you want better defense, put better defenders on the floor (Edwards, Ellis, Mitchell, Murray, possibly Duarte) either with Sabonis or with Len if Sabonis is struggling to defend.
always such sharp analysis by funkykingston...I am a real fan of his.

Most players have their positions determined by who they can play defense against. I agree with Kingston, Sabonis is not a great defender and would struggle against quicker forwards. That is why he is a natural 5 even with his ball handling and passing ability.

Adding Len or McGee gets you some rim protection and rebounding but not much on offense.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member

It's really not any more complicated than this. We have defenders... they're not seeing the floor very much. The team had so much success last season as an offensive juggernaut that I can understand the hesitancy to mess with what was working. But it's not working nearly as well this season and I think we all know that we're not going to win a playoff series with an all-offense approach. This is where the rubber meets the road as far as the coaching staff committing to their stated goals of building toward sustainable playoff success and prioritizing defense.

In these blowout games the Kings are missing a lot of outside shots but they're also not getting stops and you can afford to miss a lot more shots when you aren't giving up points every time down the floor on the other end. In fact, getting stops allows you to attack on the fast break and create numbers advantages that we're not getting taking the ball out of bounds every play. There's some chicken and egg here with what needs to change first but personally I think we're not going to see meaningful progress on offense until we figure out a defensive gameplan that works with this personnel. Playing from behind just incentivizes settling for more threes. We need to be the agressors on both ends and it's hard to do that when the other team is consistently beating our defense and forcing us to play in desperation mode for much of the game.

Last edited:

I think Sabonis would certainly reduce his defensive numbers as most of his value lies in rebounding and terminating possessions. Luka has a similar type of defensive value. But maybe even more extreme. It will be interesting if either progress in the play-offs.