PG for the Kings

I don't think Curry is the answer at PG. His handles are weak and underwhelming for a primary ball handler. It's why a lot of his shots came off the dribble. He's a poor poor poor poor poor poor poor poor poor man's version of his brother Steph. If he comes back, I don't think he's anything more than our backup SG. Unless he puts in a alot of work towards his ball handling this off season, I don't think he cracks minutes on this team.

I don't think Curry is the answer at PG. His handles are weak and underwhelming for a primary ball handler. It's why a lot of his shots came off the dribble. He's a poor poor poor poor poor poor poor poor poor man's version of his brother Steph. If he comes back, I don't think he's anything more than our backup SG. Unless he puts in a alot of work towards his ball handling this off season, I don't think he cracks minutes on this team.
Is Seth such a bad ballhandler? I never watched him before last Summerleague, but to me his ball handling looks solid. I mean he isn't Jimmer Fredette bad at least.

Is Seth such a bad ballhandler? I never watched him before last Summerleague, but to me his ball handling looks solid. I mean he isn't Jimmer Fredette bad at least.
I think Seth is a very good ball handler for a SG, but struggles as a PG. His inability to get to the rim is a big problem as a PG. He doesn't have the quickness to beat his man. His lack of quickness is most evident when he's required to change direction. Not only does he lack elite quickness, he also lacks the ball handling ability. If you watched him against the Suns, he didn't show any advanced dribbles. This was even a bigger problem vs. the Rockets. His lack of dribbles+quickness was a big problem in his inability to break down the D. He just wasn't able to get to the basket at all. This is why he settled for A LOT of jumpers in the Rockets game. Steph Curry settling for jumpers is ok. Seth Curry settling for jumpers is not ok. (He's not nearly as talented as Steph, and Steph can actually get to the rim, unlike Seth)

He's not Jimmer bad in terms of ball handling, but it's still below average for a PG.

He played great vs. the Suns, but I still saw a few problems(very nit picked). I'll break it down the few problems I saw with his great game:

At 0:34, he actually gets the ball poked from behind, and ends up bouncing a short low one late to WCS. He completely stops after the pass to WCS, a bit unorthodox.
At 0:40, you can see where lack of advanced dribbling moves prevents him to get by his man, but he does a great job at getting the ball to Ben regardless.
At 1:35, he does a great job with the "PnR" at recognizing Acy's man switching and Koufos' mans retreating. However, it's another low bounce pass.
At 2:02, he had a trouble keeping control of his dribble, but did a good job with the pass to Koufos, although it seemed predetermined?
At 2:54, lack of advanced dribbles really hurt him there, but he used his quickness to easily get by 33yearold Price for another nice dish to Koufos. But then again...seemed like another predetermined pass. Never once was he looking to put the ball up. He did not look at the rim at all. Against a better D, they wouldn't have collapsed on him because he was driving straight into a brick wall while staring at Koufos the entire time.
At 3:20, good with recognizing how open Koufos was. But this is another play where his lack of attacking ability showed up. He put on his brakes way too early again and as soon as Tucker slid in front of him, he didn't attempt to get to the rim at all.
At 3:54, did a poor job in attacking during transition. Defense was not set, and he had a clear path to the rim if he was able to change direction downhill faster. He missed the spot between WCS and Len. You can actually see him try to put on the breaks and potentially shift directions, but he was late and it looked a bit unnatural. It reesulted in a great decision, but also another awkward low bounce pass.
At 4:30, he's able to beat Tucker easily with a clear path to the rim and nobody in front....but he stops, and opts for a turnaround jumper instead.

After re-watching his highlights from that game, I think we can all see that he has exceptional bball IQ. It's off the charts. Amazing passes to Koufos and did a great job getting the D to commit before the passes. However, he struggled getting into the paint. He also had the right idea, but he struggled with delivery a few times. We saw weird low bounce passes that all could've been easily picked off. There were a few times where he made it obvious on what he wanted to do with the ball, it almost seemed predetermined. Against a more experienced D, I think they'd easily be able to shut him down on those. Other times, he had chances where he could've attacked the rim, but settled for a pass/shot instead.

Now.... what happens when he can't make predetermined passes and settles instead of taking it all the way? The next Houston game.... He went against a more experienced D where he was forced to settle on offense a lot more because of his limitations on getting to the basket. The defense was easily able to make reads on him. His lack of handling and ball control resulted in 3 TOs that game as well.

I should've clarified. I meant if he didn't put in more work on his handles, he wouldn't be able to crack minutes as a PG on this team. His handles are improved from Duke, but they're not where you want them to be as a PG. If he weren't so undersized, I think he'd be in contention for starting SG. If you gave Curry's bball IQ and ball handling to Ben...we'd have a top 10 SG in our hands. Curry just has all the intangibles you want. It's hard not to root for him.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
You know, if you weren't so extreme with your opinions you'd be somewhat credible. If you actually think that Curry is a poor ball handler, then there's no point in having any further discussion with you.

I think Seth is a very good ball handler for a SG, but struggles as a PG. His inability to get to the rim is a big problem as a PG. He doesn't have the quickness to beat his man. His lack of quickness is most evident when he's required to change direction. Not only does he lack elite quickness, he also lacks the ball handling ability. If you watched him against the Suns, he didn't show any advanced dribbles. This was even a bigger problem vs. the Rockets. His lack of dribbles+quickness was a big problem in his inability to break down the D. He just wasn't able to get to the basket at all. This is why he settled for A LOT of jumpers in the Rockets game. Steph Curry settling for jumpers is ok. Seth Curry settling for jumpers is not ok. (He's not nearly as talented as Steph, and Steph can actually get to the rim, unlike Seth)

He's not Jimmer bad in terms of ball handling, but it's still below average for a PG.

He played great vs. the Suns, but I still saw a few problems(very nit picked). I'll break it down the few problems I saw with his great game:

At 0:34, he actually gets the ball poked from behind, and ends up bouncing a short low one late to WCS. He completely stops after the pass to WCS, a bit unorthodox.
At 0:40, you can see where lack of advanced dribbling moves prevents him to get by his man, but he does a great job at getting the ball to Ben regardless.
At 1:35, he does a great job with the "PnR" at recognizing Acy's man switching and Koufos' mans retreating. However, it's another low bounce pass.
At 2:02, he had a trouble keeping control of his dribble, but did a good job with the pass to Koufos, although it seemed predetermined?
At 2:54, lack of advanced dribbles really hurt him there, but he used his quickness to easily get by 33yearold Price for another nice dish to Koufos. But then again...seemed like another predetermined pass. Never once was he looking to put the ball up. He did not look at the rim at all. Against a better D, they wouldn't have collapsed on him because he was driving straight into a brick wall while staring at Koufos the entire time.
At 3:20, good with recognizing how open Koufos was. But this is another play where his lack of attacking ability showed up. He put on his brakes way too early again and as soon as Tucker slid in front of him, he didn't attempt to get to the rim at all.
At 3:54, did a poor job in attacking during transition. Defense was not set, and he had a clear path to the rim if he was able to change direction downhill faster. He missed the spot between WCS and Len. You can actually see him try to put on the breaks and potentially shift directions, but he was late and it looked a bit unnatural. It reesulted in a great decision, but also another awkward low bounce pass.
At 4:30, he's able to beat Tucker easily with a clear path to the rim and nobody in front....but he stops, and opts for a turnaround jumper instead.

After re-watching his highlights from that game, I think we can all see that he has exceptional bball IQ. It's off the charts. Amazing passes to Koufos and did a great job getting the D to commit before the passes. However, he struggled getting into the paint. He also had the right idea, but he struggled with delivery a few times. We saw weird low bounce passes that all could've been easily picked off. There were a few times where he made it obvious on what he wanted to do with the ball, it almost seemed predetermined. Against a more experienced D, I think they'd easily be able to shut him down on those. Other times, he had chances where he could've attacked the rim, but settled for a pass/shot instead.

Now.... what happens when he can't make predetermined passes and settles instead of taking it all the way? The next Houston game.... He went against a more experienced D where he was forced to settle on offense a lot more because of his limitations on getting to the basket. The defense was easily able to make reads on him. His lack of handling and ball control resulted in 3 TOs that game as well.

I should've clarified. I meant if he didn't put in more work on his handles, he wouldn't be able to crack minutes as a PG on this team. His handles are improved from Duke, but they're not where you want them to be as a PG. If he weren't so undersized, I think he'd be in contention for starting SG. If you gave Curry's bball IQ and ball handling to Ben...we'd have a top 10 SG in our hands. Curry just has all the intangibles you want. It's hard not to root for him.
I like how much time you put into this post to write your opinion on the game footage.
Curry problems to get to the basket and his inability to punish bigger players in PnR switch situations was something I noticed as well. But from my point of view this seems to be more of a quickness issue, than lack of ballhandling ability.
What's remarkable to me is how poised Curry is. He played his first NBA season, he was a end of bench guy trying to find a way in the league not a high praised first round pick and still he showed no signs of nervousness or "hero ball syndrom". Unselfish, diligent and always tries to make the right play. I really enjoy watching him.

You know, if you weren't so extreme with your opinions you'd be somewhat credible. If you actually think that Curry is a poor ball handler, then there's no point in having any further discussion with you.
I don't like piling on Curry, but watch his shots in the Rockets game. It's on nba.com when you click on his stats, then FGA. It's all there. Inability to get to the rim which resulted in settling for dumb jump shots.

He's an undersized SG. He's not a PG. His handles are poor for a PG. So he has 1 good game as the primary ball handler vs. 33 yearold Ronnie Price and a bunch of inexperienced Suns, and suddenly he becomes a good ball handler? Even though, in the next game, his handles were exposed?

For a guy who hates being compared to his brother, he sure tries to play a lot like him.

I like how much time you put into this post to write your opinion on the game footage.
Curry problems to get to the basket and his inability to punish bigger players in PnR switch situations was something I noticed as well. But from my point of view this seems to be more of a quickness issue, than lack of ballhandling ability.
What's remarkable to me is how poised Curry is. He played his first NBA season, he was a end of bench guy trying to find a way in the league not a high praised first round pick and still he showed no signs of nervousness or "hero ball syndrom". Unselfish, diligent and always tries to make the right play. I really enjoy watching him.
To me, it just seemed like a was a combo of both. His ball handling has improved a lot since Duke, but he still has ways to go if he wants to become a PG in the league. I think if he had better handles, he'd be able to use it to make up for his quickness.

Curry has extremely high bball iq. Even with his mistakes in that game, you could tell that he always had the right thing in mind. The good thing about Curry that I noticed is that he knows his limitations. Aside from forcing shots, he doesn't really force the issue much. Just a very smart player in general.

I don't like piling on Curry, but watch his shots in the Rockets game. It's on nba.com when you click on his stats, then FGA. It's all there. Inability to get to the rim which resulted in settling for dumb jump shots.

He's an undersized SG. He's not a PG. His handles are poor for a PG. So he has 1 good game as the primary ball handler vs. 33 yearold Ronnie Price and a bunch of inexperienced Suns, and suddenly he becomes a good ball handler? Even though, in the next game, his handles were exposed?

For a guy who hates being compared to his brother, he sure tries to play a lot like him.
Something that seems to get missed about the Houston game is that Curry and BMac were our top 2 scoring options for the game. Houston set their defense to shut Curry down, and he isn't good enough to overcome that. Most back up PGs would be in the same boat. Even with the second unit, Curry will rarely find himself as the #1 option like he did against Houston.

I have little problem contemplating Seth Curry as a backup PG (except we currently have DC as backup, who's WAY better).

My problem starts when people start thinking he can takeover as starter, based on almost nothing.
People keep forgetting how useless the last month's games are when you aren't playing against someone who needs to win - NBA games are dog-and-pony-show pageantry at that point.
They are a showcase for players to boost stats - those stats mean nothing unless they were in a competitive game.

I think all teams try to win games whether it be Game 1 or Game 82. Most who are out of the race tend to sit their star players out for the last couple of games maybe more if they have significant injuries, but not an entire month. I can't remember if Curry did indeed play against opposing team's Dleague players during that final month,

dude12

Hall of Famer
According to Steve Kyler, the Suns have been looking into FA PGs. Suns are definitely shopping Bledsoe. Gay, Koufos and Ben for Bledsoe and ?? Lets gooooooo.

If Bledsoe is on the market we have to go for him. With the increased cap he is on a very reasonable contract. Knees do scare me a bit but not as much as offering Rondo a near max, long term deal.
I think we have very little to offer them for Bledsoe, considering they just drafted Bender and Chriss I think they'll most likely look to gain more assets for a rebuild around them alongside Booker and Len.

According to Steve Kyler, the Suns have been looking into FA PGs. Suns are definitely shopping Bledsoe. Gay, Koufos and Ben for Bledsoe and ?? Lets gooooooo.
Why would the Suns be shopping for PGs in FA when there's literally nobody on the market right now? After Conley, it's arguable that none of the guys are starters.

I have a feeling that the Suns don't really want Gay. They'll probably be looking for a younger PG in return.

For Bledsoe, the Jazz could offer a lot more. They have a lot of young pieces including: Exum, Burks, Lyles, Favors?, etc. The Sixers would put up a very strong package for him too. Someone like Noel+Covington. Noel plays C while Chriss/Bender both play PF.
The Sixers will need to get rid of their bigs. I think this devalues them in trade. Next season, they'll have Simmons/Embiid/Okafor/Noel/Saric all fighting for PF/C minutes.

Why would the Suns be shopping for PGs in FA when there's literally nobody on the market right now? After Conley, it's arguable that none of the guys are starters.

I have a feeling that the Suns don't really want Gay. They'll probably be looking for a younger PG in return.

For Bledsoe, the Jazz could offer a lot more. They have a lot of young pieces including: Exum, Burks, Lyles, Favors?, etc. The Sixers would put up a very strong package for him too. Someone like Noel+Covington. Noel plays C while Chriss/Bender both play PF.
The Sixers will need to get rid of their bigs. I think this devalues them in trade. Next season, they'll have Simmons/Embiid/Okafor/Noel/Saric all fighting for PF/C minutes.
I agree- if they're trading Bledsoe they are probably going for a rebuild.
An interesting location imo could be the Bucks- unless they are seriously going all-in for point-Giannis they are a win now team and a trade like:
Bledsoe and Chandler for the Bucks (who need rim protection) for MCW and John Henson can make sense for both sides (it will take most of the Bucks cap but it will leave them with a very nice roster).

The 76ers needs to move some of these guys but I'm not sure it will happen this year since the market is filled with PF/C, if I had to guess they'll probably stash Saric for one more year (I think that was the plan in the first place) and maybe try and move Noel.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I think that maybe, and I could be very wrong, maybe the Suns aren't going for total rebuild. Look they just acquired their SG last year, they like TJ Warren as a young piece. They just picked up 2 young PFs. I think the reality is that they want Booker to be the full time SG meaning one of Bledsoe or Knight must go. They have some good vets filling out the bench. Adding a Rudy Gay and Koufos and or Ben solidifies their roster. Gay takes pressure off of Booker to be the main scorer. Is it a stretch on our part. Yeah probably.

But do they want to keep adding younger assets in addition to what they have now? I wouldn't if I was them. Going really, really young is no bueno.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Someone tweeted out a deal to Carmicheal Dave. Koufos for T Burke and Shelvin Mack. Now if we could replace Burke with another low level piece and Mack, I thought it was a bit interesting. I think Mack is a solid reserve. Burke hasn't been very good. No way Utah would give up Exxum is there?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I think the opportunity to trade for Bledsoe was gone the moment they swapped draft picks and he wasn't included in the deal, which would of made sense. I'm not holding my breath here to get him, Vlade rather go and get Waiters instead.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Someone tweeted out a deal to Carmicheal Dave. Koufos for T Burke and Shelvin Mack. Now if we could replace Burke with another low level piece and Mack, I thought it was a bit interesting. I think Mack is a solid reserve. Burke hasn't been very good. No way Utah would give up Exxum is there?
Not a chance.

[quote="206Fan, post: 1262684, member: 36361"Curry just has all the intangibles you want. It's hard not to root for him.[/quote]
This is why i like Seth's game so much. He plays the game right. I remember another Kings guard who didn't have elite ability to get to the rim and wasn't a speed demon either but had all the other aspects of the game down and could torch you from the field.

If we can acquire a good wing defender. I think we will take a bite on Deron Williams. He has regressed. But kind of got something going in Dallas this season. Next to CP3, I think Deron still runs the best pick-and-roll of any PG in the league. Deron/DMC would something very respectable on offense, IMO. It's kind of like the Rondo experiment though, which actually worked.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the opportunity to trade for Bledsoe was gone the moment they swapped draft picks and he wasn't included in the deal, which would of made sense. I'm not holding my breath here to get him, Vlade rather go and get Waiters instead.
Just no to Waiters.

And I'm not sure Bledsoe isn't still attainable. The draft doesn't always allow for lengthy discussions or complicated deals. I think a trade for Bledsoe would need to involve at least one other team. Rudy and Koufos are pretty good pieces for a deal.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Just no to Waiters.

And I'm not sure Bledsoe isn't still attainable. The draft doesn't always allow for lengthy discussions or complicated deals. I think a trade for Bledsoe would need to involve at least one other team. Rudy and Koufos are pretty good pieces for a deal.
Maybe involve Orlando? they could use a SF and have been out of the playoffs for quite some time. Maybe with Vogel in town, they are looking to add some vets now.

That deal would be a bit underwhelming. Shelvin Mack is nothing special and Trey Burke seems to be a scorer, that has problems to run a team. I don't know much about him, but a young first round pick, who couldn't beat Neto for the starting job, doesn't sound too encouraging.

If Tyreke is on the block, would love to make a move for him. I don't know if I would trade Rudy for him, but he would be the ideal PG for us once again. His shot is better, his size at the point is great, and getting to the hole has always been his forte. PnR with him and Cousins all day.