Offseason Improvements

This is a thread to discuss what you think each player should work on the most in the offseason, to better his game.

I really want to see Donte work on his basketball IQ, he needs to watch some tapes of Rashard Lewis. Rashard plays PF in Orlando and if Donte's going to succeed I think hes going to have to learn how to play Power Forward and SF. And Lewis is the perfect role model for him to base his game around.

Beno needs to work on his three point shot (31 %). If we can get every guard and SF on the team shooting close to 40 % it would perfect. We have alot of good shooters and this will really help Hawes and Thompson in the post.

Hawes has done alot with his game already in one year, I'm more worried about his body and strength.. He needs to get stronger, and add maybe 15- 20 pounds. We are going to need him to be more of a banger in the post and on defense.

Martin has got to improve his defense and rebounding, he showed some improvements on defense but he should be way peskier on defense considering how quick and smart he is. He needs to look at tapes of Bowen, and use that quickness to get into peoples faces. If he tried half as hard on defense as he does on offsense he would be a great player. His rebounding is pathetic for being a 6'7 guard with hops (3.0 RPG) this should be closer to 5-5.5 RPG. Rebounding is all about wanting it and Martin needs to use his size and spped to crash the boards for us a little more. His offense is perfectly fine, his passing IQ has improved so hopefully he can improve on that some more.

Thompson needs to fill that body out and get jacked , hes got the weight already he just needs to get stronger and learn to use his body more aggresively. It would be nice if Thompson could work on his high post passing aswell because Hawes isnt always going to be in the game to run it and Thompson ha the jumper to back it up already so he should watch some vlade tapes and take some advice from spence.

Garcia has been great on defense. He just needs to keep working on being the forward facilitator.. Driving and looking for open teammates so he should keep working on his ballhandling and work on looking for his teammates more then looking for his shot all the time. This dude could average 5 asts a game if he really wanted to. He needs to continue to work on being the leader of this team and lead by example.

Nocioni needs to get into better shape, he played very hard for us but he seemed a little unconditioned out there. He needs to focus on that three point shot that were going to need next year. It would be nice if he could gain some speed off the dribble aswell. He should also be working onhis post up game since he has the strength and we have very few post up players on this team especially Guards/Forwards.

Mccants, if hes back on the squad next year, I would like to see smarter shots within the offence and more posting up. I think Mccants could be really valuable as a scorer/defender off the bench.

Ike, if hes back on the squad I think he needs to get in the best shape he can be in. He looked very impressive in the last cuple games and we need a banger off the bench to toughen up this team. Keep banging Ike.

These improvements are just off the top of my head if anyone can add more please do.

Hey guys! I'm new around here. Even though, I lurked around here for quite some time now. I believe it is the right time haha But yeah, if you guys don't know, I do post in another site (realgm) I'm well accepted over there. So, I believe I can contribute here very nicely. I can provide information, debate, analysis and etc. I hope this will be a new positive foundation/beginning for both the board and I.

Anyhow back to the original question:

I think Hawes needs to build more muscle mass in general. You can see he is being pushed around the basket periodically. Even though, he has been doing much better than his rookie season. Probably, he needs to understand what move should be his "go to" move. I know he has bunch of moves in his head but as his body is beginning to mature, he needs to be consistent on choosing what to do.

Thompson, obviously had foul problems. In matter in fact, he lead the rookie class in fouls per game and foul totals. Averaged 3.8 FPG and 310 PFs in the season. But most of his mistakes are easily correctable by experience and discipline. His body should mature for post play.

Martin, one of his most controversial aspects of the game are defense and leadership. At his skill level, he should be a better defender but he isn't. Earlier in his career, he seemed more a defensive player than now. (But than again, he was pretty limited to energy and hustle) And his leadership skills can be called into play. Well regardless, he has to improve on these aspects to truly be a special player in this league.

I think those three players alone would help the general movement of this team. If they improve on those weaknesses, (I can't see why not) they should be awesome.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Kevin: His trainer, I forgot the guys name, said they would do a lot of work to prevent injuries and strengthen his ankles so he can actually play somewhere close to 80 games. Also said they will work a lot on Kevins defense. He wants Kevin to be more physical on that end. I have no problems with that, although I would hope they also add ballhandling to the itinerary. If kevin can get better at handling the ball his passing will also improve, which is a must. But I think he will have a much better all-around yr next season if he can remain healthy.

Spencer: Needs to improve with his back to the basket and needs to start attacking the rim and drawing fouls. He is our most skilled player, but he needs to be able to be a presence in the paint when his jumper isn't falling. Along with his post game would be passing out of the post. He has shown the potential to be one of the best passing big men in the league, but if he can draw double teams he has to be able to pass out and set up others.

J.T.: Defensive rebounding. His left hand. And finishing around the basket. He gets his shot rejected 2-3 times a game. He needs to be able to finish when he is in the paint, especially with all the offensive rebs he gets.

Beno: Go back to europe

Donte: Forget about shooting 3's. Work on your mid-range jmper and ball-handling. With his athleticism he should develope into a great finisher in the paint, and should be attacking the rim every chance he gets(study film on gerald wallace). But until he improves his ball-handling along with a mid-range jumper, the defense will just lay off him and it will be damn near impossible to get to the rim.

Noc: Noc is Noc. He is 29. I like what he offers, and at this point he is who he is.

Garcia: Haven't seen much improvement in him over the past few years. Has gotten better at the decisions he makes on the court, but could still really improve in that area. Forces to many long jumpers. Could improve his playmaking ability, but I hate seeing him run the point. He is not a pg, but had to fill that role on a number of occasions because Beno is just a 6ft pile of crap. Don't see his game changing, but with a new pg he can concentrate on being a wing and improve his shot selection. But I love his leadership and toughness.

A lot of good points have been made already, I'll just add a couple of small ones.

JT might work on blocking a bit more, and JT and Hawes should both work on their FTs, because if they aspire to being starters on a decent NBA team, they should not have things which they do worse at than Calvin Booth.

Welcome to the board, kingsfan10. The more the merrier! :)

For Martin, I just want to see him get those ankles healthy. I think it will be hard to improve defense without that as first priority. He wanted to get better on defense this season, but playing on a bum ankle didn't help him. I think he needs to work on stamina, too. He seems to get worn down when there's still a lot of season to play. And that's with no playoff games.

Welcome to the board, kingsfan10. The more the merrier! :)

For Martin, I just want to see him get those ankles healthy. I think it will be hard to improve defense without that as first priority. He wanted to get better on defense this season, but playing on a bum ankle didn't help him. I think he needs to work on stamina, too. He seems to get worn down when there's still a lot of season to play. And that's with no playoff games.
haha thanks!

But yeah, Martin seems to get tired as the season progressed. One reason can be his overall game is based on off the ball movement. So, majority of his stamina and endurance are needed for that aspect of the game. But then again, he really needs to improve his conditioning though. (Well, his condition is actually fine but needs to be geared up for the 82 game season + playoffs not 60ish or so games, you know?) Hopefully, he gets that aspect of the game improved. And as well as healing his ankle! It has affected him significantly IMO.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Martin needs to be healthy and he needs to have other people around him to help share the load. He was playing way too many minutes a lot of times.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
kingsfan10 said:
Thompson, obviously had foul problems. In matter in fact, he lead the rookie class in fouls per game and foul totals. Averaged 3.8 FPG and 310 PFs in the season. But most of his mistakes are easily correctable by experience and discipline. His body should mature for post play.
The mere fact that he's no longer a rookie next year will drop his foul total. There were a lot of fouls that were borderline that probably won't be called next year. It's not right, but its a fact of life in the NBA. By the way. I know that technicly Oden isn't a rookie, but one could consider this his rookie year. He led the NBA in fouls per 48 min with just under 8. I'm going to assume he'll get better treatment next year too.

The mere fact that he's no longer a rookie next year will drop his foul total. There were a lot of fouls that were borderline that probably won't be called next year. It's not right, but its a fact of life in the NBA. By the way. I know that technicly Oden isn't a rookie, but one could consider this his rookie year. He led the NBA in fouls per 48 min with just under 8. I'm going to assume he'll get better treatment next year too.
Yeah, definitely. Rookie calls are constant in every rookie life. I do agree several calls were deemed "ticky-tack" fouls due to being "the rookie" but some of the calls were justifiable due to Thompson's inexperience. Which is okay. So yeah, I expect his foul total and average to drop to an extent that it is respectable.

And this is another reason why we need a Big Man Coach for both Thompson and Hawes. Probably Ike too. They need someone to teach them at a perspective that neither of those guys have. *crossing my hands for either Webber/Divac* :D

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Kevin: His trainer, I forgot the guys name, said they would do a lot of work to prevent injuries and strengthen his ankles so he can actually play somewhere close to 80 games. Also said they will work a lot on Kevins defense. He wants Kevin to be more physical on that end. I have no problems with that, although I would hope they also add ballhandling to the itinerary. If kevin can get better at handling the ball his passing will also improve, which is a must. But I think he will have a much better all-around yr next season if he can remain healthy.

Spencer: Needs to improve with his back to the basket and needs to start attacking the rim and drawing fouls. He is our most skilled player, but he needs to be able to be a presence in the paint when his jumper isn't falling. Along with his post game would be passing out of the post. He has shown the potential to be one of the best passing big men in the league, but if he can draw double teams he has to be able to pass out and set up others.

J.T.: Defensive rebounding. His left hand. And finishing around the basket. He gets his shot rejected 2-3 times a game. He needs to be able to finish when he is in the paint, especially with all the offensive rebs he gets.

Donte: Forget about shooting 3's. Work on your mid-range jmper and ball-handling. With his athleticism he should develope into a great finisher in the paint, and should be attacking the rim every chance he gets(study film on gerald wallace). But until he improves his ball-handling along with a mid-range jumper, the defense will just lay off him and it will be damn near impossible to get to the rim.

Noc: Noc is Noc. He is 29. I like what he offers, and at this point he is who he is.

Garcia: Haven't seen much improvement in him over the past few years. Has gotten better at the decisions he makes on the court, but could still really improve in that area. Forces to many long jumpers. Could improve his playmaking ability, but I hate seeing him run the point. He is not a pg, but had to fill that role on a number of occasions because Beno is just a 6ft pile of crap. Don't see his game changing, but with a new pg he can concentrate on being a wing and improve his shot selection. But I love his leadership and toughness.
\

By the way, I like your posts, even when I may disagree with them. They're well thought out.

I think Spence already has the skills he needs to do all the things you outlined. He just needs to continue to polish them. In college he was mostly a post player. High and low. He's always been a good passer out of the double team. I honestly think that a good point guard would really help Spence. I would include JT in that also. You can't do much down low if someone doesn't get you the ball.

With JT, I think you nailed it with his post game. He needs more shakes and bakes around the basket instead of just going up with the ball. In fairness to him, I think he did improve in that area as the season went on. A lot of the blocks against him came from the weakside help, or his blindside. Just improving his left hand will do wonders for his post game. Jason also played the high post in college and was a pretty good passer out of it. Once again, a good point guard to set him up would help.

Good read on Donte. First, he needs to get serious and realize that yes, he's in the NBA, and yes, its a job. And one he needs to get better at. He's not the athlete that Gerald was, but then most aren't. There is no aspect of his game that he doesn't need to work on. I can't tell you one thing that he's really good at. I take that back. He shot freethrows pretty well. You covered all his weaknesses. Add to that, just study the game. Pick coachie's mind and anyone else thats been sucessful.

I'll pass on Martin. I've said enough during the season and everyone else has covered the obvious.

Beno, Beno, Beno... Doctor Jeckel and Mr. Hyde. Who are you? I've decided thats the problem. Beno doesn't know who he is as a point guard. I think he wants to be Nash or Paul, and there are times when he does a decent imitation. But life has a way of exposing cheap imitations. My advice to Beno is to just be yourself. He's certainly has talent, and when he playes within himself, he's pretty good. Oh, and one more bit of advice. Try dribbling with your head up. Then you just might see Thompson or Hawes standing under the basket.

Cisco. I would say his outside shot has improved. His biggest improvement has simply been his illimination of mistakes. He still makes them, but not as often. He's also improved his ability to create in the open court, which is where most of his mistakes come from. I would like to see more of a mid-range game from him, and for him to stop losing focus at times. He has those two or three nonchalant passes per game that end up being turnovers. His ballhandling has improved on the perimiter, but still needs work in traffic.

I'll pass on Noc. Your probably right when you say, he is what he is. That could be a good thing or a bad thing.

Cisco. I would say his outside shot has improved. His biggest improvement has simply been his illimination of mistakes. He still makes them, but not as often. He's also improved his ability to create in the open court, which is where most of his mistakes come from. I would like to see more of a mid-range game from him, and for him to stop losing focus at times. He has those two or three nonchalant passes per game that end up being turnovers. His ballhandling has improved on the perimiter, but still needs work in traffic.
I think the biggest thing with Cisco is he needs to just start thinking before he does something. I'm not bashing on him at all, but I think he just gets so caught up in the heat of the battle, he just does the first thing that pops in his head.

Which is sometimes a good thing. But more often than not, it isn't.

He needs to just slow down and become like a brain-surgeon and run through every possible outcome before he commits.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
One of the issues I had with both Hawes and JT was their court awareness. Too many times they were banging into each other around the key and higher. Too many times they were out of position making any switch or defense in the key that much tougher.... or none existent. On offense many times their spacing was not very good aiding the other teams defense. They are young and the awareness will come with experience and practice. But it is something they can work on unfortunately only in 5 on 5 type practices, like in summer league. Boy, can you see the Kings summer league team with Hawes, JT and Greene?

Here's what my priorities would be:

Spencer- Get healthy, improve stamina, and hit the weight room. Work on positioning & keeping his man out of the paint. Offense is there and just needs PT.

JT- Improve footwork & learn to stay on his feet. Can't rebound or get back on defense when your laying on the court after your shot. Has the midrange jumper. Now, needs to learn how to dribble drive from midrange, to keep defenders from playing tight & taking away the jumper. Work on left hand down low. Defense will come with new coaches defensive scheme and a few more yrs in league.

Martin- Get healthy & work on stamina. Work on ballhandling. Too many traveling calls and turnovers for the #1 scoring option.

Beno- Learn to get the ball into the bigs where they can score without having to back their man down. Give up the ball on the pick & roll. It's not called the Pick & Beno dribbles around until he shoots. And, if you want to be the man and run the team, stop running off your mouth, unless it's to take the blame for a bad turnover.

Donte- Stay out of Carl's. If your going to get off the bench, you'll need to supply more than long range shooting. We can get that from our guards any time we want. Learn to drive by your man when he's run toward you to block your 3. Work on your foot speed and defense.

Noc & Cisco- Work on your corner 3.

Kenny- Work on your resume

gunks

Hall of Famer

You pretty much nailed it man.

Hawes seems to shoot more 3s then FTs in a game...That isnt really what I want from our starting C. I think his post game will come along with his body. He needs to bulk up a bit, then he'll start beasting. I also think Hawes needs to put more effort into shot blocking and rebounding, as he has shown that he can be well above average at both if he wanted to.

JT is a cherry picker...He always leaks out to get a fastbreak dunk instead of staying down in the paint to grab defensive boards. He could also block out a bit better. I think if he ups the defensive rebounds he could easily average a double double next season. His blocks started going up towards the end of the season, I expect the trend to continue, he was a good shot blocker in college (2.8 a game I believe). As someone already mentioned, his fouls will go down with him not getting the rookie treatment. With that comes less cautious play, which is always good with an energy guy like JT.

Donte just needs to be fixed with a shock collar that goes off every time he chucks. Maybe an assistant coach can be in charge of "the button". He also needs to work on filling out the stat sheet a bit more. He's shown some flashes of being a shotblocker but other then that what are his per48 numbers for rebounds and assists? Like 2/2?

Last edited: