Peja joins Kings Front Office?

K

Kingsguy881

It would be very helpful if you gave a bit more information. But, for what it's worth, I have heard that Peja might be joining the front office at some point.
I don't have more information which is why I am asking. It looks like Stein tweeted it a few momenta ago but I don't follow him. Edit..found it

Attachments

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Has Peja accepted yet? I know there have been interest.
My personal guess would be that, based on all the Peja sightings lately and his interaction with Vlade and some of the guys, it's merely a formality at this point. If they weren't pretty sure of his answer, I doubt if they would have publicized the question. ;)

My first reaction is to think of this as cronyism, but it's not like Peja doesn't have his own close association with the organization. His jersey hangs from rafters after all.

Maybe they'll bring in C-Webb some day :)

It's actually nothing more than what we sort of already knew.

Peja has a spot in the FO if he wants it. It's up to Peja if he wants to take it or not. It would involve moving from Europe.

I haven't heard that it's progressed any further. It's just the national media reporting it rather than a nodding conversation within Sacramento press.

I would rather Peja play than be in the FO, but I guess I have no choice but to let that dream stay a dream... sigh. He actually has the most accurate 3 point percentage out of anyone in the top 10 of 3 pointers made (Peja is #10, but was at one point #5 -- I am sure he could have been higher up the list if he didn't have to retire due to chronic back problems).

Last edited:
Be interesting to see what role he takes on if and when he takes the position. It will also be nice to see another Kings legend helping to get this team back to "where it belongs".

Got a question: why did we trade Peja?

I remember him being an exciting player to watch, and an important part of our team, but I'll be honest and say I don't know why we traded him. At that time I was still in my teens and simply watched basketball and didn't spend much, if any, time really reading the sports sites about it. How times change!

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
this move is a good move all depending on what his role is going to be...don't give him assistant GM or anything like that, maybe international scout?

Be interesting to see what role he takes on if and when he takes the position. It will also be nice to see another Kings legend helping to get this team back to "where it belongs".

I remember him being an exciting player to watch, and an important part of our team, but I'll be honest and say I don't know why we traded him. At that time I was still in my teens and simply watched basketball and didn't spend much, if any, time really reading the sports sites about it. How times change!
For a prime Ron Artest.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

Well, Peja was starting to show some of the effects of playing in the NBA, but mostly because the Kings had a chance to get Ron Artest (26 yr's old), who was two years younger than Peja. There's some question as to who was the author of the trade, Petrie, or the Maloofs, since Peja was Petrie's boy, and he was usually reluctant to trade successful players he had drafted. No one will know unless Petrie decides to write a book about his time as GM of the Kings.

His back was starting to fail(I think he had a bulging disc) and we were able to get Ron Artest who helped us make the playoffs that season and was one of the best defenders in the NBA. If Peja had stayed healthy he would have remained in his prime for a while and I don't think we would have ended up trading him. In 04 before his back went out he was one of the best players in the league.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I have to appreciate Vlade getting people he can trust around him. Even if they are not perfect they build confidence and stay on the same page. I like the idea of driving the snakes out of Sacramento..now where did I put my St. Patrick out fit?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

Let's be clear here: as a player, Peja was nearing being done by the time we traded him, and had the heart of a mouse. For dimwits like the maloofs it may have been as simple as he disappointed them by not being the franchise player that various dimwit voices were trying to sell them on. In any case, by the time we dumped him he had kinda quit on us already, didn't play through injuries, had never recovered from not having Papa Vlade around to hold his hand, and in general it was time.

Trade worked for a while too until Ron Ron's inherent instability and our looming descent into a decade of rampant incompetence led us into the tank. But at the time it was made Ron actually had more game left than did Peja. Was almost an actual franchise player for a few years. Just obviously about the very most unstable near franchise player you could possibly try to build around.