Potential Free agent/trade/sign tracker

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree a 2 year deal for him and I'd try trade Huerter for Grant Williams more toughness/D as well. While Jeremi Grant is a good player he makes to much money to not be a legit #2 option which the Kings need and similar to Murray both are just to passive for it.
Isaac isn't a FA. The Kings would need to trade for him. I didn't see that as all that realistic given what the Kings have to offer, but looking at Orlando's cap situation and Isaac's history of injuries, and I think it's possible. After next season Franz Wagner and Jalen Suggs will be RFAs and Mo Wagner and Isaac will be UFAs. The next off-season they'll have to pay Banchero and potentially Wendell Carter Jr.

It makes some sense to get what they can for Isaac this summer if they aren't certain about extending him after next year. And with the big money they'll have to shell out for Wagner and Banchero, he may be more gettable than I previously thought.

Either Huerter or Barnes and Portland's 2025 2nd rounder might be enough. Huerter gives them the shooting they lack (especially if they swing and miss on Klay) or Barnes gives them a backup 3/4 and a steady vet with championship experience.

I'd still love to see a sign & trade of Hartenstein to the Kings as well. I wish McNair had drafted Sengun as I wanted. If you want to run the same offense with Domas on the bench, Sengun would be ideal, though he's too good to stay in a backup role at this point. Hartenstein is the next best thing. He rebounds and screens very effectively and is a great passer, though he lacks Sabonis' post game.

Re-sign Monk & Len and draft Ron Holland at #14 (I'd say swing for Saulan but he has OKC pick written all over him) and Mark Sears at #45 for some scoring punch and you have a pretty solid roster. Here I have them declining Duarte's option just for the roster crunch. but they have that option as well.

C Sabonis/Hartenstein/Len
PF Isaac/Lyles/Vezenkov
SF Murray/Edwards/Holland
SG Ellis/Monk/Jones
PG Fox/Mitchell/Sears

Two way: Jalen Slawson and Mason Jones

One thing about a trade for Jerami Grant is that we have all assumed that it would be Huerter and Barnes to make salaries match. But actually, any of these three deals would match salary-wise

1) Huerter and Barnes for Grant
2) Huerter and Sasha for Grant
3) Barnes and Sasha for Grant

The first one clears the most salary for us, but also make Portland take on the most long term salary and without clear upside players for them. They might prefer a trade involving Sasha because he probably has more NBA upside of the 3, and also has the lowest cap hit. If the Kings are really worried about losing Monk, we might prefer option 3, since it allows us to keep Huerter. Or if we know Monk is staying, or if the trade happens after Monk resigns, we would likely prefer to send Huerter in a package and might prefer option #2.

To me, the best option would be: 1) resign Monk; 2) trade Huerter and Sasha and draft compensation for Grant; and 3) convince Barnes that he can better contribute to the team playing 24 minutes per game as a focused offensive option off the bench. You'd have a top 10 as follows:

Sabonis/Len
Grant/Lyles
Keegan/Barnes
Ellis/Monk
Fox/Mitchell

Deeper bench- Javale, Duarte, Colby, Kessler, Slawson, Ford, and a few open roster spots. You would also still have the MLE to improve the roster.

Minutes breakdown:
Sabonis (32); Len (8); Lyles (8)
Grant (28) Lyles (10); Barnes (10)
Keegan (32) Barnes (12) Monk (4)
Ellis (24) Monk (24)
Fox (32) Mitchell (16)

Sabonis, Fox, Keegan- 32
Grant, Monk - 28
Keon- 24
Barnes- 22
Lyles- 18
Mitchell- 16
Len- 8

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I don't know why Portland would want Barnes and it's sort of doing him dirty to send him there, but if it's true that he's such a locker room guy, Portland does need someone of high character to help their young core.

But damn, I'd feel a lot better about shipping him to a contender. But hey, it's about making us better so...

If Colby takes a jump like Keon, then that sets us up with another cheaper salary from a contributor. I think he’s a year away from taking a jump…..shooting needs to improve as well as his handle.

also am super intrigued with Slawson as a bench guy….if he knock down the 3 then he jumps up in talent.
I have Slawson as a longshot compared to Colby but both are intriguing.

Monte has an archetype for 2nd rounders and I can't say I disagree. He likes multi tool players who can handle the ball some, pass and defend. The reason why they're 2nd rounders is because they can't shoot well enough yet. Luckily shooting is one of the more improvable skills so he stocks up on these types and hopes some of them develop a shot and are instantly rotational players.

Keon did it and hopefully Colby and Slawson can as well. I think Slawson's shot has a really long way to go. Colby's is closer but still not ready yet. It'll be interesting to see if they can improve after the offseason.

I don't know why Portland would want Barnes and it's sort of doing him dirty to send him there, but if it's true that he's such a locker room guy, Portland does need someone of high character to help their young core.

But damn, I'd feel a lot better about shipping him to a contender. But hey, it's about making us better so...
I agree. I think Huerter and Sasha is a better package from Portland's perspective, and also allows us to keep Barnes as a valuable bench contributor.

I agree. I think Huerter and Sasha is a better package from Portland's perspective, and also allows us to keep Barnes as a valuable bench contributor.
Davion has played a lot better lately, I think if Monk returns there is a bit of a crunch with the G foursome anyway. Fox, Ellis, Monk, and Mitchell might not be a feasible thing going forward since guard ball looks to be being phased out somewhat around the league. The Warriors ignored it all year and found out the hard way themselves. Huerter and Davion as a package for Grant if need be and Monk returning is a decent option going into next season. The issue remains though that the Kings when playing Fox, Keon, and Monk together with Keegan and Domas haven't had much success in terms of the ratings. The defense falls of a cliff. The Kings running more actual traditional small ball with two forwards has been a big part of why the defense has turned around.

In addition to Grant, I’d keep a close eye on what the Warriors want to do with Wiggins. He’s another long, athletic forward who can defend, space the floor, and provide scoring.
Considering we just went 0-6 against the Pelicans length this season, maybe we should just trade for both Wiggins and Grant and put out a starting lineup of Fox-Wiggins-Murray-Grant-Sabonis…

Considering we just went 0-6 against the Pelicans length this season, maybe we should just trade for both Wiggins and Grant and put out a starting lineup of Fox-Wiggins-Murray-Grant-Sabonis…
No way do the Kings have the assets for that. Wiggins is iffy to me. It would be very difficult for the Warriors and Kings to make a deal considering they are pretty much neck and neck in the same conference. That's a 50/50 of if they get better than you after the trade even if your team is better you might have just pushed yourself back in the pack even more so what was the point?

In addition to Grant, I’d keep a close eye on what the Warriors want to do with Wiggins. He’s another long, athletic forward who can defend, space the floor, and provide scoring.
the risk with Wiggins is pretty big. If he doesn’t turn it around you might have to attach assets to get off his deal just like the Warriors might have to. He’s intriguing but I don’t think he is enough of an upgrade over Barnes when factoring in the risk and contract. I suppose if it was KVon and Duarte for Wiggins and a second round pick I’d consider it if Brown gave his blessing

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
the risk with Wiggins is pretty big. If he doesn’t turn it around you might have to attach assets to get off his deal just like the Warriors might have to. He’s intriguing but I don’t think he is enough of an upgrade over Barnes when factoring in the risk and contract. I suppose if it was KVon and Duarte for Wiggins and a second round pick I’d consider it if Brown gave his blessing
From a statistical point of view, it's pretty hard to make a case that Wiggins is a better overall player than Barnes, this year or even going back four years. He seems to be a better defender, but Barnes is a much more efficient offensive player. So, for a swap that we would have to hope is net-positive, we would be committing the team to an extra year of contract and an extra $48M of salary. Maybe that grass isn't really greener after all.

From a statistical point of view, it's pretty hard to make a case that Wiggins is a better overall player than Barnes, this year or even going back four years. He seems to be a better defender, but Barnes is a much more efficient offensive player. So, for a swap that we would have to hope is net-positive, we would be committing the team to an extra year of contract and an extra $48M of salary. Maybe that grass isn't really greener after all.
I’d argue he was pretty fantastic for 2 years and then was derailed largely due to some struggles off the court last season. He just hasn’t been the same, I’m guessing that family life stuff really wrecked him. Here’s hoping things are better for him on a personal level but it’s just hard to know whay that means on the court moving forward

Just some quick thoughts on Monk after the loss here.

-Has to sting for him to be on the sidelines and not get a chance to compete down the stretch and in the play-in games. If anything, I think it might have showed him how valuable his role to this team is and how much of a focal point offensively he is. Can he find that elsewhere with another squad? With his best-friend no less? I'd be feeling all kinds of unfinished business from his perspective

-I just don't see him going to a losing squad. Utah/SAS have the cap to go and get him, but is he going to go sign up for a rebuilding situation for his prime contract? After losing the first 5 years of his career? Seems unlikely.

-Orlando is the big threat. Winner, East team, good young core. But will he have the same role there as he does here? Does Orlando move off their bevy of young guys to go pay Monk 25mil/season (which I think is what he'd need to even consider leaving us). That seems dubious at best too.

All in all, assuming we offer the 4/78, I'm just not worried he's going to leave. I don't think a team drops 100 mil on him and I think even at like 4/90, he'd probably stay with Sac, where he has a massive offensive role/importance to the team, gets to stay with his best friend and gets to continue to build a legacy here in Sac that he's been a crucial part of.

Just some quick thoughts on Monk after the loss here.

-Has to sting for him to be on the sidelines and not get a chance to compete down the stretch and in the play-in games. If anything, I think it might have showed him how valuable his role to this team is and how much of a focal point offensively he is. Can he find that elsewhere with another squad? With his best-friend no less? I'd be feeling all kinds of unfinished business from his perspective

-I just don't see him going to a losing squad. Utah/SAS have the cap to go and get him, but is he going to go sign up for a rebuilding situation for his prime contract? After losing the first 5 years of his career? Seems unlikely.

-Orlando is the big threat. Winner, East team, good young core. But will he have the same role there as he does here? Does Orlando move off their bevy of young guys to go pay Monk 25mil/season (which I think is what he'd need to even consider leaving us). That seems dubious at best too.

All in all, assuming we offer the 4/78, I'm just not worried he's going to leave. I don't think a team drops 100 mil on him and I think even at like 4/90, he'd probably stay with Sac, where he has a massive offensive role/importance to the team, gets to stay with his best friend and gets to continue to build a legacy here in Sac that he's been a crucial part of.
I hope you are right but Fox’s press conference sure sounded like a guy that knows his buddy is leaving if more money is available. Sucks that we have to wait so long to find out

I am not sure why people think Monk would leave if we offer the max we can offer. No team is paying him more than 20m a year

Also, we need to think about the 3rd star. Lavine is the first name on my mind.

I was a big proponent of getting Wiggins but his passive mentality and inconsistent effort are things that make me pause. I understand that he has some off court issues but even at this best he was very inconsistent. Not some one you can rely on and definitely not at that price point.

No way do the Kings have the assets for that. Wiggins is iffy to me. It would be very difficult for the Warriors and Kings to make a deal considering they are pretty much neck and neck in the same conference. That's a 50/50 of if they get better than you after the trade even if your team is better you might have just pushed yourself back in the pack even more so what was the point?
How much value do you think Wiggins and Grant hold? Their contracts is what makes them gettable from an asset perspective IMO.

except we need defensive length on the wing much more than iso scoring. I’m not sold on Wiggins given age and contract length but he does provide some of what we lack.

After getting our asses best beat by the Pels, I'd be going 2 of there own.
JV and Naji Marshall.

JV huge upgrade for a backup C and you could put those two Lithuanian monsters in at the same time

And Naji Marshall. Man I hated the guy, but he's one you need. Tough, plays D, shoots corner 3's and gets in your face.

We need more of those types of players.

Trade HB, Sasha, Duarte and Davion (only bcoz we got a guard crunch)

Sign Pat Bev as Davison's replacement.

This team needs some toughness

Jerami Grant

for

Kevin Huerter
Sasha Vezenkov
Chris Duarte

If we can resign Monk, I really like our rotation after that trade…

Fox (34) / Mitchell (10) / Monk (4)
Ellis (24) / Monk (24)
Murray (30) / Barnes (18)
Grant (30) / Barnes (6) / Lyles (12)
Sabonis (34) / Len (8) / Lyles (6)

Fox = 34 min
Sabonis = 34 min
Murray = 30 min
Grant = 30 min
Monk = 28 min
Ellis = 24 min
Barnes = 24 min
Lyles = 18 min
Mitchell = 10 min
Len = 8 min

The trade makes too much sense not to happen ;)

How much value do you think Wiggins and Grant hold? Their contracts is what makes them gettable from an asset perspective IMO.
The talk was a first involved with Grant which I'm iffy on with that contract, but I think a player like Grant will have more value with how the bar is clearly set with size at the F spot and guard oriented units getting stomped recently. The Warriors likely won't be giving away Wiggins to a direct competitor either.

except we need defensive length on the wing much more than iso scoring. I’m not sold on Wiggins given age and contract length but he does provide some of what we lack.
No, they need the scoring regardless and results proved it. The fact that the Kings went from the opposite ends of the spectrum on offense and defense in the span of one year basically turning into a top defensive team at the end and the record didn't really change much proved it's a talent issue, and the Kings need another player to be able to compete with these teams that can take away the DHO. Hopefully they can get a little of both in the same body.