Pistons waive Josh smith

Is it not a bit revealing that we are trying to get a first round pick?
Yeah, it's reveling about a few things.

That despite how bad the salary commitment combined long term for Thompson/Landry, that Smith alone is still not worth it. I don't blame SVG for saying no to a first mandate either, but 5 years is a lot of time to be paying that money on the stretch for them.

Was worse than this.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nba/pistons/2014/12/22/josh-smith-detroit-pistons/20760861/
The team (5-23) has been actively shopping Smith the last few weeks, but the only interest came from the Sacramento Kings, who were asking for a first-round pick to take Smith. The Pistons countered with the possibility of a protected first-rounder in a few seasons or a second-round pick

Kings wanted a first too.
This is awesome. Kings offered our two worst contracts for Smith plus what is currently a top-3 lotto pick. That would've been a miracle if PDA pulled it off.

No thanks to Smith...

Can you imagine if we pulled a trigger on a Deron Williams Trade and acquire Smith? lol... Best starting lineup in the league that can't win a game to save their life..

C- Cousins
PF- Smith
SF- Gay
SG- McLemore
PG- Williams

It only looks good on PAPER people! In real life it's a disaster.

Forget Smith. The guys a moron and we have no stability on our team. He wouldn't want to come here anyways. Let's get Larry Sanders and call it a day. I doubt he's untouchable. Anyone keep up with his situation? Last I heard he got suspended 1 game for a foul but that's about it

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
No thanks to Smith...
Can you imagine if we pulled a trigger on a Deron Williams Trade and acquire Smith? lol... Best starting lineup in the league that can't win a game to save their life..
C- Cousins
PF- Smith
SF- Gay
SG- McLemore
PG- Williams
It only looks good on PAPER people! In real life it's a disaster.
We'd be the western conference version of the Hornets: a team that, you look at their roster, and then you look at their record, and ask, "How are they so terrible?"

Well at least its a little bit revealing of us having some sanity. Only some though -- we're not a rebuild. Taking on a major player who you don't want just to get a pick could have far worse consequences than the pick could have good ones.
There was a blurb in the summer that we wanted a pick to take Smith's contract but then that was drowned in the media narrative that it was Detroit turning down Sacramento's desperate attempts. I had wondered if there was some truth that we wanted the sweetener. I can only imagine that as the season went on, our offer of expiring contracts went the wayside along with the cost of a increasing valuable pick.

This is awesome. Kings offered our two worst contracts for Smith plus what is currently a top-3 lotto pick. That would've been a miracle if PDA pulled it off.
If that pick came back I take the deal too, and agree.

Worth the gamble because of salary investment is similar, and to get that pick back.

PDA I think did a good job here, flexing, I bet they were tempted to do it too.

Now I'm curious if we get him cheap, and maybe make a lateral deal with Thompson or Landry instead.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Josh Smith is still a talented player. But you need a strong coach to get the best out of him. Clearly he wasn't getting that in Detroit. On a 1 or 2 million dollar deal, he's someone you can work with I think. Just don't see why he'd pick Sacramento over a chance at the playoffs.

Remember what everyone said (and saw) about Zach Randolph before he got to Memphis. When he was in New York he liked to dribble around the perimeter and throw up long jumpers too.

You have to be a real cancer and a scrub to get flat out released in the nba. Malone vs FO, malone wins this round again. And there 0 chance he signs here no coach and under 500 only chance we had was keeping malone but than again he'd get fired before he coached this clown. I don't get why Houston's on his ass they either want layups/dunks. When Harden is driving teams will have there PF pack the paint and you know damn well smith is taking the 3 or long 2 will be shot by smith when given.

I can't believe people are bashing Vivek and the FO for wanting Smith...

Didn't reports just tell us that the Kings were offering only JT+Landry for Smith? It means they weren't going to give up a lot for him.. people are acting like they tried to offer 1st rounders for Smith!

It would not be a bad idea to sign Smith on a 1yr deal and if things fall flat, we can always trade him to another team or just release him.

I can't believe people are bashing Vivek and the FO for wanting Smith...

Didn't reports just tell us that the Kings were offering only JT+Landry for Smith? It means they weren't going to give up a lot for him.. people are acting like they tried to offer 1st rounders for Smith!

It would not be a bad idea to sign Smith on a 1yr deal and if things fall flat, we can always trade him to another team or just release him.
I"m curious, which JT is that? I thought they were talking Jason Terry.

I"m curious, which JT is that? I thought they were talking Jason Terry.
I honestly don't know, I've just heard it around. Not sure Which JT, but I think it might've been Jason Terry. He was an expiring contract. It wouldn't surprise me if the Kings offered Jason Terry and Derrick Williams for Josh Smith before the season started.. It would make sense because the Kings were trying to get rid of Jason Terry.

The Pistons shot themselves in the foot for not trading with us. Their FO is sort of honestly stupid. As bad as a lot of people think ours has been, theirs has been worse.

A contender can sign him for the minimum. He can come in and he can be a force. He has talent let's be clear about that. If he is a cancer they can release him or sit him on the bench no harm no foul. You have to think Dallas, OKC, Clippers, Houston, and even San Antonio are looking at this real hard.

Winning heals everything even for bad character players. The problem is the "winning" level he'd get here isn't close to the level elsewhere. We also don't have the veteran leadership or a veteran superstar to help control him. We also don't have a coach.

People that think we are out of the woods with DMC's character issues are not thinking clearly. We need to continue to surround DMC with high character good teammates. He has made so much improvement especially since being on Team USA, and you can easily see him getting frustrated with forced threes and poor off-court work ethic. IF he comes to SAC I'm ok with it because it is a gamble that could pay off. But there are about 7 other teams that would be better off with his services.

Look, here is what I think will happen.

Josh Smith will sign a 1 year minimum offer from a contender. Someone like Houston. He will probably take away shots from Harden and Howard and they will not get deep into playoffs. He will not be resigned for next year.

PDA will swoop in next year and sign Josh Smith to a bigger than needed contract to secure his rights. Josh Smith will be the Kings starting small forward next year.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Look, here is what I think will happen.

Josh Smith will sign a 1 year minimum offer from a contender. Someone like Houston. He will probably take away shots from Harden and Howard and they will not get deep into playoffs. He will not be resigned for next year.

PDA will swoop in next year and sign Josh Smith to a bigger than needed contract to secure his rights. Josh Smith will be the Kings starting small forward next year.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I could see it, but Where is Rudy going?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Can't say I saw this coming...shows you the market for Smith. It's great to hear that the Kings demanded a first round pick to take Smith off their hands...Smith will sign with a contender and if he keeps his head straight can be a nice contributor. It's all mental with Josh, always has been..

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Without a coach in place? NOBODY is coming to SacTown. I'm glad. I don't want Smith or Williams. WREAKS of desperation to me.

GET KARL. Period.
The interesting thing, good or bad, is this possibility:

1) sign Karl

2) that attracts Smith (Kenyon Martin)

3) with Smith now onboard, that frees us to drop our Plumlee demand for Williams. Can/could we get them down to Sessions + a kid?

Best/worst scenario the cascade effect could move you from Cuz/Gay/Collison + sometimes Ben, to Cuz/Gay/Collison/Deron/Smith + sometimes Ben. + HOF coach.

I would think that coach Karl might be the only coach that could control Smith and make it work here. Having said that, Josh Smith is not signing with Sacramento of all places and for a veteran minimum when Houston wants him and has a bi-annual exception to use as well. I know he will get a sizeable chunk from Detroit over the next few years but he is not signing for a rebuilding team for a league minimum. Contender yes, but not us.