(Revised poll) Include Hawes or Thompson for Rubio?

Who would you include in a trade with Memphis to move up and get Rubio?

• Hawes

Votes: 8 8.1%
  • Thompson

Votes: 13 13.1%
  • Neither

Votes: 78 78.8%

• Total voters
I am not sure if this would be better as a poll or not, but I was curious what everyone thought about this. I understand that many people would not want to include Spencer or Jason in any type of trade with Memphis in order to get Rubio. If that was the only option and Petrie had to include one of the two who would you prefer the Kings include in a deal and why?

I personally think that Petrie and the Maloofs need to get Rubio. I think it is pretty clear based off of polls on this forum that fans want Rubio on the Kings and would not be satisfied with any of the other PG's in the draft.

If your only response is neither, please do not hijack this thread!!!!

Last edited:
Poll needs a option for neither, because that's my answer.

EDIT - Just read the OP and sorry for "hijacking" the thread. :)

... But my answer still stands. If we HAVE to trade one or the other for Rubio, I say we avoid it at all costs.

Last edited:
I am not sure if this would be better as a poll or not, but I was curious what everyone thought about this. I understand that many people would not want to include Spencer or Jason in any type of trade with Memphis in order to get Rubio. If that was the only option and Petrie had to include one of the two who would you prefer the Kings include in a deal and why?

I personally think that Petrie and the Maloofs need to get Rubio. I think it is pretty clear based off of polls on this forum that fans want Rubio on the Kings and would not be satisfied with any of the other PG's in the draft.

I totally disagree with this premise. This draft is rich in point guards, more so than any other position player, who all have star player potential. I would be happy with Flynn, Curry, or Jennings with #4 too, or with BPA at #4 and Teague, Lawson, Mills, Maynor, etc. with one of the later picks. Don't waste a good front court tandem when you get one.

Don't do it joey. No reason to trade either one of them for a point guard when this draft is loaded with them. No thanx!

Last edited:
I totally disagree with this premise. This draft is rich in point guards, more so than any other position player, who all have star player potential. I would be happy with Flynn, Curry, or Jennings with #4 too, or with BPA at #4 and Teague, Lawson, Mills, Maynor, etc. with one of the later picks. Don't waste a good front court tandem when you get one.

Don't do it joey. No reason to trade either one of them for a point guard when this draft is loaded with them. No thanx!
Um, no.

well...

I wouldnt mind Francisco or Noc along with either Beno or KT (or maybe both) for the second round draft pick, but i doubt Memphis will go for taking any more wingmen.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Cake or death would be a better option. As stated by others. You have to have a neither, which is my choice.

Lets try this. Who would you trade the second pick for? Beno or Kenny Thomas?

If "none" was an option in the poll then I think everyone would select it. I also understand that people would include Garcia or Beno in a trade over Hawes or Thompson, that is why they were not included in the Poll. Memphis is not going to trade a #2 pick for a #4 pick straight up. Petrie would have to give up a player that Memphis would actually want.

Last edited:
If neither was an option then I think everyone would select it. I also understand that people would include Garcia or Beno in a trade over Hawes or Thompson, that is why they were not included in the Poll. Memphis is not going to trade a #2 pick for a #4 pick straight up. Petrie would have to give up a player that Memphis would actually want.
Err...why didn't you just start a "Who do you like more, Hawes or Thompson?" thread? Or maybe one about who would fit better with Rubio. As it is, I don't think the question has much potential for discussion.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
If neither was an option then I think everyone would select it. I also understand that people would include Garcia or Beno in a trade over Hawes or Thompson, that is why they were not included in the Poll. Memphis is not going to trade a #2 pick for a #4 pick straight up. Petrie would have to give up a player that Memphis would actually want.
The whole idea of a poll is to find out what people think. If neither would be the choice, then I think you have your answer. To try and force people to make an unpopular choice is ridiculous. In your quote above, you seem to have answered your own question. Therefore I don't see the reason for this poll.

L

Lafayette

There is zero reason to trade either of these players. If we don't get Rubio then there's Tyreke or Jrue and plenty of other that I think cat start right out of the gate. I think Rubio will fall to the Kings and I tell you what, if somehow the Kings can get Thabeet, then take him.

I think Hawes is the more expendable of the two, but why should that happen? Not only because it's a very high price for moving up 2 spots, but also because Memphis already has a good C, and if they really wanted another, they'd draft Thabeet. So trading Hawes seems illogical to me, for both sides.

Memphis' bench must be just about the worst in the NBA. That's something we could help them with.

But give them JT to move from 4 to 2? Based on the rate at which people are replying to this poll, I think it's safe to say that at least 80% wouldn't do that, and it wouldn't surprise me if it were over 90%. Geoff is notoriously conservative when it comes to personnel, so if that's the fan reaction, I really cannot imagine him going for the idea of trading a big who's known to be good for a speculative draft upgrade. He'd probably decide that we'd be better off just drafting somebody else. I would, too.

Besides, who likes being extorted?

I have a truck that I don't need for anything. Would you like to send me $100,000 cash for it, or shall I expect payment in gold?

Last edited:
Including either one in a trade to move up 2 spots is ridiculous. So as everyone else my answer is neither. You don't fill one big hole on your team by creating another one.

Yeah I'm not even a huge Hawes supporter, but I wouldn't include him in that trade. The 23rd pick? Maybe. I think there's a chance that all of the stuff in regards to how much we like Holiday and Evans is posturing to OKC and Mem that we're not going to give up Hawes or Thompson to select Rubio.

Edit - I mean #23+#4 = #2

Last edited:
I'd be willing to move Hawes straight up for the #2 if it meant getting both Thabeet and Rubio. That has a chance to profoundly change our defensive prospects for the better.

I vote for neither. However, if I had to trade one I would trade JT instead of Hawes. Hawes plays a harder position to replace, is 3 years younger, and has higher upside. I love JT, but considering how middling we will likely be again next season, I don't think it would be that hard to find another competent PF.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
]
Sorry but not having neither really throws off the merit of the poll, IMHO. I added because I think you'll see there are a lot more people who want Rubio but wouldn't trade either Hawes or JT to get him...