NOW is the time to acquire Yi

It's not going to happen in Milwaukee. Sacramento is the perfect desitination for him to florish. I don't need to restate the obvious reasons other than we are not winning now, so it really doesn't matter how long it takes him to develop. We are not a major city, but it has been proven that Sacramento gets plenty of national and international attention when things are exciting here. Yi brings excitement on name and potential alone.

The Warriors, if willing to trade Brandan Wright, probably have Yi if they want him. But they expect to win now. Same with the Lakers. Houston with Yao would be intriguing and other than that, Sac has a large Asian population with SF just a hop, skip and jump away.

Yi puts the Kings back on the map and if he is as good as they say....

Funny thing I remember when Steve "whiner" Francis got drafted by I believe Toronto at the time. He flat out said he would not play for them. Toronto I believe ended up sending his 4SS to Houston. Wish that could happen to us now. :( Unfair man. Oh thats right, IM A KINGS FAN. So I guess Ill just deal with it until death. *sigh*.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Ewww...No Yi please. He's gonna bust.

Maybe if we get him we could send him to GS for Wright though...That kids got a bit more of a chance to make it in the NBA IMHO

Yeah, I'm not sure of taking Yi anymore. Hawes owned him in the Summer Leagues.

But............it would be great to have another 7 footer!:D

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
While I agree with much of this (as well as a few questions) the question of what we can/would offer has become more acute as this has drawn out. They resigned their PG, so Bibby is out. They are about to bring back Desmond Mason, so it would seem the SF (Artest) option would be out, and it seems too much to hope that they would be interested in an old guy in decline like Brad to teach Bogut.

Am reminded though that a few years back, the Bucks really wanted Reef (think they've changed GMs and coaches since then though), so maybe Reef and a future pick might be enough. And its also true that as they draw this thing further and further out the Bucks are really taking a beating and weakening their position further and further as it seemingly becomes more evident they will have no choice but to trade him, and that he may be enough trouble to scare off some suitors. There's blood in the water and the Bucks seem inclined to gamble hard on a miracle save here at the potential cost of having an artery hit.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Regardless of how good Yi may or may not be, it's also an opportunity to move some money, which is where I see the benefit in addition to acquiring Yi.

He busts? Meh. He gets his 2 years, the team doesn't option the third and it increases cap space in the end. He shines? Bully for us.

Either way, I'm willing to bet that Petrie is looking into this. Whether anything comes of it is another story, but I'm betting quite a few GMs are calling up the Bucks and saying, "soo, what do ya want?" However, the longer this draws out, the more likely it will be the Bucks calling around, which would severely weaken their position.

This whole situation reminds me of when Eli Manning was drafted by the Chargers and said he would not play for them. I'll bet you now Eli is thinking, wow I could have had LaDanian Tomlinson, that great offensive line and a top 5 defense...what an idiot I am.

Just who the BLEEP does Yi think he is? He hasn't proved anything yet. Sure, he may be the most exciting thing to come out of China since Yao, but in no way, shape or form has Yi earned the right to do this. We joke about Spencer destroying Wang Zhizhi in Summer League but Yi made a name for himself doing just that. Might be a little bit of a culture shock when he gets physically beat down by the Shaqs and Howards of the league.

And Yi's representatives are giving weak excuses to warrant this action. They say that Milwuakee won't provide the "proper development" for Yi's career. They might as well just say that the Bucks - suck, and they don't want him to go to a sucky team. Sorry Yi, that's how things work with the draft. If you are talented you are going to be picked higher up and go to crappier teams. It's all a part of a little thing we like to call - how do you say - reality.

And the main complaint is that Milwuakee doesn't have the asian population that Yi desires. Well I can't argue that, I mean Milwaukee is the essence of corn-fed, white, cheese-head america, but why would Sacramento be on Yi's list? Because it is within a few hundred miles of San Francisco? Ridiculous. Yi - if you were that concerned about the asian population then you should just stay in CHINA!

Yi is getting off on the wrong foot here in America, and if he doesn't produce right out of the gates, then he will be the laughing stock of the league, at least until the next time Isiah Thomas gets trigger happy.

And personally, I don't want a guy who hasn't proved anything and still feels that the most established basketball league in the world owes him everything. I am not an idiot, I realize he has potential but IMO he has just as much potential to be a bust as he does to be a success. And with an attitude that he has presented, I am leaning towards the bust side.

And personally, I don't want a guy who hasn't proved anything and still feels that the most established basketball league in the world owes him everything. I am not an idiot, I realize he has potential but IMO he has just as much potential to be a bust as he does to be a success. And with an attitude that he has presented, I am leaning towards the bust side.
I agree 100 percent, with this exception: I'm not sure that it's the kid driving it as much as the Chinese national basketball organization.

They wanted to showcase their kid in a big market with a large Chinese population. Reportedly, Sacramento was an "acceptable" market because of its proximity to the Bay Area, but my question is, is Yi's talent worth the trouble you potentially buy because someone in China is calling the shots?

Does he come to Sacramento, sit behind Shareef and Mikki Moore as he develops for a couple of years, and then we have to hear threats and complaints from the Chinese national organization because he's not getting enough PT?

While the Kings appear to be in the rebuilding mode, and thus able to give Yi plenty of time, I assume they didn't sign Moore for the full mid-level exception for no reason.

Young guys with potential aren't a bad thing. An instant 1 Billion fans are something that the Maloofs have to look at. I think that's why Yi was taken as high as he was just for marketing rather then for his skills. The number one jersey selling in China is Tracy McGrady, now I wonder how that happened??? If we could get him for something like SAR and a pick then yes pull the trigger. But I wouldn't trade Hawes for him. People talk all the time like it's Yi that doesn't want to play for the Bucks. This isn't an American we are talking about. This guy is literally owned by his government. He must do what they want or he doesn't play in the NBA at all.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
The chinese agents and the Chinese government directly are driving the effort to get Yi to a large chinese market. Yi has said nothing at all other than the standard draftee script of "..how great to play in NBA" and "... sure I'd like to play for milwaukee IN THE NBA". No Yi is no part of this at all. Seems the chinese may change agents yet again as Fagen doesn't seem to be working their side of the fence. If you remember Houston is not where they wanted Yao to go. The big chinese/Asian centers are San Fran, LA, Seattle and maybe NY. It's all about Chinese perception and getting more chinese americans into a mainland china product. Business. Bottom Line.

I agree 100 percent, with this exception: I'm not sure that it's the kid driving it as much as the Chinese national basketball organization.

They wanted to showcase their kid in a big market with a large Chinese population. Reportedly, Sacramento was an "acceptable" market because of its proximity to the Bay Area, but my question is, is Yi's talent worth the trouble you potentially buy because someone in China is calling the shots?

Does he come to Sacramento, sit behind Shareef and Mikki Moore as he develops for a couple of years, and then we have to hear threats and complaints from the Chinese national organization because he's not getting enough PT?

While the Kings appear to be in the rebuilding mode, and thus able to give Yi plenty of time, I assume they didn't sign Moore for the full mid-level exception for no reason.
Great points, I'm glad you brought them up.

At some point Yi has to take his own future in his own hands. If his representatives want to control everything about where he goes, then Yi is nothing more than a puppet for them. They probably keep telling him that they have his best interests at heart, but at some point he has to realize that what they are doing is partially wrecking his reputation and that will put much more pressure on him to succeed when he finally does get here.

And Milwuakee has to be thinking how the hell can this happen. If you enter the draft, then the agreement to go to whatever team drafts you should already be set. Milwuakee should be going to the league and ***** at them to get compensation for this. If Yi doesn't go to Milwuakee he should be banned from the NBA for 10 years and Milwuakee should get an automatic #6 pick in next year's draft.

At some point, the NBA, and furthermore any other professional league, needs to send the message that if you do this, then you don't get to play, WITH ZERO EXCEPTIONS. They need to be reminded that it is a privilege to play a fancy game for millions and millions of dollars.

Ewww...No Yi please. He's gonna bust.

Maybe if we get him we could send him to GS for Wright though...That kids got a bit more of a chance to make it in the NBA IMHO
Please lend me your crystal ball.. Lottery tomorrow night ;)

Yi has the tools that other players that were busts didn't have. I have a feeling about Yi, and Hawes now.

Regardless of how good Yi may or may not be, it's also an opportunity to move some money, which is where I see the benefit in addition to acquiring Yi.

He busts? Meh. He gets his 2 years, the team doesn't option the third and it increases cap space in the end. He shines? Bully for us.

Either way, I'm willing to bet that Petrie is looking into this. Whether anything comes of it is another story, but I'm betting quite a few GMs are calling up the Bucks and saying, "soo, what do ya want?" However, the longer this draws out, the more likely it will be the Bucks calling around, which would severely weaken their position.

Very well put. The only thing I would be afraid to lose is a draft pick in this situation..

Or take that backup center they have that makes a ton of money.. I don't want him.

Great points, I'm glad you brought them up.

At some point Yi has to take his own future in his own hands. If his representatives want to control everything about where he goes, then Yi is nothing more than a puppet for them. They probably keep telling him that they have his best interests at heart, but at some point he has to realize that what they are doing is partially wrecking his reputation and that will put much more pressure on him to succeed when he finally does get here.
Never heard of Communism huh? He doesn't have that option. Anyone remember all the stuff with the government with Yao joined the league?

SLAB

Hall of Famer
While I agree with much of this (as well as a few questions) the question of what we can/would offer has become more acute as this has drawn out. They resigned their PG, so Bibby is out. They are about to bring back Desmond Mason, so it would seem the SF (Artest) option would be out, and it seems too much to hope that they would be interested in an old guy in decline like Brad to teach Bogut.
I actually see Demond more as an energetic spark off the bench...There other SF option is Bobby Simmons who actually has the same(ish) contract as Ron Ron...Enoughso to make it work under the CBA. so my idea is.

Ron Artest

For...

Bobby Simmons
Rights to Yi JianLian

I would pull the trigger on that one...Simmons isnt all that bad, and Yi is really what you want.

If the Chinese government is blocking this so that they can get rich then that is just pathetic. Of course it is reality, but it is still pathetic nonetheless. By doing this they are potentially ruining the fabric that ties the two leagues together. If they want to make future money off of the future Yao's and Yi's then they just need to suck it up and let Yi go to the Bucks.

And how the hell do they even have control over this. If Yi wants to move to America, and if Yi wants to play in the NBA, than no one should be able to stop him for their profitability.

It just got released today, that the Chinese government says that Yi not playing for the Bucks has nothing to do with the chinese population there. They say it is not the right place for his "proper development". Umm, a young team that is struggling to find a star big man after the Bogut failure has room for Yi. A team where Charlie Villanueva, Andrew Bogut and Dan Gazudric are your competition for playing time is not a bad thing. If he is really "that good" then he should have no problem beating them out for minutes.

What control does the Chinese government have exactly? Can't Milwuakee just go around them? Send a plane, get him here, give him citizenship and learn how to say **** you in chinese. If the Chinese government gets pissed off then have David Stern explain to them the way that the NBA draft, and furthermore the NBA as a whole, operates.

Bricklayer

What control does the Chinese government have exactly? Can't Milwuakee just go around them? Send a plane, get him here, give him citizenship and learn how to say **** you in chinese. If the Chinese government gets pissed off then have David Stern explain to them the way that the NBA draft, and furthermore the NBA as a whole, operates.
Um...that's just not the way it works.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I think it would be great if the People's Republic of China put pressure on the Kings org to play Yi. While they're at it, maybe they could threaten the Kings org to play all the young guys more.:D

Last edited:
The Chinese government has nothing to do with this. It's Yi's team, the[SIZE=-1] Guangdong[/SIZE] Tigers, who is forcing the Bucks to trade Yi.

Yi is still under contract to the Tigers (according to the Milwaukee JS) and the Bucks cannot sign Yi without the Tigers' consent (and subsequent releasing of Yi from said contract). For example, if Barcelona wants to sign Kevin Martin, they'll need the Kings to release Martin from the existing contract first (with buyout, etc) before Barca can legally sign K-Mart. The Kings have every right to say, "Nah, I want to keep K-Mart. I don't want to release him."

So what's happening here is that the Tigers don't want to release Yi to play for Milwaukee. Most likely the Tigers will make Yi sign another contract that gives the Tigers a percentage his income as condition for releasing Yi, so they want to place Yi in a more commercially viable city to cash in on the endorsement money. But at any rate, this is money talking and the Tigers are the one calling the shot.

The Chinese government has nothing to do with this. It's Yi's team, the[SIZE=-1] Guangdong[/SIZE] Tigers, who is forcing the Bucks to trade Yi.
You're kidding right? I'm sure that the Chinese government hasn't picked up the phone and called the Tigers front office or anything like that. Those kinds of things would never happen. :rolleyes:

Bricklayer

So who owns the Tigers? It wouldn't be the People's Republic of China, would it?:D

No, actually apparently the Tigers are technically private. But those distinctions aren't quite what they are over here and the government has been intimately involved from the start in Yi's being "permitted" to come to the NBA.

Yi is still under contract to the Tigers (according to the Milwaukee JS) and the Bucks cannot sign Yi without the Tigers' consent (and subsequent releasing of Yi from said contract). For example, if Barcelona wants to sign Kevin Martin, they'll need the Kings to release Martin from the existing contract first (with buyout, etc) before Barca can legally sign K-Mart. The Kings have every right to say, "Nah, I want to keep K-Mart. I don't want to release him."

So what's happening here is that the Tigers don't want to release Yi to play for Milwaukee. Most likely the Tigers will make Yi sign another contract that gives the Tigers a percentage his income as condition for releasing Yi, so they want to place Yi in a more commercially viable city to cash in on the endorsement money. But at any rate, this is money talking and the Tigers are the one calling the shot.
Thank you for clarifying.

I suppose to avoid situations like this in the future, then international players should break their previous contracts BEFORE they are draft elligable.