Rudy Gay Enticed to Opt out of Contract, Test Free Agency

there are few things in life I hope more for than for Bucher to start covering Basketball in Yakutsk. friggin' loathe that dude. given his history with the Kings and their fanbase, everything he writes about that concerns the Kings, especially things that paint a negative picture of their prospects, can be entirely disregarded until someone reputable writes the same thing.

there are few things in life I hope more for than for Bucher to start covering Basketball in Yakutsk. friggin' loathe that dude. given his history with the Kings and their fanbase, everything he writes about that concerns the Kings, especially things that paint a negative picture of their prospects, can be entirely disregarded until someone reputable writes the same thing.
ahhhh. Consider it disregarded.. ;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-enticed-opt-out-of-contract-test-free-agency

I don't know how reliable Ric Bucher is, but he says he had a chance to talk to Rudy Gay and he told him that he is enticed by being a free agent for the first time in his career and being able to choose which team to go to.

I think Gay wouldn't get an offer anywhere close to 19 Mil, so I hope he uses his head and stick with the Kings.
Ric Bucher is an idiot. To give you an idea, he was the ONLY person to vote for Mark Jackson as Coach of the Year. Yes, Rudy did say all of those things but he didn't rule out opting out and staying with Sacramento. This is truly much ado about nothing, which is Bucher's stock in trade.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-enticed-opt-out-of-contract-test-free-agency

I don't know how reliable Ric Bucher is, but he says he had a chance to talk to Rudy Gay and he told him that he is enticed by being a free agent for the first time in his career and being able to choose which team to go to.

I think Gay wouldn't get an offer anywhere close to 19 Mil, so I hope he uses his head and stick with the Kings.
I don't think it's about the 19mil that he will be making. He can sign a more lucrative deal that would give him more security. Like a 5 year 55mil or something there about which imo would be better than 1 year at 19mil.

I don't like Bucher, but the stuff he's saying is pretty much the same thing Gay had said to Grant so I don't know if he's just stealing that quote from Grant's interview or what. I wouldn't put it past Bucher.

"A chance to play with a team with a bright future" **** you too Ric!

Below is a link of Grant tearing him a new one.
http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/?pod...link=true&config_file=config.xml&dcid=CBS.SAC

Ric Bucher dissing Sac!
"A chance to play with a team with a bright future" **** you too Ric! Below is a link of Grant tearing him a new one. http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/?podcast_url=http%3A%2F%2Fcbssacramento.files.wordpress.com%2F2013%2F05%2Frant-on-bucher.mp3&podcast_name=Grant%27s+Rant%3A+Ric+Bucher+5-15-13&podcast_artist=Grant+Napear&station_id=64&audio_link=true&config_file=config.xml&dcid=CBS.SAC

Bucher speaking to seattle radio post Sacramento victory
http://kiroradio.com/listen/9955503/#

I'm not sure what Sacramento has done to Ric to garner such hostility but I'm sure that buffet of Crow he ate tasted awful. As far as Rudy goes if he stays or goes it won't single handed make or break the Kings but it will surely be a interesting off-season.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I don't think it's about the 19mil that he will be making. He can sign a more lucrative deal that would give him more security. Like a 5 year 55mil or something there about which imo would be better than 1 year at 19mil.
Of course, under the new CBA, the only team Rudy can sign a five-year deal with is us. Even a sign-and-trade can only be four.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd be fine with Gay opting out.

Either this season or next season Gay will be a free agent. If he wants to stay long term then let's get a contract done this offseason which will keep him in Sacramento AND offer some salary cap/luxury tax relief. And if he wants to go then I'd rather see him go this offseason rather than costing $19 million next year only to walk after that.

Oh, and Ric Bucher is still a ridiculous blowhard who I think has squandered whatever real contacts he ever had. His coverage and misinformation of the Sacramento/Seattle only confirmed what I had long believed.

The most entertainment I get out of Ric Bucher is how he'll make claims with relative (or occasionally absolute) certainty and then - after been shown to be wrong - will claim that he's not surprised, or that he saw that coming. Don't make the mistake of taking anything he says seriously.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
One way or the other, for us to resign Gay, he'll have to become a freeagent. So it either happens now, or it happens a year from now. Yes, he could opt in for the 19 mil, and then we could work out an extension, but an extension is based on the last year of of the existing contract, which would be 19 mil. That's not likely to happen. As the Capt pointed out, we're the only team that can give him a five year contract, and at a higher percentage of increase if I'm not mistaken . We could give him five years at 60 mil, and have it start at 12 mil the first year, or something close to that. But he has to become a freeagent first.

That said, I certainly wouldn't blame Gay for wanting to have his future in his own hands for once.
Here is a quote from the CBA that references extensions for veteran players.

"A contract that contains an Early Termination Option (ETO) cannot be extended if the ETO is exercised (ending the contract early). A contract with an option can be extended if the player opts-in. A contract with an option can also be extended if the player opts-out, as long as the extension adds at least two new seasons onto the contract (excluding any new option year) and the salary in the first year of the extension is not less than the salary in the non-exercised option year. See question number 58 for more information on options and ETOs."

Obviously the salary in the non-exercised option year would be 19 mil. Not a good starting point.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
The beauty of saying somebody is 'enticed' to enter free agency is that its half a step from saying they are "considering" free agency. Hence if they don't do it, your report isn't wrong per se, because all you said was that they were thinking about it. Its a great way to write a non-article with no consequences.

Mila Kunis is enticed at the prospect of leaving Ashton Kutcher for me too. Now she's not gonna do it, but still...she was enticed. :p

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I may have Rudy totally misunderstood but he has said he is tired of moving and wants to settle down. That I know. I also wonder if he is tired of being the butt of contract jokes. I am projecting a lot but a mild mannered guy like him, a guy who seems to be a perfect gentleman, may want to rehabilitate his image and as I am am a 100% sure that Sacramento's FO are good people to work for and the coach likes him, I think he will stay by opting out and signing a 5 year contract. Wishful thinking has been inserted.

For those who think he isn't worth it, point to someone we can get with all that cap money to replace him. We let Tyreke go and let us not let another great athlete go just because he isn't perfect.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
The beauty of saying somebody is 'enticed' to enter free agency is that its half a step from saying they are "considering" free agency. Hence if they don't do it, your report isn't wrong per se, because all you said was that they were thinking about it. Its a great way to write a non-article with no consequences.

Mila Kunis is enticed at the prospect of leaving Ashton Kutcher for me too. Now she's not gonna do it, but still...she was enticed. :p
Dream on mi amigo, dream on!:rolleyes:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I may have Rudy totally misunderstood but he has said he is tired of moving and wants to settle down. That I know. I also wonder if he is tired of being the butt of contract jokes. I am projecting a lot but a mild mannered guy like him, a guy who seems to be a perfect gentleman, may want to rehabilitate his image and as I am am a 100% sure that Sacramento's FO are good people to work for and the coach likes him, I think he will stay by opting out and signing a 5 year contract. Wishful thinking has been inserted.

For those who think he isn't worth it, point to someone we can get with all that cap money to replace him. We let Tyreke go and let us not let another great athlete go just because he isn't perfect.
From what Gay as said recently, it seems he wants to be able to control where he goes for once. He may ultimately decide he likes Sacramento and resign with us. I certainly hope so, but once on the market, who knows what kind of offers he'll get. There aren't any guarantees. He's stated, that at this point in his career, he wants to win, and I can't blame him. Its up to Vivek and company to convince him that the Kings are just a stones throw, and maybe one player away from the playoffs.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
From what Gay as said recently, it seems he wants to be able to control where he goes for once. He may ultimately decide he likes Sacramento and resign with us. I certainly hope so, but once on the market, who knows what kind of offers he'll get. There aren't any guarantees. He's stated, that at this point in his career, he wants to win, and I can't blame him. Its up to Vivek and company to convince him that the Kings are just a stones throw, and maybe one player away from the playoffs.
The trouble is that the one player may be Rudy. I think some role players will be rearranged and I have hopes that the McRookies will be rotation players and will improve. Certainly he wants to win. A lot of players have enjoyed playing here. Maybe I've got more hope than you do. Curiously, I don't feel desperate to resign him although I think it will be a big set back and I'm not getting any younger OUR patient.

Unfortunately we made that one decision to sign Landry which may block some decent signings for quite some time. I have faith in the charm of Vivek and the passion of Malone. I hope he doesn't opt out and gets another year here. Add 10 more wins and he may become a believer. If we don't add 10 wins, I wouldn't blame him for leaving.

BTW, and I am not the type to do such research, are their winning teams that can add a guy making roughly $14 mil per year as a free agent? We have Bird Rights and no one else does.

I like Rudy as a classy guy who although seeming to be a mild mannered guy seems also to have a fire burning in him. I suspect some youngsters look up to him as others may even look up to Boogie. Two different kinds of guys who are both skilled and want to win very badly.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
The trouble is that the one player may be Rudy. I think some role players will be rearranged and I have hopes that the McRookies will be rotation players and will improve. Certainly he wants to win. A lot of players have enjoyed playing here. Maybe I've got more hope than you do. Curiously, I don't feel desperate to resign him although I think it will be a big set back and I'm not getting any younger OUR patient.

Unfortunately we made that one decision to sign Landry which may block some decent signings for quite some time. I have faith in the charm of Vivek and the passion of Malone. I hope he doesn't opt out and gets another year here. Add 10 more wins and he may become a believer. If we don't add 10 wins, I wouldn't blame him for leaving.

BTW, and I am not the type to do such research, are their winning teams that can add a guy making roughly $14 mil per year as a free agent? We have Bird Rights and no one else does.

I like Rudy as a classy guy who although seeming to be a mild mannered guy seems also to have a fire burning in him. I suspect some youngsters look up to him as others may even look up to Boogie. Two different kinds of guys who are both skilled and want to win very badly.
I didn't mean to imply that I didn't have hope. Actually I have a lot of hope. I'm fairly optimistic about our resigning Gay. I was just pointing out that there are no guarantees. Anytime a player heads into unrestricted freeagency, your in uncharted waters with that player. However your right, we do hold his Bird rights and we can offer him more than anyone else for five years. I'm sure the Kings don't have a problem with five years, but the more than anyone else may be the stickly point. If someone offers him the max, then were probably out of the picture. However, I'd be very surprised if anyone does. But you never know. You have the Lakers sitting there with plenty of money and desperate to put some good players around Kobe.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I didn't mean to imply that I didn't have hope. Actually I have a lot of hope. I'm fairly optimistic about our resigning Gay. I was just pointing out that there are no guarantees. Anytime a player heads into unrestricted freeagency, your in uncharted waters with that player. However your right, we do hold his Bird rights and we can offer him more than anyone else for five years. I'm sure the Kings don't have a problem with five years, but the more than anyone else may be the stickly point. If someone offers him the max, then were probably out of the picture. However, I'd be very surprised if anyone does. But you never know. You have the Lakers sitting there with plenty of money and desperate to put some good players around Kobe.
Kobe is going to die of old age before you and I.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Of course Rudy is going to consider his options. Not doing so would be foolish. I think he does like the fact our FO wanted him while most around the league wanted nothing to do with him. I think he does like playing with Cuz and fans chanting "Rudy, Rudy" when he's at the FT line can't hurt either.

I also however think what we do with our PG situation will weigh heavily. Rudy's most frustrating times with us I saw were when he was standing there watching our PG's dribble in circles, then jack up contested shots. Malone showed zero ability to reel in our PG's to play more a team game and as others have brought up, it might be a systematic issue with Malone that he wants his PG's being aggressive.

If I was Rudy I would opt out, then make my decision on returning based on us clearing out some of the guys who need the ball to contribute. Surround Rudy/Cuz with 3&D guys and less trigger happy PG's then I'd stay. Bring back everyone and concentrate more on adding firepower like PDA said yesterday in his interview, I'm on the first plane out of town. If PDA screws up this offseason, I'll want him on the next plane out of town too.

Of course Rudy is going to consider his options. Not doing so would be foolish. I think he does like the fact our FO wanted him while most around the league wanted nothing to do with him. I think he does like playing with Cuz and fans chanting "Rudy, Rudy" when he's at the FT line can't hurt either.

I also however think what we do with our PG situation will weigh heavily. Rudy's most frustrating times with us I saw were when he was standing there watching our PG's dribble in circles, then jack up contested shots. Malone showed zero ability to reel in our PG's to play more a team game and as others have brought up, it might be a systematic issue with Malone that he wants his PG's being aggressive.

If I was Rudy I would opt out, then make my decision on returning based on us clearing out some of the guys who need the ball to contribute. Surround Rudy/Cuz with 3&D guys and less trigger happy PG's then I'd stay. Bring back everyone and concentrate more on adding firepower like PDA said yesterday in his interview, I'm on the first plane out of town. If PDA screws up this offseason, I'll want him on the next plane out of town too.
Great. Now if Rudy leaves, I can look forward to a deluge of posts here blaming IT and a deluge of posts at sactownroyalty blaming Cousins.

One way or the other, for us to resign Gay, he'll have to become a freeagent. So it either happens now, or it happens a year from now. Yes, he could opt in for the 19 mil, and then we could work out an extension, but an extension is based on the last year of of the existing contract, which would be 19 mil. That's not likely to happen. As the Capt pointed out, we're the only team that can give him a five year contract, and at a higher percentage of increase if I'm not mistaken . We could give him five years at 60 mil, and have it start at 12 mil the first year, or something close to that. But he has to become a freeagent first.

That said, I certainly wouldn't blame Gay for wanting to have his future in his own hands for once.
Here is a quote from the CBA that references extensions for veteran players.

"A contract that contains an Early Termination Option (ETO) cannot be extended if the ETO is exercised (ending the contract early). A contract with an option can be extended if the player opts-in. A contract with an option can also be extended if the player opts-out, as long as the extension adds at least two new seasons onto the contract (excluding any new option year) and the salary in the first year of the extension is not less than the salary in the non-exercised option year. See question number 58 for more information on options and ETOs."

Obviously the salary in the non-exercised option year would be 19 mil. Not a good starting point.
Your misreading the FAQ. The extension can be any amount up to 107.5% of the last year of the contract. The part referring to the previous year contract salary being more is for the option year itself. Meaning if there is an option year in the contract then the option year must be more than the previous year. It does not limit where an extensions first year begins.

Gay has an option year, not an ETO.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q59

The salary in the first year of a veteran extension may be any amount up to 107.5% of the player's previous salary5, but no more than the player's maximum salary in that season (i.e., the maximum salary the player can receive if he were to sign a new contract that year as a free agent -- see question numbers 16 and 17).
So if Rudy doesn't opt in then the only the first year must be more than this years contract. The next 2 years can be for less. So basically he would be getting paid the same next year either way.

Also, he would need to opt out and sign the extension before July 1st otherwise it's no longer an extension.

Last edited:
I have a feeling that we will see Rudy opt out to re-sign with us on a longer deal. Similar to what Richard Jefferson did with the Spurs a few years back!

I also think IT is gone. Someone will make him a stupid offer. I don't see us matching anything over $6m per season!

gunks

Hall of Famer
If we lose Rudy and keep IT, I'd like to see us go hard after Deng.

If we lose IT, then I'd like us to keep Rudy.

If we lose IT AND Rudy.....Whelp, at least we'll have cap space and a high lotto pick next season.

If we pay big to keep both IT and Rudy... Welcome to treadmill land (unless PDA pulls his head out of his *** and gets us some defensive role players).

Glenn

Hall of Famer
i hope rudy gay stays even if he opts out. i would give him a contract like cousins', maybe just a little less.
Exactly. Make it a tad less to symbolically represent their relative positions on the Kings. I am not so cavalier about losing Rudy. I am tired of being 2nd rate and no matter what the criticisms of Rudy, he is waaaay above average. Are we so great we can let great players go?