No Kings in All Star game

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
The show survived adding the most thin-skinned "Can Dish It Out, But Can't Take It" Hall-of-Famer of all-time. It'll survive Draymond.

I'm just not sure that there's room at the desk for two guys who rode someone else's coattails to rings, though; might have to wait for Kenny to retire/leave for that front office job he's been teasing about doing for a decade now.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Are there really issues with SMF's location? SMF is 10 miles and 11 minutes from G1C (and ARCO was closer!) In contrast, LAX is 16.6 miles and 24 minutes from the Crypt, LaGuardia is 8.5 miles and 25 minutes from MSG (JFK is 16 miles and 50 minutes!), Midway/O'Hare are 12/19 miles from the United Center and 25 minutes either way...and had to check one more for obvious reasons - PDX is 10 miles and 19 minutes from the Moda center.

Unless you're going to put a helipad on the top of the arena, I don't think there are going to be a whole lot of airports closer to their basketball arena than SMF.
Woah woah woah, Capt. I'm on your side here but let's make sure we get the facts straight. I think you mean LAX is 16.6 miles and an hour and 24 minutes away from the Crypt. On a good day maybe you could make that trip in 45 minutes but that's only if you're weaving through traffic like you're auditioning for a Fast and Furious movie. Of course there's always public transit....

which takes even longer. o_O

Woah woah woah, Capt. I'm on your side here but let's make sure we get the facts straight. I think you mean LAX is 16.6 miles and an hour and 24 minutes away from the Crypt. On a good day maybe you could make that trip in 45 minutes but that's only if you're weaving through traffic like you're auditioning for a Fast and Furious movie. Of course there's always public transit....

mess just gonna say the same if you making it in 24 minutes you must be able to fly or something

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member

I was relying on google maps, which could have been lying. (Also, it was not rush hour at the time. Also it said the route had tolls.)

Greene is very bright and a reasonable person off the court. Good comments.
Unfortunately once he steps on the court, he has the maturity of a lot of guys I played against on the playground as young teenagers. We played for money. It is all so familiar. He just never grew up.

Looking at the bright side of Fox and Sabonis getting snubbed for the All-Star game...... they are going to get a full week off to rest and spend with their families and re-energize themselves for the stretch run..... they should use this snub as motivation to take it to the rest of the NBA after the break....

Lets bring it home with a top 6 seed finish and try to work some magic come the playoffs guys!!!

Ya and that’s when the show will die I won’t be watching
You still watch now? That show died a long time ago.

Barkley is really the only worthwhile thing about that show and even only sometimes. It's pretty clear that the entire panel, sans maybe Ernie, doesn't pay attention to 90% of the games. They don't even know who is on which roster half the time.

My mom can provide better analysis, ego free, and she never watches any games either.

The show survived adding the most thin-skinned "Can Dish It Out, But Can't Take It" Hall-of-Famer of all-time.
Shaq is awful at that gig. Kenny isn't really any better. But Shaq is living proof that being a former player doesn't automatically qualify anyone as an "expert" or being even remotely knowledgeable about the game.

Shaq may be a capable business man, but he's dreadful as a basketball analyst.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member

Not to revisit the airport debate, but does SMF meet these requirements? I honestly don't know but this might have something to do with why I said it was cited as a concern before. I can say that PDX does not and as a matter of fact, Portland currently fails to meet all three of these requirements. A quick check of SMF it appears the only countries it serves outside the US are Mexico and Canada (looks like 5 cities total) which may be the problem here.

I do feel Sac/Portland are very similar markets despite the differences of how our cities were built (sprawling vs. tight urban boundaries).

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

Staff member

Not to revisit the airport debate, but does SMF meet these requirements? I honestly don't know but this might have something to do with why I said it was cited as a concern before. I can say that PDX does not and as a matter of fact, Portland currently fails to meet all three of these requirements. A quick check of SMF it appears the only countries it serves outside the US are Mexico and Canada (looks like 5 cities total) which may be the problem here.

I do feel Sac/Portland are very similar markets despite the differences of how our cities were built (sprawling vs. tight urban boundaries).
I feel like the NBA should just explicitly blacklist Sacramento from hosting the All-Star weekend since that's their official stance anyways. Don't tell me you don't want to date anybody unless they're at least 6'3" and have an income of at least $200K when the actual fact is you just don't want to date *me*.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I feel like the NBA should just explicitly blacklist Sacramento from hosting the All-Star weekend since that's their official stance anyways. Don't tell me you don't want to date anybody unless they're at least 6'3" and have an income of at least $200K when the actual fact is you just don't want to date *me*.
Seems like they are narrowing the qualifications to about a half dozen cities depending how you read the international flight rules and some of those cities (Las Vegas) don't host an NBA team at present. I think any of the recent cities held at gun point for locally financed new arena deals are going to fail.

I drove through OKC on my trip in October, I doubt they have three 5-star hotels, next thing you know it will be Michelin star restaurants or 5 James Beard winners.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Seems like they are narrowing the qualifications to about a half dozen cities depending how you read the international flight rules and some of those cities (Las Vegas) don't host an NBA team at present. I think any of the recent cities held at gun point for locally financed new arena deals are going to fail.

I drove through OKC on my trip in October, I doubt they have three 5-star hotels, next thing you know it will be Michelin star restaurants or 5 James Beard winners.
City name must be multiple words; first word must consist of three letters; second word must not be "Antonio".

K

KTXL

(FOX40.COM) — Sacramento has been home to the Kings since 1985, but it is one of the few cities with an NBA team to have never hosted the All-Star Game. After the Golden 1 Center opened in 2016, Sacramento has been held back from hosting All-Star Weekend due to falling short of the required number […]

Continue reading...