Rebuild Strategy (or WE WANT LINS!)

How would you like the rebuild handled?

• Wouldn't change a thing. Joeger and Vlade doing it right.

Votes: 22 52.4%
  • Only youth plays no vets

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • Somewhere in the middle

Votes: 10 23.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Clips fire sale has begun!

They're about to beast in the lin column.
And I can't wait. Clippers fans will be burning their jerseys to the point where air pollution will become an issue. The Clip fan is not a patient fan. The Clip fan does NOT understand tanking. The Clip fan will get their old Lakers jerseys out of the closet in a heartbeat.

Jason Jones wrote an article about Joerger's plan. http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nba/sacramento-kings/kings-blog/article194830284.html

This is a point I've been reiterating for a while now. Will Fox show enough to be a franchise player? If he does, you build around him with the 2018 draft pick. Is WCS going to be consistent enough to be our franchise C? Can Skal do more than just flash potential every 3 games as a future PF?

I think here's the only positions we'd be most confident with moving ahead:

PG: Fox
SG: Bogdan/Buddy
SF:
PF:
C: WCS

Now, what we need is for someone on this roster to breakout and look like a franchise player. No one has had a game that made me stop and say, "he's going to be THE guy". It's going to be a tough challenge to put on them..but I'm really happy we'll give Fox the opportunity to try it out freely. Give him the keys and see what happens.

Wow. You’re real confident in a Center who can’t rebound, hit 3s, or play Consistent D.

I hope WCS is not the future starter. He’s marginally better than Jason Thompson.

I am afraid the Kings are going to break the bank for WCS. He’s not worth more than 10-12/yr

If the Kings Draft Ayton or Bagley, WCS can come off the bench or be traded.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Wow. You’re real confident in a Center who can’t rebound, hit 3s, or play Consistent D.

I hope WCS is not the future starter. He’s marginally better than Jason Thompson.

I am afraid the Kings are going to break the bank for WCS. He’s not worth more than 10-12/yr

If the Kings Draft Ayton or Bagley, WCS can come off the bench or be traded.
Oh please. WCS was better than Jason T. the first time he stepped onto the court.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Trill is improving. I still hate how inconsistent he is, and when he's featured on offense it's always an adventure, but he's starting to put it together.

If we indeed luck out and use a top pick on one of this draft's premier bigs, it will be interesting to see where Willie ends up in the bigman pecking order, especially with Giles supposedly being the truth.

I think it's too early to have this conversation though. And I think WCS is quite a bit better than JT, myself (however dubious that honor might be).

One of my hot-button issues with this board for several years was the posters who insisted that Jason Thompson was a really good player. NOT! I posted and counter-posted about him many times and I never believed for a second that he was who the Thompson apologists thought he was. So when you say WCS is only marginally better than JT, methinks you're a jokester. When we finally got rid of him and he couldn't find any other NBA team to take him, the writing was on the wall. Oh wait, it had been there the whole time!

In a few years Willie will be in his prime, and I believe he is going to be a damn fine player. His passing vision and execution gets better and better. He excels at switching onto any position and holding his own and then some. If we, as a team, learn to rotate on switches like a well oiled machine his supposed defensive lapses will be all but eliminated. He shows more confidence with his jumper every game and appears to be working on extending beyond the three point line. His ability to sprint down the court like no other 7 footer in the league is perfect for the current NBA meta. Instead of trying to shoehorn Willie into some preconceived role, let him be himself. There haven't been any other bigs like him.

A lot of fans like to point to Willie's shot-blocking as a sign of his lack of rim protection. When you watch him during a game it is amazing how many times he helps to stop penetration into the lane. This doesn't show up in any stats, but I find it interesting that the Kings gave up 50 pts in the paint to the Spurs.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
One of my hot-button issues with this board for several years was the posters who insisted that Jason Thompson was a really good player.
My memory is hazy but I thought the nicest things we said about him were that he'd make a fine backup if this team ever had a credible front line. I don't recall even his biggest fans suggesting he was a starting caliber player on a playoff team.

As for the other poster's hot take, WCS clearly has a place in the league. He has improved and shows a much better attitude than JT ever did. NBA salaries are still finding equilibrium and I'm not sure what the proper value on a guy like WCS is, but I'm sure someone will pay over market as is the trend any time a free agent enters the market. Regardless of what his limitations are there is certainly one of 29 other GMs out there that will overpay if we don't.

My memory is hazy but I thought the nicest things we said about him were that he'd make a fine backup if this team ever had a credible front line. I don't recall even his biggest fans suggesting he was a starting caliber player on a playoff team.
I remember pretty clearly the term "Poor man's Chris Webber" being used to describe Jason Thompson. Poverty is relative I suppose, so that leaves a lot of leeway.

gunks

Hall of Famer
JT as a poor man's Webber? I think some optimists might have made that comparison after he dropped 20/10 in his first NBA game, but I think we all came down to earth after his rookie season.

I was a diehard JT apologist. But I was defending his abilities as a decent roleplayer, nothing more.

...Also more of a positive impact than Landry, but that wasn't saying much. Landry was so terrible, we won't have a pick next year.

That would be a smart move, so don't hold your breath. 28 wins and pick 8, here we come!
There are a ton of bad teams this year on top of other teams who are tanking. I'm serious.. if the Kings keep riding on the backs of their vets, this pick will end up 10-13 range when it's all said and done.

There are a ton of bad teams this year on top of other teams who are tanking. I'm serious.. if the Kings keep riding on the backs of their vets, this pick will end up 10-13 range when it's all said and done.
Well then Miles Bridges will be there and there will be much rejoicing.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Too early to panic, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if this ends up being the case.

Turner was definitely vet happy tonight. Would’ve liked to see Jackson and Bogie get more minutes, hell, even Fox only played 27, he should be in the 32-35 range.

I understand Koufus and Z-Bo playing a lot. We’ve got no WCS or Skal, but cmon man get your rooks some minutes.
Yep that was the definition of a worthless win that could cost the Kings a top 5 player. 4 vets the entire 4th quarter.

Miles needs to show a lot more wiggle room. Have been really disappointed in his progression as a player this year. Don't feel like he's improved anywhere.
He's still a very intriguing prospect to me and he's actually younger than our very own D. Fox at 19 years old fwiw.

You mean like what happened last year when we went 7-9 for the last 16 games and still went with vets much of the time?

At the ASB, take the King's draft position and add 4 to it and that's where I feel we'll end up. The argument that we still have time to tank or catch the other teams and that it's too early to tell means nothing to me because we've already seen that's not how they operate.

He's still a very intriguing prospect to me and he's actually younger than our very own D. Fox at 19 years old fwiw.
Well then Miles Bridges will be there and there will be much rejoicing.
Anybody that rejoices is walking out of this draft with bridges is an utter fool. Perfect time to be bad and we play ourselves out of it cause of ZBo and temple **** outta here. At least Chicago is winning with there young guys. Smh I’m pissed we are ****ing up bad

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Turner was definitely vet happy tonight. Would’ve liked to see Jackson and Bogie get more minutes, hell, even Fox only played 27, he should be in the 32-35 range.

I understand Koufus and Z-Bo playing a lot. We’ve got no WCS or Skal, but cmon man get your rooks some minutes.
I've posted Carmichael Dave's tweet in two different threads so I won't repeat it here, especially since I've promised not to participate in this thread. ;)

BUT, we all of a sudden have a bench full of rookies with questionable injuries and we play our veterans MAJOR minutes. Gee, I wonder why that could be? Hrm, let me think... Sitting rookies, showcasing veterans. Why would Elston Turner (with the real head coach conveniently already sent home) do that? Why, why, why?????

Some of you (speaking in general terms here) need to take a deep breath and relax and THINK for a minute. Seriously.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Sorry VF21, some of us aren't as eager to give this franchise the benefit of the doubt as you are. A decade and a half of **** ups from every sorry FO assembled by the Maloofs or Vivek has given us pause on the optimism.

However, showcasing the vets pre deadline would make sense if this were a competently run operation. Perhaps Vlade has learned from his mistake of signing said vets in the first place?

Deadline is coming up, and I'd be happy to eat crow on this one.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

Fox has a bruised leg and lingering abdominal pain. I'm all for giving the kids minutes but not at the point where its endangering their longterm health (heck Bogie's pretty much been playing nonstop for an entire year so I even appreciate the minute management there).

Considering how awful our vets have been for most of the season, wouldn't having them play a heavy minute load actually be the best way to tank going forward?

I've posted Carmichael Dave's tweet in two different threads so I won't repeat it here, especially since I've promised not to participate in this thread. ;)

BUT, we all of a sudden have a bench full of rookies with questionable injuries and we play our veterans MAJOR minutes. Gee, I wonder why that could be? Hrm, let me think... Sitting rookies, showcasing veterans. Why would Elston Turner (with the real head coach conveniently already sent home) do that? Why, why, why?????

Some of you (speaking in general terms here) need to take a deep breath and relax and THINK for a minute. Seriously.
We shall see if anyone gets traded and your correct. I suspect you are reaching. The same could have been accomplished without 4 guys on the floor together for extended minutes.

They better trade some of these vets. These wins are a complete joke if the young guns aren't getting the reps on the floor in crunch time to learn how to win games. But this is so Kangz that I can't really be that mad. Kangz history tells me that this is real probability:

That would be a smart move, so don't hold your breath. 28 wins and pick 8, here we come!
And that the Kings will trade it for #14 and #21 because Kangz. :D

I get playing ZBo and Koufos more than usual with Skal and WCS out but there's no excuse for playing the vets as much as Elston Turner did. He was going for the win over development, plain and simple.

JJ and Bogie with 18min a piece. Hield with 22min. Papa with 11min.

Meanwhile KK at 37. ZBo 32. Temple 32. Hill played 28 (one more min than Fox in a game where Fox played well).

Never thought I'd say this but I can't wait for Joerger to take over the rotations again.